Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

vlack posted:

I removed /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plugins/Quartz Composer Visualizer.bundle, and iTunes hasn't exhibited any problems since. It's also been running faster.

I'm not sure where this came from, but I do have a fairly old install of OS X that I upgraded to Lion, so it's probably cruft from the days of 10.5 or something.

I'm using Lion , upgraded from Snow Leopard, and for what it's worth I am having the exact same error show up in my console. I have not, however, had the problem you're experiencing with adding songs to iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone read the MacEnterprise mailing list with HTML digest mode turned on?

In 10.7's Mail app, whenever I click on a subject link in the digest email I get

The links have this weird URI I'm not familiar with:

cid:54707@LISTS.PSU.EDU

Anyone know what I can do short of switching back to non-HTML digest mode? It's so much easier to read if I don't have to parse through pages of topics.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Fren posted:

Getting some weird artifacts on Lion, but only on system widgets and icons. I doubt it's an overheated video card or anything, but if anyone has seen this before:

I have the exact same glitch and same machine and specs as you do. It's a problem with Lion and ATI graphics I think. It's sometimes triggered when I try to preview H264 videos in Finder, but more often than not it happens after I've been logged on for a while and either gaming or using Final Cut Studio. Rebooting will fix it.

Haven't experienced this problem in Windows 7 or OSX 10.6.

Never Scroll
Aug 15, 2008

so my 2010 mba came with ilife '11.

anyone figured out how to get the mac app store to recognize this?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Never Scroll posted:

so my 2010 mba came with ilife '11.

anyone figured out how to get the mac app store to recognize this?

If it came with your mac, and you signed into the app store and clicked whatever button it is that pops up binding the iLife to your account, it should show up in your purchased tab, and even be downloadable on other Macs that you own.

Never Scroll
Aug 15, 2008

chimz posted:

If it came with your mac, and you signed into the app store and clicked whatever button it is that pops up binding the iLife to your account, it should show up in your purchased tab, and even be downloadable on other Macs that you own.

Yeah the pop up never happened. I bought refurb in April from apple and bought stuff from the mac app store including Lion. I flattened a few days ago and reinstalled Lion but I have a time machine backup with ilife if I need it.

Sounds like I need to call etc.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you can't link it to the store (which might be the case cause when you bought the MBA) the machine should've come with a USB flash drive with everything on it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, looks like globalSAN iscsi initiator isn't Lion compatible yet. Any other free iSCSI initiators I should be looking at, or am I stuck waiting for them to iron this out?

Never Scroll
Aug 15, 2008

So I got an email back from Mac App Store support:

quote:

If iLife '11 was preinstalled on the MacBook Air it will need to be reinstalled from the Installation USB that came with the computer and will not be available under your purchased tab in the Mac App Store.

Only apps purchased on the Mac App Store can be updated through the Mac App Store. Apps that were purchased at retail stores or websites cannot be updated via the Mac App Store.

If you would like to have the iLife applications showing in the Mac App Store and do the update from there you will need to purchase them from the Mac App Store. If you have the USB please use this to reinstall the iLife Suite.

I've read a bunch about how you can tie it to your mac app store account but apparently not?

I used my restore key to install it after getting this feedback.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
How do I access my boot camp drive in Finder in Lion?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Just got a new iMac with Lion to complement my MacBook with Snow Leopard, and I'm having some issues. First off, Text Editor is weird. On my MB, it opens an empty file whenever I click on the icon to start it up, it doesn't save changes automatically (always asks) and it doesn't re-open windows from the last time it was open. Now, it does. How can I 'fix' this?

Secondly, whenever I add files to a folder (for example by unzipping a file into a folder with previous contents), the new files get all jumbled up with the old files, so they appear over each other. On my MB, whenever I do something similar, it automatically re-arranges the files based on my sorting options (usually just by name). I've got TotalFinder installed, but I don't think that's causing it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jolan posted:

Just got a new iMac with Lion to complement my MacBook with Snow Leopard, and I'm having some issues. First off, Text Editor is weird. On my MB, it opens an empty file whenever I click on the icon to start it up, it doesn't save changes automatically (always asks) and it doesn't re-open windows from the last time it was open. Now, it does. How can I 'fix' this?

Welcome to Lion

You can use this guide to revert some of the changes
http://lifehacker.com/5824564/how-to-de+ios+ify-mac-os-x-lion

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 21, 2011

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Welcome to Lion

You can use this guide to revert some of the changes
http://lifehacker.com/5824564/how-to-de+ios+ify-mac-os-x-lion

Thanks, that seems to have solved the Text Editor-issue, at first glance.

Do you also know of any way to stop pop-ups etc. from how they appear on the screen by default? With Lion, it's almost as if the window's coming out of the screen to punch you in the face, with Snow Leopard it just appeared without any fuss or extravagance.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Edit: Nevermind, wrong thread.

Auriak fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 21, 2011

gregday
May 23, 2003

Jolan posted:

Thanks, that seems to have solved the Text Editor-issue, at first glance.

Do you also know of any way to stop pop-ups etc. from how they appear on the screen by default? With Lion, it's almost as if the window's coming out of the screen to punch you in the face, with Snow Leopard it just appeared without any fuss or extravagance.

Read the first page.

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO

The.Big.Dirty.Emu
May 2, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Hmm, looks like globalSAN iscsi initiator isn't Lion compatible yet. Any other free iSCSI initiators I should be looking at, or am I stuck waiting for them to iron this out?

I've had the same issue. The only other competitor is Atto's iSCSI initiator which is $200. The Lion compatible version of globalSAN was due to be released sometime this week I think. I've had a few problems with various versions in the past and waiting so long for a lion compatible version has made me strongly consider just dropping the cash for Atto's initiator.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

gregday posted:

Read the first page.

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO

That's not what I asked. Read the post.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Jolan posted:

That's not what I asked. Read the post.

That disables the animated zooming out from the center that windows do when they appear. What are you talking about then?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

gregday posted:

That disables the animated zooming out from the center that windows do when they appear. What are you talking about then?

I'm an absolute idiot, I thought that was a solution to the character popups (which, by the way, are also implemented in a dumb way, though the idea is decent). My apologies.

(But kind of glad to know I'm not the only one being annoyed by it.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For one reason or another I've been rebooting a fair amount lately. I have two iChat accounts set up, AIM and Google Talk. Sometimes I log in and they both connect without a problem, but then sometimes I log in and they both prompt me for a password. I can understand that X connections in a small amount of time might be suspicious, but considering they're BOTH asking me for two separate passwords to two separate services leads me to believe that iChat is the one behind this. Anyone experiencing this issue?

(10.7.1/Server)

The.Big.Dirty.Emu posted:

I've had the same issue. The only other competitor is Atto's iSCSI initiator which is $200. The Lion compatible version of globalSAN was due to be released sometime this week I think. I've had a few problems with various versions in the past and waiting so long for a lion compatible version has made me strongly consider just dropping the cash for Atto's initiator.

Yeesh. I'm literally just playing around with iSCSI so it's not a big deal or anything, but I'm surprised this isn't something that's built into the OS. Seems like this is getting to be a pretty common technology.

Maybe Apple saw the word SCSI and decided to drop the hammer like they did with the hardwired variety :ohdear:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 21, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Never Scroll posted:

So I got an email back from Mac App Store support:

I've read a bunch about how you can tie it to your mac app store account but apparently not?

I used my restore key to install it after getting this feedback.
It's either a post Lion released thing or post Lion new machine (just MBA and Mac mini for now) thing. I'm not sure which, but whatever the case your machine is neither and came with the USB stick. That's your copy and I guess like other apps, there's no way to transfer the license between a non App Store version and the App Store one. With newer machines I figure their copy is considered the App Store one and gets to be linked to the user account, probably because they no longer come with any media other than the installed drive.

SnatchRabbit posted:

How do I access my boot camp drive in Finder in Lion?
It should show up like any other drive, albeit read only.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I went to create a screenshot for the guy asking about the Bootcamp drive (shows up on the right panel in Finder at the bottom by default in Lion) but remembered I haven't been able to create a screenshot for the past two months.

I hear the snapshot sound but they don't appear on my Desktop anymore. I tried repairing permissions cause I'm dumb and don't know what else to do. I tried setting a different location with Secrets.pref but it didn't seem to do anything(seems to be associated with the Grab.app anyway)

How do I go about fixing this?

edit: Im talking about taking screenshots with Ctrl-Cmd-Shift-4

decypher fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 22, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was about to ask if you've ever changed location then saw the Secrets.pref thing :downs:. Have you searched for them (messing with the different search options like system files and invisibility) to see if they're getting created at all in some mystery location?

edit: cmd-ctrl-shift-4 doesn't create a file, it goes to the clipboard :downs:. The ctrl modifier changes it to clipboard, if you just do cmd-shift-4 it should output a file.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

japtor posted:

I was about to ask if you've ever changed location then saw the Secrets.pref thing :downs:. Have you searched for them (messing with the different search options like system files and invisibility) to see if they're getting created at all in some mystery location?

edit: cmd-ctrl-shift-4 doesn't create a file, it goes to the clipboard :downs:. The ctrl modifier changes it to clipboard, if you just do cmd-shift-4 it should output a file.

Oh japtor, is there anything you don't know? Thanks man. I was seriously mystified for months about this crap.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

decypher posted:

Oh japtor, is there anything you don't know? Thanks man. I was seriously mystified for months about this crap.

There is a Grab app in Utilities, I just use that now. No shortcuts to remember.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Martytoof posted:

Anyone experiencing this issue?

Yeah, I seem to randomly get prompts for iChat logins after rebooting. I haven't had to do it enough to really track down what's causing it. One AIM account, one Google Talk account.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

What's the best way to move a whole HD (mac drive, bootcamp, hidden lion recovery) to an SSD in lion? Winclone doesn't work with lion.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Martytoof posted:

For one reason or another I've been rebooting a fair amount lately. I have two iChat accounts set up, AIM and Google Talk. Sometimes I log in and they both connect without a problem, but then sometimes I log in and they both prompt me for a password. I can understand that X connections in a small amount of time might be suspicious, but considering they're BOTH asking me for two separate passwords to two separate services leads me to believe that iChat is the one behind this. Anyone experiencing this issue?

Yeah i get this seemingly randomly as well. I hosed around with the keychain a bit but nothing seemed to get better. Though I did figure out that you can just click ok/login and it will still login fine even if you leave the password blank.

Hopefully it gets fixed in the next version?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I brought myself a new macbook the other day (After carefully modifying the previous ones hardware configuration with a cup of coffee :( ) , 2GHz i7 8gig.

There was no install media that came with it. OK now I get for whatever wierd reason apple doesn't do install DVDs anymore.... but I do.

Is there some way to extract a lion install disk, or create some sort of re-install golden disk or whatever in-case i accidently nuke my hard drive (or replace it with a third party SSD) or completely gently caress up the config and want to flatten and re-install, or something?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Granite Octopus posted:

Though I did figure out that you can just click ok/login and it will still login fine even if you leave the password blank.

Well I'll definitely try this next time, thanks. I have ridiculously long passwords and don't have 1Passwd installed on that one particular machine yet so it takes me like 10 minutes to type everything in :mad:

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Okay, so after using my 2011 MacBook Pro for a week and a half, I'm rolling it back to Snow Leopard. Other than the obvious Multi-Touch and touted features, Snow is still a perfectly working and updated OS, no?

I guess I'm curious as to how iLife '11 is going to react without being on Lion.

I've gotten beachballs like no tomorrow, so I'm not left with much of a choice. (Hardware is fine)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

duck monster posted:

I brought myself a new macbook the other day (After carefully modifying the previous ones hardware configuration with a cup of coffee :( ) , 2GHz i7 8gig.

There was no install media that came with it. OK now I get for whatever wierd reason apple doesn't do install DVDs anymore.... but I do.

Is there some way to extract a lion install disk, or create some sort of re-install golden disk or whatever in-case i accidently nuke my hard drive (or replace it with a third party SSD) or completely gently caress up the config and want to flatten and re-install, or something?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/
Internet Recovery is built in to 2011 Macbook Pros.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NerdsMcGee posted:

I guess I'm curious as to how iLife '11 is going to react without being on Lion.
iLife '11 was released before Lion, so just fine?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

iLife '11 was released before Lion, so just fine?

Yeah. Now that I think about it, that was stupid. Sorry for wasting your time. I blame it being late here.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I just bought Fantastical and I'm loving it so far. One issue though. I have 5 email accounts set up in Mail. How do I set a default account to send mail from when I invite someone to a meeting? I've gone through the preferences and Googled but I can't seem to make this play nice. Seems to just send from whatever account.

angor fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 22, 2011

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
So I actually won two copies of Sparrow in that giveaway, I thought the email I got was duplicated but I won with both the email addresses I submitted! Who wants the other licence?

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

Softcox posted:

So I actually won two copies of Sparrow in that giveaway, I thought the email I got was duplicated but I won with both the email addresses I submitted! Who wants the other licence?

Sure! ajakobsen at gmail dot com

Edit: I was actually just scrolling down this page thinking "I wonder if that Sparrow-thing is as good as people are saying it is? Maybe I should check what it costs?"

FistLips fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 22, 2011

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

FistLips posted:

Sure! ajakobsen at gmail dot com

Edit: I was actually just scrolling down this page thinking "I wonder if that Sparrow-thing is as good as people are saying it is? Maybe I should check what it costs?"

How serendipitous :allears: Sent you an email!

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I've been trying to solve an annoying problem with my MBP for a few days now. Under my user account, the list of printers is blank, but there are definitely printers installed; I know this because I can see them from the CUPS web interface. Also, if I create a new user, then the account will have the printer list visible. It only seems to be this one account that is affected.

I've tried the following things....

- reset printer system, then readding printers (printers install ok, but the printer list is still blank)
- fixed permissions
- re-applied the latest combo updater
- copy/pasted known good cupsd.conf and printers.conf files from a different machine
- used Print Therapy 7, but to no avail

I've tried deleting my account, then recreating it, but the printer list still shows up as empty.

At this point I suspect that it must be a cache file tucked away somewhere which is causing the issue, but I've really run out of ideas for fixing it. Can anyone suggest a solution?

edit: FWIW the machine is running 10.6.8.

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
I use Adium for my instant messenger program, and I do all my web browsing in a fullscreen Chrome window. As a result, I frequently don't see notifications of new messages. Is there a good way to make these notifications more visible, or am I stuck manually checking?