Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Grumbles posted:

Hello all I'm trying to see if I can use the stock mail app for the first time in my life on my macbook. I was heartened to see that when setting it up with my gmail account it's got Gmail's default priority inbox there as a folder named 'important' - which is a good step, because Gmails priority inbox is really good at filtering out everything that's not quite spam but that you'll probably never open or read - but I'd ideally just like to get notifications from that. Is there any way to do that? In the settings, I can choose to only get notifications from 'Inbox' and 'VIPs', but I can't choose a specific folder (or mute other folders/inboxes).

The notification setting also allows you to set smart mailboxes as the ones to yield notifications, so a simple (but stupid in its roundabout :ness) way is to simply create a smart mailbox that uses the rule “message is in mailbox > important” — essentially replicating the important folder as a smart mailbox. You can then set this as your notification source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I'll just insert my standard complaint/caveat that Plex is catastrophically stupid as far as properly identifying media and is really troublesome to override with proper data if you already have it. It works well enough within its very narrow and strictly controlled ecosystem where you stringently adhere to how the developer wants you to organise your music — any deviation will be punished with anything from double- or triple-work up to and including data loss.

As always, your mileage will vary, but to put it into perspective: my mileage is that the experience of trying to switch to Plex was what made me decide to go back to (at the time) iTunes as the far more stable and reliable backbone for my media. This is a sentence that shouldn't even be possible to write.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 23, 2023

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Warbird posted:

Is there any sane way to get the umpteen thousand “favorite” photos off my wife’s phone and into a NAS? As best I can tell your options are more or less “plug into computer, lol iTunes” and/or “plug into Mac, lol now it’s in a database because deranged perverts made the photo app ecosystem”.

I’m just mass throwing them into a dedicated album on the NAS via Synology’s Photo app but that’s a “dumb” option. I’d be curious to hear if there are better options.

It's in very close territory, so whether it's smarter or not is up for debate, but an immediate alternative would be to mass export via the Synology Drive app. It requires a bit of setup, but also gives you a handy semi-universal export option for all kinds of phone content.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to speed up how fast the emoji insertion animation takes (when using the built in OS emoji widget/keyboard thing)? It's so painfully slow.

It should be pretty much instant.

If it isn't, that sounds more like you're struck with one of those lovely heisenbugs where some background app or text processing code is trying to interpret your inputs. I've had something similar happen with other text input because of an image view in the background capturing every keystroke to figure out whether it was something it should react to; or when an auto-expander decided that some inputs had to be very thoroughly investigated to check if something needed to be expanded.

Does this always happen, even form a clean boot with absolutely nothing loaded?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

nexxai posted:

not the op but this poo poo happens to me too, 100% of the time. double-tapping the "Fn" key on my laptop results in the emoji window taking at LEAST 3 seconds to appear, even if every single app on my machine is closed.

Splinter posted:

For me it's not the opening of the keyboard, it's after selecting the emoji it does the genie animation back to my cursor and then only once the genie animation completes does the emoji pop up. It happens on both my personal M1 Mac Studio and work issued M2 MBP 16.

Oh, ok. If it's on the other end then yeah, I'm seeing it too, but not nearly as slowly as you're describing. So while it may still be some kind of processing issue in the background as well, the animation is definitely part of the problem.

The “easy” way around that — which ultimately doesn't save much time, unfortunately — is to make sure you don't have an active input cursor and only then press Fn to make the window pop up. This way, you have it open until you manually close it, and it doesn't do the auto-close, with its associated animation, every time you pick a symbol. Instead, it just immediately gets inserted wherever the cursor is active.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Getting in on the Arc train: https://arc.net/gift/a1b10bb2

I'm a bit sceptical, but a large part of that stems from sitting on a ridiculously tweaked and modded and customised Firefox install, and some of the behaviours run counter to what I want (in particular in regards to cookie management… but that's again due to addons for Firefox that don't seem to exist for Arc yet), or are just counter-intuitive. The latter is definitely more of a learning or habit issue, though.

It looks compelling enough that I'll probably keep it around and keep track of what extensions show up, but it's a pretty steep uphill battle to completely change how you use something as ingrained as your day-to-day, hour-to-hour browser.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Oh sure. Firefox is and will always remain the hoggiest of hogs, especially with all the extensions and extra scripts and junk you often want to throw on it (because that's one of the reasons to run it to begin with). But then, I'm also on team “I don't care about RAM unless I'm doing production work where the creativity app needs every last bit”, and in those cases, *no* browser would be running anyway. So meh.

But yes, it looks like Arc is pretty svelte in that department — possibly as a direct consequence of how it actually deals with tabs and “spaces” in general.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Small White Dragon posted:

Kind of a funky question, but for anyone who ever buys/plays games on their Mac, where do you usually buy them? The App Store? Steam? somewhere else?

Almost exclusively GoG, but that's a direct consequence of my Mac gaming consisting almost exclusively of classic games (or remakes of classics, like OpenTTD) where I can just extract the GoG install package contents and shove them right into my Boxer or ScummVM libraries.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It would also be neat if Network Locations were given a bit more prominence (and a bit more work put into them) to make it easier to manage which networks were joined where. There are some old stuff you can still do, but with things like location services gaining ever more prominence by the day, it just feels like the kind of thing they'd lean into and make easy to use.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

Time machine questions!!!

Using time machine over network on a nas: I know it's possible, but is it a good idea?
Most of the time when i'm using time machine, it's to recover a file that i accidentally deleted, not to restore an entire install. On a direct attached time machine drive, i can just navigate to the latest folder and it's got all my files in the same folder structure (eg /home/username/Desktop/filename.xlsx or something)

Is that still even a thing if I use time machine via network?

It's no better or worse idea than using a regular attached drive for it. As long as you remember that TM is unreliable and will happily fail at the drop of a hat without any kind of notification, requiring you to rebuild the whole thing from scratch when you notice it's not working any more, and that it's definitely not a backup solution, you'll be fine. If it's just for file versioning and “didn't mean to delete that” action, that's not really an issue — you may lose a single file or version here and there, but no total data loss.

It's also worth noting that the biggest problem with TM's unreliability is how unreliable it is. Some are able to run it for years without a single issue; some see it fail within a matter of weeks of months, repeatedly; some see it fail, but then work fine for ages until it suddenly fails again. As such, you are not likely to find a solution to this problem — it's too random to track down — or to find anyone really bothering because “works fine here”.

I understand the temptation of having it so closely integrated into the OS, but really, it's not a very good system. The function you're asking for where you can navigate its structure transparently is just a matter of how it mounts the sparse bundle rather than the actual TM media, and you won't really have that if you put the whole thing on a NAS. But if you have a NAS, chances are that it will have an infinitely more reliable backup solution as well that also includes versioning and which does just what you're asking for. But that comes down to the make and model of the NAS and its operation. I know that Synology does that and is rock solid — it's just a bit ugly, which of course offends in the middle of the Apple neatness. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Head Bee Guy posted:

Super basic question: where is considered a “best practices” location to store small tools/software? I’ve just been using a folder in my home directory for little python apps and whatnot

The canonical answers are ~/Applications and /usr/local/bin, depending on the type and how user-specific they're meant to be. But really, the OS itself doesn't particularly care outside of how some paths are in your $PATH environment variable if you're running stuff from the terminal. And the aforementioned ~/Developer is a standard-esque location to have all kind of coding experiments live in, but even then it's pretty dependent on which tools you use.

Stick them wherever, just as long as it makes sense to you and your workflow.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

teraflame posted:

Is there a way to completely change cmd to ctrl? I use a macropad and its a pain changing the shortcuts every time I switch from pc to mac.

System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts… > Modifier Keys, at least in the more recent macOS versions.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Did Mac games really tick up since Apple Silicon? When I search for Mac native games I just get Apple Silicon results. No intel. Was Intel Mac gaming so bad you can count the native indie titles on both hands?

Sort of. Intel made it a whole lot easier to run through stuff like parallels and fusion, or via WINEesque translation layers, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a diminishing return for the games companies to do that work themselves. If anything, those solutions offered a more reliably long-term stable solution that Apple's own interfaces.

Meanwhile, with Apple silicon, it is often a case of “oh we already have that for iOS… I suppose we should add mouse support or something?” and again a lot of the work is already done except this time it's inside the existing publisher/developer pipeline.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Don't know about “better” or “cleaner”, but lossless cut certainly qualifies as “easier”, possibly with a side of subler to deal with adding a separate audio track on top.

…but honestly, if you've gotten that far in understanding ffmpeg, it's such primal and core tool that everything else mostly ends up being a UI layer to do something you can do faster by typing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

If it's something that needs to just tick in the background, I've found Synology's built-in download station app to be… boring but sufficient. It won't blow the roof of even a modest building, and yeah, if you want to set up something more complex, then a proper desktop client will obviously be a better choice, but it's definitely an option.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hey, it's me — still using Quicksilver :haw:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mandatory opposite viewpoint: Time Machine is unreliable trash, at best and at most used for file versioning — definitely not any kind of backup.

If it just broke, that would be one thing. But it is unreliable in the sense that it will break at the drop of a hat and make no noise about it until [random] months later when it complains that you haven't backed up in a while. Hopefully, nothing has broken or been accidentally deleted in that silent timeframe.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Time to dig up the source code for The Guild of Thieves (1987) text parser and hook it in. Or maybe SHRDLU (1968) :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

VG posted:

One of the apps I use all the time is called Xee3 (but the three is the little cubed symbol) and it is an imaging program with a feature I cannot seem to find in any alternative whatsoever - folder organisation. Xee allows me to set up to ten seperate directories and then assign a copy shortcut and a move shortcut for each directory.

[…]

I have been doing my best to find an image program that has this simple and powerful folder management option but no luck. Has anyone here used anything similar? Should I be looking for a different program altogether and not image viewing software?

I dearly miss Xee as well, and my experience so far is that you'll probably want to look at a different category altogether. I had hard enough a time to replace Xee just as an image viewer. I ended up with XnViewMP because it had a reasonably competent multi-level folder-diving capability for slide shows and batch conversions, and while it has some sorting capabilities, it's all automated and based on existing tags or meta-data. It's nowhere near as interactive and on-the-fly as Xee would allow.

For what you're speaking of, it sounds like you need an equally capable general file manager, but it also needs to support image previews to some useful degree, and then you can use some other tool for the browsing and other baseline manipulation.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BUUNNI posted:

I'm trying to install graphviz and according to them I should be able to just do a terminal command,

code:
sudo port install graphviz
But when the terminal asks me for my pw I can't input anything using my keyboard, only the return key seems to work, and since there is no pw, it asks me for it again and again... Any ideas what could be happening?

It is as it should be — sudo doesn't echo back or indicate your password input in any way. Just type it in and press enter, and it should go off do its thing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zenostein posted:

Graphic Converter. Lets you set 20 directories (⌘1–0; ^⌘1–0), and you can set individual shortcuts to either move/copy/alias. Backspace'll move your selection to the trash.

The setting is in the "Folders" section of the preferences window, which is far better than where I had actually initially found it, buried in the context menu when selecting an image from the browser.

They have had AS builds for ages, so I assume it works just as well there as it always has.

As the other “I miss Xee” guy, let me just say omg yes. This covers pretty much everything, and does it better. :magical:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

kiwid posted:

Ya so I removed my first item, reboot, error went away. Re-added the item just to be sure and still no error. What the gently caress.

Could have been a case of, it had its set of plists to define all the items, but one of them was a dud or half-broken from not having been uninstalled properly, and thus wouldn't show up in the list but would still be picked up and “done” during start-up. By going into the list and fiddling with it, the OS went to update/add/remove the actual files behind it and only then removed the junk item.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Most likely the user has swapped between having iTunes organise their library and not a couple of times.

Nah, it's just the inevitable consequence of four layers of file organising logic.

~/Music is where you are supposed to store your music stuff, like all your documents go into ~/Documents
./Music is where the files managed by the Music app goes, like how your Photos files goes into ./Photos Library.photoslibrary
./Media is where the actual media managed by the Music app goes, to separate it from artwork, backups and the like.
./Music is where the music media is stuffed, to separate it from other types of media that the Music app might handle.

…and below that, it's just artist and album separation, of course.

Sure, some of it is just a remnant from the iTunes days, where music media needed to be separate from other audio, such as tones, audiobooks, podcasts etc., but Music.app still uses the same logic even when the need for it is largely gone, be it for reasons of backwards- or forwards compatibility. In fact, it's almost a bit of an issue that the separated apps that now deal with those other media don't follow the structure, and instead insist on having their own storage spots that can't be managed by the user as easily.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Finally bit the bullet and updated to Sonoma since, in spite of early rumblings about issues with some core apps, most of them seemed to have been updated to work.

But oh dear… just when you thought it was safe to get back into the water. Tons of apps that fail to redraw their windows or specific elements properly; apps that lose their colouring the instant they lose focus after launch; apps being completely befuddled by the screen coordinate system and not knowing where their windows are (with the window snapping to a completely new position when moved, and with attached sub-windows and similar elements showing up completely detached from their main window); random slowdowns on draws for things that should be utterly trivial (and which still don't take a massive amount of cpu or any other resource).

Some light googling seems to suggest that Apple did s bunch of updating to the window drawing system and that a whole slew of odd behaviours can be traced back to this. None of it is mission-critical for me — maybe aside from not knowing the remaining mine count in minesweeper — but it gets… annoying. So I thought I'd ask the thread if this is a know thing, if the internet is right about the underlying cause, and/or if it's just one of those “wait it out and eventually apps will probably be updated” things, so I don't have to start finding unique solutions for every problem.

:eng99:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hasturtium posted:

The only thing I’ve run into is a dumb bug where Command+Tab stopped working outright and wouldn’t start again until I’d rebooted. Also that weird thing where performance of my xscreensaver modules slowed to a crawl after the Sonoma upgrade, forcing jwz to issue an update to work around the new behavior - apparently tied to something involving the OS’s new screensavers. I still like it better than Windows!

A couple of reboots have indeed gotten rid of some of the issues… which somehow makes it worse! Why should that help? And in stages?!

Gah! But at least one of those things is that my screensavers are now also up to speed so it looks pretty when it's not doing anything. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

In today's episode of Sonoma Adventures™…

…it's starting to look like my issues are vaguely related to the semi-intermittent sleep-adjacent horribleness nexxai posted about a while back, where it would misbehave and require reboots to fix itself. And then, after the latest release, it happened on a delayed schedule instead.

nexxai posted:

Goddammit, it turns out that it just does it the first time after closing the lid instead now.

GET UR poo poo TOGETHER APPLE :blastu:

I haven't been able to pin down the exact trigger, but it certainly feels like any time my MBP goes to sleep, the OS fucks up and no longer draws stuff properly. For bonus funtime, it even applies specifically for some websites, even if the browser itself generally works — most likely, it's related to whether they use any special drawing functions (e.g. Google Earth). It's as if some component of the graphics system can't survive being put to sleep.

It's always nice when my second-to-latest version Mac requires more regular reboots than a late-'90s windows PC.

So tempted to go through the massive faff of rolling back to 13.whatever 😩

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Always restart from the system restore partition.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Huh…

It is starting to look like my Sonoma woes are largely solved.
The solution? Don't use the “Fireflies” screen saver — it seems like every time it ran, something in the graphics system didn't get cleaned up properly. Don't know if it was a full on memory leak or what, but over accumulated sleep periods, all those rendering issues started to stack up until a log out at the very least.

With a different saver now set, the issues haven't reappeared in quite a while. Could it be that simple — that an old relic like that simply wasn't updated properly to whatever new APIs and features were put in the OS, and thus increasingly gummed up the works until it was forced to unload completely?
:magical:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

You can do a lot of fun things with that thin line that aren't advertised anywhere.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

Is there anyone ever who's actually wanted to paste with formatting? It really confuses me why it's the default. Only exception I've actually liked is MS edge turning bare URLs into links with the text being the title of the page

I don't know about with formatting, but some programs (like word :arghfist:) love to interpret “without formatting” as only giving the base text, not including other content such as footnotes. So you get the lovely choice between, paste with the (wrong) source formatting, paste with the (supposedly, but invariably wrong) matching local formatting, or paste without actually pasting everything. Yay.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

My dad has been using mail.app on his new Mac and he doesn’t like the way that when you attach a document to an email it shows a great big preview of the document instead of just an icon. Can this behaviour be changed?

Only for new emails you write yourself. Anything incoming is still subject to Apple's whims, and as bonus funtimes, there are semi-approved and semi-hidden ways of making attachment show as icons that make them not show at all on the receiving end. So yay.

For the new-mail preview, you can use
code:
defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Right, it probably requires full disk access permissions these days. :cripes:

So yeah, you will see mail the Apple-approved way and you will like it!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dans Macabre posted:

Hi macOS appreciators,
I want to do a thing where whenever I save a file in a specific folder, all the spaces are removed from that folder and replaced with underscores.

I would run this command
code:
for f in *\ *; do mv "$f" "${f// /_}"; done
Is there a way to do this with Shortcuts or Automator or something The Apple Way (instead of using inotify)

The most Apple-approved way is probably a folder action in Automator.

New > Folder action.
Pick the folder you want it to act on.
Add a “Rename Finder Items” action.
Set it to “Replace Text”, with a space in the Find field and an underscore in the Replace field.
Save and name it, and you're set.

Unless you specify otherwise (or move it), it will end up in ~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions, and if you want it gone, you simply delete it from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Pff. ⌥⌥ is the best launch shortcut.
I just wish other apps than Quicksilver supported it.