Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Are 1Blocker and Wipr still recommended as per the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I gave 1Blocker a try and it seems to be only useful if you pay the lifetime fee. I tried to go to a random site and STILL got ads anyway...and it was a lovely popup add too so off my MBA it went.

I'll try out Wipr and maybe try to set up NextDNS profile or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Whenever the bigger MacBook Pros come, would it be a wise decision to go to the Apple Store, trade in my M1 MacBook Air, and pick up the similarly spec'd MBP 16" or whatever? I'm new to MacOS and not sure how good MBA is vs MBP when I use the MBA while it's connected to a 4K monitor with BT keyboard and trackpad 2.

Not sure how good the fans would be but I noticed it doesn't exactly like having a multihour long Zoom going with mic/cam, screen recording, and Docker at the same time as it got decently warm. I really wish Zoom wasn't used in my university...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

MacBook Airs are supposed to be optimized for weight and battery life above all else; the Pro line is meant to be optimized for performance, which is why the M1 Air has no fans and the M1 13-inch 2-port MacBook Pro does.

When the M1 14-inch and 16 inch Pros come out, it's implied those will have better, faster CPUs at the expense of somewhat shorter battery life.

As to whether or not it's a wise decision to trade in the Air for a Pro, you should be asking yourself whether performance or portability / battery life matter to you more.

Hmm.. I think, thanks to the intensive stuff like Docker, many Zoom calls, and screen recording at the same time, I'll swap the Air for a Pro sometime. I probably won't be using the Touch Bar that much anyway and a larger screen is always welcome.

Thanks! :)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ihafarm posted:

Just curious about your stated workload, specifically the screen recording…

It's for IT Infrastructure class at my university. The professor does Zoom calls, requires the camera and mic be on and does recordings but refuses to make them available for download in any fashion so I have to save them myself because the internet and power can be spotty here. Docker is a new thing that started being needed as of a few weeks ago and the MBA M1 doesn't seem to like Docker or Zoom..but I hate Zoom too so it's not alone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

Wife’s M1 MBA hated Zoom initially and then she managed to get some kind of update, I think, that was M1 compatible?

My M1 MBP was fine with Zoom out the box, however, so you can maybe rest easy there.

This is good news at least though I think it's mostly Docker in combination with the screen recording and Zoom. Zoom by itself seems okay.

SlowBloke posted:

If your prof wasn't such an rear end in a top hat i would suggest to use NDI to offload the audio & video to another recorder but it will make a very evident popup that will startle the professor.

Yeah, with him demanding that everyone share their screen just if they have a simple question, he'd never go for this.

Thanks Ants posted:

Could you run your internal display at a lower resolution with Zoom on, and record that screen?

He shares his screen constantly and it's, unfortunately, hard enough for me to see the tiny text from that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I just had to install Zoom the other day for the first time, if you go to the download center there is an M1 download that’s separate from the main one. Maybe try that?

Thanks Ants posted:

Ugh Zoom is one of those vendors that serve you the downloads based on detecting your platform, with no option to override if you're downloading for someone else.

Anyway, after changing the user agent, here's the M1 link https://zoom.us/client/latest/Zoom.pkg?archType=arm64

I'll give this a shot, thanks!

Friend of mine thinks it's Docker causing the problem. I've not used Docker before, but it apparently isn't that great for resources.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

In class right now (well, doing class on Zoom). We're not using Docker today and just listening to a guest speaker from Microsoft go on and on about random things not exactly pertaining to things we've done from class... Anyway, the MBA doesn't seem to like the recording + video + mic + Zoom + Chrome. I think I'll look into the MBP 14 or 16 if it drops. This includes sending video to a 4k display as well.

If not, can the M1 MBA be traded in for the M1 MBP from 2020 or is there no trade value for the M1s yet?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 4, 2021

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Do you have to specifically use Chrome for something? It's been fairly poorly behaved on macOS for years and I think these days the recommendation is generally Firefox if you don't want to use Safari.

For what it's worth I've run similar workloads to you on a base model M1 Air but using Safari and Teams instead of Zoom/Chrome and haven't really noticed any performance differences to the Intel 2018 15" MBP I was using previously.

What software are you using for the screen recording? I use Camtasia because we have a licence for it through work but it's also Apple Silicon native so I assume that helps performance significantly.

It's mostly due to my instructor only testing things in Chrome, it's honestly quite annoying. I wish I could just not use Zoom but that's just not what the college does anymore. To the point where they have a partnership with it and any video you record must be through Zoom and sending a Zoom link is required if it's recorded...despite using Canvas and you can upload stuff with that.

Also he prefers PDF over DOCX so screenshots look weird as I have to use Word (which, thankfully isn't something I have to pay for due to college) to change the document to PDF and then things look awful.

But my bitching aside, I'm using the default screen recording built into macOS, should I use OBI or something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sorry, today's been a busy day.

With Zoom, mic and cam on, screen recording, pushing to a 4K monitor, and having Chrome running, it heat up pretty well but I'm not sure how warm it actually got. With Docker running in that scenario, it got warmer.

I checked to see if Zoom and Docker were their M1 versions and they are...honestly maybe the problem IS Chrome and possibly the monitor too?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After accessing what's been going on, I think it would actually be more beneficial for me to just get a Mac Mini and not use the MBA for classes unless I'm not at home and actually on-campus (which I won't be for the foreseeable future thanks to COVID). Plus, the Mini is cheaper than the MacBook Pro at similar specs and fits better into my budget. Also, I'd get to keep the MBA which I really do like outside of the warming issues I've gotten.

ArcticZombie posted:

What does this mean? That it’s chugging under the load? I feel like what amounts to video chat and web browsing should absolutely not be bringing an M1 to its knees. Am I massively underestimating how much of a resource hog both Zoom and Chrome are?

It's not that it's chugging but it's getting much warmer (to me at least?) than usual, even when running Chrome with multiple tabs (15+...I really like tabs), Telegram (which uses a LOT of battery), and working on my Synology NAS.

I did try Safari but that only lasted for a few minutes as I had issues with HBO Max logging in on that...not sure why.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If you plan to use the mini for labs I would suggest evaluating the nbase/10g network upgrade so that you can use remote storage almost as quick as local

I was planning on adding this along with maybe the Education Apps to get Final Cut Pro and whatnot along with it for cheaper.

How credible are these rumors for the new M1X/M2 Mac Mini? I'm not sure if I should just wait or just grab it now and get a free pair of AirPods.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If you plan to use the mini for labs I would suggest evaluating the nbase/10g network upgrade so that you can use remote storage almost as quick as local

Would this be worth getting if my NAS doesn't support 10g (Synology DS920+) and my Internet is only half a gig?

FCKGW posted:

Apple still sells an Intel Mac Mini so it's possible they just bump that one up with the new Apple Silicon and leave the base M1 untouched (like they will likely do with the MBP) or they scrap it and refresh the whole lineup.

Mercurius posted:

Depends on what you want to get out of the Mini, I guess. The Mac Mini doesn't really have the same downsides that the M1 iMac/MacBooks do with only supporting one external monitor because it doesn't have an internal screen hardwired to one of the two outputs so you're good to use dual monitors on it (one via USB-C and one via HDMI).

The performance is obviously the same as the rest of the M1 lineup but that's honestly pretty good for most stuff. It also has the advantage of having a cooling system designed for an Intel chip in it (like the M1 MBP does) meaning it can truck along with everything at max and not have to throttle even when you're pushing it hard for an extended period of time. There's also the other advantage that was already mentioned of being able to stick a much faster NIC into it if you want.

There may well be a significantly faster model coming out after they eventually refresh the high-end MacBook Pros to Apple Silicon but I'd also expect it to be significantly more expensive. You can probably expect an M2 refresh next year sometime if they continue to operate how they do with the iPhone/iPad but that's likely to just be the same core configuration but faster (and hopefully with an extra Thunderbolt controller to add support for more external displays but you can't tell sometimes with Apple).

I'm planning on picking up the M1 version as it should be good enough for my needs, thanks for the help on this!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Nothing stops you to eventually upgrade to a more powerful nas. The 10g port is not about internet speeds but internal networks so you could use your m1 to provide(or receive) services to(or from) multiple hosts at 1g(as long as you have a 10g port on your switch). You cannot upgrade a single bit of the m1 so I would suggest to splash a bit on features during purchase.

Oh sweet that does actually sound pretty cool.

I could plug the Synology into that port if I can move things around to do so, then get faster speeds. Could also use it as LAN instead if needed?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Your current synology is locked to 1g, direct connect won’t help. What are you currently using for switching duties? A dedicated switch or your isp router?

Right now, the Synology is just connected to the dedicated switch (my connection is just half a gigabit currently) and everything it does anything with does so by network drives. I'll admit, Networking isn't really my strong suit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

binarysmurf posted:

This is what I'm waiting for. There were strong rumours a while back that an M1X Mac Mini would release after the now almost mythical 14/16" MBPs ("They're coming soon..Honest!!" 😲) release this coming quarter, but these rumours seem to have tailed off. I'll look at the Mac landscape early and pull the pin on an upgrade then. I'm just of those people who would kick themselves if I jumped on an M1 system only to have the M1X release a month later.

I'm still mulling about the Mac Mini myself...have been waffling over gigabit ethernet vs 10-gig for a while now and 1TB vs 512GB (have 1TB in the MBA M1). The M1X/M2 would be much more expensive most likely and push out of my budget.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

japtor posted:

Yeah it'd likely be the replacement for the higher end Intel model that's still around. Course the lower end ones could be updated too, even if just for the rumored redesign if there's no new lower end chip.

Some new rumor said they'll be 2022, probably the usual early/"Spring" window they tend to do stuff (and likely with the long rumored MBA redesign). If you can deal with your current hardware and really want the latest, keep that possible longer wait in mind. Alternatively find a lower end one on sale to hold you over for now then sell and do your real planned upgrade whenever that time comes.

Thing is, I'm super not comfortable with the MBA being used in clamshell 24/7 and would like a fan so probably will snag the M1 Mini and sell it later for M1X/M2 or whatever if I need it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Are the Mac mini Bluetooth issues that bad?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

Dunno about the new ones, but my 2017 model was atrocious. Routinely failed to connect to Bluetooth devices, or dropped connection. And Airplay was just like "No recipients detected, what are you playing at?"

Apparently these carry over to the M1 Mac Mini but somehow worse...seeing as the only place I could put the Mac Mini is up on a shelf due to issues with space, I might just go for a 256GB iMac and move stuff around so my 4K external is up on the shelf to use for YouTube or other videos.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 20, 2021

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently these carry over to the M1 Mac Mini but somehow worse...seeing as the only place I could put the Mac Mini is up on a shelf due to issues with space, I might just go for a 256GB iMac and move stuff around so my 4K external is up on the shelf to use for YouTube or other videos.

I ended up doing this, actually. The iMac will be here in September.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Can anyone with the M1 iMac measure the stand for me? Dimensions.com claims 5" but that feels wrong....

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Seconding "AdGuard for Safari" to kill Youtube ads. Youtube is the only site I have it installed for, everything else is handled via 1blocker.

Did you have to pay for 1Blocker to get it to be useful?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What's a good mouse for Mac OS? I tried the Logitech MX master 3 and it's DOA out of the box

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know of a good case for the 16" MacBook Pro M1 Pro? I found https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-MacBook-Surface-Chromebook-Leather/dp/B08B3H34KP this but I don't know if it's my only option or not.

Thanks.

Also I went with the Magic Trackpad on my iMac.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

If you've got some cash, buy a Waterfield sleevecase (or other bag). http://www.sfbags.com

How much protection do these offer?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it worth getting AppleCare on a new MacBook Pro 16" or should I just not bother?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Just use the iPad awful app on your Mac if you have an AS mac. It’s great.

This is the best advice. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know of a good FTP client for MacOS?

I was using a trial of Transmit 5 a few years ago but now the trial is done. I don't want to pay a subscription for it and there's literally no way to buy it on the website anymore since they took the payment page and whatnot down. I guess it's DOA in terms of development?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

its HIM posted:

I just went to Panic’s Transmit page and there’s a big fuckoff “Buy it” button right underneath the logo/title. It’s $45.

I just tried this on my Windows machine and it works fine, but when I try on the Mac I get:

Weird. I'll just buy it on Windows then I guess.

Thanks!

Also I'm using FTP to upload to my website...don't know of any other way to do it, really...it's just how I've always done it. Unless you don't need to use those anymore? I'm open to try it a different way. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Sftp. Please.

Is it possible for Mac do SFTP natively?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Yes, it's part of ssh. I can give you like a 10 different ways to upload your poo poo to your personal website, but please stop using ftp. It's an insecure protocol.

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah everyone is now using SFTP or better..

Transmit is up to version 5, supports uploading to nearly every major cloud service in existence and had its code overhauled to provide faster transfers.. they even made a Mac App Store version which I believe for years they refused to..

I'll switch to SFTP then! I'm interested in learning about different ways to upload to the site if a standalone program isn't always the only option.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Perplx posted:

If you are updating code the "proper" way is to store everything in git and have it deploy to production using hooks.

I've used Git before in classes but didn't think about using it for my personal site.

Does the repository in Git have to be public or can I push it to a private one ?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Perplx posted:

If you are updating code the "proper" way is to store everything in git and have it deploy to production using hooks. If you are uploading a bunch of random files, use rsync or some syncing tool like sync thing. If you want to adopt unix sysadmining as a lifestyle you can send zfs snapshots.

At a minimum you should be using scp, sftp, webdav, samba over vpn, etc as a direct replacement for ftp because ftp sends your password in plain text and can be stolen easily on shared wifi.

My server is LithiumHosting and I don't know how to get SSH stuff working for it. I think that's outside of this thread's scope and probably need to pop into one of the networking threads or something.

Thanks for the help though! I might stick with Transmit 5 until I can figure out how to make SSH work so I can use git.

frogbs posted:

I think lots of folks say FTP but they're almost always using SFTP. In my experience most hosts force SFTP these days...I hope.

If you've got to use SFTP, Transmit is the best, but Cyberduck or FileZilla will do as well.

Yah I think I meant SFTP too, honestly never paid attention to the differences.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does Mail.app allow you to go through and Mark As Read all emails or something? The only reason I don't use Mail on my iPhone or Macs is because I have literally thousands of emails that are unread (mostly spam from companies that want me to buy something or political crap). I wish Inbox by Google was still a thing..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stage Manager is the best thing ever to manage my ADHD.

Don’t know how good it is on my iPad Pro though since I really intend use Procreate on that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I use AdGuard too but it seems like Wipr might be just as good from all the responses here?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

istewart posted:

I haven't been on a Mac as my main machine for over 10 years at this point, and Ventura released less than a week after I got this MBA. I guess the iOS-style System Settings app is probably the standout change for me, but since I've been on iPhones already for a while, it wasn't that big a deal. My brief time with old-style System Preferences in Monterey made it seem like they had really downsized it and squished things together since the last time I used OS X, but maybe that's a function of higher-resolution screens these days. The biggest frustation so far was that I didn't figure out right away how to share files with my Windows desktop under Ventura, but I can see now that it would have been relatively easy to get going if I had been less lazy and spent about 30 more seconds digging into the sharing settings.

Windows and Mac can share files between each other??

This would be amazing for my workflow.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

VLC has become the thing that everyone uses because it’s what they’ve always used and it’s on every platform. There was probably a time when it was ahead of the competition but that time has long passed. IINA is much better on macOS, and there are better options for windows users as well.

What are the better Windows options? I’ll give IINA a try on Mac.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Back when I had a pc I found I preferred the built in media player in windows 11.

Windows 11 is why I'm using my Mac more! :v: I'm stuck on 10 unless Microsoft wants to buy me a new PC that doesn't suck. Though I use VLC on Windows since I'm not sure what else is out there, honestly. Did that have playlists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I don’t think I’ve seen a new .doc file in at least fifteen years.. I thought they were all but dead

Colleges and universities still cling to .DOC files.

My university uses them primarily and you are never allowed to use anything but Word. Ever.

The college has a new partnership with Microsoft after dropping Google. With Google, we were allowed to use Gmail and Google Docs. With Microsoft, it’s Word and Outlook forever.