Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
About getting into the PD - does Haas get fired no matter how you resolve the conversation with him? I went for the dick move of pointing out his drugs and got in and he was a little upset, but I've heard you can use Absolution a lot and get in that way, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

OK, thanks. Next time I'll be nice to him. What happened with me was I entered my apartment building lobby and he yelled out I LOST MY JOB BECAUSE OF THAT STUNT rear end in a top hat and pulled a gun; but since the cutscene warped me to right up in his face I just tapped takedown and slugged him in the jaw. It was so quick it was absurd.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The laser is great though, grab that immediately. It basically turns the rest of the game into easy mode.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

Seriously though the 10mm in Human Revolution is the most overpowered thing since the 10mm in Deus Ex.

I like the revolver myself, but I agree. It just amuses me one weapon mod turns the revolver into basically the anti-everything weapon. Doesn't matter how armored they are or whether they're unaugmented, augmented, or robot. They all fall to explosive hardball.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

While less explosive and therefore less entertaining, the 10mm's armor piercing mod serves the same purpose and can be gotten right after the first mission, it can hold way more ammo per magazine which is also much more common than revolver ammo, and it can be silenced. It's crazy go nuts.

I know. I do agree with you the 10mm is the hands-down most ridiculous gun in the game, but I love my explosive bullets. Too much.

Now I just need suppressed explosive bullets...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

IMO, the PEPS is lovely but anyway.

While I definitely think the 10mm is hilarious in this game, I do have to say the combat rifle can become quite a behemoth as well. Yes, it's larger in the inventory but ammunition is extremely common after the first hub, and suppressed + auto + damage upgrade mods mean it's excellent at headshotting tougher goons with a quick burst. I also found that I could just take out enemies faster with quick bursts from the combat rifle than with 10mm taps.

I'd say both are viable long-term options, but the 10mm is far more powerful earlier in the game. The added range of the combat rifle served me well several times as well, it meant I didn't need to carry a sniper rifle.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I've never heard of this Smoke 39 mod ... why not use Shifter/ShifterOL/Biomod like the rest of us? :raise:

In seriousness - I remember the DX console to be annoying to work with but I think there's a console command which might force-remove that kind of thing and help you out. Or failing that, something to infinitely recharge your armor so, well, you won't die but at least you won't crash either!

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 14, 2011

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Wall-punching also makes you look exactly like Neo from the Matrix, which is hilarious. The animation is rigged just so.

Obviously this makes it twice as cool.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

KnightLight posted:

Trying to go nonlethal is driving me insane. My tranquilizer dart sneak attacks keep killing my targets. These aren't just random folks, either, they are required to complete missions!

I guess there will be no Pacifist achievement for me.

How exactly are you killing people with a tranq dart? Are they falling into electrified floors or what :confused:

Douche Bag posted:

Just got this. Is stealth/sneaking around an absolute ballbreaker in this game or do I just need to get that initial stealth upgrade?

It depends on which stealth upgrade you mean - the one which shows enemy cones of vision? Entirely optional. Upgrading your cloak, on the other hand, quite handy!

The cover system makes stealth pretty simple if you're patient. Exploring and finding alternate side routes like the inevitable convenient vent hidden behind a barrel makes it easier.

So no, you don't need the vision cone/guard cooldown timer augs unless you want them. And don't ever put points in that Mark and Track poo poo, trust me :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

There are some very convenient explosive barrels, but yeah if you don't have a bot killer like an explosive revolver, EMP, or something, it's tricky.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

surrender posted:

Also, am I the only one who didn't like the tranq rifle?

No, but I also didn't like the PEPS. The nonlethal approach was pretty unsatisfying. I want my riot baton and mini-crossbow again.

Meanwhile on the lethal end the 10mm, revolver, combat rifle all owned. I'm just about done with a nonlethal/foxiest/GMDX and it's just ... bleh. I am so bored of this drat stun gun, but the other options are all bad.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's in a tucked off corner near Diamond Chan's place, on street level.

I found it entirely by accident.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I feel like the answer is Eidos apologizing, ripping out the boss encounters wholesale and reprogramming them, but in the realm of actual probability, stun + explosive OD (be it Typhoon, mines, or otherwise) is pretty much it, yeah.

I hate the stun gun because it's SO BORING but it's also incredibly powerful. So.

also I was cheated out of my Foxiest run and I'm not sure how. When I was in the crash site everyone was on full alert immediately - did that ruin it? If so, how the poo poo do I avoid it? Other than that, I had no alarm.

e: removed silly spoiler tag

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 21, 2011

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Crappy Jack posted:

Did you hear an alarm go off?

no, but I finished the game and didn't get Foxiest. And I'm pretty drat sure that was the only time guards were Alarmed. I got Ghost and Smooth Operator all the time.

weird. Maybe I'll do a lethal/Foxiest playthrough and just murder everyone and hack everything.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Did you shoot the guys in the intro in the face? Right in their faces?

Nope. I did get Pacifist.

Crappy Jack posted:

Oh, that might be it, too. Did you ever fail a hack? Because that sets off an alarm.

...poo poo. In Detroit, probably. The first time.

:mad:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hah! Holy poo poo, Tecman. Nice!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

That's pretty much how all of the best things get into games. See also: Tribes skiing.

skiing is possibly the best bug Tribes ever could have had. It turned what was a competent and fun shooter into something straight up amazing which basically defined the series.

I say this as one of Those Assholes who ran heavy offense with a mortar and I'd memorized aim points on some of the skyboxes. Yeah. I loved skiing. A lot.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think the actual soundtrack came out a couple months ago, if I'm reading this Amazon page right. I listened to some of the previews but I didn't hear a clean copy of the intro walk into Sarif's office, with the UNATCO part. Is that available anywhere or am I reduced to some jerk's Youtube which has all the game audio and walking/talking noise baked in?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Anatharon posted:

I could be wrong, but I think the UNATCO music just has background sound as part of the music.

I think someone extracted it from the game files and this is right, but I know there's a clean copy somewhere out there (on Michael McCann's hard drive) :(

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way, how well does the original Deus Ex hold up? Is it still playable by today's standards?

In my opinion, yes. I mean the core gameplay is still solid, and still holds. It's ugly but not unplayably ugly. I'd suggest getting something like Shifter or Biomod to spice things up a bit, but that's optional.

I played it a ton when it was new so that may be some rose tint, but I don't think a lot of rose tint. A lot of DX still holds up. It's not like enemy AI has gotten much smarter over the years than the dumb as rocks DX AI :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If nothing else, getting the wall-punching aug early in the game is worthwhile because there's at least two praxis kits behind breakable walls. So it not only pays for itself but also gives a net gain of one praxis point unless you're tossing grenades at every single wall or using a FAQ to find them.

...buying that upgrade is the only way to see breakable walls, right?

I think buying it is what triggers them to highlight, but the breakable wall texture is noticeable even without the highlighting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Welcome to modern cover shooters, for better or for worse. Waist-high obstructions all over the place.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Tecman posted:

Kinda late, but...

Hahaha. I love Sarif.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is the machine pistol as crappy as it appears to be?

Yes.

But the revolver is awesome, you should use it. The explosive rounds upgrade means it's a viable anti-armor weapon so you don't need to carry around specific weapons to destroy bots, you just need more revolver ammo.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, my entire first run of the game I didn't even take Typhoon. I had a little trouble with the electrical floors nonsense but the other bosses were fine. Explosive revolver, meet face.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Shifter/Biomod made the PS20 awesome.

Actually Shifter/Biomod just made an excellent game even more excellent in general.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That says more about you than it does about IW, dude

To me, IW's biggest flaw is this: Illusion of choice is kind of important in games - you want the player to feel like the choices they make matter. IW has no illusion of choice. It makes it very clear, very early, that nothing you do means a thing and and nobody will ever hold anything against you at all ever until you come to the very very end, at which point who cares.

I get how they didn't want players to feel 'locked out' - not a bad idea in theory - but the way in which they executed was terrible.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

haveblue posted:

That sort of design was clearly a direct response to Warren Spector's view that one of the biggest flaws in the original Deus Ex was that you were forced to defect from UNATCO. They pushed it too far in the other direction, though.

Hindsight is 20-20, of course, but it seems like the logical middle ground would've been the game never railroading you out of a particular faction, but your choices could, depending on how you played it. Perpetually tell the Templars to die in a fire and they lock you out. Throw them a bone once or twice and they'll be grumpy but not lock you out. Ditto every other faction, etc. Maybe give an optional bonus quest to try and get back into their good graces, maybe not, but that way the player is never forced into one faction's camp except by their own actions.

I don't know why they didn't try that angle. Too expensive in terms of development resources, maybe.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

OAquinas posted:

They could also resolve the ammo bulk issue by having each gun draw from the same ammo "pool."

:golfclap:

looking at that DXHR inventory screenshot, I realize that's really a giant mess and I must've dealt with it okay but I sure don't remember ever playing inventory tetris. I did a ton of it in the original Deus Ex, but ... huh. Completely forgot about it in HR, which I guess meant it wasn't a problem. 10mm + revolver solved every problem anyway.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The GEP Gun is also the best lockpick. It's pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's cool, XCOM2 got pushed back to February so I can play that instead and then wait for Mankind Divided and ... :sigh:

• Locked thread