Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I was getting a touch ID prompt when deleting things or copy/pasting from random folders in my user directory, so I checked my permissions. My user folder has my user with "custom" permissions like 20 times, then Read/write at the very bottom with other users and groups.

I can't hit the minus button on those entries, I can only change the permission for each user one at a time.

What's up with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

lua posted:

I've just gone from a 2011 MBP to a new MacBook Air and, while generally great, it feels like the trackpad scrolling is somehow...different. I've been messing with the scrolling speed under the accessibility settings but that doesn't seem to quite change what I want – like it's more about acceleration than speed perhaps.

Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just get used to it?

Trackpads have changed in 12 years and I bet you’ll get used to it in a matter of hours or days :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm running 13.6.3 and I have a headset that I use for multiple things - primarily USB connection from its base to my PC for Teams, but I use bluetooth from the base to my Mac. The problem is whenever it reconnects to my Mac it changes the sound output to the headset, which I don't want. I go back and change it to headphones (which plugs into my amp) but is there a way to make it stay on that output and not change when it detects a new one?

I think this is something the headset does. I have a couple jabra headsets that leave it to the OS to remember which output you want when they connect, but an old mpow that always steals it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you’re clicking stuff anyway, did you know about alt-clicking the volume icon to select input/output? Doesn’t do exactly this but maybe still useful.

Cool workaround too!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

The behavior I'd most closely like to mimic (understanding that the convention isn't the same between them) is three-finger swiping on my iPad Pro using the Magic Keyboard trackpad. It cycles through the various apps. If I could do that between apps on macOS, or maybe windows with a modifier key/more fingers, that'd just be amazing.

I'll check out if BTT can do that or not.

You can use the stock three-finger as long as you full screen your apps or put them on separate spaces. Basically think of your Mac as a big fancy iPad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

HorseHeadBed posted:

Is there a word processor that's basically Textedit's rich text mode but a liiiiittle bit more fully featured? I really only need headers and footers, but basic styles might also be nice. I know about Markdown and like how light it is, but I don't really see the point of making one type of file to make another type of file. Docx and rtf to the bitter end.

Word online? Then you can save your kbs since the web browser is already installed, hopefully.

Google docs, Cryptpad and Zoho too I guess.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've had a 24" M1 iMac for two years now and I barely use it. Every time I try to force myself to use it I get hung on on one thing: the loving mouse pointer control in macOS sucks absolute poo poo.

At first I thought it was just the Apple Magic Mouse, and while that is the worst mouse I have ever used, it isn't just that. I have tried several different mice, Logitech's Logi+ app, 3rd party github mouse pointer apps. Nothing. The mouse acceleration always feels unnatural to me, causing me to over or undershoot the things I want to click constantly, no matter the settings. The scrolling, since they refuse to give you "one mouse wheel click = X number of lines no matter what" as an option, always feels laggy and jumpy. The hacks that attempt to override this only result in the scrolling being even more jumpy and sporadic.

Any other suggestions before I give up and sell this thing?

I feel your pain but with kde’s mouse acceleration or whatever. macOS feels perfect to me. Just like, I hear you

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kiwid posted:

Do any of you have a subscription to SetApp, and if so do you think it's worth it?

I currently pay for a SetApp sub and while I do have 14 apps installed, the only one that really makes it kind of worth is TablePlus.

Second question, do you guys use CleanMyMac X at all? I don't really use it for the "optimizations" or anything but rather to keep my apps up to date.

I use homebrew and it’s free

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lmao

lol

edit: I remember there being an app that would allow for copy and pasting multiple items and saving them to a clipboard so you could paste saved items whenever needed instead of say opening a text file that you use often and C&P from that. Does anyone know the name of this program? I finally have a use for it but can't remember what it's called.

Finder > Edit > Show clipboard

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kiwid posted:

Am I stupid or is it painful to edit an image on macOS by default?

I scanned a document (a signature) via the notes app on my phone. AirDropped it to my MacBook. Then I used Adobe Acrobat to export it to a png format.

Now I want to do some basic editing of the file like cropping, making the background solid white, and resizing but the image opens in the "Preview" app that doesn't allow me to edit it. Do I need third party software?

I ended up just doing it all on my Windows laptop via Irfanview but was hoping macOS had comparable software?

The other photo-specific app on Macs is Photos, which has about as many editing options as Lightroom's library editor. You can do close cropping with Photos really easily too in the right-click menu. Same as Preview.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Peteyfoot posted:

Cross-posting from the iOS thread:

Any recommendations for non-subscription software to make 2D layouts? My primary need is to be able to keep things to scale according to my measurements. Here’s an example of what I want to convert to raster form and have correct scaled dimensions:

just sketchup at this point. The iPad app is useful for checking dimensions on the go, may have some premium features but I haven’t checked on those because the desktop app is free and perfect

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mia Wasikowska posted:

is there a good mac ebook reader that supports a bunch of formats and syncs stuff in the cloud? im sick of books dot app

Bookfusion has a webapp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I use homebrew to install nearly everything. Big recommend there, though you do need to deal with gatekeeper (iirc that’s the name of this security component) for some apps still.