Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

~Coxy posted:

They replaced it with their own implementation which apparently works with Win7 machines but not much else, including WinXP and random NAS devices/ XBMC/Boxee/etc.

I've been using it with XP, Samba, and other SMB implementations with no problems. At this moment I'm connected to an XP share and there's an XP computer connected to my shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Ak you're all too excited about your new shiny stuff, but I'm going to try again. Does anyone know if the new Mail/Address Book will work with Snow Leopard on a Dual Core MacBook?

They will not. You want Lion versions, you buy Lion, one way or another. Your way's just more expensive than most people's.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

On a new blank hard drive, installing Lion will create a hidden recovery drive partition, forgot the exact size but it's at least 20-30 GB. I'd imagine it'd gently caress up a non-standard setup (anything with partitions other than HFS+) hard, but I'll try it on one of my BootCamped machines and see.

The recovery partition doesn't even occupy a gigabyte. It's just big enough (~790MB) to boot a stripped-down OS X environment and let you download Lion to a functional partition.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 20, 2011

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Asnorban posted:

How do I do something similar to Spaces now that that is gone? I used to have one space for all my work related programs, one for tweetdeck / other miscellany, and one for music related programs. As it stands now it is just an unorganized clusterfuck of things I don't need constantly visible (like Tweetdeck).

That was probably a very dumb question.

Not dumb at all. Mission Control is a clusterfuck because all your Spaces settings are totally wiped out instead of being translated over to Mission Control.

With Mission Control open, you can create up to 16 spaces ("Desktops"). With multiple desktops available, you can assign applications to this/all desktops from the Dock.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Ziir posted:

So, in Preview, how do I close these?

Selecting them and closing them doesn't work. They just reappear down there. Closing Preview doesn't work. They show up again. Rebooting doesn't work.

They're not open. They're recent documents. (Note they're displayed as documents, not windows.)

It's a new feature of Lion. You can also see this in action in TextEdit. If you want to see your minimized windows instead of recent documents, sucks to be you.

Edit: I should probably clarify that app exposé now displays both minimized windows and recent documents. If you want one or the other, too bad. In Preview, look for the page curl to stay sane. It's clearer in other applications, where windows tend to look less similar to recent documents.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 20, 2011

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Workgroup Manager is busted.

Server in general is a hot mess.

I wouldn't bother installing it yet even for evaluation purposes. Hopefully they can sort out the issues for Server 10.7.1, because there's a solid foundation underneath the slapdash finish work.

Unless you're trying to admin a Snow Leopard server from 10.7 client, in which case I got nothin'.

error1 posted:

Hey that's neat, if you set a desktop background it remembers unique ones for each mission control desktop. Did spaces use to do that? (i never really got into using spaces)

Nope, it's new for Lion. Great little feature (especially if you leave "please randomly rearrange my spaces" turned on).

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

Have there been any issues in Lion with VMWare fusion? Thinking about upgrading.

Fusion 3.1.3 is ready to rock.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Tard Helmets posted:

You have to right click on the app icon in the Dock, look under Options. I don't know why they moved this from the Settings app to the dock, but it's kinda buried.

Wait until someone doing a clean install tries to figure out how to jump directly to desktops with Ctrl-1 and friends! (It's in the Keyboard preferences now. :downs:)

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

mistermojo posted:

Why does the App Store actually quit when you press the close button?

That seems so crazy considering it's the only place to see the download info since the icon they place on the Dock just says "OSX Lion - Downloading..."

There should be a progress bar displayed under the icon.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

QWERTTY posted:

I wasn't sure where I was supposed to put things and it just wasn't video files it was the project files as well. I just put in a request to get a call from apple tomorrow. From now on if I want a folder I can put all my projects in where should they go?

In your own user folder somewhere. Documents, Movies, a folder of your own creation... Just inside the space yourself own. (Coincidentally, Lion ratcheted up the restrictions on system folders to help prevent this sort of thing.)

While you're waiting for Apple to get back to you, see if there's a Previous System folder at the root of your hard drive. Wayward files often get shoved there, and I think I have some dead user folders moved there while I was testing Lion.

Edit: In Finder, open the Go menu. Pick "Go To Folder", type in "/Storage", and press enter. Or if you keep hitting Command-Up from a Finder window, you should eventually see it. (I assume you're just having trouble finding it—understandably—not that it's hidden.)

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 21, 2011

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

You Am I posted:

This is a bug which I did submit to Apple during the betas of Lion, which never got fixed in the GM, and just wondering if it still exists in the retail version.

Retail is GM (11A511), so yes is a safe bet.

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm noticing that when I set a desktop background and switch to another space, the desktop background hasn't changed -- it's still using the old background. Anyone else?

Backgrounds are now set on a per-space basis. At this time, it's not possible to easily set the same background for all spaces.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Accipiter posted:

So Launchpad doesn't respect your scroll-gesture preferences. It always uses "Natural" scrolling.

gently caress that poo poo.

Uh, no, it doesn't. If yours is, you've encountered a bug or didn't actually turn off natural scrolling.

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I really want to install Lion, but don't want to chance anything. Has anyone used any of the Creative Suite and noticed any deal breaker problems?

There are no particularly exciting or show-stopping bugs in the flagship apps. Check out the KB article.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 21, 2011

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

DirtyWorker posted:

It seems Apple is going all consumer. They've already removed Xserv, and made Lion Server an update to regular Lion...

All Server ever was was a $200–$800 markup for a couple GUIs and a server license on top of "regular" OS X. Now it's just $50 instead of $399+ for the same thing.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Haggins posted:

Anyone else having problems with 1Password and Safari in lion? I updated 1Pass, made sure it installed the safari plugin, but I don't see the menu item when I right click on a login box.

They borrowed a page from their Chrome plugin and everything has to occur through the floating 1Password box (triggered by the 1P toolbar icon).

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

chizad posted:

- Until I get used to Mission Control I'm really going to miss the ability to jump from space N back to space 1 (unless there's an option to restore that behavior that I've overlooked). Having the dashboard as a space is kinda cool though; I tended to forget it was there a lot of the time.

The keyboard shortcuts? That's been moved to the Keyboard preferences now.

You can also (for some incomprehensible reason) turn keyboard shortcuts on and off on a per-space basis, so if you have an irrational hated of Space 2, you don't have to worry about accidentally jumping to it with Ctrl-2.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

chizad posted:

The keyboard shortcuts still work fine for switching between spaces. But in SL I could use them to jump right from space 4 to space 1 (or vice versa); that doesn't work in Lion unless there's some setting I'm missing.

Keyboard preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts tab, Mission Control. Turn on all the "Switch to Desktop N" options you want to use. They're good and buried.

TACD posted:

I don't know why everybody is making this so complicated? After Lion creates the recovery partition, you can boot from that and erase from Disk Utility there, and then do a clean install. You don't need to extract any DMG files or mess about with external drives at all.

Because the recovery partition doesn't house a Lion installer. It houses the capability to download the installer.

If you want to (and can) download 4GB all over again, more power to you, but when you erase the drive you're erasing your existing copy of the Lion installer.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Astro7x posted:

So... I use to have this feature in Snow Leopard, is it gone?

I could hold Control and scroll the mouse wheel to zoom into the screen.

It's still there. It lives in Universal Access preferences, and for it to work, Zoom needs to be enabled and a setting in the Zoom section's options needs to be turned on.

If it's not working for you despite both of those being set correctly, you'll just have to wait for a bug fix in some future version of Lion. (Personally, Zoom works reliably on my MBP but occasionally quits working entirely—not even the keyboard shortcuts work—on my Mac Pro.)

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

duck monster posted:

Easier still

code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library
The ~ squiggle is bash shorthand for "my home directory"

Easier still, open the Go menu, hold Option, click Library. Now with 100% less chance of loving things up in Terminal!

Or Go — Go To Folder, and enter ~/Library there.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

brc64 posted:

I read that a few times and I still don't understand what's happening. It reads like Lion is letting people access the LDAP directory without verifying credentials, but I don't see how that would be possible. Authentication happens on the directory itself, not the connecting client, right? I must be misunderstanding the problem.

(Note: I don't really have any experience with LDAP beyond Active Directory, which is a whole different beast)

Yeah, that Reg article is terrible. Apparently what's actually happening (putting together the pieces from several other sources and a couple colleagues who have tried reproducing it) is that Lion isn't validating the password again for repeated logins on the same client system.

So your machine's bound to an LDAP server, and you sign in as network user bobdobbs with password splendid. Lion will verify that splendid is the correct password and allow you to log in to the client machine. You're done, you log out.

You/your coworker/Julian Assange come along to the same client machine and log in as bobdobbs. This time, no matter what password is entered, Lion will accept it and log you back into the client machine.

Or at least that's what I've pieced together. From my understanding, this doesn't affect anything except client machine logins where you're using LDAP as the auth source. If you're storing sensitive files on local machines or doing something stupid with network shares it may become a wider issue, but from the sound of things this isn't nearly what the Reg and the echo chamber it's created are positioning it as. Still a stupid problem and a security issue.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 31, 2011

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

MarquisDeSade posted:

Interestingly enough, when I decided to just erase both partitions, make a new one and restore onto the new, larger one with Time Machine, the Disk Utility from the recovery partition wouldn't allow me to do it, saying it couldn't unmount the the existing partitions.

It's been my experience that, given the opportunity, Lion will try to carve out a recovery partition at the end of the target install partition. So if you've got Lion on "MacBook HD Old," your problem may be that your partition table actually looks like this:
pre:
   #:                       TYPE NAME    
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme 
   1:                        EFI  
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD Old
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD
   4:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 
...or if you have two Lion partitions, tack another Recovery HD on the end.

If you've got two recovery partitions, you can nuke the middle one and should (theoretically—I haven't tried to expand a volume backwards in a while) then be able to resize. Pop open Terminal and diskutil list to find the volume identifier, then diskutil eraseVolume JHFS+ NewVolume diskXsY, substituting the correct identifier.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Martytoof posted:

e: Oh nvm, looks like Lion Server offers VPN under the list of "Services". Debating whether I want to install Server components just to get a VPN service running, or whether I should be looking at some third party software.

The VPN setup in Lion Server is so simple I paid the $50 at home for that feature alone. Forward two ports, pick a shared key, turn it on. You are done.

Hamachi may work if you want something free and self-contained, and don't need iOS devices to use the VPN.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Distorted video on a 2008 MBP, you say? And then problems booting?

Visit the Genius Bar, I say. Seriously, though, if you've got one nearby, go get it checked out. It's free, takes like 5 minutes once they actually get to you, and you may win a brand new logic board.

In the mean time, see if you can boot from the recovery CD. It could potentially be something boring like a failing hard drive (if it hasn't written itself off yet, it can just. deliver. data... very.... slowly, making boot take forever), which will be evident if it boots fine from the DVD but not from the HDD.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

unruly posted:

I left it alone for quite a bit longer and nothing changed. No disk activity, no error windows, nothing. So I quit the program and restart the computer. Upon returning to MacOS, I notice I am short on disk space in the amount I had partitioned, but I do not see any partition anywhere in Finder or Disk Utility. It's as though the space is 'gone' (though, Disk Utility does report the correct overall size of the disk).

What size is the MacOS partition? Will Disk Utility let you resize it (or add another partition)?

Basically what happens when you run through the assistant is that it resizes the Mac OS X partition, and then it creates a new partition for Boot Camp. Odds are it got through half of that, and the space is just unpartitioned at the moment.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

This isn't about how much you personally are willing to pay-- it's about what price you can set it at to earn the maximum possible profit.

Price is also inversely proportional to support costs. The cheaper you go, the more dumbasses you get who require way too much support while shouting "MY :10bux:!"

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

This seems to be a good place to ask - can I broadcast to more than one Airport Express at the same time?

Depending on the generation and firmware, yep.

You will want the second-gen (802.11n-capable) Airport Express for this purpose. The firmware version you need for Multiple Speakers on the first gen tends to crash after a couple days.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ndrake posted:

Long winded way to ask if this sound on wake is expected behavior, and if so how do I get rid of it? If not, anyone else heard it so we can figure out what's doing it?

1Password borrows the system's "rusty lock" sounds (used when you lock/unlock secure preference panes, or in Keychain Access). By default it'll lock its database after 20 minutes, after sleep, or when the screen saver activates.

It doesn't offer an option to disable the sound, but maybe there's a secret key for it. Try the AgileBits forums, maybe.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Probably a dumb question, but can I put all the "Adobe CS#" application folders into a generic "Adobe CS5" folder in /Applications/ without it breaking everything? I'd think yes but it is Adobe, so...

Theoretically yes. When you move any CS5 application, the next time you start that application, it will (should) detect it and want to "update the product configuration." Let it. This highly sensitive process requires you authenticate as an admin user.

At that point, everything should work, including updates. But maybe it will, maybe it won't, because it is Adobe, so...

Worst case it goes horribly wrong and you get stuck reinstalling Creative Suite. But it should work.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

dexter6 posted:

I'm looking for a "To Do" app recommendation that meets the following requirements:

Have you tried the stock Reminders app? Does all of that. Syncs with iCal via iCloud push.

The one caveat, which I'd certainly expect Apple to fix soon, is that you have to use both apps in some instances. Reminders can't set a due date (but will recognize one set by iCal); iCal can't set an alarm other than the due date (but will recognize one set by Reminders).

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think I get how the gfxcardstatus app works on my Macbook Pro. I set it to only use Integrated Graphics when I'm on battery. But when I turn on Twitter app or Firefox it still switches to Discrete. Am I doing something wrong?

Nope. It appears to be busted on 10.7.1.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Crackpipe posted:

It's a tiny little app that is incredibly useful to a lot of people. They should have spun it off as an optional, paid, AppStore product.

Except Rosetta isn't Apple's technology to sell, and IBM (who purchased its developer) isn't allowing third parties to license it anymore.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Olivil posted:

My Mid 2010 Macbook Pro came with Snow Leopard, which I upgraded to Lion, which means there is no recovery partition.

A recovery partition should have been created when you installed Lion. Do you have some weird custom partition layout?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

I hope Gatekeeper isn't going to be a pain for developers.

It's not. It's basically a checkbox when you compile your application. Check box, application will run on every Mountain Lion system with default settings.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

unruly posted:

I'd just like to see it expanded to Security Center Essentials levels. Not that the Mac malware landscape is really as large or as dangerous yet, but it'd be another bulwark that keeps us from running down the line that Microsoft has had to deal with for.. geeze... decades now.

Don't forget that the system already is downloading malware signatures on a regular basis and blocking applications—there's just not a pretty front end and an animated "Scanning..." bar.

It's not doing anything to stop the spread of Windows malware, but neither does MSE care about Mac malware.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Terpfen posted:

Going to revive a question that was answered several weeks ago: now that Messages overwrites and supplants iChat, how does one remotely connect to and control the desktop of another Mac? iChat screen sharing appears to be on the way out.

Why does it appear to be on the way out? It's still in Messages.

Messages is (at least as this point) just iChat with iMessage bolted on. Everything that was there is there, but you can now use iMessage as well.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Carthag posted:

Screen sharing in Messages is in the Buddies menu:

It's also available from the context menu of an open chat or the Buddy List.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Olivil posted:

Can I install 10.8 in its own partition?

So that way I can play with it but not mess with my lion install?

Yes. You can even use Disk Utility to split a chunk off your existing partition if you need to.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

lord funk posted:

Here's something along those lines: you can't delete the iMessages beta once you install it. You get an error about it being part of the system.

Clearly you've never tried to delete iChat. All of the system applications are off-limits.

If you want to "delete" the Messages beta, you have to roll back to iChat (it's in the application menu), as it is iChat Deux and replaced your original iChat.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

moron posted:

So, Mountain Lion isn't going to be compatible with my old Mac Pro 1,1. Can anyone shed any light on exactly what prevents it from being compatible?

Mountain Lion runs a 64-bit kernel. The original Mac Pro only has 32-bit EFI support and can't boot a 64-bit kernel.

Whether this applies only to the current developer preview or will carry through to release has yet to be seen; Apple so far hasn't made public announcements either way. Previous OSes have seen the support list grow as development continues.

On the other hand, Mac Pro 1,1 is headed for the vintage products list (5 years since discontinuance) in short order and may well end up unsupported. It doesn't officially go vintage until January 2013, so we may possibly squeak in for one more update. Cross your fingers.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 19, 2012

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

I completely fail to understand why you wouldn't get whatever cash for it you can right now and use it toward a new iMac.

Where do you find the iMac's 4 internal 3.5" SATA bays and 3 PCIe slots? Where do you connect your eSATA peripherals? (Probably not to OWC's adapter. No multiplier.) Where do you connect your third through sixth screens? How do you get rid of the (admittedly decent) space-hogging consumer-grade display many users neither want nor need?

A lot of users could technically and theoretically shoehorn themselves onto an iMac courtesy of Thunderbolt, but it would be an unholy abortion of yet-unreleased Sonnet PCIe enclosures and JBOD/RAID enclosures and other crap piled in front of an oft-superfluous 27" iMac screen. And you'd end up at the point you've spent more than the cost of another drat Mac Pro, Mid-2010 refresh date notwithstanding.

There is, at this stage of the game, nowhere good for many original Mac Pro owners to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

jackpot posted:

What am I doing wrong that's making my files read-only on windows? How do I avoid this without having to do all my dropboxing from windows?

Probably nothing. Even if your Macintosh permissions were read-only, they're not honored by Windows.

My guess would be they're not actually extracting the archive. Most versions of Windows treat a zip archive like a folder by default; you double-click it, a window full of files opens, and you can open files directly from it, completely oblivious to the fact those files don't exist anywhere.

That you're able to replicate it yourself by actually extracting makes that seem less like the obvious option, though.