Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I (accidentally) lied in my original post- if I turn execute off then the permissions don't get overwritten. All I wanted to do was disable the drat menu bar. Someone else has since told me the only way to do that is hacking Cocoa (eg. with SIMBL).
Is the execute bit necessary on Info.plist?

Unrelated:
Does VMWare Fusion work fine under Mountain Lion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

quadratic posted:

I like Mountain Lion, but I hope there's a way to have Chrome opt-out of Notification Center.
Wait, is Chrome in the App Store? (I don't see it?) I thought Notification Center was one of the things only App Store apps could use?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

geonetix posted:

I'm kind of worried about Notes. I use stickies religiously at work, but I wouldn't want them to appear in iCloud, because of privacy and security considerations. Is there a way to store Notes only in iCloud if you explicitly want them to be there, instead of the opting-out way?

On that note, how does conversion from stickies to notes go?
Stickies.app appears to be still be present in the GM build.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Scienter posted:

Ha, your update to the thread was the first thing I clicked on as I noticed this. Loving this new Safari so far.
The loss of Activity Window and View Source sucks in it, though.

Phummus posted:

I bought my MBP Retina 5 days ago and don't have the powernap option.
Same here :(

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
In the Ars review of ML, I noticed this:
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/installer.png

How do you change the thumbnail of a disk?

Edit: Can I no longer drag in a custom image for my user icon in System Preferences?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 27, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

decypher posted:

If I remember correctly, the default setting is to Allow programs to run from the AppStore and known, registered developers. That's the middle of the road option.
Incidentally, this only applies to downloads from the internet and such. It doesn't seem to apply to applications on a CD.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any Retina Mac owners that use Windows periodically? Trying to decide whether I want to go the Bootcamp or VMWare route.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anyone having trouble logging into their Apple account on iTunes or App Store? I can access it fine on the website.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
The Safari address bar is only displaying the hostname and not the full URL of the page I'm at it. Can I change that? It annoys me.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
If I burn Lion/ML to DVD, can I upgrade a machine running 10.5 to it?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm having issues with my iMac lately (running 10.8.1, was a fresh install), the sound occasionally crackles and I see this in the log:

kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0xffffff8030ff3c00]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (26e,2a84)->(270,1a54).

Anybody run into this before?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Incidentally, there's a weird issue with the Office update. (And I got mine via Microsoft AutoUpdate.)

The OS still thinks they're low-res only and I had to change the timestamps on the bundles before they would open in retina.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Welp, the stuttering and jerkiness and occasional freezes in Mountain Lion have gotten worse, to like twice an hour now. I'm really kind of pissed about this. This article from August is still accurate for me. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57489874-263/sound-stuttering-after-mountain-lion-installation/

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I have OS X on my SSD and my user profile on another HDD in my iMac. If I were to wipe OS X and re-install it, what directories/files in my home directory (Library, Preferences, Application Support, etc) should I also get rid to ensure the most unconfigured, unmolested OS X reinstallation?

You too? I thought I was the only one.

I also have an iMac with an SSD and HD, and this just started happening a few days ago.

I'm trying an OS X reinstall now.

On an unrelated note, are people still using Apple's Java 6 release or should I use Oracle's Java 7 release now?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 21, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Do you have a Thunderbolt display? I'm trying to narrow things down.
No, I only use the built-in iMac display.

edit: I think I had installed VMWare and Skype in the few days before I noticed it happening.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 21, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Did Flash Pro just get a retina update?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Photoshop has finally been retina-ified!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Has anyone had problems with items in the menubar not updating? Often times, the clock is out of date and I have to click on it to see the real time. Which sucks.

FWIW, this is on a Retina MBP running the latest version of ML.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anyone run into a problem where full screening flash content... doesn't actually full screen it? It's seems to occupy the top-left corner, with white space for the remainder.

It happened on two separate Macs tonight, so I can't assume it's just a coincidence.

EDIT: Looks like there was yet another Flash player update that fixes the issue.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 14, 2013

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is Oracle's Java 7 implementation any better/worse than the Apple version 6 one?

(Asking for desktop, not Applet use.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So they're going to discontinue support for 32-bit apps in OS X too.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

wdarkk posted:

Holy poo poo really?
Before anyone panics, this isn't happening immediately. Apps on the App Store have a full year to be 64-bit compliant. The version after High Sierra will begin warning users of 32-bit apps. So you've got two years, at least.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I hope APFS is pretty drat solid by now. A buggy filesystem does not make for a good time.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apparently the High Sierra GM dropped.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apparently APFS in 10.3.0 does not work on Fusion drives?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
The updates usually drop in the App Store around 10am PT, right? Do we have any indication yet if they've updated since the GM Candidate?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Wow, they removed telnet and ftp from High Sierra.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Axiem posted:

Shouldn't you just be using ssh and scp anyway?
That's not the purpose I - or anyone I work with - uses telnet for. Rather, it's great for testing connectivity to and responses from various services (like HTTP) and a various oddball network devices, and things of that nature.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Does APFS support Fusion drives yet?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody use Office 2016 here?

Unlike Office 2011, you can't install on two computers. I have one license for Office 2016, any reason I can't buy another license and use it on the same account?

I prefer to avoid subscription software where possible.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Anyone have any positive impressions (anything that surprised you in a good way) about the Mojave betas so far? I had to look at the Apple preview page to remind myself what Mojave is even bringing besides cosmetic stuff, and it doesn't look terribly interesting.
APFS Fusion support, Dark Mode

(But really, desktop OSes are fairly mature and they're doing frequent releases, so it's not like you're going to see tons of amazing stuff every release.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So MacOS Mojave drops 9/24.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
For anyone so inclined, Ars Technica has their usual in-depth review up.
https://arstechnica.com/features/2018/09/macos-10-14-mojave-the-ars-technica-review/

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Chrome and Opera (and a lot of small internet utilities) appear to lack Dark Mode support, although Firefox has it.

Unsure about Office and Creative Cloud, they're not installed on this machine.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So why does Dropbox suddenly need me to give it permissions for accessibility?
I'm pretty sure this has been the case in previous OS versions, too.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
By the way, there's a new version of VMWare Fusion out now and apparently Office 2019 will be arriving in the next few weeks.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's already out for the most part. Office 16.17 is Office 2019. It's already out for O365 users and the VL just came out yesterday.
Wonder how long we'll have to wait for dark mode support in Office. (I'm presuming it's not already there.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Binary Badger posted:

I will admit having to jump between light/dark menus is pretty irritatiing / retina scorching, especially in MS Office 2019 (have a corporate license and it's 16.17) as even though it was updated recently, it does NOT support dork dark mode.
Why am I not surprised

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Last Chance posted:

Fusion Drives and HDDs will not be converted to APFS upon upgrade to High Sierra.
I tried to convert a partition on my Fusion drive to APFS in Mojave; no go.

Disk Utility posted:

Converting “Second_Partition” to APFS

Converting HFS Volume to an APFS Container which will export one APFS Volume
The target is the Journaled HFS+ volume “Second_Partition” backed by the GPT partition disk0s3
The target is a data disk; it is not a macOS system disk
Found APFS EFI driver /usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi to install into the APFS Container
The target is not encrypted
Unmounting disk0s3
Exiting conversion operations with error code -69888
The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.DiskManagement error -69888.)

Operation failed…

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Last Chance posted:

Mojave should upgrade Fusion Drives automatically upon upgrade. Did it not upgrade yours automatically?

I think there was a weird case where 3tb Fusion Drives were screwed up and won't allow an upgrade to Mojave if you have a Bootcamp partition, but other than that, I think it should be happening automatically.
Yeah, I have three partitions, including Bootcamp. Weirdly, I can't seem to convert my second partition manually (see above).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ultimate Mango posted:

In all fairness the 3Tb Fusion drives have had more problems than just that.
What other issues have there been? (That's what I have in my iMac.)