Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Yeah, I bite the bullet and use Logitech’s software on macOS so I can flip scrolling with the mouse and adjust per-app functionality for my Mx Master 3. I’m sure there are third party apps that use less resources but are more of a pain to set up, or cost money, so I just deal with Logitechs software.

MacOS’s window snapping management out of the box isn’t very good either, but expose, multiple spaces, and trackpad gestures are “good enough” for most (Windows swiped these features, funny enough).

Some claim Microsoft own the patent for window management and that stops them swiping that functionality, but if you’re super particular about that kind of thing, there are dozens of < $10 apps with all sorts of approaches to windows management that might work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Rectangle is free and pretty much all I need for window management.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What kills me is that the trackpad settings are all great but you can’t make the mouse scrolling good without messing with both at once. Thankfully that’s fairly easy to address via Mos and BTT or whatever your personal preference is.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Tokit posted:

Imagine having to pay for an app to fix your operating systems broken mouse cursor and scroll wheel functionally.

That actually isn't the reason I use it, since none of that poo poo bothers me. The Logitech Options software doesn't let you set buttons 4 and 5 to click 4 and 5, and Steermouse does. I paid for it like over a decade ago and it does its job perfectly.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Imagine using magic mouse for 14yr until your brain rewires itself to like it because you didn't know you could use any other mouse or other mice exist.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tokit posted:

Imagine having to pay for an app to fix your operating systems broken mouse cursor and scroll wheel functionally.

Works on my machine.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Model Camper posted:

What are you trying to do? Every Mac has VNC support built-in, no extra software necessary. Type vnc://destination.ip.goes.here into the address bar in Safari.

If you need to remote into Windows machines, Microsoft RDP is free on the App Store (or you can also use VNC for that).

Ah thanks. Got this to work on the local network but couldn't get it to work from my home to my work. Maybe sleep is bad on the remote machine?

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Shaocaholica posted:

Ah thanks. Got this to work on the local network but couldn't get it to work from my home to my work. Maybe sleep is bad on the remote machine?

Nice! Ah yeah, wake on LAN can still be flaky in TYOOL 2024. I’ve had really good luck using ZeroTier to remote into sleeping machines though, if you’re able to install software on that work machine. I do this to remote into my parents machine for tech support, even when they aren’t home.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Model Camper posted:

Nice! Ah yeah, wake on LAN can still be flaky in TYOOL 2024. I’ve had really good luck using ZeroTier to remote into sleeping machines though, if you’re able to install software on that work machine. I do this to remote into my parents machine for tech support, even when they aren’t home.

Cool I’ll try it out. It’s not a work machine. It’s my personal machine but at work so I can do whatever.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Y’all I just wanna tell you that I’ve been using Mac since about 2006 and yesterday for the first time ever I used pbpaste. Awesome.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I have definitely considered that it could just be brainworms from using Windows for 30 years that makes me hate mouse pointer control on macOS, but good to know I'm not alone.

The refusal to allow you to turn off mouse wheel acceleration is baffling to me, though very on-brand with Apple I guess.

I might sell it. What's the best way to sell an iMac? I'd rather not do eBay, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace.

https://linearmouse.app/

Free and allows you to turn off the acceleration and pick scroll direction on a per-device basis. Yes it should be basic functionality included with the OS and yes even with the acceleration off it still feels a bit different, but absolutely good enough. I love the OS but the way the mouse behaves has always been a dealbreaker for me, this basically sorts it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Dans Macabre posted:

Y’all I just wanna tell you that I’ve been using Mac since about 2006 and yesterday for the first time ever I used pbpaste. Awesome.

idgi. Cmd + C/V works just fine.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Warbird posted:

Yes which is why I haven't used it until yesterday, but what happened was I had a bunch of text in the clipboard that I needed to put into a text file, and instead of opening an editor and pasting it I just did `pbpaste > poop.txt` and it Just Worked.

I'm sure there' some actual big boy use case for this but I'm not programmer enough to know it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh oh oh, I see. Can’t think of a good use case either but it’s a good trick to have.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Warbird posted:

It's useful for command line scripts, I have a command in my .zshrc to generate a UUID and dump it into the clipboard with pbcopy.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Warbird posted:

Oh oh oh, I see. Can’t think of a good use case either but it’s a good trick to have.

People in this thread will probably chime in with some obvious ones but here's a post (sorry about medium) that someone wrote https://medium.com/decisionbrain/leveraging-the-macos-clipboard-on-the-command-line-with-pbcopy-and-pbpaste-f61e1df72f67:

quote:

Why use commands rather than ⌘C/⌘V?

The examples above can in most instances be performed using the keyboard shortcuts for copy/paste (or the menu entries for the mouse-inclined). However, there are two main reasons why I would want to use the pbcopy and pbpaste commands.

One reason is that it makes command lines self-contained. What I mean is that, by reading the command line, you can clearly see when the transfer between the clipboard and the command line happens. Granted, this argument is a matter of style, and may be discarded for one-shot commands. It becomes more relevant when you need to repeat the command several times in your workflow.

The other reason is that these commands preserve the exact content of the clipboard. This is especially important when such distinctions as between tabs and spaces matter—typically when copy-pasting in Excel. If you use your mouse and keyboard to select and copy the output of the du command above, you will get a variable number of space characters between the first and second columns. With pbcopy, you will get the exact output of du, that is, a tab character.

In the same vein, I noticed that when the content of the clipboard is too long, pasting it into the Terminal does not work well. This is typically a case where pbpaste is better suited.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Honestly, one of the biggest wins from using Raycast for me has been assigning OPT-SHIFT-C as a hotkey to the Clipboard History

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is the M3 Pro/Max 14" MacBook Pro a good desktop replacement machine? My roommate needs a device to replace his M1 iMac with and wants portability but also a desktop. He had the 16" MBP M1 but it was too heavy for his backpack and he got the iMac instead.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is the M3 Pro/Max 14" MacBook Pro a good desktop replacement machine? My roommate needs a device to replace his M1 iMac with and wants portability but also a desktop. He had the 16" MBP M1 but it was too heavy for his backpack and he got the iMac instead.

Yes. It'll be faster than the iMac and essentially the same speed as an equivalent 16".

Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 12, 2024

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ThermoPhysical posted:

The M1 iMac was the base M1 chip, not M1 Pro or M1 Max. If he's happy with the iMac's compute power and just wants it portable, the base model 14" MBP with the non-pro M3 chip will be significantly more powerful, just tell him to make sure he gets at least as much RAM as the iMac.

The 24" M series iMacs aren't high end computers, they all have base M series chips, not Pro/Max chips. Only the Airs are less powerful, and that's only because they lack a cooling fan.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I worry that at some point Apple will throw their hands up and decide that 'no one gives a poo poo about the GPU' and stop trying to stuff more GPU cores in each successive chip generation like a haughty chef trying to overstuff a raisin muffin

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

"BobHoward posted:

the Airs are less powerful, and that's only because they lack a cooling fan.

Please tell that to my 2017 Air, because that thing has a fan that might match a leaf blower.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I used to use a separate app for the mouse acceleration thing but then they added this under the Advanced button a few months ago and it's totally fine.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

eightysixed posted:

Please tell that to my 2017 Air, because that thing has a fan that might match a leaf blower.

The Apple Silicon Airs lack a fan. It and the Touch Bar were the only real differentiators between the 2020 M1 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Fair enough :cheers:

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Do any of you have a subscription to SetApp, and if so do you think it's worth it?

I currently pay for a SetApp sub and while I do have 14 apps installed, the only one that really makes it kind of worth is TablePlus.

Second question, do you guys use CleanMyMac X at all? I don't really use it for the "optimizations" or anything but rather to keep my apps up to date.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kiwid posted:

Do any of you have a subscription to SetApp, and if so do you think it's worth it?

I currently pay for a SetApp sub and while I do have 14 apps installed, the only one that really makes it kind of worth is TablePlus.

Second question, do you guys use CleanMyMac X at all? I don't really use it for the "optimizations" or anything but rather to keep my apps up to date.

I had a SetApp trial for a while but didn't find use for it.

CleanMyMac is junk imo just like CCleaner but you say you're using it for updating apps, for that I've used https://www.corecode.io/macupdater/ before.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Skeezy posted:

I had a SetApp trial for a while but didn't find use for it.

CleanMyMac is junk imo just like CCleaner but you say you're using it for updating apps, for that I've used https://www.corecode.io/macupdater/ before.

This looks awesome, maybe I'll swap this out then.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

MacUpdater is very good. My only gripe with it is that they restrict CLI access to it to enterprise users. If you're not brain damaged like I am then this likely isn't a problem.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kiwid posted:

I use homebrew and it’s free

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Seriously. I don't think I use a single app that can't be installed with Homebrew, and I do a lot of things.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think daisydisk is the only paid mac app I have. It's probably more useful for clearing drive space than a ccleaner clone

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’m still using the DaisyDisk license I got from working at the Apple Store in like 2010 and I’m starting to feel a little guilty about it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eightysixed posted:

Branch Nvidian posted:

The Apple Silicon Airs lack a fan. It and the Touch Bar were the only real differentiators between the 2020 M1 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air

Yep, meant Apple Silicon Airs. I think the one and only fanless Intel Mac was the 12" 2015 (?) MacBook ultra-ultralight.

(whose fandom won't stop jonesing for an Apple Silicon version, because Intel processors were not a good match to no fan)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

BobHoward posted:

Yep, meant Apple Silicon Airs. I think the one and only fanless Intel Mac was the 12" 2015 (?) MacBook ultra-ultralight.

(whose fandom won't stop jonesing for an Apple Silicon version, because Intel processors were not a good match to no fan)

Didn't the 12" MacBook, ironically, use an Intel Core-m3 processor? Perhaps it is time to bring it back into the lineup.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

Didn't the 12" MacBook, ironically, use an Intel Core-m3 processor? Perhaps it is time to bring it back into the lineup.

Would it be thick enough to support the scissor-switch keyboard though?

I thought one of the reasons they were able to make the 12" MacBook so thin was Jony's Folly, the butterfly keyboard design.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You’re right, that was the first model with the butterfly keyboard, so it’d need to be a bit thicker to hold the scissor-switch version

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

tuyop posted:

I do too but usually only for coding/programming stuff. I should probably see if I can use it for everything.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
you probably can, there's a LOT of programs supported via homebrew

https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I recently bought a refurbished iPod and want to load it up with my old music collection. I found a backup from 2013 with all my music and a .itl file of the iTunes library. I’ve followed every guide out there on how to load this into the Music app, but no matter what I try I can’t get Music to switch to using the old library. Holding option when I open the app doesn’t do anything. I know I could just drag all the music into the app, but it would be nice to have all my old playlists and stuff.

Has anyone run into this?