Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
Another pretty good email client you can add to the OP if you want is called Postbox you can get a free 30 day trial on their website, but it's also sold on the App Store as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

I know Adobe posted that there are some problems with drat near all of their applications in Lion. I rely pretty heavily on the Creative Suite for my job and I'm going to grad school in August and those programs are a must.

I really want to install Lion, but don't want to chance anything. Has anyone used any of the Creative Suite and noticed any deal breaker problems?

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've encountered no issues with Photoshop CS5.

Molten Llama posted:

There are no particularly exciting or show-stopping bugs in the flagship apps. Check out the KB article.

Thanks, I'll give Lion a shot later today then.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Would anyone recommend installing Lion on a C2D unibody MacBook? I was wanting to put it on my mom's computer, but I'm not sure how well it would run.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks for the help everybody. She is definitely in need of a RAM upgrade, so I'll get on that and then get her setup with Lion.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

I've skimmed through the last few pages and didn't see this, if I missed it, I'm sorry.

Since updating to Lion, when I try to drag programs or any type of file out of the Applications folder to the desktop, it creates a shortcut instead of moving the file. Is there a way to turn this off?

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Does anyone have problems with Mail constantly reindexing your gmail accounts? Ever since I updated to SL and now to Lion, Mail is constantly indexing causing me to get locked out of my gmail account.

I've tried to delete the index file, deleting and re-adding the account, nothing works.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

I have a pretty vague question, and may not be able to be answered.

Under Displays in System Preferences, I don't have a lot of resolutions available. I'm starting grad school and have to give regular presentations on a projector. The resolution I need to use is not one of the ones listed.

I was wondering if there was any way possible to add more resolutions? I know my old MacBook Pro had a ton of resolutions in that list, and I'm not sure why mine doesn't have more.

Thanks for any help.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

carry on then posted:

Yeah, this'll happen. If you use extended desktop to do your presentations (which gives you the presenter display) you'll get a separate window on the projector with appropriate resolutions. If not, I think you should still get the resolutions you'll need added. Is it a special kind of projector? The standard short throw ones I've used could deal with a large range of resolutions, including good old 1024x768.

I don't think it's some fancy kind of projector. I can use 1024x768, which is probably what I will do, but they were talking about using 1280x768 or something really close. I don't have that option which is why I was wondering.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

I've never set labels in Gmail because I've never really understood the need. I get my fair share of email, and maybe I'm just used to sifting through all of it.

How are you all setting up labels? Is there something I'm missing out on by not categorizing my email? I'm just curious as to how other people use them because I never have.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

dexter6 posted:

Labels for me are for different subject areas. Each mailing list I belong to (Rock Climbing Club, Family List Serve, Fire Department List serve, etc.) is a label. Additionally, I have a deals label which marks emails as read and archives them automatically. I use this for things like J. Crew, Groupon, etc. Things I don't need to read, but when I want something I can sift back through this label to see if what I want was sent recently.

The color codes are really cool, and the filters are pretty smart. So I can do things like, if an email contains "XYZ" and/or sent from email address ending in somethingawful.com apply this label and do this.

pipes! posted:

They play really nice with Filters/Rules. Stuff I need a paper trail for but don't need to actually read gets labeled/tagged in all the appropriate ways and then marked as read and moved out of the Inbox. I also have labels for notifications for all the various social media/web service sites I use, which, when colored, lets me quickly see what needs attention immediately and where, and what can be put off for a bit.

I also know a lot of people use them for statuses for projects, like "Todo," "Followup," etc., but personally I think the stacked conversation view combined with practicing Inbox Zero handles that without the need for extra fussing.

Mass-enabling the Show if Unread in the Label List is also another good way to see what's currently squawking at you.

Wow, these are awesome. I guess I've always thought in these ways, but never actually knew to assign specific categories to them. I'm in grad school right now and a label would be an amazing way to keep track of the mounds of poo poo I get for school.

I also really like it for groupons/facebook/twitter etc. especially since you can mark them as read. One of my biggest problems is my inbox is full of poo poo and I would love to be able to have it empty, but still be able to easily access all of the emails when needed.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

In Mail.app is there anyway to not show my replies in the conversation feed of a message?

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Mail » Preferences » Viewing. Under View Conversations, uncheck the Include related messages box

Amazing. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

echobucket posted:

Dude. Homemade fusion drive is the answer. I did it on my MBP and its great.

Edit: oh crap. Just realized you are back on 10.6.8. Never mind.

What's this about a homemade fusion drive? I'm running an SSD + HD in the optical bay on my MBP right now.