Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Dans Macabre posted:

sniped from firefox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

I use WordStar 4.0 on a 286.

This is the best option as long as you have one of those tall and narrow full page displays for the ultimate experience

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

HorseHeadBed posted:

Is there a word processor that's basically Textedit's rich text mode but a liiiiittle bit more fully featured? I really only need headers and footers, but basic styles might also be nice. I know about Markdown and like how light it is, but I don't really see the point of making one type of file to make another type of file. Docx and rtf to the bitter end.

have u considered teaching him LaTeX

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've had a 24" M1 iMac for two years now and I barely use it. Every time I try to force myself to use it I get hung on on one thing: the loving mouse pointer control in macOS sucks absolute poo poo.

At first I thought it was just the Apple Magic Mouse, and while that is the worst mouse I have ever used, it isn't just that. I have tried several different mice, Logitech's Logi+ app, 3rd party github mouse pointer apps. Nothing. The mouse acceleration always feels unnatural to me, causing me to over or undershoot the things I want to click constantly, no matter the settings. The scrolling, since they refuse to give you "one mouse wheel click = X number of lines no matter what" as an option, always feels laggy and jumpy. The hacks that attempt to override this only result in the scrolling being even more jumpy and sporadic.

Any other suggestions before I give up and sell this thing?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've had a 24" M1 iMac for two years now and I barely use it. Every time I try to force myself to use it I get hung on on one thing: the loving mouse pointer control in macOS sucks absolute poo poo.

At first I thought it was just the Apple Magic Mouse, and while that is the worst mouse I have ever used, it isn't just that. I have tried several different mice, Logitech's Logi+ app, 3rd party github mouse pointer apps. Nothing. The mouse acceleration always feels unnatural to me, causing me to over or undershoot the things I want to click constantly, no matter the settings. The scrolling, since they refuse to give you "one mouse wheel click = X number of lines no matter what" as an option, always feels laggy and jumpy. The hacks that attempt to override this only result in the scrolling being even more jumpy and sporadic.

I feel your pain but with kde’s mouse acceleration or whatever. macOS feels perfect to me. Just like, I hear you

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Steermouse. It's 20 bucks, which is a little ridiculous for something that should have just been a few settings in the OS to start with, but it does exactly what you're asking for here and does it well. I've been using it happily for years.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

Steermouse. It's 20 bucks, which is a little ridiculous for something that should have just been a few settings in the OS to start with, but it does exactly what you're asking for here and does it well. I've been using it happily for years.

I'll give this a shot since it has a free trial, but I've tried a few recommended github programs that I can't recall the name of that look just like this with the same options. The newest Logi Options+ combined with the MX Anywhere 3S (a very good mouse though a little overpriced) also more or less does this.

Basically macOS forces scroll acceleration on you in an attempt to make mouse wheels feel like touch scrolling. I don't want that, if I rotate the mouse wheel one click, then I want that to always move the page the same distance. In Windows, you define this by number of lines per mouse wheel rotational click which I set to "5". That way, when you spin the mouse wheel faster, the page scrolls faster in a consistent way. Every single thing I've tried that attempts to fix this ends up making it feel like the fix is fighting the macOS scroll behavior.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'll give this a shot since it has a free trial, but I've tried a few recommended github programs that I can't recall the name of that look just like this with the same options. The newest Logi Options+ combined with the MX Anywhere 3S (a very good mouse though a little overpriced) also more or less does this.

Basically macOS forces scroll acceleration on you in an attempt to make mouse wheels feel like touch scrolling. I don't want that, if I rotate the mouse wheel one click, then I want that to always move the page the same distance. In Windows, you define this by number of lines per mouse wheel rotational click which I set to "5". That way, when you spin the mouse wheel faster, the page scrolls faster in a consistent way. Every single thing I've tried that attempts to fix this ends up making it feel like the fix is fighting the macOS scroll behavior.

There's a Steermouse setting for exactly that. I use it myself, and it's the only thing I've found that actually works and doesn't run into the problems you describe.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

There's a Steermouse setting for exactly that. I use it myself, and it's the only thing I've found that actually works and doesn't run into the problems you describe.

Oh nice. I’ll get this a try then, thanks!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

nm, apparently Steermouse will fix the problem for $1300 + $20

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 5, 2024

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I have a bunch of 3840x2160 120 FPS HEVC videos. What software can I use to batch crop them to 2732x2048?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Handbrake should be able to do that I believe

https://handbrake.fr/

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Peteyfoot posted:

I have a bunch of 3840x2160 120 FPS HEVC videos. What software can I use to batch crop them to 2732x2048?

Yep, seconding Handbrake. Create a custom profile to output your video to 2048p, then simply add each video you want with an output filename, save to the queue, and when you’ve added them all, run the queue. It’s great for fire and forget bulk conversions.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

The mouse cursor polling rate/acceleration in macOS is absolutely loving terrible and has been a problem for years if you search online.

I had a macbook air m1 for a month with this same problem and returned it for this exact reason, wasted over 2 weeks of my time trying to make the mouse cursor not feel like hot garbage to no luck. Same thing you and lots of other people you find searching online have gone through. Changing mice, messing around with settings, downloading (lmao at paying for) one of those lovely apps like steermouse, which didn't work for me.

There is a big reddit write up post on it that was super informative but I can't find it again. It was a pretty long post breaking down why the person thinks it was happening and boils down to bluetooth in the M chips being poo poo/bugged/broken. It didn't have many solutions but using a mouse wired/2.4ghz wireless dongle instead of wireless over bluetooth. But you didn't say if you were using a bluetooth mouse or not and I find it hard to believe that it would fix the problem anyway.

The summary of the reddit post was the dude saying it has been a problem for a long time and he is hard pressed to think that apple is going to fix this anytime soon, which I agree with. I imagine they don't see it as a problem. That too and most of the time you search online for the problem people constantly say stuff like 'feels fine to me' or 'why are you using a gaming mouse on a mac?' to 'just use the trackpad lol'

I kind of want to get a m3 macbook air, because passively cooled computing baby. But I just know this bullshit will still be there. Not interested in putting up with my primary input of the computer being gimped for such an expensive system.

In my opinion just sell it, you said you don't use it anyway and used macs do a good job of holding their value.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Handbrake should be able to do that I believe

https://handbrake.fr/

Hasturtium posted:

Yep, seconding Handbrake. Create a custom profile to output your video to 2048p, then simply add each video you want with an output filename, save to the queue, and when you’ve added them all, run the queue. It’s great for fire and forget bulk conversions.

I appreciate y'all. :thanks: Incredible that free software does this, I thought I'd have to poney up some cash.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Handbrake ftmfw

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tokit posted:

The summary of the reddit post was the dude saying it has been a problem for a long time and he is hard pressed to think that apple is going to fix this anytime soon, which I agree with. I imagine they don't see it as a problem. That too and most of the time you search online for the problem people constantly say stuff like 'feels fine to me' or 'why are you using a gaming mouse on a mac?' to 'just use the trackpad lol'

To be fair, I game on a mac with the trackpad :smuggo:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I went to the Mac App store and saw that Apple Remote Desktop was $79.99. Last time I checked about 2yr ago I thought it was less? Never the less I tried to buy it but it said my mac (2015 MBP) was too old and it required MacOS 13 or later. Am I SOL? Can I still somehow get an older build? Can I maybe buy it on a newer supported Mac and then on the older mac download the last compatible version?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 8, 2024

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Shaocaholica posted:

I went to the Mac App store and saw that Apple Remote Desktop was $79.99. Last time I checked about 2yr ago I thought it was less? Never the less I tried to buy it but it said my mac (2015 MBP) was too old and it required MacOS 13 or later. Am I SOL? Can I still somehow get an older build? Can I maybe buy it on a newer supported Mac and then on the older mac download the last compatible version?

What are you trying to do? Every Mac has VNC support built-in, no extra software necessary. Type vnc://destination.ip.goes.here into the address bar in Safari.

If you need to remote into Windows machines, Microsoft RDP is free on the App Store (or you can also use VNC for that).

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Tokit posted:

The mouse cursor polling rate/acceleration in macOS is absolutely loving terrible and has been a problem for years if you search online.

I had a macbook air m1 for a month with this same problem and returned it for this exact reason, wasted over 2 weeks of my time trying to make the mouse cursor not feel like hot garbage to no luck. Same thing you and lots of other people you find searching online have gone through. Changing mice, messing around with settings, downloading (lmao at paying for) one of those lovely apps like steermouse, which didn't work for me.

There is a big reddit write up post on it that was super informative but I can't find it again. It was a pretty long post breaking down why the person thinks it was happening and boils down to bluetooth in the M chips being poo poo/bugged/broken. It didn't have many solutions but using a mouse wired/2.4ghz wireless dongle instead of wireless over bluetooth. But you didn't say if you were using a bluetooth mouse or not and I find it hard to believe that it would fix the problem anyway.

I kind of want to get a m3 macbook air, because passively cooled computing baby. But I just know this bullshit will still be there. Not interested in putting up with my primary input of the computer being gimped for such an expensive system.

In my opinion just sell it, you said you don't use it anyway and used macs do a good job of holding their value.

I have definitely considered that it could just be brainworms from using Windows for 30 years that makes me hate mouse pointer control on macOS, but good to know I'm not alone.

The refusal to allow you to turn off mouse wheel acceleration is baffling to me, though very on-brand with Apple I guess.

I might sell it. What's the best way to sell an iMac? I'd rather not do eBay, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
eBay, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You can try SA Mart, or take a hit on value and trade it in to Best Buy or another retailer for store credit. There are a few companies that will just buy them from you as well, sellyourmac.com is owned by OWC.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TBH, I've been using Macs all my life so windows mouse accel feels off :colbert:

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Quackles posted:

TBH, I've been using Macs all my life so windows mouse accel feels off :colbert:

Same here. I grew up using only Windows until I was in my early 20s. When I switched to Mac, the mouse felt so slow, no matter how fast I made it. Now I've been using Macs for the past 20 years and Windows mouse tracking just feels so inaccurate to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't know if Apple changed the mouse accel but I used to feel the difference between mac and win/linux all the time but now I don't feel it. I use linux and windows at work everyday since 2010 and the mouse accel in both windows and linux feels the same. Maybe my brain rewired itself over the last 15yr.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I have definitely considered that it could just be brainworms from using Windows for 30 years that makes me hate mouse pointer control on macOS, but good to know I'm not alone.

The refusal to allow you to turn off mouse wheel acceleration is baffling to me, though very on-brand with Apple I guess.

I might sell it. What's the best way to sell an iMac? I'd rather not do eBay, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace.

Probably brainworms all around. I can see easily somebody using a mac most of the time thinking it feels fine, then the other way around for someone who is used to windows. I think the mouse feels fine on linux though. :shrug:

You can try some other things if you want to waste more time on it. But I didn't have much luck in the time I spent finding a solution. I'm going to have to wait for a 2-1 touch screen mac I guess, pls tim apple

Quackles posted:

To be fair, I game on a mac with the trackpad :smuggo:

real gamers use trackballs :colbert:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tokit posted:

real gamers use trackballs :colbert:

...ligma trackballs? :eng101:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I tend to always scroll with my trackpad, even if I’m using the mouse (which I mostly only do if I’m playing a game.)

The only time scrolling feels weird is when I’m using windows in a VM via parallels and I can’t tell if it’s because of something to do with MacOS or if my mouse wheel is dying (I suspect the latter).

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

The real :psyduck: is someone calling Steermouse lovely. That app is the GOAT. :colbert:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

sellyourmac.com is owned by OWC.

How reputable are they? I'm not sure who OWC is.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ThermoPhysical posted:

Other World Computing: https://www.owc.com/

They've been in the Mac scene for a long time, they're reputable.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

They've been around since 1988 and have been making gear for Macs since at least the late 90s. I bought RAM for my old santa rosa blackbook from them back in like 2009, and for my sandy bridge iMac in 2012. Extremely reputable company.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 9, 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
OWC might be more reputable than Apple when it comes to Apple.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I just rec got into the Mac ecosystem about 4 years ago. Thanks for the clarification! I’ e not heard of Sell My Mac before but they do give more than Apple or Best Buy do.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

Luceo posted:

The real :psyduck: is someone calling Steermouse lovely. That app is the GOAT. :colbert:

Imagine having to pay for an app to fix your operating systems broken mouse cursor and scroll wheel functionally.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I switch between Windows and Mac every day and don’t feel anything different about the mouse so I’m assuming this thread is actually targeted harassment at me, specifically.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Scrolling on macOS does feel weird, but I downloaded ”Mos” for free and it completely solved the scrolling feeling weird. Mouse acceleration itself feels fine though, and I swap between windows and macOS daily.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FCKGW posted:

I switch between Windows and Mac every day and don’t feel anything different about the mouse so I’m assuming this thread is actually targeted harassment at me, specifically.

do you use the power of FlipFlopWheel?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Same. I use both operating systems heavily and I’ve never noticed the difference in “mouse acceleration”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I've only been using a mac for about a week but the only mouse-related foible I have is with scroll direction.

If I plug in a mouse - dongle, bluetooth, wired, doesn't matter - and disable Natural Scrolling under the Mouse settings, I get the behavior I want. Two fingers up on trackpad to scroll down and mouse scroll wheel down to scroll down. As soon as I unplug the mouse, though, I have to go back and re-enable Natural Scrolling under Trackpad settings. Because for some reason macOS forgets that they are two different input methods that should be treated separately. It's something I never had to deal with in Windows.

Otherwise mouse movement feels fine. I have to get used to its speed and whatever, but every mouse I've ever used in Windows felt different from each other, so this isn't so dissimilar.