Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

brc64 posted:

I tried installing BetterTouchTool on my Air when I first got it, and it worked well for a bit, but then it got all crashy on me. Is there something similar that works well in Lion?
BTT should be 100% compatible and stable on Lion.

Also it solves your problem exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
I didn't understand the palm pinch/expand until I looked at the trackpad videos closely. I was trying too hard to actually 'pinch' the trackpad.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I noticed that back when they put up the preview pages they actually had it as "four-finger pinch and spread." It's much easier to do with three fingers and thumb, but still works the old way.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Apps posted:

BTT should be 100% compatible and stable on Lion.

Also it solves your problem exactly.

I decided to give it another go on my Air (before attempting to configure it for my wife), and I saw the suggestion to disable the gestures in the Trackpad Preferences to avoid possible conflicts and crashes. I've done that, but some of the gestures in BTT just outright are not working. For example, trying to get a 3 finger swipe left and right to move spaces, or two finger swipe to do cmd+left. Those aren't working. Other gestures are, though so I don't know wtf.

Edit: Okay, I think the "Move left/right a space" predefined action is just broken.. changing that to just control+left/right fixed that. But two finger swiping isn't getting picked up at all, even using the live view. It just doesn't detect the gesture. Firefox will just scroll left and right when I test it out in there.

Double Edit: Finally figured it out... had to go into advanced trackpad settings in BTT and lower the two finger swipe sensitivity to get it to trigger.

brc64 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 22, 2011

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I'm looking for some software that will allow me to join together video files of different resolutions and codecs without having to sit through long-rear end import processes, and then encode the whole thing on export. I'm not looking to edit the videos, just join them together.

Any ideas?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
different resolutions and formats -- I'm no expert, but I feel like you'll have to reencode afterward.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
So I've recently gotten both a new MBA and a Mini. Both have Lion pre-installed. I've used the RecoveryDisk Assistant thing to install Lion to the new drives I put in both of them - both times, I had to boot to ESD and download the whole freaking OS to install it to the new drives.

Am I stupid or is that process broken? Why can't I - or can I - have a local copy on the ESD?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

pipebomb posted:

So I've recently gotten both a new MBA and a Mini. Both have Lion pre-installed. I've used the RecoveryDisk Assistant thing to install Lion to the new drives I put in both of them - both times, I had to boot to ESD and download the whole freaking OS to install it to the new drives.

Am I stupid or is that process broken? Why can't I - or can I - have a local copy on the ESD?

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/08/11/build-your-own-lion-install-usb-thumb-drive-for-cheap/

Welcome to the party.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think it will let you re-download the Lion installer if it came with Lion. The MBA also uses some newer build of Lion and won't install with the standard one.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 22, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I have a silly question, but I can't figure out exactly what to search for to find the answer. In my notification area, I have a an icon that only has one option... "Sync Now". I'm not really sure what it's for. I have my Google account setup in Mail and iCal, so I'm wondering if it's related to that, but each of those apps seem to have their own options for synchronization, so I'm not sure. I'd like to just remove it, but I don't know how.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

Try the box at the bottom.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think it will let you re-download the Lion installer if it came with Lion. The MBA also uses some newer build of Lion and won't install with the standard one.

Correct. It shows as Installed in the MAS and not in 'Purchased'.

That said, I'm going to try this when it reboots from the download (half done)"
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13101284&postcount=30

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 22, 2011

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I have a silly question, but I can't figure out exactly what to search for to find the answer. In my notification area, I have a an icon that only has one option... "Sync Now". I'm not really sure what it's for. I have my Google account setup in Mail and iCal, so I'm wondering if it's related to that, but each of those apps seem to have their own options for synchronization, so I'm not sure. I'd like to just remove it, but I don't know how.

The Sync icon is related to the account settings in Address Book. If you have your Google Account info plugged in, it will occasionally sync to your Google Contacts.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

pipebomb posted:

Correct. It shows as Installed in the MAS and not in 'Purchased'.

That said, I'm going to try this when it reboots from the download (half done)"
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13101284&postcount=30

You can also try this - not sure about the Air requiring special Lion, but should still work for your Mini.
http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/02/re-download-mac-os-x-lion-from-app-store/

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
Does anyone know if there's a way to create a cron job that will let me download the .mobi version of my Instapaper articles on a daily/weekly basis?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's the best program to convert video files so they'll play on the Xbox? I have "SmartConverter" but the Xbox setting doesn't work; I get a "bloo a bloo not supported" error.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
This may be a long shot...

Does anyone know of any flight management software?

I book upwards of 30 flights a month (not for myself) and keeping track of travel dates, pricing, change rules, unused return tickets, etc is becoming a royal pain in my rear end.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Man, loving Agile Bits removing the contextual menu item for 1Password in Firefox is so annoying. I know it'll come back eventually, but still.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Does anybody else with one of the new Airs get a few seconds of beachballing when loading pages of the App Store? It feels far less responsive than the iTunes Store does.

Also, is there a way to make the App Store remember my password like iTunes can? Having to re-enter my password every time I want to download an update is kind of annoying.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

ZeeBoi posted:

Man, loving Agile Bits removing the contextual menu item for 1Password in Firefox is so annoying. I know it'll come back eventually, but still.
It's from the new extension system that Firefox is pushing everyone toward. It's more in-line with webkit extensions, but apparently needs more hooks. I'm a curmudgeon and use the toolbar icon :)

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I just read this and did a little jig.

itsalltech.com posted:

UPDATE 2: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 will add the ability to re-arrange "desktops" in Mission Control by dragging the thumbnail previews of the desktop around.

Apple does listen to us, after all.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Hello Spaceman posted:

I just read this and did a little jig.

Apple does listen to us, after all.
:aaaaa:

FINALLY. Also: fix the resize in full screen thing and most of my problems are solved.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

angor posted:

This may be a long shot...

Does anyone know of any flight management software?

I book upwards of 30 flights a month (not for myself) and keeping track of travel dates, pricing, change rules, unused return tickets, etc is becoming a royal pain in my rear end.

Are you locked into using a particular vendor?

I know there are fabulous corporate solutions that I would imagine are probably available publicly as well - maybe even consider using a travel agency.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Kins posted:

Does anybody else with one of the new Airs get a few seconds of beachballing when loading pages of the App Store? It feels far less responsive than the iTunes Store does.

I've got one of the new stock 13" Airs and yeah this has been my experience as well. Doesn't bug me too much because I don't spend much time on it but ironically the Mac App Store is easily the worst stock Mac App I've used so far (as a new Mac convert).

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

different resolutions and formats -- I'm no expert, but I feel like you'll have to reencode afterward.

Yeah I know, I want to reencode afterwards. I just can't find anything that will let me put files together without sitting through a long import process. I don't know if there is a specific term for "video editor that doesn't import the files" though so my searches aren't working out so well.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Barack Pwnbama posted:

Yeah I know, I want to reencode afterwards. I just can't find anything that will let me put files together without sitting through a long import process. I don't know if there is a specific term for "video editor that doesn't import the files" though so my searches aren't working out so well.

I don't know what the programs you have tried are doing when they import, but it's possible that they're re-encoding the videos into some standard format (maybe mpeg) so that they can be joined in the first place. Some formats won't even join with other files of the same format without choking, so this is a necessary step (as far as I know, I am not an expert).

If you want to try taking out the middle man that is the black-box-like import process, you can use ffmpegx to do the standard-encoding at highest quality in a format that allows for concatenation, concatenating the files, and then re-encoding them in whatever format is your desired end state.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I had an idea and right now I'm using Toast to make a dvd of some videos to test it out. I'm hoping the resulting disk image will put all the videos together in one thing so I can use toast to make a dvd and then rip the dvd and get one video file with the videos in them.

The disk image is processing now so I'll see if that actually works.

Also, I found kdenlive which says "Mix different media without prior import: Any Video, audio or image files supported by Kdenlive." which sounds like what I'm looking for. Anybody ever use this?

To install it I'd have to install xcode and macports which I'm not too thrilled about doing without knowing if kdenlive is any good or does what I want.

edit - no, toast gives each video it's own title, that's not going to work.

Samuel L. ACKSYN fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 22, 2011

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Probably costs more than you want to spend, but Premiere Pro supports multi codec timelines.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/premiere-pro-cs5-feature-tour/expanded-native-tapeless-workflows-/

EDIT: I've never used it, and it's (currently) Windows only, but Lightworks claims to have native codec support and codec independent timelines.
http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 22, 2011

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Gunjin posted:

Probably costs more than you want to spend, but Premiere Pro supports multi codec timelines.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/premiere-pro-cs5-feature-tour/expanded-native-tapeless-workflows-/

I don't think I want to spend that much just so I can make some stupid videos. I'm thinking I'm going to have to use Windows here and see what apps are available there.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I've been using KeePass 2.16 for my password management. I primarily use Windows and Android, which the KeePass apps work wonderfully on. Unfortunately I went to set it up on my Mac Mini and... well the mono support is poo poo. It took me long enough to get mono installed and working on the Mac Mini, and it crashed a few times once I did.

Does anyone know if there's a good Mac port of KeePass that works with the 2.0 keychain file? If not... are there any good FOSS and actually multi-platform keychain systems? I was looking at 1Password but $50 for cross-platform support seems kind of steep, and it kind of worries me that I'd be sealing away all my passwords in a closed source system. I DO like the neat web-based feature that 1password has though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

I've been using KeePass 2.16 for my password management. I primarily use Windows and Android, which the KeePass apps work wonderfully on. Unfortunately I went to set it up on my Mac Mini and... well the mono support is poo poo. It took me long enough to get mono installed and working on the Mac Mini, and it crashed a few times once I did.

Does anyone know if there's a good Mac port of KeePass that works with the 2.0 keychain file? If not... are there any good FOSS and actually multi-platform keychain systems? I was looking at 1Password but $50 for cross-platform support seems kind of steep, and it kind of worries me that I'd be sealing away all my passwords in a closed source system. I DO like the neat web-based feature that 1password has though.

Keep in mind that I don't have any experience with other password managers, but I just started using 1Password about a month-and-a-half ago, and I think it was 100% worth the $50. I couldn't be happier with it so far.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
The only truly cross platform password management solution I've found is lastpass.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Scienter posted:

I've got one of the new stock 13" Airs and yeah this has been my experience as well. Doesn't bug me too much because I don't spend much time on it but ironically the Mac App Store is easily the worst stock Mac App I've used so far (as a new Mac convert).

I've had no problems with it on my Air v:shobon:v

I do wish that you could two-finger swipe to go back a page though, instead of using the back arrow.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

I use Password Safe to manage all of my passwords and use SpiderOak to keep the database files in sync on each computer.

Windows version: http://pwsafe.org/
Java version for OS X and linux: http://jpwsafe.sourceforge.net/

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Frozen-Solid posted:

If you export your 2.x database to a 1.x file, you can use KeepassX (http://www.keepassx.org/) on all systems.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's the best way to upload photos to Facebook using iPhoto '11? I have a lot to do so I started going through and using iPhoto's Faces to tag people with their full name so it would then auto-tag them on Facebook. I've used the built-in 'Share to Facebook' method and it works great, but I'd like to upload and keep it so only I can see it at first. Is there a way to do that?

I see that it's really easy to do this right from Facebook now and I can keep it private at first. It even has a Faces like thing built-in, but I'd have to re-tag some people that I've already tagged in iPhoto. Does Facebook's facial recognition work pretty well? In the first album I tried, it thought a picture of Chairman Mao was one of my female Asian friends.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 23, 2011

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I've had no problems with it on my Air v:shobon:v

I do wish that you could two-finger swipe to go back a page though, instead of using the back arrow.

Yeah, removing going back from a bunch of miscellaneous built-in apps was a bad idea. Maybe they didn't have time to implement the new safari visual effect with the gesture and didn't want something inconsistent. You could two finger swipe to go back or forward on practically anything with back and forward buttons IIRC in Snow Leopard.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
:stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Petey posted:

You must really love Safari, huh? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

Petey posted:

You know, it's things like this that make me realize a tightly controlled approval-only app store can be a good thing.