Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erinyes
Jun 1, 2007

the sound and the fury
Apologies if this is an unbearably repeated question, but I've recently just acquired the 2015 MBPro 13' and immediately after booting it up for the first time and installing both Chrome and Firefox, I'm noticing a significant amount of scrolling and loading lag on those two browsers compared to Safari. Even with minimal extensions running or even apps in the background, the experience is downright stuttery. Safari was running without a hitch, so I tried to turn off transparency + increase contrast but that did little to help. The last piece of advice I found was to reset the PRAM and that didn't do anything significant.

In comparison, I'm also using mid 2012 MB Air 13' on Yosemite 10.10.3 isn't experiencing this issue at all. I have an appointment with the genius bar as a check-in, but I'm curious if this is just a normal experience with the latest OX updates or if there's any potential I may have a faulty machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erinyes
Jun 1, 2007

the sound and the fury

MrMoo posted:

It's the video acceleration, I know Chromium's bug tracker is filled full of outstanding issues. Some of the issues can be found on chrome://gpu/ Safari manages to perform magic that makes things work.

Thanks for the explanation! Is there a workaround or fix that one can apply? Looks like I should cancel my reservation at the Genius Bar - everything else works well so far for all other intensive applications (Photoshop/Indesign), just really annoyed that the experience on Chrome is less than. I almost considered returning the Pro and going with a souped up Air instead...

Erinyes
Jun 1, 2007

the sound and the fury

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The workaround is to use the excellent Safari browser.

Just curious as to why I'm only experiencing lag on the 2015 Macbook pro but the 2012 Air is running without a hitch using the same Chrome/Firefox versions.

Safari being the only one that doesn't lag makes me :confuoot: