Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

omeg posted:

I hope they allow defeating the last boss without killing the human drones. That felt extremely out of place.
You could hit them twice with a tranq dart actually. Also they were slightly more than drones I think. I really didn't like the implications of this scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm really no fan of cover shooters so having to stick to cover 90% of a fight because 2-3 hits could kill you always rubbed me the wrong way, which further convinced me to go the stealth route again.

Cheekio posted:

As a player who ghosted the first playthrough and am now trying the guns blazing approach, I can confidently say you've not tried shooting your way through the game. The weapons are underpowered, enemies are well armored and have spastic moving animations making headshots a challenge, and AJ is almost comically fragile.

I guess an additional challenge of going through the game guns blazing is that you have to deal with only getting about 1/3 the experience, so you can't max the augs you really need before leaving detroit.
Yeah that was my experience too. Someone who wants to do both styles in the same playthrough should start with a pacifist/ghost (or attempted ghost) attitude and switch to gunman mode in the second half with the augs and other upgrades they got from the easy start. I remember doing it the other way around and starting the game with the intention to be more direct and violent (unlike I usually play those games) and it was pretty bad for quite a while to the point I went back to my usual stealthy ways which constantly felt more rewarding, more satisfying and even faster.

I get that a lot of games do it wrong by making stealth a slower, less effective or at least less satisfying option (that also partially applies to Dishonored - it's obvious they only added it late in development, because all the fun upgrades are for violent, loud fights) which makes it feel gimmicky. DXHR went way too far the other way, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

Killing people is way easier than sneaking so you don't need as much XP. To be honest though you get way too much XP in the game as it is. By the end you can buy pretty much every augmentation and upgrade you want. I feel like the game should give you way less XP throughout so that you have to make more concrete choices and to prevent you from becoming so overpowered nothing in the game is an obstacle.

Except that's not true though? And what about someone who wants to play a sneaky assassin, does he also need less XP because he's killing people with guns that take more inventory space and takedowns which alert people for no good reason?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
He's a contrarian and/or troll and probably has a blog on immersion in video games.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

i prefer a checkpoint over manually saving and loading like its 1996 again.

I think game devs should invent a way for their game to create checkpoints, some sort of automatic save if you will. And then they could also have a manual save feature for people who want to save independently, but it's not a thing you have to use. But I don't know how feasible that would be.

Seriously though, checkpoints-only games suck, :getout:

orcane fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 12, 2016

• Locked thread