Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

frogbs posted:

I recently bought a refurbished iPod and want to load it up with my old music collection. I found a backup from 2013 with all my music and a .itl file of the iTunes library. I’ve followed every guide out there on how to load this into the Music app, but no matter what I try I can’t get Music to switch to using the old library. Holding option when I open the app doesn’t do anything. I know I could just drag all the music into the app, but it would be nice to have all my old playlists and stuff.

Has anyone run into this?

You using a Mac? Not Windows, correct?

The key used in Windows for picking a library has always been different than Mac (Shift I think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Last Chance posted:

You using a Mac? Not Windows, correct?

The key used in Windows for picking a library has always been different than Mac (Shift I think)

Yeah I’m on a Mac.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hmm. Are you holding down option/alt before clicking the Music app and launching it?

That’s usually how I get that dialog to show up. Not sure if it works if you hold option while it’s already launching/icon bouncing

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Last Chance posted:

Hmm. Are you holding down option/alt before clicking the Music app and launching it?

That’s usually how I get that dialog to show up. Not sure if it works if you hold option while it’s already launching/icon bouncing

Yep, holding it down before I even click 'Open'.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah that’s weird. Are you using a regular Mac keyboard with no custom key mappings?

Used to have a coworker who would remap control, option, etc on Mac keyboards.

Just a shot in the dark but maybe try holding command or control instead in case there have been remapping?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Last Chance posted:

Yeah that’s weird. Are you using a regular Mac keyboard with no custom key mappings?

Used to have a coworker who would remap control, option, etc on Mac keyboards.

Just a shot in the dark but maybe try holding command or control instead in case there have been remapping?

I tried with my usual keyboard I plug in that does have custom mappings, and the keyboard on the MacBook. Same behavior in both cases. Maybe the custom mappings is also in place for my laptop keyboard somehow even when the other keyboard is plugged in? Guess I’ll check that next.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling
Does anyone else get a bug in Apple Music where playing an album automatically turns on shuffle. It's really annoying, especially as there's a big 'shuffle' button next to the 'play album' button for when you want to do that. I'm tearing me hair out trying to fix this. It might be enough to drive me back to Spotify.

edit: ok not that anyone cares but it turns out because sound was routing through the homepods paired to a TV I had to log in to apple music on the TV, play an album, and then toggle off shuffle on there, for the setting to apply across all my other devices. Cool ecosystem, Apple!

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 20, 2024

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

frogbs posted:

I tried with my usual keyboard I plug in that does have custom mappings, and the keyboard on the MacBook. Same behavior in both cases. Maybe the custom mappings is also in place for my laptop keyboard somehow even when the other keyboard is plugged in? Guess I’ll check that next.

I recommend adding a brand new user account, logging into that, and using it to import the ancient iTunes database. Besides resolving all possible doubt about keyboard remapping (because none should be set up when logged into a newly created account), you won't have to worry about loving over your modern iTunes library while you go to town doing any risky thing you can imagine to force the old one to import.

Oops I meant "force a copy of the old one to import", don't do any of this with your only copy of the data

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

Imagine using magic mouse

lmao

lol

edit: I remember there being an app that would allow for copy and pasting multiple items and saving them to a clipboard so you could paste saved items whenever needed instead of say opening a text file that you use often and C&P from that. Does anyone know the name of this program? I finally have a use for it but can't remember what it's called.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 20, 2024

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

edit: I remember there being an app that would allow for copy and pasting multiple items and saving them to a clipboard so you could paste saved items whenever needed instead of say opening a text file that you use often and C&P from that. Does anyone know the name of this program? I finally have a use for it but can't remember what it's called.

There’s a bunch of these. I use an open source one called Maccy. A popular paid option with more festures is Pastebot. Once you work a clipboard manager into your workflow it’s so hard to go back.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Model Camper posted:

There’s a bunch of these. I use an open source one called Maccy. A popular paid option with more festures is Pastebot. Once you work a clipboard manager into your workflow it’s so hard to go back.

Maccy is good. Alfred also has this which is what I use at the moment. Raycast will also do this for you although I'm viscerally turned off by anything that foregrounds AI in the marketing so much

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

So for Clipboard history, I like PastePal - It's a universal app, so it has an iOS companion that syncs up your history on iCloud so you can easily access it from your iPhone.

Alfred Powerpack also has a Clipboard History, but it's less user friendly and more expensive. I have and use both in different situations.

For copying and pasting more advanced snippets with formatting like cover letters, resumes, BBcode, markdown, etc, I use Snippety, which is a universal app as well, but it's definitely more of a power user thing.

As an example, for SA URLs in this post, I type ";[" and this pops up to fill in:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 20, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thanks everybody! Maccy looks like it perfectly Suits My Needs™ so I'll get that :)

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Is it still possible to install Windows 8 (or 8.1) via Bootcamp on an Intel Mac? I can't find any info on it - just 7 or 10. Do I just follow the same instructions, but with a Win8 ISO? And I'm assuming 64 bit?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

HorseHeadBed posted:

Is it still possible to install Windows 8 (or 8.1) via Bootcamp on an Intel Mac? I can't find any info on it - just 7 or 10. Do I just follow the same instructions, but with a Win8 ISO? And I'm assuming 64 bit?

Yes, just use the Win8 ISO.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Model Camper posted:

Now my one question since I got Maccy: how do I copy and paste and completely delete the formating? A couple of my most used texts for emailing clients I saved on a Stick-ies notes and when I copy them and paste, the text includes a yellow background color. I've gone into Maccy's preferences and toggled on the "Paste without formating" switch on but it doesn't seem to help this problem.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lmao

lol

Finder > Edit > Show clipboard

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Now my one question since I got Maccy: how do I copy and paste and completely delete the formating? A couple of my most used texts for emailing clients I saved on a Stick-ies notes and when I copy them and paste, the text includes a yellow background color. I've gone into Maccy's preferences and toggled on the "Paste without formating" switch on but it doesn't seem to help this problem.

Is there anyone ever who's actually wanted to paste with formatting? It really confuses me why it's the default. Only exception I've actually liked is MS edge turning bare URLs into links with the text being the title of the page

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Generic Monk posted:

Is there anyone ever who's actually wanted to paste with formatting? It really confuses me why it's the default. Only exception I've actually liked is MS edge turning bare URLs into links with the text being the title of the page

I don't know about with formatting, but some programs (like word :arghfist:) love to interpret “without formatting” as only giving the base text, not including other content such as footnotes. So you get the lovely choice between, paste with the (wrong) source formatting, paste with the (supposedly, but invariably wrong) matching local formatting, or paste without actually pasting everything. Yay.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I am constantly opening up a TextEdit window purely to paste and re-copy text without formatting, completely forgetting there’s an Alfred shortcut that would do it for me :doh:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does anyone know how macOS displays apps with respect to color gamut? I’m assuming the default config is reduced/standard gamut and if your app needs to display wide gamut you need to set some specific flags in code? Otherwise displaying rando 3rd party apps in full gamut of modern Mac displays would probably look wrong/bad.

Here’s my situation, I’m using specific HP Remote Desktop app from my local Mac to a work machine. The work machine is setup to display in P3 color but I don’t think there’s a way to manually set my local Remote Desktop app to also display in P3 when it wasn’t coded to do that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My dad has been using mail.app on his new Mac and he doesn’t like the way that when you attach a document to an email it shows a great big preview of the document instead of just an icon. Can this behaviour be changed?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lord Bude posted:

My dad has been using mail.app on his new Mac and he doesn’t like the way that when you attach a document to an email it shows a great big preview of the document instead of just an icon. Can this behaviour be changed?

TBH I'd like to know this too. Mail has some really strange choices about attachments, particularly images. Multiple times I've tried sending my family a handful of photos and it scrunches them down to thumbnail size even though a) they show up full-size in the message body prior to sending, and b) I have "Actual Size" selected for attachment handling. (One at a time is usually okay, it's like there's a byte size threshold that triggers it or something.) And I have no way of knowing what it will do until it gets to them and they're like "uuuhhh what are these, vacation photos for ants? Weren't you supposed to be good at computers?"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 21, 2024

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Only for new emails you write yourself. Anything incoming is still subject to Apple's whims, and as bonus funtimes, there are semi-approved and semi-hidden ways of making attachment show as icons that make them not show at all on the receiving end. So yay.

For the new-mail preview, you can use
code:
defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tippis posted:

Only for new emails you write yourself. Anything incoming is still subject to Apple's whims, and as bonus funtimes, there are semi-approved and semi-hidden ways of making attachment show as icons that make them not show at all on the receiving end. So yay.

For the new-mail preview, you can use
code:
defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

thanks. It’s something at least. I assume doing this won’t be one of those things that causes issues at the other end?

edit: trying this out in a terminal window on my mac just throws up an error message, is there something else that needs to be done?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Right, it probably requires full disk access permissions these days. :cripes:

So yeah, you will see mail the Apple-approved way and you will like it!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Lord Bude posted:

You have to do this every time, but you can right-click on the preview and do 'View as Icon' to shrink it down to write around it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hi macOS appreciators,
I want to do a thing where whenever I save a file in a specific folder, all the spaces are removed from that folder and replaced with underscores.

I would run this command
code:
for f in *\ *; do mv "$f" "${f// /_}"; done
Is there a way to do this with Shortcuts or Automator or something The Apple Way (instead of using inotify)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dans Macabre posted:

Hi macOS appreciators,
I want to do a thing where whenever I save a file in a specific folder, all the spaces are removed from that folder and replaced with underscores.

I would run this command
code:
for f in *\ *; do mv "$f" "${f// /_}"; done
Is there a way to do this with Shortcuts or Automator or something The Apple Way (instead of using inotify)

The most Apple-approved way is probably a folder action in Automator.

New > Folder action.
Pick the folder you want it to act on.
Add a “Rename Finder Items” action.
Set it to “Replace Text”, with a space in the Find field and an underscore in the Replace field.
Save and name it, and you're set.

Unless you specify otherwise (or move it), it will end up in ~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions, and if you want it gone, you simply delete it from there.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

TACD posted:

I am constantly opening up a TextEdit window purely to paste and re-copy text without formatting, completely forgetting there’s an Alfred shortcut that would do it for me :doh:

Cmd-Opt-Shift-V also works.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

SaintFu posted:

Cmd-Opt-Shift-V also works.

That’s a lot buttons to be pressing at once when there’s a million ways to do it easier.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any recommendations on good animation software on macOS?

I don't mind paying for software but I hate Adobe's subscriptions.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Tippis posted:

The most Apple-approved way is probably a folder action in Automator.

New > Folder action.
Pick the folder you want it to act on.
Add a “Rename Finder Items” action.
Set it to “Replace Text”, with a space in the Find field and an underscore in the Replace field.
Save and name it, and you're set.

Unless you specify otherwise (or move it), it will end up in ~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions, and if you want it gone, you simply delete it from there.

Worked perfectly. Thank you!!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

Welp, my laptop keyboard had the 'Option' key binding set to 'Control' somehow. It's probably been like this for YEARS. No idea how I didn't notice it before. I guess I don't use the option key that often. Now the music app will let me select a library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Small White Dragon posted:

Any recommendations on good animation software on macOS?

I don't mind paying for software but I hate Adobe's subscriptions.

Blender is free, works well on macOS and will do 3D and 2D animation. Clip Studio Paint has tools for hand drawn animation. OpenToonz is free, but buggy and not compiled for Apple silicon. Krita is free, and I think it will do 2D animation.

Everything else I can think of is subscription based, and expensive.

If you’ve got an iPad, RoughAnimator and Procreate Dreams are both decent.