Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Nope. That was just such a silly option anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

FCKGW posted:

Holy poo poo this owns. If you replace the drive on your new MBA or Mac Mini, you just boot up to Internet Recovery mode, connect to wifi, authenticate your App Store ID and it re-installs Lion for you over the internet.

This is the future man.

The tech has been around forever, I was network booting and remote deploying OS9 in like 2000. The rest of the world infrastructure just hasn't caught up until now.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

carry on then posted:

Aww, the new version of Safari got changed the behavior of the back button. It used to do something (always rerun scripts?) that meant unread post counts were accurate when backing into thread lists. Now, it shows the old count like Firefox does, meaning to get the updated counts, I have to hit refresh. The new features are nice otherwise, but that one feature made browsing the forums even nicer. Is there a reason for the new behavior?

Webkit 2 aggressive caching. Chrome has the same problem.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Mac OSX 10.7 Lion Edition: Chrome's UI is loving busted, use Safari edition

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

Carbn posted:

I spent a good hour or so having a play after work. I'm mostly very "meh" on the experience. Major gripes:

Gratuitous animations. Oh. My. loving. God. I don't want them. I don't mind them being there, but please, I don't want a window zooming around every time I write a new email or hit reply. Everything feels somehow slower as a result of them. Hopefully an update will allow these to be disabled.

Sweet crap the entire animation takes about 250ms, faster than Win7's fade in. That's Siracusa spergin' right there.

quote:

Mission Control. Can I just have expose+spaces back?
No because expose doesn't work with full screen app, and the way that Mission Control groups windows now actually makes sense..

quote:

Gestures. Why am I being forced to relearn new gestures for things?
You get used to it in about a day. The reason is there was too much overlap.

quote:

Waking from sleep. Why do I have to click the trackpad now? I liked just moving the mouse around.

Because it was overly sensitive. Cat jumping on a desk or a light breeze can cause things to wake up. Also the ambiguous case of having a mouse plugged in and moving it around could cause it to wake up while closed and then opening the lid left the laptop screen blank, so Apple just made it so you actually have to click. It was like this way back in 10.2 or 10.3.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

wolffenstein posted:

Nothing. Ask Google to implement it.

Considering it took 13 months to change one line to make it so that Chrome doesn't wig the gently caress out while pinching, this is going to take until 10.8. How about that rapid release cycle?

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

Anal Volcano posted:

I tried using Safari, but drat, no new tab button?

All the way on the right. +

Also the omnibar is pretty busted. I don't know how many times I've been infuriated to google search something in the bar, go to the result, click back and it takes me to a blank window without being able to get back to the results. Still busted in canary. I dunno WTF the Chrome devs are even doing at this point with all the version releases.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Speaking of Launchpad, what is the point of it if you can't startup with it? I always thought it would replace the desktop. How is it like iOS if you have to manually launch it first?

It is one gesture/keystroke away at all times. Now I just hope that I have the option of getting rid of the goddamn dock forever in 10.8 Felis Catus

Launchpad also highlights how loving awful some vendors are with how much poo poo they leave everywhere. The usual culprits, Adobe and Microsoft.

quote:

Can I not rename folders?

Click on the name of it while it is expanded.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

duck monster posted:

Thats what happened when I tried to launch eclipse. Once it finished it launched Flash builder :downs:

I think I worked it out. Seems SOMEHOW some wierd thing called eclipse with an eclipse icon is in flash builder, except instead it launches flash builder (Or alternatively it is flash builder and its somehow decided that its called eclipse, gently caress knows I never use the drat thing.) so I've renamed it to "poo poo ECLIPSE" and now the searchy thing at the top pulls up the right one.

Anyway, is there a way to turn down the size of the fonts/icons in the sidebar in mail and finder? What used to fit neatly in the top of the sidebar now is bigger than the screen. I'm not sure this OS is well optimized for a 13" macbook.

Eclipse is an IDE written in Java, Adobe has co-opted it for AIR and Flash app development. It is, however, poo poo.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

vlack posted:

Have we talked about Automatic Termination yet? I don't really see the point of letting the system kill my apps when it could just swap them to disk.

I hit this today in an admittedly minor incident with Xcode. I had told it to go grab all its documentation sets. This is several hundred megabytes, maybe several gigabytes, and I went to do other stuff and forgot about it. Later when I switched back to it, the Xcode process had apparently been selected for automatic termination as its windows were dimmed and there was a spinner in the middle of them which took several seconds to finish spinning and let me use Xcode again. When it did, it again asked for my password to install the Xcode docs... apparently it had been killed at some point in the download process and needed to resume.

Which obviously isn't the worst thing in the world, but what's the benefit? Mac OS X has always had virtual memory, why bother reinventing the same functionality?

Because page faults are the absolute worst case thing you can do. Apple did a shitton of work for iOS 4 to eliminate page faults because the flash storage in the iDevices is sloooooooooow. Very noticeably slow. Carmack even wrote an article on Rage iPhone (can't seem to find it through google) where if he tried to stream from the flash memory it just wouldn't work no matter what because it was so slow.

So even the flash memory on the iDevices is really slow, a spinning disc is going to be an order of magnitude slower at least. In the end, the benefit is NOT using virtual memory because it's the most terrible thing you can do. If the OS is smart enough to tell an application to suspend itself and the app can respect that, that'll free up resources and reduce the chance of page faults for something that really needs it. The decision process for figuring out if it can be safely suspended is simple: "it must not be the active application, it must have no visible, non-minimized windows". And this makes logical sense, if you have something that isn't active and hidden, then you're not using it.

It is a bit disturbing how network activity doesn't exclude it from the list, but it kind of makes sense. It should be up to the application to decide if the network activity is important enough to allow suspension or not, rather like on iOS if you receive applicationDidReceiveMemoryWarning: then it's your job to bail as much water as possible since the OS has no clue what's safe to bail and what isn't in your app. In the case of Xcode, apparently the developers figured that downloading documentation wasn't important enough to ignore the suspend signal.

Microsoft has actually done something sort of similar since way back in 95. If you minimize an application, you're more than just minimizing it. You're telling the OS that you're not using it, and Windows will attempt to reclaim CPU cycles and memory from it with priority to the active process. The biggest difference is that Windows won't ever close or suspend a process entirely, but I wouldn't put it past them to implement that in the future with all of the mobile segments they're getting into.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Google, just like everyone else, has as Developer Previews since February and they're just now getting around to thinking about fixing things. Errgh.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

Xenomorph posted:

Well, thanks to how great 10.7 has turned out, starting today we are testing CentOS 6.0.
Our Xserves are aging, with no migration strategy from Apple, and now it's clear that Mac OS X Server is dead.

Apple pulled a FCPX by ditching Samba, which is for the best really. Samba never really worked right approximately ever, so now Apple is rolling their own. Like FCPX they likely have a long term strategy, but there's going to be a lot of pain getting them up to 100% feature coverage, but in the end it will probably work a hell of a lot better than Samba could ever hope to do.

If you can't hang on to 10.6 until Apple gets their poo poo straight, probably at 10.8, you could get 1U servers from Dell or some such and throw Ubuntu on them. Ubuntu has a fairly decent admin GUI and does SMB and NFS well.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

SimpleCoax posted:

Well, I just found out that Lion and Xcode 4.1 completely remove MPI. Hope macports will get me OpenMPI back easily enough. I'm getting really concerned about Apple's idea for the future of its professional user base. Not just with this little MPI removal, but the other signs that they're shifting focus. I don't want to have to wind up stuck with just Linux down the road.

Homebrew has open-mpi. Stop using MacPorts and/or Fink, they are loving awful.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

Martytoof posted:

Why?

Or more specifically, how are they awful?

They are literal ports of Gentoo Ports or the dpkg system and all the poo poo that comes with it. As stated they require their own compiled versions of apps, so installing one installs a huge chain that isn't necessary. Also the dpkg system is just loving awful. Resolving a chain of dependencies is generally nightmare both installing and uninstalling. More often than not when I'm helping someone with some bizarre OSS issue I ask 'do you have MacPorts/Fink' and the answer is usually 'yes'. Removing MacPorts/Fink and using the Homebrew version always does the trick.

As stated Homebrew is built specifically for OSX. That means it uses the /usr/local structure that was designated for this sort of thing. Homebrew will never compete with OSX provided anything and will link against OSX provided libraries instead of having a huge chain of cross compiling that sends things into dependency hell like Ports.

Finally it's just a whole lot simpler. People generally migrate from Windows or Linux to OSX simply because the OS structure and UI is a lot cleaner. Homebrew follows that idea and is a whole lot simpler and less error prone.

tl;dr Use Homebrew, don't think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

unruly posted:

Just a caveat. There are some duplicates in Homebrew that compete with various system-provided items, but they have a policy against doing that if at all possible. There is actually even a Homebrew-alt repo basically full of system tools that have been updated, in case you need them (like rsync, or samba).

This is true, and sometimes necessary because the Apple provided library can potentially be buggy or very out of date, but it's a very rare case.