Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

sonicice posted:

How do I exit full screen mode? :stare:

Move your mouse all the way to the top of the screen so the menu bar drops down. Then hit the blue double-arrow button in the upper-right corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

Accipiter posted:

Move your mouse all the way to the top of the screen so the menu bar drops down. Then hit the blue double-arrow button in the upper-right corner.

The arrows aren't there in Chrome when I'm in full screen, only when it isn't in full screen

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Workgroup Manager is busted.

I just installed the Server Admin Tools for 10.7. "Server Admin" seems to work, but not "Workgroup Manager".

- Every time you open it, it opens with however many connection dialogs you had open, plus one (open it 20 times, it will open with 20 windows).

- It will NOT connect. I enter in the server name, username, password, then hit enter - it just sits. I can close the program, so I know it isn't locking. It just isn't connecting or doing anything.

I deleted the com.apple.WorkgroupManager* files from ~/Library/Preferences, but it didn't seem to help any.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Accipiter posted:

That works fine in Safari but not in full screen Chrome. I've no idea how to exit full screen in Chrome.

e:f,b

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
So I was in such a rush to install Lion that I didn't make myself a copy from the installer. Is there a way to do this after you're on Lion? Re-downloading from the App Store doesn't work because it says I have a newer version already downloaded.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Chrome isn't using the system fullscreen support, it's using its own implementation.

Try hitting ⌘-Shift-F.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ghumbs posted:

That works fine in Safari but not in full screen Chrome. I've no idea how to exit full screen in Chrome.

e:f,b
Shift-Cmd-F

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Hey that's neat, if you set a desktop background it remembers unique ones for each mission control desktop. Did spaces use to do that? (i never really got into using spaces)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pretty interesting article about Internet Recovery mode, another new feature of Lion:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/20/new_macbook_airs_mac_minis_feature_lion_internet_recovery_disc_less_repair.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Anyone else having trouble running Software Update? I'm getting freezes that can only be fixed by rebooting my machine.

EDIT: Maybe this has to do with the Spotlight indexing taking place?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Workgroup Manager is busted.

Server in general is a hot mess.

I wouldn't bother installing it yet even for evaluation purposes. Hopefully they can sort out the issues for Server 10.7.1, because there's a solid foundation underneath the slapdash finish work.

Unless you're trying to admin a Snow Leopard server from 10.7 client, in which case I got nothin'.

error1 posted:

Hey that's neat, if you set a desktop background it remembers unique ones for each mission control desktop. Did spaces use to do that? (i never really got into using spaces)

Nope, it's new for Lion. Great little feature (especially if you leave "please randomly rearrange my spaces" turned on).

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

error1 posted:

I think you could do that with Hyperspaces but no it wasn't present in regular Spaces.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

This is me trying to install the newest version of Xcode from the App Store. It's telling me to close iTunes but iTunes was never open to begin with. What do I do?

error1 posted:

The new Safari version is probably awesome enough to make me switch back from Chrome, full screen browsing and swiping two fingers left and right to navigate pages is implemented really well.

You realize that in SL you could swipe three fingers left and right for the same functionality right?

Molten Llama posted:

They're not open. They're recent documents. (Note they're displayed as documents, not windows.)

It's a new feature of Lion. You can also see this in action in TextEdit. If you want to see your minimized windows instead of recent documents, sucks to be you.

Well whatever is it, I want them gone. How do I get rid of them?

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!
Has anyone been able to successfully link their User Account to their Apple ID? Mine keeps giving me an error.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Badger posted:

Pretty interesting article about Internet Recovery mode, another new feature of Lion:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/20/new_macbook_airs_mac_minis_feature_lion_internet_recovery_disc_less_repair.html

That's pretty sweet. I wonder what they did to make this work?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

lelandjs posted:

That's pretty sweet. I wonder what they did to make this work?

Put network drivers on the recovery partition and have it download the install image.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Holy poo poo this owns. If you replace the drive on your new MBA or Mac Mini, you just boot up to Internet Recovery mode, connect to wifi, authenticate your App Store ID and it re-installs Lion for you over the internet.

This is the future man.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Ziir posted:

This is me trying to install the newest version of Xcode from the App Store. It's telling me to close iTunes but iTunes was never open to begin with. What do I do?

There's usually an iTunes Helper process running in the background. Maybe try killing that?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Have there been any issues in Lion with VMWare fusion? Thinking about upgrading.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

Have there been any issues in Lion with VMWare fusion? Thinking about upgrading.

Fusion 3.1.3 is ready to rock.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Oh lame.

Full screening an app only fullscreens it on the main monitor. Leaving the external monitor to become absolutely useless.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Don Lapre posted:

Put network drivers on the recovery partition and have it download the install image.

Lion Internet Recovery does not require a recovery partition. It is currently only possible on the new Mac mini and MacBook Air.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This is how I feel as well. I don't really get what Launchpad offers that isn't already available through the Application folder. Or by just typing in the name of the program you want to run through the search.

It doesn't offer anything strictly new, but it has advantages over those two methods. For instance, you can't search for an application if you can't remember the name (or misremember the spelling). The Finder interface is a little unintuitive and hard-to-find for new users. And you can reach the launchpad with a single multi-touch gesture.

It's not really designed for power users but it's a helpful crutch if you're new to Mac.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Oh lame.

Full screening an app only fullscreens it on the main monitor. Leaving the external monitor to become absolutely useless.
There's much hate for two monitor setups. I have five programs always open, visible on all Desktops on my left screen for monitoring and such, and now every time I switch a Desktop it animates the left screen and changes its wallpaper and zoome those applications in again. :argh:

eames
May 9, 2009

How do I add a js-bookmarklet to the Bookmarks Bar in Lion? :psyduck:

For example: http://translate.google.com/translate_tools
In SL I could just drag the link to the Bookmarks Bar, this doesn’t seem to work anymore.

//edit: Nevermind, it works just like it used to. Not sure why I couldn't drop it the first few tries, maybe I had a hidden dialog box open.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Monkeyseesaw posted:

There's usually an iTunes Helper process running in the background. Maybe try killing that?

It's iTunes Helper. This happened to me too, and killing iTunes Helper fixed it.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Crisis posted:

It doesn't offer anything strictly new, but it has advantages over those two methods. For instance, you can't search for an application if you can't remember the name (or misremember the spelling). The Finder interface is a little unintuitive and hard-to-find for new users. And you can reach the launchpad with a single multi-touch gesture.

It's not really designed for power users but it's a helpful crutch if you're new to Mac.
Still...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like Secure Virtual Memory is now on by default with no way to toggle it? Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Still...

Oh screw you. I had a moment of :psyduck: where I was trying to figure out why that was popping up on my Windows machine. :haw:

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!
I don't mind not using two monitors anymore. Lion + Magic Trackpad = :awesome:

Using swipes to quickly go between apps, and using mission control to get an overview is just great.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
will there ever be a way to jump from leopard to lion or is SL always going to be a required step? I've googled around and there's no good info on what will happen down the road. Will the thumb drive edition allow for direct upgrades?

I want to upgrade but I'm not in a huge rush, and find it kind of annoying having to buy an OS I will not use.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Kobayashi posted:

I am ridiculously excited for Lion. My first OSX upgrade experience.

I think I am going to copy my home directory an external USB drive and re-install Snow Leopard from scratch, just so I can experience things the way Steve intended me to.

It's like Christmas everyday.

You don't need to do this. The OS X installer is smart enough to do a proper upgrade.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Is it possible to burn a DVD after running the install? I thought making a boot disc was officially supported, so I ran through the process expecting to see some option somewhere. When I didn't see it, I searched Google. Everything I found said to go into the "Install Mac OS X Lion" package, but after installing, it seems to have deleted itself.

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar
nm

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

FCKGW posted:

Holy poo poo this owns. If you replace the drive on your new MBA or Mac Mini, you just boot up to Internet Recovery mode, connect to wifi, authenticate your App Store ID and it re-installs Lion for you over the internet.

This is the future man.

The tech has been around forever, I was network booting and remote deploying OS9 in like 2000. The rest of the world infrastructure just hasn't caught up until now.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Ziploc posted:

Oh lame.

The second monitor is used for auxiliary windows.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn
Just installed Lion...

Using the reversed scroll thing with the magic trackpad is not bad at all. It actually makes a strange kind of sense.

Safari is MUCH more responsive. I don't know why. It was terribly sluggish and occasionally didn't even load pages on 10.6.whatever version it was yesterday. It felt like using Opera when you tell it to "load new page data every 20 seconds".

iTunes looks better for some unknown reason.

Still fiddling with it, but it is a definite improvement. I'm a new Apple user, but this has made me a bit of a fan. Then again, it kinda frightens me to think of how cruddy Safari might have been for the last 9 years or so for the rest of you.

The full screen option is awesome considering the maximize button doesn't actually maximize some windows the way Windows does it.

edit: the scrollbar can be turned on in the preferences...

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 20, 2011

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Aww, the new version of Safari got changed the behavior of the back button. It used to do something (always rerun scripts?) that meant unread post counts were accurate when backing into thread lists. Now, it shows the old count like Firefox does, meaning to get the updated counts, I have to hit refresh. The new features are nice otherwise, but that one feature made browsing the forums even nicer. Is there a reason for the new behavior?

toady posted:

How so? I tried opening the Organizer from a fullscreen Xcode window, and it actually went through the whole animating to fullscreen deal itself.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Toady posted:

Which no full screen apps use?

I'd rather the app full screen on the monitor it was sitting in. Leaving the other monitor fully usable for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

zergstain posted:

Is it possible to burn a DVD after running the install? I thought making a boot disc was officially supported, so I ran through the process expecting to see some option somewhere. When I didn't see it, I searched Google. Everything I found said to go into the "Install Mac OS X Lion" package, but after installing, it seems to have deleted itself.

I wondered the same thing. Anyone know?