Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

vty posted:

Also, discovered this app Yoink, it's awesome. So simple but useful. When you drag anything (mp3s, apps, docs, urls) it opens a little box for you to put it in until you get the other app open. Since Itunes is a picky jerk about where I drag my mp3s it's pretty nice to not have to go back to finder/pathfinder 5 times.

That's quite neat, I use pocket unclutter for the same purpose, because gently caress dragging and dropping over a desktop with too many open windows.

edit: unclutter, not pocket. I get confused because the app icon is a pocket

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Yoink is also pretty great just for reorganizing things in finder.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Any recommendations for SVG editors? I used to use Inkscape on Windows, but apparently it doesn't play nice on Mavericks.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

TinTower posted:

Any recommendations for SVG editors? I used to use Inkscape on Windows, but apparently it doesn't play nice on Mavericks.

I'm curious what you mean by Inkscape not playing nice with Mavericks? From the little I've played with it, it works more or less the same as it did in previous versions of OSX, you just have to jump through a few hoops to get it to work.

You need to install XQuartz: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

but once you've done that, it should work well enough.

I never really got comfortable using Inkscape, but if you're already familiar with it, you can always give it a try.

And please ignore this post if you've already installed XQuartz and Inkscape is still not playing nice with your system.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

TinTower posted:

Sketch.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Sketch is an amazing piece of software and well worth every penny if you're doing any sort of design work.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Got a funky minor issue I've had for a while but haven't been able to figure out, wonder if anyone has any clues. Mail (and only Mail) seems to hide on its own periodically. I have no clue when the hell it happens so it's hard to see if it shows up in the console logs, I'm not sure what it'd be tied to, except maybe screen/password locking? That's the best I can come up with since I notice it when I come back to my machine after a while and Mail is hidden, but I think I've seen it while working on the machine too (Mail is in a separate space, noticed it by the icon being dimmed without me manually hiding it).

Edit: Just got back and unlocked and Mail isn't hidden so I guess it wasn't that :iiam:

japtor fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 23, 2014

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Looking at Activity Monitor I noticed that the process "Canon CMFP BackGrounder" appears to be writing ~300KB to disk every minute, even when my macbook is idle. Another process called "UFR II BackGrounder" is behaving similarly. I noticed because both had run up several GB of total data written when I checked. I assume they are just rewriting over the same files since there aren't gigs of printer driver logs or whatever lying around that I can find, but does this sound normal?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Doesn't sound normal at all, and searching for "UFR II BackGrounder" confirms it's part of Canon's printer drivers, and that other people seem to have had problems.

Is it spamming the main system log at all? Not sure whether system log writes get accounted to the originating process or the log daemon.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BobHoward posted:

Doesn't sound normal at all, and searching for "UFR II BackGrounder" confirms it's part of Canon's printer drivers, and that other people seem to have had problems.

Is it spamming the main system log at all? Not sure whether system log writes get accounted to the originating process or the log daemon.

Aside from a conspicuously huge log file somewhere (that I don't see), is there something I should be looking for? Also, in Activity Monitor, "launchd" and "kernel_task" processes have even larger amounts of data writes; Is that possibly related? I assumed that was legitimate system stuff..

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Aside from a conspicuously huge log file somewhere (that I don't see), is there something I should be looking for? Also, in Activity Monitor, "launchd" and "kernel_task" processes have even larger amounts of data writes; Is that possibly related? I assumed that was legitimate system stuff..

For kernel_task and launchd, it's hard to know without actually seeing the contents of the logs.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I "dock" my laptop at work by plugging in a thunderbold gigabit and dvi adapter then disable the Wireless. I also switch the location to one for work. When I "undock" I unplug everything, turn on wifi, switch location to home, then put it to sleep.

I've noticed that when I get home and wake the laptop the Wifi will be turned off again, it doesn't seem to matter how long I wait before putting it to sleep either. Anyone run into this?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Ashex posted:

I "dock" my laptop at work by plugging in a thunderbold gigabit and dvi adapter then disable the Wireless. I also switch the location to one for work. When I "undock" I unplug everything, turn on wifi, switch location to home, then put it to sleep.

I've noticed that when I get home and wake the laptop the Wifi will be turned off again, it doesn't seem to matter how long I wait before putting it to sleep either. Anyone run into this?

Never had this problem, but if you want to automate this process and potentially fix the problem, you might want to try out ControlPlane

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Ashex posted:

Wait, there is a thunderbolt adaptor that does BOTH DVI and ethernet on one dongle? Where'd you get it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thunderbolt dock with a Mini-DP to DVI adapter connected to the second Thunderbolt port I assume

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Caged posted:

Thunderbolt dock with a Mini-DP to DVI adapter connected to the second Thunderbolt port I assume

Correct, I've got two adapters. I'm hoping to get one of those fancy docks though, just need to figure out which ones aren't vaporware.

dik-dik posted:

Never had this problem, but if you want to automate this process and potentially fix the problem, you might want to try out ControlPlane

Holy poo poo that app sounds amazing, it can detect the serial number of a power adapter? Definitely checking it out.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Ashex posted:

Correct, I've got two adapters. I'm hoping to get one of those fancy docks though, just need to figure out which ones aren't vaporware.

The Belkin both finally exists and is on sale (apparently for Memorial Day)!

It still requires hanging a DVI dongle off one of its Thunderbolt ports, but at least it's all in once place.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
The caldigit one has a built-in hdmi port on it; with an hdmi<->dvi cable you wouldn't even need an adapter. Not that it really matters for something that you set up once and never touch again.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Don't know anything specific you should look for, I'd just fire up Console, select "all messages" on the left, and try its filter function on likely phrases from things you've found already -- "Canon", "backgrounder", "ufr", and so on.

For what it's worth, on one week of uptime, Activity Monitor shows my top 3 writers as kernel_task (3.10GB), launchd (2.53GB), and mds_stores (651.1MB). I assume it's legit, but launchd and especially kernel_task (the Darwin kernel itself) shouldn't just do a lot of I/O on their own. I believe most of the writes attributed to those two processes are really work done on behalf of normal user processes. It's unfortunate that this can obscure things.

As for my #3 writer, mds_stores is part of Spotlight, and it's pretty believable that it's written 650MB of updates to the metadata databases since last boot.

Goon
Apr 22, 2006
I bought a used mac and did a reformat on it which I thought would actually reformat the drive but looks like it just re-installed Mavericks. However the original owner's name is still the root user, even though I've changed the username in settings. How do I change the actual Users root filename?

Also he is still logged into iCloud and it won't let me log him out until all services are stopped. So theres that.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
you'll want to follow these directions

Goon
Apr 22, 2006
ah, I skipped over the erase part. Thanks

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is there a way to have a couple network drives mounted automatically when my macbook connects to a given ssid? Not really seeing anything in Automator to do this.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

phosdex posted:

Is there a way to have a couple network drives mounted automatically when my macbook connects to a given ssid? Not really seeing anything in Automator to do this.

This looks promising

http://superuser.com/questions/300087/os-x-how-to-avoid-having-to-re-connect-to-network-share-after-nas-was-turned-of

It's going to be some mix of scripting and auto mounting, but I'm not sure if you can trigger something to happen on network connect too easily. Maybe just attempt to connect and ignore the errors if the host is unreachable.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I haven't personally used ControlPlane but you might be able to get it to automatically run an AppleScript based on SSID change to silently mount shares. Use script editor to make something similar to the following and then save it as an application:
code:
tell application "Finder"
    mount volume "afp://server/share"
end tell
Substitute your preferred protocol/server name/share name.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just installed a new SSD in my 2011 MacBook Pro and now that I've installed Maverick, I get NSURLErrorDomain 1012 every time I try to check for updates. How do I fix this?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm looking for a basic file hosting service so I can share about 50GB of files with a specific client while they are out of the country. I'm asking in this thread because the client and I will both be using Macbooks and it seems like the other network/hosting discussion threads in SH/SC are geared toward website hosting and enterprise/home networking. I just need a simple no-fuss solution, because the client isn't the most computer literate. I think that the solution to the issues I'm about to go over here is just 'Dropbox" but I want to see if someone here know's better than what I'm thinking.

Here's what I want to do:

Keep a directory ~24GB in sync across our two computers.

When one of us makes changes to a file in the directory, the changes are synced to the other's machine as quickly as possible. (Individual files may be ~500MB or so)

I don't pay more than $100 for two months of storage. After two months it's all going down.

Simple setup. Service offers client software that integrates with Finder, ideally.

...So, Dropbox?

I've already got 100GB of Google Drive storage, but it doesn't seem very fast to sync and I don't know if my client could download the Google Drive software and access a shared folder through the Finder. They have a gmail account but don't use Google Drive. The advantage with GDrive is that I'm already paying for the storage, but I think it might be simpler to just set up a new file hosting service account that we both have administrative power over. I don't know if any of the other services are actually faster than GDrive or not, but it seems slow considering I'm on an otherwise very fast institutional network.

Thoughts? Dropbox? SpiderOak? OneDrive? I'm not thinking iCloud, pretty much because like GDrive I already have an account set up and it's all bound up in services I use all the time so it's either set up sharing or create a new account that I'd be constantly logging in and out of.

I've never really given much thought to this 'cloud' stuff, because it always just works for me. I've never had to set up something collaborative like this before.

And if there's a better thread to post this question in, please let me know.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dropbox sounds like it'll meet your needs as long as you won't both be editing the same file at the same time. I know DB is at least aware of conflicts and will save the conflicted file as something like "pictures_of_our_butts (Bill's conflicted copy 2014-05-23 10-30-26).docx" or however, but it can still throw you off since it's not super streamlined.

I can't speak to the quality of the other services, however, just that Dropbox should be able to handle it.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Is there anyway to disable the horizontal bouncing on the right side when scrolling with the trackpad in Safari? It just the slight movement that is very distracting whenever I scroll with the two finger gesture.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
I've been using Dropbox for years and I'm kind of tied to it, but I've heard of a few businesses making the switch to OneDrive because its Office integration is pretty neat.

Dropbox's sync speeds aren't the greatest for big files because there's some heavy throttling involved, but I don't know how the others compare to it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

I just installed a new SSD in my 2011 MacBook Pro and now that I've installed Maverick, I get NSURLErrorDomain 1012 every time I try to check for updates. How do I fix this?

I didn't install a new SSD and also have this problem. It's probably their server.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To keep things in sync with Dropbox will require both users to be on Pro subscriptions, or you could just use the same credentials on both computers.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If you can get Dropbox LAN sync working its super great for big files but for some reason at our office it'll flake out and decide to have every computer grab a copy from Dropbox once in a while.

This means like 35 computers going for the same 500mb file to sync and it crushes our internet for a while.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BitTorrent Sync? If you want to avoid a third party.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

The App Store was broken for updates for the last 24 hours or so because Apple let the SSL cert expire on one of their servers.

Oops.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The App Store was broken for updates for the last 24 hours or so because Apple let the SSL cert expire on one of their servers.

Oops.

Oops indeed, someone's getting fired.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thanks for the replies regarding a file hosting service. I ultimately decided to give SugarSync a try. I don't really know if it will handle large file syncing any better than Dropbox, and the sync folder can't be moved to an external drive so it will be taking up precious space on my SSD, but I think I can live with it for a couple of months.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

z06ck posted:

Oops indeed, someone's getting fired.

I'm picturing Tim Cook waking up suddenly at 3am realizing why he had that nagging feeling all day yesterday that he was supposed to do something important.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Thanks for the replies regarding a file hosting service. I ultimately decided to give SugarSync a try. I don't really know if it will handle large file syncing any better than Dropbox, and the sync folder can't be moved to an external drive so it will be taking up precious space on my SSD, but I think I can live with it for a couple of months.
Another option is Box if you end up checking other stuff out still. And yeah, BitTorrent Sync if you don't want to deal with a third party. Not sure how user friendly (or not) it is yet though.

withak posted:

I'm picturing Tim Cook waking up suddenly at 3am realizing why he had that nagging feeling all day yesterday that he was supposed to do something important.
He inadvertently kept Eddy Cue on music and put Dr. Dre on internet services instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I keep running into a weird issue with iTerm. When I'm connected to my archlinux box and am doing an update with pacman via sudo the terminal sends ^M when I hit return. This doesn't happen in Terminal, anyone know why this happens?