Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Just finished upgrading to Lion and already I'm having problems.

My ethernet port is now all but useless. I can assign it an IP and it says "Connected", but I can't ping the Mac from other machines on the network, I can't ping anything from the Mac, and I can't even ping its own IP from the Mac itself.

What the gently caress?

EDIT: Hurf, durf, that was easy. The upgrade installer nuked the subnet mask in the network config. :rolleyes:

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

~Coxy posted:

They replaced it with their own implementation which apparently works with Win7 machines but not much else, including WinXP and random NAS devices/ XBMC/Boxee/etc.

You can install samba3 through MacPorts, and I'm sure someone will package it soonish when it becomes apparent that we're back to the 10.1 days of nothing loving working interoperability-wise.

There is an RC build on the boxee box forums that works with Lion. It supports Lions SMB, AFP, and also NFS

For clean installs. Once you run the installer, reboot and hold down option. you will have a Recovery HD option now. Boot to it and you can clean install lion.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 20, 2011

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

hannibal posted:

- Is there a newer XCode out now? I thought I had the version from the MAS but when I launch it I get an error saying XCode 3 is not compatible with Lion (of course). The Mac Dev Center seems to be overwhelmed right now (maybe other people trying to download xcode?)
Doh. I have a long-standing bug that has yet to be fixed in Xcode 4...

KidDynamite posted:

If you have a paid dev account you can get Xcode 4 for free. If not it's 5 bucks on the app store.
I believe you need Xcode 4.1 for Lion, actually.

hannibal posted:

The Mac Dev Center seems to be overwhelmed right now (maybe other people trying to download xcode?)
I haven't been able to hit it for the last few hours, glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Hey, anyone using Lion, what's the status of QT7? In the betas, it would offer to download it if needed, but always failed.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
I'd love a listing from you guys of 3rd party software that you've confirmed is working/not working on Lion right now. At least the big names. I just read that the latest Ableton Live is hosed.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

~Coxy posted:

They replaced it with their own implementation which apparently works with Win7 machines but not much else, including WinXP and random NAS devices/ XBMC/Boxee/etc.

I've been using it with XP, Samba, and other SMB implementations with no problems. At this moment I'm connected to an XP share and there's an XP computer connected to my shares.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Make sure you update gfxcardstatus for lion support
http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

KidDynamite posted:

If you have a paid dev account you can get Xcode 4 for free. If not it's 5 bucks on the app store.

And no sadly Xcode 3 does not work on Lion. I hope some new Obj-C, OS X, and iOS books come out written using Xcode 4.

I realize this, but I don't see Xcode on the MAS anymore. Searching for 'xcode' just comes up with some shortcuts app. It's still in my Purchased list but when I click on it I get a "Could not complete this request" error.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Oh phew, you can disable the reversed scrolling direction. As long as I have another computer that can't run Lion, no way in hell am I switching.

And it seems we have to wait for a while before we can do time machine backups to anything other than the time capsule or another mac. You need the latest netatalk version to support all the required AFP features, and that version is closed source (for now) due to the maintainer trying to force NAS vendors to pay him.

http://trick77.com/2011/07/15/about-os-x-lion-nas-time-machine-compatibility-netatalk-gpl-violations/ has all the dirt!

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

So, uh, apparently iTunes 10.4 is now 64-bit Cocoa on Lion? That seems like a bigger deal than is worthy of an incremental minor version bump.

EDIT: BIG NEWS ITUNES 10.4 ON LION DOES NOT HAVE ANNOYING STUPID NON-STANDARD WINDOW WIDGETS ANY MORE

chutwig fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 20, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there any reason the dev site would be getting hammered right now?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Um guys???

edit: just in case people don't get my confusion

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 20, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

huge pictures

CMD+Shift+4 then Space, learn it man!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I downloaded the entire 10.7 image in seconds at work (dedicated 100 Mbps connection). Apple's servers can certainly dish it out.

I'm burning it to DVD now.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Do I have to again download ~3gb of Xcode 4, even though I've already downloaded it in SL?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha. looks like roaringapps.com is getting hammered.
anyone know if logic is completely cool on Lion?

brap fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 20, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

FCKGW posted:

CMD+Shift+4 then Space, learn it man!

Sorry! I can't edit out the picture I attached through SA though. Sex Parrot to the rescue?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So does anyone know what's up with QT7 on Lion? I'm worried about installing now that someone else is worried. :ohdear:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm downloading Lion for my MBP at home right now, but I have 2 machines at work that I would like to upgrade (they are my macs, this isn't a :files: question since we are allowed 5 installs per Lion purchase) but they are connected to lovely, lovely DSL. Trying to download a 3.5 gig file on those crap phonelines would be bullshit, so can I just throw the .dmg file onto a usb stick and upgrade the work macs via that?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

El Jackalope posted:

I'm downloading Lion for my MBP at home right now, but I have 2 machines at work that I would like to upgrade (they are my macs, this isn't a :files: question since we are allowed 5 installs per Lion purchase) but they are connected to lovely, lovely DSL. Trying to download a 3.5 gig file on those crap phonelines would be bullshit, so can I just throw the .dmg file onto a usb stick and upgrade the work macs via that?

You get unlimited installs with lion btw plus 2 vm's per machine.

Yes, you can image the dmg to a usb stick or burn it to a dvd with disc utility.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

El Jackalope posted:

Do it before you install Lion on your machine, it will delete the installer after you install it.

Strange that XCode 3 works for you, it flat out refused to install when I upgraded.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Looks like Internet Sharing is busted on Lion. Under Snow Leopard I had a configuration set up where I would share my office wireless connection with my desktop via Ethernet on my MacBook Pro.

Worked like a charm, until I upgraded to Lion. Now, while I can get the two machines to see one another and ping one another and even ssh to one another, I can't get the desktop to reach the internet through the MacBook anymore.

This loving sucks. I really need this connection. Anyone have any suggestions?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

You get unlimited installs with lion btw plus 2 vm's per machine.

Yes, you can image the dmg to a usb stick or burn it to a dvd with disc utility.

Thanks dude.

flyboi posted:

Do it before you install Lion on your machine, it will delete the installer after you install it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: is the location for that in the Downloads folder once it's done dling from the App Store?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Don Lapre posted:

Which is only good for upgrades right? And you can run it off the stick? Does it force an AppleID login every install?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

El Jackalope posted:

Edit: is the location for that in the Downloads folder once it's done dling from the App Store?

I believe it's in /Applications and called Mac OS X Lion Installer or something or perhaps Install Mac OS X Lion

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ziploc posted:

Which is only good for upgrades right? And you can run it off the stick? Does it force an AppleID login every install?

No, you can clean install off of it. Insert usb drive or dvd, boot up holding option, and boot off of it. No authentication required. You are never asked for an appleID or anything.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Don Lapre posted:

No, you can clean install off of it. Insert usb drive or dvd, boot up holding option, and boot off of it. No authentication required. You are never asked for an appleID or anything.

This is amazing. I was going to hold off, but it turns out I can make my own USB Lion key for 30$ instead of waiting for physical release?

If yes, then I will click the buy buttan.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ziploc posted:

This is amazing. I was going to hold off, but it turns out I can make my own USB Lion key for 30$ instead of waiting for physical release?

If yes, then I will click the buy buttan.

Yes, you can.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

I can't upgrade to Lion on my MacBook, but will the apps like iCal and Mail update? Or will they be part of a new iLife but still run once purchased? Or they won't work at all because they have lots of Lion specific stuff?

Ak you're all too excited about your new shiny stuff, but I'm going to try again. Does anyone know if the new Mail/Address Book will work with Snow Leopard on a Dual Core MacBook?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KidDynamite posted:

Is there any reason the dev site would be getting hammered right now?
Maybe it's not getting hammered and they're updating it?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, you can.

So many thank yous. :f5h::)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I already used Disk Utility to image the hidden install image onto a nice fast 2.5" drive, optimized the drive by cloning it to yet another drive and cloning it back onto the 2.5", and it works like a charm; much faster than the USB key since it's in a FW800 / USB enclosure.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Xcode is back up on the MAS and free for Lion users.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/xcode/id448457090?mt=12

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

hannibal posted:

Xcode is back up on the MAS and free for Lion users.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/xcode/id448457090?mt=12

Awesome. Time to play!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The Kins posted:

I'm going to be getting the new Macbook Air (my first Mac!) on the weekend, and I'm wondering if there's anything I really should get at the same time. What sort of apps would you guys consider must-have for an OSX newcomer?

Also, from what I understand, iWork doesn't come with new Macs like iLife does, and I'll be typing lots of lecture notes that I'd like to be able to read in Word 2007 on PC. What should I choose to get, iWork or Office 2011?

Depends heavily on what you want with it / where you're coming from. If you are a Windows user, TotalFinder rocks your world.

As far as iWork, yes, it's a separate package. It reads Office docs just fine, but it won't save them if I remember correctly.

Personally, I like them just fine for casual use, but if you're going to be doing heavy spreadsheet stuff, or having to do a lot of file exchanging with office apps, it's probably best to just get Office.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I dual-boot my Macbook with Windows 7 and SL using rEFIt. Will installing Lion likely gently caress my setup up or overwrite rEFIt or something? Has anyone with a similar setup tried it?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
This just popped up on my Twitters:

Make An OS X Lion Boot Disc

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/make-an-os-x-lion-boot-disc/

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Ak you're all too excited about your new shiny stuff, but I'm going to try again. Does anyone know if the new Mail/Address Book will work with Snow Leopard on a Dual Core MacBook?

They will not. You want Lion versions, you buy Lion, one way or another. Your way's just more expensive than most people's.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

Sri.Theo posted:

No, new bundled apps never work with the old OS.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option
Does anyone know how to control Launchpad a bit better? It's picking up all the application stubs that Parallels has made and no X appears when I go into re-arrange mode. This is leaving me with a 90ft long Launchpad which is a little annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

HondaCivet posted:

I dual-boot my Macbook with Windows 7 and SL using rEFIt. Will installing Lion likely gently caress my setup up or overwrite rEFIt or something? Has anyone with a similar setup tried it?

On a new blank hard drive, installing Lion will create a hidden recovery drive partition, forgot the exact size but it's at least 20-30 GB. I'd imagine it'd gently caress up a non-standard setup (anything with partitions other than HFS+) hard, but I'll try it on one of my BootCamped machines and see.