Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Without much ado posted:

Another option is "Cmd + Shift + /" which opens the help menu and leave the cursor in the search box. Then just type the menu option you want, find it on the provided list with the arrow keys and hit return. One of my favorite features of OS X.

Yeah that's a must-have feature and one of the reasons I only do work with Adobe software on OS X if I can help it. What is it with Adobe and burying functions in arbitrary menus designed to appeal to imaginary alien psychology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hm. I have a bluetooth mouse that has started acting really laggy. I turned bluetooth off and on again, reset the computer, I replaced the batteries, deleted and re-paired the mouse in my bluetooth settings, and have a bluetooth keyboard that doesn't seem to be lagging as badly though it's hard to tell because it's a keyboard. I can't find any particular programs that might be causing this to happen, and it's happened when doing a variety of things. Like, right now I just reset and opened Safari and here we are. There are no other programs open that could be eating resources that weren't running when the mouse wasn't lagging.

Any ideas?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

enMTW posted:

Which model Mac?

13" Early 2014 Air, 1.4ghz i5, 4gb RAM, Intel HD Graphics 5000, 128gb SSD.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

enMTW posted:

That machine has a really good bluetooth chip. No idea. Are you sure it isn't the mouse? Have you tried another mouse?

Just a corded one, which worked fine. I don't have another bluetooth mouse.

It's a super cheap mouse that I ordered eight months ago so I guess it's possible that it's just... dying?

And now my Apple BT keyboard has started hanging or spamming a single key. It just pressed o until I turned off the keyboard and pressed a button on the laptop keyboard. Is that a sign of chip failure? It's possible that the genius bar folks damaged something when they were swapping out my screen last week I guess?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Try changing the wireless channel on your router as well.

Yeah, this didn't do anything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

enMTW posted:

The bluetooth antenna could have came unplugged.

Looks like a simple fix, should I book an appointment or try to fix it myself? I have the tools, but does taking the cover off like this void my warranty or anything?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

enMTW posted:

The bluetooth antenna could have came unplugged.

I pulled off the back, the antenna is securely seated. Looks good back there.

Is there some kind of software fix I could try? Like reinstalling the Bluetooth driver or something?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
drat, and I just spent ten bucks on Moom! Tim!!! :argh:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Apple will now pay artists for media streamed during the free period of Apple Music.

https://twitter.com/cue/status/612824775220555776

GJ taytay.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Welp, it's that time of year again. Where I try to switch to Safari from Chrome for good.

I imagine this is what quitting smoking must be like.

THIS TIME IT'LL TAKE!

I made the switch last year. Turns out I don't need all those doodads in Chrome!

Though I do miss the extension that replaces any mention of Jesus, Christ, or God with the words poo poo, pie, and bukkake.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Is there SALR for Safari (theres one from like 10 years ago but does that still work)

I haven't checked, but google makes me think no. I do most of my forumsing on the Awful app on an iPad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Regarding remote desktop apps: What's the easiest way for me to download stuff to a Mac at work, while at home? Any one of those mentioned above, or are they mainly for more advanced stuff? If I can log on to my work Mac with a an ipad/iphone it's a plus, but not a must.

There are a few options for just downloading stuff. uTorrent and Deluge both have online clients that sort of work all the time. There are also download managers that have web UIs for managing your downloads remotely.

I'd rather use those than a remote desktop program, personally.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Thanks! Remote utorrent seems perfect if it works. I only want to (ab)use the sick connection at work for downloading and uploading torrents.

Edit: or maybe not, as access to the utorrent client won't let me browse new torrents...? Hm.

Well you have to copy the magnet link to your totally legit P2P file sharing torrents into the Web UI. You get the magnet links from whatever torrent indexing site you're using for this potentially legal purpose.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you use Fluid to wrap Inbox, does it function as an open Chrome tab? Does it have the same impact on battery life as using Chrome regularly?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Isn't Fluid Safari-based rather than Chrome?

So it's easy on battery life? I'd really like to give Inbox a try but the lack of native os x app sucks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

you're not missing much honestly. but yeah no reason it wouldn't work in fluid since they added support for safari a few months back

well parallels is literally just a nicely integrated virtual machine. i wouldn't expect anything that relied heavily on hardware accelerated graphics to work properly if at all.

Well, I honestly prefer Mailbox for email triage, but I don't like the limited text editing abilities in the beta OS X app or the understandable stability problems. The Inbox webapp looks great and has lots of good options that sort of deal with my concerns, but I don't like keeping a browser window open and losing the notification badges.

Outlook is just not good as far as I can tell.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
TRIM sounds like a good thing. Is there any potential downside to turning it on?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Alright, I'll do this soon!

As for the update, I have transparency turned off (I did this before updating) and I'm noticing a crazy improvement in animation smoothness when on an external monitor, so that's good!

Also, my bluetooth problem from before seemed to be related to my wife's phone and iPad doing handoff with each other. If she turns off her phone's BT when it starts the problem goes away. Hasn't come back for a little while either and she has BT on again.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The blue one was good and blue is a soothing aspect whereas red is chaotic and angry. This current one is confused because it is both red and blue. It is disgusting.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So I'm a pretty basic user but I hate the messed up way my Mac is handling dependencies and all the hidden stuff that gets installed when I get something like, say, Photoshop.

Is Homebrew for me? I'm comfortable running stuff through a CLI but it sounds like Homebrew is just for programmers and people worrying about all sorts of programming stuff. Would it be ideal for installing, say, Steam to my laptop and then uninstalling it and everything it did to my computer later?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

Software needs to be designed and packaged to be used with a package manager, and that mostly means programming tools or system utilities. Everything you mentioned in your post is up to the application developer; Adobe loves to spew files all over /Applications and /Applications/Utilities, and there's not much you or anyone else can do to change that behavior unless Adobe lets you.

If you want to clean up after a program once you've uninstalled it, you can looking for an app uninstaller (I've heard AppCleaner and AppZapper namedropped before) that scans for related files and tries to do a best guess as to what should be removed.

Perfect, that's what I was wondering about. I thought it would work kind of like installing Firefox in Ubuntu, but I guess not. No big deal, I guess.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to change the Mail.app preferences to have the badge icon represent the number of read AND unread emails in the inbox?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

G5ANDY posted:

What application would you recommend for some light floor plans?

I find it easiest just to use Google Sheets and set the cell width so you have squares. Each box is a sq ft or 1/4 sq ft or whatever you need. Then you just create borders and fills for objects and rooms. I think you can even fill cells with a / or \ to represent a door.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

tankadillo posted:

I have a bunch of pictures I want to put together as frames in a gif. What's a good and free way to do that with OS X?

Preview.app

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bvoid posted:

TeamViewer is always a good choice as well. I'd probably use the Windows Remote Desktop if the RDP port wasn't blocked at work, but TeamViewer is awesome.

Seconding teamviewer, I use their portable executable for all sorts of things regularly. The remote PC just runs the file, tells you the numbers, and you're off.

Though I'll probably use the windows client next time, since if the other computer is a Mac I just use the iMessage screen sharing thing to minimize legwork and anxiety on the other end. "Just run this file that lets me see and control your computer" is often a hard sell when you're working with strangers or paranoid grandpas.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

jet sanchEz posted:

Safari is garbage, right? I'm using my girlfriend's iPad and surfing with Safari is painful due to ads, is there an ad blocker that goons recommend? Or what should we use as a browser on a second generation iPad? Thanks.

Not at all. It might not have "power user" features but it's fast and smooth and generally works well for most use cases on mobile.

Your girlfriend is out of luck regarding ad blockers though because they only run on 64 bit devices. So like, 5S and up and iPad Air and up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xarn posted:

Goddamit apple, your software was supposed to be intuitive. :v:

Thanks, that did it.

iTunes development has been contracted to Adobe since forever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

The missus is an organisational mess when it comes to computers. She likes to have as much as possible in the dock and the dock should preferably take up 10 percent of the screen. Is there a way for her to have her own setup and still have access to our files in the default account?

Why not make a profile for her but set all the existing folder permissions to both of your accounts so that she can just browse stuff in Finder?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

Does Caffeine/Amphetamine no longer work in El Capitan or something? I'm trying to download a large file via... some sort of download software (Microsoft's Dreamspark -- torrent? Who knows) and Amphetamine didn't seem to keep my Macbook awake for it.

InsomniaX is working on my MBA on El Cap. Don't know about those other programs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

GokieKS posted:

I use NoSleep for when I want to lock my rMBP but not have it go to sleep while not plugged in, and it works perfectly fine. Any case of my laptop battery dying as been due to user error of forgetting to disable it again.

InsomniaX has a timer for this. I ran it last night to actually download Linux for work, set the lid and idle timers for six hours, and totally forgot about it when I brought it to work and everything was downloaded AND charged.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What's the best practice for avoiding the in use popup when ejecting an external HDD? I used to be able to just eject both partitions (one is an external drive, the other is a time machine partition), but now I have to kill mds every time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

mds is the Spotlight indexer. It's probably trying to index your external drives. If you do want that, plug it in overnight and let it finish. If you don't, you could add the external partition to the ignore list in Spotlight's preferences.

This happens after it's been plugged in for like five days straight or half an hour. Spotlight just never stops, and I do want the indexing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

Might be choking on something, in which case I'm not sure what the fixes are other than reindexing I guess. I think adding to exclusions then removing will do it, otherwise there's a bunch of CLI methods.

What format is the drive? I vaguely recall that mds can choke on some formats, like NTFS cause it doesn't have write access or something.

HFS. I'll just reindex tonight.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's good to keep another browser around for compatibility, same reason it's good to keep windows around. But Safari is awesome and you totally don't need the extensions you think you need.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

KingEup posted:

Can someone explain how spotlight indexing works? Will it index any drive that gets plugged into it? I want to plug in an external HDD to someone else's Macbook and rather it didn't do it.

Yes, just add it to the exclusion list in spotlight settings.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wait, you guys don't say ossex? Like Essex with an o???

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
:stare:

I'd just like to have a unicorn. Why can't anyone get me a unicorn?!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kuroshi posted:

Which screen sharing application do you recommend, then? Both ends of the connection are Macs, and I only want to selectively grant control, if at all. I may wish to view or control the other way, as well. No guarantees of being able to open ports to the Internet, either.

I just use iMessage/messages.app in those cases.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kuroshi posted:

Any way I can do that without it nearly muting all of my system audio and sending my microphone to the other side?

I've never noticed that. Now that I think about it, I've always been in a FaceTime or other app's voice chat using a USB headset while I'm doing the screenshare. I have no idea, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

What the gently caress is this?!?!

People bitch high and low about the Finder, justifiably, but Apple then puts in awesome stuff like this and doesn't tell anyone.

That's loving awesome.