Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
One thing that’s useful to adapt to coming from windows is that while a mouse is certainly required for specific use cases, the Mac trackpad is vastly better than anything available to windows users and for general computing it’s fantastic. There are all sorts of gestures that are helpful to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Icons are a way to quickly identify something without having to actually read it without using much space on a display.

For example, I couldn't tell this thread's tab is on SA without seeing the grenade favicon, because the thread title is too long and the tab cuts off the part that says "The Something Awful Forums".

They're great.

Using the SA app is better.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I tend to always scroll with my trackpad, even if I’m using the mouse (which I mostly only do if I’m playing a game.)

The only time scrolling feels weird is when I’m using windows in a VM via parallels and I can’t tell if it’s because of something to do with MacOS or if my mouse wheel is dying (I suspect the latter).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My dad has been using mail.app on his new Mac and he doesn’t like the way that when you attach a document to an email it shows a great big preview of the document instead of just an icon. Can this behaviour be changed?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tippis posted:

Only for new emails you write yourself. Anything incoming is still subject to Apple's whims, and as bonus funtimes, there are semi-approved and semi-hidden ways of making attachment show as icons that make them not show at all on the receiving end. So yay.

For the new-mail preview, you can use
code:
defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

thanks. It’s something at least. I assume doing this won’t be one of those things that causes issues at the other end?

edit: trying this out in a terminal window on my mac just throws up an error message, is there something else that needs to be done?