Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Joyboy posted:

Just purchased a m1 air, anyone have recommendations for word processors that aren't office 365? I used to use word perfect 3.5 a lot on my grandad's hand-me-down Mac and loved it.

If you don’t need to be certain documents will look the same on someone else’s computer viewed in Word, then just use pages which comes with your Mac. It’s nice. Otherwise; or if you don’t like pages (it can take some getting used to if you’re used to MS office) use Libreoffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Virtualbox is universally garbage, on any platform. Parallels is by far the best, UTM is free and pretty good provided you don’t need 3d acceleration. It also lets you do x86 emulation though performance is probably not going to be usable unless you’re virtualising something super old like windows 95.

VMware is fine.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Emulating x86 in UTM on Apple Silicon, even on an M1 Max is terrible.

There are certain settings you can pick which make it a little better but it isn’t going to be particularly usable if you want to run anything modern. Something like windows 95 or dos works pretty well though

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

shades of blue posted:

anyone know how well apple silicon runs eu4/other paradox games? also, like civ 6 and humankind and stuff (wondering for turn times/month times here, not frames)

Civ VI runs perfectly (at least by civ standards, it’s always had a tendency to crash occasionally even on windows).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Microsoft is now officially allowing you to licence ARM windows in a Parallels VM:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/02/microsoft-officially-blesses-parallels-as-a-way-to-run-windows-on-m1-m2-macs/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I would like to know why a rando end user on a corporate computer was even able to access that in the first place

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Am I completely imagining things or is there a baseline volume difference between safari and Firefox?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

IUG posted:

Does anyone use 1Blocker here to block individual images? I'm trying to block someone's avatar here, but apparently just pasting the URL to the image in a custom rule won't cut it. Has anyone made this work, and if so, how did you make the rule?

Lol whose AV is so godawful that you need to go to those sorts of lengths to block it? That’s an impressive achievement whoever it is.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Apparently Whoopie Goldberg got quite irate on Twitter about there not being a MacOS port of Diablo 4 for her to play.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Spoderman posted:

she’s right to. blizzard had mac ports of every game of theirs from the 90s up until overwatch. why’d they suddenly stop? they owe her an answer

drat right. I just think it’s oddly hilarious to picture her as an avid Diablo player.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

oh god nooooooo don't tempt me down that road again, I am trying to do less computer touching, not more (also, can you actually buy RPis again without camping outside a Microcenter?)

I know what I described sounds like a pain, but on Windows, it just worked (lol). Rip to FLAC. Plug in phone. Open library in MusicBee. Copy songs/albums/playlists to phone and wait a few minutes. Transcoding happens on the fly in the background. Done.

I kind of assumed that iTunes would do this for iPhones, so I didn't think it was that weird. Most of my stuff can be downloaded from Tidal, so I'm not that desperate, but I am an elder millennial who likes to have the thing from a CD.

I used to have quite an extensive cd collection but I got rid of it years ago, and now I just use Apple Music. Subscription services are the future, it’s convenient and I have so much more music than I ever could have had before, because I can just add a band’s entire catalogue - that would have cost a fortune buying each cd.

Apple Music does lossless, you’ll get sound quality every bit as good as a cd, and you can download the music to your device so you don’t need to worry about reception or data usage.

Edit: same goes for streaming services, they completely replaced my vast dvd library years ago and now I don’t even have a dvd player let alone a dvd.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My dad is considering buying a Mac for the first time. His main concern is all his complex spreadsheets - he’s still going to be using MS office on the Mac, is he likely going to find issues moving from the windows to the macOS versions of office? Formatting issues, broken formulas etc? He doesn’t use macros, or addons or stuff.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Does he use it locally? Can he see if the Office 365 web stuff works for him? Because if it can, that's always a fallback that will work.

My dad will never under any circumstances use a web app, or allow his spreadsheets to be stored on the cloud (he’s one of those people).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Yeah I don’t disagree I just brought it up since it might be useful in this case.

e: would he trust you lord bude? Could you load up a couple of his most complicated spreadsheets on your mac and give him an afternoon to gently caress around and see if his pivot tables and conditional joins work?

Probably. The barrier here is I’ve never had a need for MS office, but I’ll see if I can get a trial or if his account lets him put it on multiple computers.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

MacOS main differentiator for office is outlook, which is pretty much a different app compared to the win one. The rest has issues only on very specialized items like power pivot/power bi, for general use it should be fine (keep in mind that windows and mac have different font sets and render in their own way to print).

Don’t think printing is a huge deal, my dad mostly deals in spreadsheets and it’s mostly for his own personal finances.

Outlook is also not important since MacOS has an actual good email client built in. Thanks this is reassuring.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Graniteman posted:

I’m an engineer who puts a lot of miles on Excel. Excel on mac sucks. It somehow runs sluggishly on any mac I’ve tried, including my M1 Pro. It’s just not a good experience. Like, if I was getting a machine to run MS Office, I’d get a PC. I have my displays hooked to a gaming PC and I switch over to it when I have to do more than a little Excel stuff.

Also, no Pivot Charts on mac. That’s a big-rear end feature for a lot of people.

Excel on the mac **works** it’s just a lovely experience overall. If his main computer use is NOT Excel/Office then I think it’s fine. Office runs ok-enough on a mac, but not for heavy all-day use type stuff IMO. It gave me fits at my last job trying to do big Word documents with reviewer comments and edits going back and forth with other people. Just such a worse experience on a mac.

He’s not using it professionally, just his own spreadsheets to track his investments and finances and poo poo (he’s a retired accountant). He doesn’t use pivot charts or adding or macros. From a ‘time spent’ perspective though it would be a decent sized chunk of the time he spends on the computer. I figure If need be I can also try him on Libreoffice and numbers as a worst case scenario although those are more likely to have formatting errors in translation I would think. I’ve also installed office on my Mac using his 365 sub so he can do some tests.

Some backstory here:

At the moment he has a cheap thinkpad edge from 2016 or so. He’s in the market for a new laptop and as of 3 days ago his core requirements were:

1. Must have a 15” or bigger screen
2. Must have a numeric keypad
3. Must be under $1k AUD (for reference the 25” air is $2199 AUD). The concept of spending more than $1k on a laptop was repulsive to him.
4. Not Lenovo (due to the litany of scandals they’ve had in the time since he bought them and he doesn’t trust chinese companies)

He eventually bought an $800 Asus laptop - this one here - https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/asus-15-6-vivobook-15-notebook-core-i5-16gb-512gb-asvej1074w

It took him literally 1 hour with windows 11; and the lovely laptop screen to make him do a complete heel turn on his deepest held convictions and decide to take the laptop back for a refund and now he wants to buy a Mac to escape windows.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Sounds like he’s only using it to keep track of numbers, not manipulate them via automated functions. Would you agree?

If so then he shouldn’t have any problems with Mac Excel. Opening his existing spreadsheets in Libre or Numbers might mess up the sheet formatting he’s set up, but if he’s ok with adjusting then they would be the cheapest options.

My knowledge of excel is very basic, so I can’t really answer that. But I’m struggling with the idea that a new Mac would do anything slower than the very entry level (and now positively ancient) windows laptop he has. If I remember correctly it was purchased in 2017 and it was a runout model then. And many of these spreadsheets would have origins going back to his XP machine probably

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

2 and 3 are probably dealbreakers then (no Mac laptop has a numpad for ergonomic reasons). Mac excel will probably work fine for his use case (I used it the other day, it's pretty good!) but I don't really see the point in buying a Mac if the primary purpose is using MS office. Just buy one of the less lovely dells or something.

you don’t understand, he hated windows 11 (and some hardware related stuff with the cheap laptop he bought, but mostly windows 11) SO MUCH that after an hour or so of use he not only returned the laptop, but he had done a complete 180 on points 2 and 3 to the point where he is willing to spend the money, and buy a wireless numpad - apple actually sells one made by Belkin

I use parallels (pretty much entirely for gaming) and you can now legitimately licence windows for it, but expecting him to use parallels is a step too far most likely, both in terms of cost and general mucking around. It would be a last resort, further down the list than swapping to libreoffice or something.

He already uses an iPhone and an iPad so there are definitely some ecosystem perks for him, not to mention having an actual well built laptop with a good screen and a usable battery for the first time.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 30, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

I forgot to note, office 365 has far more features than the one-time purchase variant. Amazon does 50% discounts on the subscriptions every time there is a sale.

He’s already using 365

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Then he’d be golden with Parallels honestly.

I’m still going to get him to test it the regular way first. I suspect parallels is going to be a bitch to try to explain (he’s not someone who will happily just do what he’s told, he questions everything) and given he’s already salty at ‘Microsoft being so poo poo that they’re forcing me to spend two grand on a MacBook’ forking out for parallels and a windows licence (he’d never agree to buy a key on SA) would be an enormous stretch.

Personally I’ve always been content with numbers for my limited needs but that’s far to big of an adjustment for him just in UI terms even if everything works correctly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Quackles posted:

If he buys Parallels, you want to buy him the Windows key and not say you got it from here. Seriously. It's $15 vs like $200.

That sort of thing doesn’t work with him, he insists on documentation for everything.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Safari is still the nicest browsing experience. I’m a firm believer in using safari plus Wipr for most things, and then keeping a Firefox on hand for those dodgier parts of the internet where you need the absolute best possible ad/script/malicious crap blocking, if you’re someone who visits those sorts of places.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Kind of a funky question, but for anyone who ever buys/plays games on their Mac, where do you usually buy them? The App Store? Steam? somewhere else?

Occasionally you’ll get good games that release on the App Store or via Apple Arcade but for the most part it’s Steam or GoG. Or the blizzard launcher I guess for stuff like hearthstone and wow.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

moon demon posted:

Does anyone know if the ARM version of windows excel (running via VMware or parallels) on M2 macs is the same as the non-ARM version? Work is trying to upgrade my computer and the latest M2 Mac is tempting, but I’m worried I’ll get stuck with a crappy version of excel. I’ve already resigned to running an emulator for excel, I just want to make sure the emulated windows version isn’t handicapped even further than the Mac version.

You should look into just running excel natively first; unless you have extraordinary complex requirements it’s going to be fine; this is something I’ve investigated quite a bit over the past few weeks.

Also make sure you install it from the app store, not the Microsoft website. No idea why but it performs better when you do it that way.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

Back on Safari after a week or two with Arc. Lack of proper Keychain and saved debit card support was the last straw, along with it still guzzling a bit too much battery for my tastes.

What adblockers would people recommend for Safari? It's one of those things that's impossible to google because you get a load of machine-written listicles (which are also ironically slathered in ads).

Wipr is the best in my opinion, provided you’re happy to pay a nominal amount for one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

I tried running BG3 on my M2 Air and it surprisingly runs pretty smoothly, as long as the graphics settings are on the low-medium range. For some odd reason when I first started up the game all the settings were on ultra and it did run, but it was hellishly laggy.

Anyone else figuring out if Larian will make you erase and start over if you have already created a character and started act 1? I'm going to be bummed if my halfling charlatan bongo player will get erased.

From memory yes, and in fact if you have the early access version installed you’re supposed to delete all your saves and purge it from your computer as completely and utterly as possible before attempting to install the release version otherwise poo poo can get hosed up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

If the MacOS version gets pushed yet again I’m firing up my Deck but I’m really trying to have at least one other game installed on my Air besides Disco Elysium.

I dealt with the delay by playing through Xcom 2 again, runs brilliantly on my studio.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Hey, out of curiosity, what are your Studio’s specs?

M1 Max 32 core GPU; 32gb of ram

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

So I presume BG3 didn’t come out for MacOS today after all?

they announced the patch would be delayed by 24 hours.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It’ll give my Mac something to do while I’m at work tomorrow.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Deviant posted:

Why would my MBP refuse to wake from sleep when i tap keys on the USB keyboard? it works when i use the on-machine keyboard, but that's inconvienent as I run it closed.

Only thing I can think is the USB hub, which is sort of a requirement for the mouse and keyboard

It might not be powering the hub while in sleep mode?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

rufius posted:

He make your websites go brrrrr.

I despise websites with sound effects.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I mean go use windows for a week and come back and tell me how you feel (especially if you use edge). Sometimes restraint can be a good thing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Canned Sunshine posted:

Honestly there's a lot of issues with Windows, but I wouldn't say current Edge is really one of them...

when was the last time you used it? It’s godawful. It has poo poo everywhere. Unless you go to a lot of trouble disabling poo poo it’s like being in 2006 again and dealing with your grandma’s toolbar ridden IE6

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My dad is about to buy a Mac for the first time and I’m trying to convince him that he doesn’t need 3rd party anti virus/security software. Does anyone have any handy links to credible authorities that can back me up? They need to have evidence. He’s a retired accountant and needs facts and figures and poo poo before he believes anything.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The problem is there is some credible malware threats out there, although the largest "threats" are actually useless software such as MacKeeper. If you show him a chart showing only 2% infections is he going to be OK with that or is that still enough of a threat to just reinforce his ideas.

You might be better off explaining that not only is MacOS a small target, but Apple already has built-in malware protection in MacOS and additional software is not required
https://support.apple.com/guide/security/protecting-against-malware-sec469d47bd8/web

I showed him that link, and his response was ‘it’s meaningless because that’s just apple declaring that their stuff is safe, they don’t provide evidence or comparative testing or anything’

he’s stuck in this 90s mentality that there are all these scary viruses out there just waiting to infect him when he goes online. With his PC I was eventually able to convince him to just use windows defender but he still obsesses over AV testing from sites like AV Labs that do big comparative tests of security software that don’t reflect real world computer usage.

I think I’d need to show him charts that show infection rates with and without third party stuff, but also credible sources that explain why installing 3rd party security suites is a bad idea - for eg sources on why MacKeeper is bad (I have no idea what MacKeeper is).

at the end of the day if he installs something like Norton for Mac, Is he going to have any meaningful issues beyond wasting money? like are they going to slow his computer to a crawl, or actively harm his security?

He’s almost certainly going to be buying a base model 15” air.

He has an extremely annoying combination of total ignorance of all things computer related, but also a complete unwillingness to accept that someone just knows what they’re talking about and taking their advice at face value without ‘doing his own research’ and/or them providing concrete evidence to back up their advice.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 18, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

Can you ask him to explain how he thinks malware gains access to a computer's operating system?

where should I be going with this line of questioning?

(Ultimately, though, I think anything of this sort is going to lead to him saying ‘but that’s just what you say, I need proof)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

I imagine that by you letting him come to the realization that viruses don't infect computers by the laptop inhaling respiratory droplets but rather by users browsing and downloading from lovely websites maybe you can have him understand his own behavior and what sites he frequents will have the greatest impact on how safe his browsing experience is...

Honestly you must have the patience of a saint because I would have :sever:'d already

I live with him, so can’t really sever. He is infuriating though. This is someone who keeps their computer disconnected from the internet unless they are actively using their web browser, and won’t do anything online until they’ve manually checked for updates that day and installed them.

He has a spreadsheet where he tracks how much he paid for fuel and what mileage he got out of that tank going back decades. He’s fundamentally broken.

Like, he can’t handle having a normal conversation with someone or having someone recount something. He expects people to communicate in executive summaries and bullet points, even in verbal conversation, with him ‘asking questions if he wants further elaboration on anything’ and gets frustrated when people don’t do that.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 18, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Is he also buying office 365? It includes a decorative AV for mac which doesn't consume much in the way of resources to satiate this kind of clientele.

He currently has an office 365 subscription but he is investigating swapping to numbers to save money and offset the cost of a Mac. He’s always been resentful of the office cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Badly Jester posted:

This was never about AV yes/no in the first place. It's about the abject despair of dealing with a parent like that. Or maybe I'm projecting.

I mean it would be nice to have something concrete to point him towards, if only so he shuts up about it.

But I’ve been trying to get him off his lovely $800 laptops and onto a Mac for many years, so I’m super invested in the experience being as good as possible.