Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I'm not really sure where to put this since it involves three different topics but I'll try here first -

Just bought an 80GB Intel 320 series SSD to put in an old black macbook. Through previous experience I've had to do this round-a-bout procedure to get OS X onto a new HDD and it almost always works:

1) Boot from my Snow Leopard Upgrade/Install disc on a separate 13" MBP
- The new drive is connected via USB to this machine as well.
2) Via 'Disk Utility' on the install disc, format the new drive (Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID, etc.)
3) Begin the installation process.
4) Finish install, put the new HDD into whatever machine I want it to be in.

I've tried this with the new SSD twice today, but both times the installation has failed. The progress bar will fill up halfway, after about 15 minutes, and will just say 'Install Failed'.

I'm at my wit's end with this and about ready to loving throw every computer I own and the new SSD off my balcony. WTF am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

why wouldn't you put the ssd in the computer you want to put an ssd in, boot from the snow leopard disc, format the ssd and install mac os x?

It says it can't install Snow Leopard because the hard drive doesn't already have existing copy of OS X installed. As if it thinks I want to upgrade the OS, but there's nothing to upgrade.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Where'd you get the disc from?

Purchased directly from Apple when Snow Leopard was released. It says 'Upgrade DVD' on the disc, but I've been able to use it to install OS X on brand new hard drives before as is.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

I have the newest generation Mac Mini with a USB DVD burner and only became aware recently that Apple didn't bundle iDVD with iLife '11, unless you order a physical copy of it from them. I assume they still provide it with new machines that have a built-in burner. Is there a software alternative to iDVD that is:

1) Free
2) Uncrippled while remaining free

I searched and couldn't find any thing that didn't put limitations on burner capabilities if you didn't cough up money for it.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

I'm looking to sell both my macbook and macbook pro. The drives will be wiped and either Snow Leopard or Lion will be installed, depending on the buyer's choice.

How do I go about also installing iLife '11 without having to set up a user account? Do I need to bake the iLife install into the OS installations somehow? And how would I do that?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

From out of freaking nowhere, OSX Mountain Lion!

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/02/16/first-look-os-x-mountain-lion/

Saw this first on The Verge and my first reaction was to check the date and make sure today actually wasn't April 1st.

Messages app makes me all tingly in my nether regions.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

I'm wanting to install an 80GB SSD in my 2011 mac mini. Instead of starting from scratch with a new OS install, I'd like to clone the existing system drive to the SSD. The original system drive is 500GB.

I know I can use Carbon Copy Cloner to move everything over, but do I need to partition the 500GB first? and if so, whats the the best way of doing that without losing all of my data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

ptier posted:

Every time I have done that the drive ends up being really slow / boot slow because of how the drives handle blocks I think.

Then I would do it from scratch and it would be awesome. Those have been my experiences with Intel and Crucial SSDs.

Ugh, alright. I guess thats manageable.

Thanks for replying. The avatars make it look like I'm having a conversation with myself.