Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Has anyone else's Launchpad hotkey stop working? I set it to F10 and it doesn't do anything after I woke it up from sleep. Tried restarting and changing the key but nothing :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

io_burn posted:

Is there a site specific browser out there that doesn't such a massively fat dick? Fluid is (apparently) not maintained anymore and suffers from some .htaccess authentication bug that makes it completely broken for what I want to use it for. I tried some Google Chrome hack to spawn a new instance of the application as a SSB but Chrome has some horrific OSX bug that causes it to engage the discrete GPU which puts my MacBook Pro into hovercraft mode.

:sigh:

Any ideas?

I wish safari was polished more because I want to use it. It doesn't engage discrete afaik.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

If it's a second gen ATV then jailbreak it and throw xbmc on it.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

awk is "cleaner" code but I learned sed first and prefer the complicated code (it's easier to write than read :ssh:).

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

PowerShell is useful in Windows if you still need to automate things.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

e: figured it out!

kloa fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 18, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

horse mans posted:

This is bugging the hell out of me. How come, every time I right-click on the desktop to get to the Desktop and Screen Saver preferences, I have to do it twice before the preferences application actually starts?

I have this same problem but when trying to change my background image :(

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Gestures should work in-game but I haven't really attempted that.

I'm not on my mbp but these are the touchpad shortcuts I have:

2-finger twist left: previous browser tab
2-finger twist right: next browser tab

3-finger down: minimize window
3-finger up: launchpad

4-finger tap: close window
4-finger up: spaces (this may be a built-in gesture, I don't remember)

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Mac newbie here. I'm trying to get BetterTouchTool set up in Safari so I can tap on the left side of the touchpad to open a link in a new tab in the background, right side for new tab in foreground, center for regular click. Unfortunately when I set this up it passes the original click through along with the cmd-click or whatever, so it wind up opening the link both in a new tab and in the current tab. Is there a better way to do something like this? In Firefox I'm used to Super Drag type extensions that let you do this with dragging links but anything that lets me use just the touchpad would be cool..

You can disable click-to-tap.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Can I disable it just for Safari? Because there's no way I'm giving it up everywhere just for this minor convenience..

Ah, not sure then.

Only other thing I could think is just make it a 3 & 4 finger tap function. I use 3-finger tap for open link in new window.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Terpfen posted:

Banks are awful at technology. A lot of them are still using mainframes—yes, mainframes.

Though thankfully, not all banks use Java. Bank of America uses JSPs, but that's it.

You think banks use mainframes because they want to? It's the only hardware/OS that can handle the amount of traffic and transactions occurring every second of the day.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

^You could probably make a hotkey via Apple scripting to enable/disable the keys like you want.

I've been using Chrome for the past few years, after switching from Firefox. I've been testing out Safari again now that I'm on OSX Mavericks and I really want to like it but I think the only thing holding me back currently is the drat favorites bar. Is there an extension that will make the bookmarks use Favicons and not just be a text-only link?

Here's what I'm trying to recreate from Chrome:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

You can just direct connect in Finder.

Go > Connect to server or hit CMD-K in Finder and it'll bring up a popup window to enter the computer name to connect to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

binarysmurf posted:

Just to clarify here, do I need to worry about cross-over cables in this situation, or just "normal" Ethernet?

It has built-in crossover capabilities, so just a normal cable works fine.