Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I need to do some simple video editing, ultimately exported to OGG format. Is there any good tool for this? It doesn't seem like the Apple or Adobe video editors support OGG natively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is Mojave-in-VMWare a reasonable solution? (Of course, doesn't help you once you leave Intel.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
There's also Photoshop Elements, which works reasonably well for a lot of stuff (and comes for a flat fee).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Chris Knight posted:

I haven't used Elements in a fair few years, but last time I did they had hosed around with some very basic Photoshop conventions to make it annoying to figure out how to do simple things. It was less a light version of PS than some bastard other picture editor with the PS name grafted on.

I have 2021 on this machine, if you use the "Expert" tab, it appears or acts mostly like Photoshop with some options removed.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I don't know if I should post this in the hardware or software thread, but what is people's solution for the stuff Rosetta doesn't support in the M1 world?

Examples:
I have some old x64 docker containers that qemu dies a terrible death on, and no ARM equivalent exists of currently.
I have a couple of old 32-bit Mac Apps that I run in a VM for which I don't think an ARM equivalent exists of.

Fortunately, these aren't things I have to use frequently but I'm wondering if keeping an old Intel Mac and using Remote Desktop is the way to go.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Family member has a 2015 MacBook Air and doesn't seem to want a new machine, but I don't them running an old OS with security vulnerabilities -- do the newest OSes run okay on older machines, or which release do peeps here usually like to run on machines like these?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Huh, command line "python" is gone now. Just "python3".

Now they had been warning that python2 would go away, but it is not normal for "python" to point to the latest version?

(Also, the first time I ran it, it spit out a bunch of errors before starting.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
If I have Big Sur on a machine, and I do a restore, will it restore to the latest Big Sur or to Monterey?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I don't know if this belongs in the hardware or software thread, but I met up recently with a coworker who had a Asus Zenscreen he used as a second laptop monitor. I thought this was pretty rad, so I'm curious if there are recommendations for what works well with Macs.

I'd like something about the same size as the MBPs I use (so, 15 or 16 inch). I do see there are even some portable 4k monitors but I'm unsure if I can treat those as 2K retina or if it'll just make everyone squint.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Retina is weird. It’s purely a marketing, naming scheme that Apple uses for screen that have a high resolution for their screen size, giving them a higher pixel density.

Yeah, I know that, I use the term to refer to the behavior of treating high-resolution monitors like they're actually running at 1/2x the width/height and drawing everything much sharper. Using a 4K at 15' native resolution would not be fun, but at ultra-sharp 1080, it might be.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

kefkafloyd posted:

Serif released version 2 of the Affinity suite.

Key takeaways:

No subscription. V1 will continue to work, but there will be no further updates. V2 is a paid upgrade for version 1.0 users. Now offering a Universal license that covers all 3 apps for all platforms.

They’re running a $99 special for the universal license. I don’t see any specific discounts for v1 users, so I’m guessing the discount price will be the upgrade price eventually.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

Thanks Ants posted:

I used to :filez: Photoshop to do stupid little edits, bought Pixelmator and then bought Affinity Photo. Pixelmator always felt a bit like stepping back to Paint Shop Pro, Affinity Photo seems more powerful. I am aware I do not use half the features it has.

So if anyone is interested in another option, I just noticed Photoshop Elements 2023 is in the App Store for $59.99 USD. It's M1 native now.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is there a good, free or cheap tool for minor edits to audio these days? [edit: More than just trimming the beginning/ending]

I used to use Audacity, but...

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Can you share a bit more about your use case? I could make a better recommendation then.

For now, I just need to concatenate some WAV files, trim little bits and pieces out (sometimes from the inside, not the edges), maybe do a fade or two, and eventually save it back to WAV format. Things like that.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Yeah, I stand by Audacity.

I thought there were some major concerns about data collection in Audacity? Did that turn out not to be true?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Binary Badger posted:

Rosetta 2 will probably get yoinked / blocked from downloading at the same time

This is what I'm curious about...

Unrelated, so Dell has a 6K (and even an 8K!) monitor that is significantly cheaper than Apple's, will these run retina 3K resolution?

Also, what happens if you hook one of these (Apple or Dell) to an older MBP that doesn't do 6K? Does it just render at 4K/5K/.etc?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Why do you want a 6k or 8k monitor at desktop sizes

I'm sometimes working on some very high-res, detailed artwork, and I think I'd benefit from a bigger, higher-res display (and that my eyes would appreciate).

Currently have an LG 5K.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Kind of a funky question, but for anyone who ever buys/plays games on their Mac, where do you usually buy them? The App Store? Steam? somewhere else?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mst4k posted:

About to get a 64gb mb3 max to do some major .net 8 coding and Mac gaming nothing better than a MBP hell yeah

Do you use Rider?

Apparently Microsoft is discontinuing Visual Studio for Mac, and I could never just never get into VSCode.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mst4k posted:

Yes, Rider absolutely rules and C# is the best programming language to do pretty much anything with and don't let anyone tell you different because they are wrong.

I admit the last time I tried VS on Mac was several years ago but it was a joke. VS is a joke as a whole to be honest but they have to support so much poo poo it'd be a nightmare to work on so I feel bad for those guys. The move to 64 bit must've been hell.

M3 coming in the mail hell yeah ship that poo poo Tim Apple

I think the new release of Rider is coming soon, looks like they've hit release candidate. .net8 support is not great atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any recommendations on good animation software on macOS?

I don't mind paying for software but I hate Adobe's subscriptions.