Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I quite like DBeaver but I also don’t know if my use case is very typical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I also vote for DBeaver mostly because it’s cross platform but not garbage. I can use it on Windows or Mac quite effectively.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

DBeaver looks pretty good and addresses my pain point with Ace, thanks! I'll have to see what I can do to tweak things a bit but this should do the trick.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Warbird posted:

This might be outside of the usually scope of the thread but what is the go to MySql client for Mac these days? Workbench is fine but I don't love it and the auto completion is slow. SequelPro is dead as hell from what I understand.

Sequel Ace seems solid but I figured I'd ask before I start getting invested with it and there is a better option out there. Beekeeper Studio seemed neat but I don't need or want to pay a monthly subscription if there are perfectly good free/FOSS options available.

https://www.jetbrains.com/datagrip/

Paid but I haven't found anything better for working with databases at a professional level. There's a free trial if you wanna try it

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

This might be outside of the usually scope of the thread but what is the go to MySql client for Mac these days? Workbench is fine but I don't love it and the auto completion is slow. SequelPro is dead as hell from what I understand.

Sequel Ace seems solid but I figured I'd ask before I start getting invested with it and there is a better option out there. Beekeeper Studio seemed neat but I don't need or want to pay a monthly subscription if there are perfectly good free/FOSS options available.

I use Sequel Ace because I don't want to pay for having more than 2 tabs open, but if you don't mind spending a bit of money, TablePlus is easily the nicest looking client out there.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Warbird posted:

DBeaver looks pretty good
code:
INSERT INTO Beaver
VALUES (D)
:wink:

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Surprised no one mentioned https://tableplus.com/ yet.

I use it for accessing redis, sqlite, sql server, and mysql. Also it comes with https://setapp.com/ which alone made the subscription worth it for me.

edit: nvm my reading comprehension sucks apparently.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 3, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's a good pdf editor these days?

I used to use pdf expert but it feels too sluggish and full of poo poo I don't care about, and I thought I was grandfathered into a premium plan but I reformatted my Mac from scratch and now I have only the basic version and can't figure out how to fix that?

I've tried using Preview and it isn't sufficient and blows. One thing that got me super frustrated today was I somehow accidentally highlighted everything on the page, somehow, and then cmd-z didn't work to undo it. The undo feature only undid my last text/form entry and not the most immediate thing I did (highlight all text in orange). So I had to just download the form again from scratch and fill it out again from scratch. Also it asks me all the time if I want to use auto fill and ffs no I don't but it won't stop asking.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Weird Installer problem

I'm trying to upgrade my 2020 m1 MacBook Air from Ventura to Sonoma. I have enough disk space. I've downloaded the latest installer package from apple (I spent some time failing with software update and the App Store and got fed up with waiting for a fresh download every time I tried). However, when I launch the "Install macOS Sonoma app" it launches, immediately quits, and deletes itself. I've tried safe mode etc with no change. What could be the problem?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

yaffle posted:

Weird Installer problem

I'm trying to upgrade my 2020 m1 MacBook Air from Ventura to Sonoma. I have enough disk space. I've downloaded the latest installer package from apple (I spent some time failing with software update and the App Store and got fed up with waiting for a fresh download every time I tried). However, when I launch the "Install macOS Sonoma app" it launches, immediately quits, and deletes itself. I've tried safe mode etc with no change. What could be the problem?

Not a complete solution, but if you move the installer application from the /Applications folder and place it in your User folder it shouldn’t automatically delete itself. As for the hanging/crashing install I’m not too sure. Not finding any other instances of this via google searching. Which version of Sonoma are you trying to install?

Edit: Additional question, since you direct downloaded rather than going through software update or the app store, did you download the .dmg or the .ipsw version of the installer? My understanding is the .ipsw is a restore image, so that might also be the issue if that's the one you downloaded.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 4, 2024

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Branch Nvidian posted:

Not a complete solution, but if you move the installer application from the /Applications folder and place it in your User folder it shouldn’t automatically delete itself. As for the hanging/crashing install I’m not too sure. Not finding any other instances of this via google searching. Which version of Sonoma are you trying to install?

Edit: Additional question, since you direct downloaded rather than going through software update or the app store, did you download the .dmg or the .ipsw version of the installer? My understanding is the .ipsw is a restore image, so that might also be the issue if that's the one you downloaded.

The latest one I think, also it merrily deleted itself from my user folder as well :)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Have you tried running first aid on your install disk from disk utility? I'm not certain that would cause an issue with installing/updating the os, but if there's something corrupted that could potentially be involved. Also to save you from having to download the installer a million times, maybe put it on a usb stick and then copy the installer to your desktop and launch from there, that way if it deletes you still have the one on the flash drive? Sorry I can't be of much more help, this is a really bizarre sounding issue.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Branch Nvidian posted:

Have you tried running first aid on your install disk from disk utility? I'm not certain that would cause an issue with installing/updating the os, but if there's something corrupted that could potentially be involved. Also to save you from having to download the installer a million times, maybe put it on a usb stick and then copy the installer to your desktop and launch from there, that way if it deletes you still have the one on the flash drive? Sorry I can't be of much more help, this is a really bizarre sounding issue.

It's really weird, I ran disk first aid, no problems found. I guess I'll give up and see if the next Sonoma update works any better...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chalupa Joe posted:

cmd+opt click

Thanks to everyone who responded!

cmd+opt click opens in a. window behind the current one, shift+cmd+opt click opens a new window in front.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's a good pdf editor these days?

I used to use pdf expert but it feels too sluggish and full of poo poo I don't care about, and I thought I was grandfathered into a premium plan but I reformatted my Mac from scratch and now I have only the basic version and can't figure out how to fix that?

I've tried using Preview and it isn't sufficient and blows. One thing that got me super frustrated today was I somehow accidentally highlighted everything on the page, somehow, and then cmd-z didn't work to undo it. The undo feature only undid my last text/form entry and not the most immediate thing I did (highlight all text in orange). So I had to just download the form again from scratch and fill it out again from scratch. Also it asks me all the time if I want to use auto fill and ffs no I don't but it won't stop asking.

Still looking for this, also, how do I do a comprehensive battery diagnostic on my Intel MBP? Not trying to janitor my battery or anything but I just turned my laptop on and it said it was at 70% battery but the USB-C cable wouldn't charge it. I rebooted the laptop and when it tried to boot up again it refused and gave me the black screen telling me my battery was dead and I needed to charge it. 10 minutes later my laptop booted up just fine and now it's charging.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I am in need of a good dupe finding tool. Over the years I’ve backed up files from my pc and my wife’s machine and clearly we just keep adding to this and have so many duplicate files and images and I was wondering what everyone’s go to app is. It doesn’t have to be the fastest but we have images, videos, and random files I’d rather not have 2-3 duplicates of.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Am I stupid or is it painful to edit an image on macOS by default?

I scanned a document (a signature) via the notes app on my phone. AirDropped it to my MacBook. Then I used Adobe Acrobat to export it to a png format.

Now I want to do some basic editing of the file like cropping, making the background solid white, and resizing but the image opens in the "Preview" app that doesn't allow me to edit it. Do I need third party software?

I ended up just doing it all on my Windows laptop via Irfanview but was hoping macOS had comparable software?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

god this blows posted:

I am in need of a good dupe finding tool. Over the years I’ve backed up files from my pc and my wife’s machine and clearly we just keep adding to this and have so many duplicate files and images and I was wondering what everyone’s go to app is. It doesn’t have to be the fastest but we have images, videos, and random files I’d rather not have 2-3 duplicates of.

last time I needed a dupe tool I ended up using jdupes, available on homebrew. It's a command line app and it can't do fuzzy matching for resized/cropped images but it is free

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kiwid posted:

I scanned a document (a signature) via the notes app on my phone. AirDropped it to my MacBook. Then I used Adobe Acrobat to export it to a png format.

Now I want to do some basic editing of the file like cropping, making the background solid white, and resizing but the image opens in the "Preview" app that doesn't allow me to edit it. Do I need third party software?

I ended up just doing it all on my Windows laptop via Irfanview but was hoping macOS had comparable software?

I've used image resizing on Preview before when making Telegram stickers. Does it not do that now?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've used image resizing on Preview before when making Telegram stickers. Does it not do that now?

There is a pencil icon but it's greyed out. No idea why.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kiwid posted:

There is a pencil icon but it's greyed out. No idea why.

You want to use the icon two icons to the right. The greyed out one is for highlighting and notes in a pdf.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Preview can also batch resize, convert, crop multiple photos at once.

And if you have an M-based Mac it can remove backgrounds and make transparent pngs. It’s really nice.

I just used it to crop a bunch of photos of gift baskets for an office raffle and separate them from the background, it worked surprisingly well.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Branch Nvidian posted:

You want to use the icon two icons to the right. The greyed out one is for highlighting and notes in a pdf.

omg...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kiwid posted:

The other photo-specific app on Macs is Photos, which has about as many editing options as Lightroom's library editor. You can do close cropping with Photos really easily too in the right-click menu. Same as Preview.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Preview has hidden editing capabilities and I'm always surprised by them because (1) the app is called "Preview" and makes me think it's for previewing things and (2) they're not super intuitive like what button to push.

Same with the post-screenshot editor thing. Look at these icons... Which button do you think lets you draw a line? The squiggly line? The other squiggly line? The pencil drawing a straight line?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How does the logic of what has "focus" of the media controls work? Is there some way to change what has that focus? Occasionally I'll have a youtube video playing and try to pause via F8 but that input is intercepted by something else that hasn't been messed with in hours.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Warbird posted:

How does the logic of what has "focus" of the media controls work? Is there some way to change what has that focus? Occasionally I'll have a youtube video playing and try to pause via F8 but that input is intercepted by something else that hasn't been messed with in hours.

I can't tell you what makes it decide to sometimes change focus, but when there's multiple media items the system can play, you should get a menu bar widget which looks like a play button with a circle around it. Click it and you'll see a list of all current playable media with pause/play/fwd/back buttons. Clicking on things here seems to set focus for the keyboard media controls.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Warbird posted:

This is something that used to just work flawlessly but a few years ago they changed something and hosed it all to hell.

If I ever make the mistake of watching a video on Twitter the media controls will be stuck trying to operate on that video until I close the entire Safari window (not just the tab).

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Dans Macabre posted:

Preview has hidden editing capabilities and I'm always surprised by them because (1) the app is called "Preview" and makes me think it's for previewing things and (2) they're not super intuitive like what button to push.

Same with the post-screenshot editor thing. Look at these icons... Which button do you think lets you draw a line? The squiggly line? The other squiggly line? The pencil drawing a straight line?

Yeah I've always thought this as well - even the windows screenshot editor is more intuitive even though it is a bit more rudimentary. Then again with this at least you can type text on the image rather than having to scrawl it.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Cross-posting from the iOS thread:

Any recommendations for non-subscription software to make 2D layouts? My primary need is to be able to keep things to scale according to my measurements. Here’s an example of what I want to convert to raster form and have correct scaled dimensions:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I used TouchDraw on my iPad a few years ago for just that purpose. Don’t know if there’s a MacOS port.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I used TouchDraw on my iPad a few years ago for just that purpose. Don’t know if there’s a MacOS port.

Looks like there is! Thanks for the heads up on that app, it looks like a great option!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Peteyfoot posted:

Cross-posting from the iOS thread:

Any recommendations for non-subscription software to make 2D layouts? My primary need is to be able to keep things to scale according to my measurements. Here’s an example of what I want to convert to raster form and have correct scaled dimensions:

just sketchup at this point. The iPad app is useful for checking dimensions on the go, may have some premium features but I haven’t checked on those because the desktop app is free and perfect

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

tuyop posted:

just sketchup at this point. The iPad app is useful for checking dimensions on the go, may have some premium features but I haven’t checked on those because the desktop app is free and perfect

I'll check this out as well, thank you!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to register a hardware key with Apple that gets used only in specific circumstances?

I use keychain for passwords and 2FA codes and was wondering if there's a way to have a hardware key as a backup or as a security layer if someone tries to reset some of my "critical" accounts (e.g., primary email, Apple ID, etc) or in a case where someone has my Apple password and also can intercept a message from another device to "authenticate" the reset. Also, some way of allowing me to reset or re-access my Apple ID in case there's an act of god that destroys all my logged-in Apple devices in one sweep (I would presumably have a duplicate hardware key offsite or something).

I imagine a scenario where I need to use the hardware key to perform major actions or as a last-ditch authentication method, but otherwise it does nothing day-to-day.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can use a hardware key as a second factor in place of code-to-trusted-device, but I don’t think there’s a way to only require it in “special” circumstances.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102637

It would work in the case of complete device loss, though, as long as you remembered your password.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Having a hardware token for your Apple account is great if you you’re worried about somebody attempting to login to your account from a non-authorized device.

It doesn’t do much if somebody physical possession of one of your Apple devices and the passcode, though. You may need to register two tokens to prevent an accidental loss of one of them and being locked out, too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They require you to register two, I believe.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

is there a good mac ebook reader that supports a bunch of formats and syncs stuff in the cloud? im sick of books dot app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mia Wasikowska posted:

is there a good mac ebook reader that supports a bunch of formats and syncs stuff in the cloud? im sick of books dot app

Bookfusion has a webapp