Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Oof, hyped about Lion's release tomorrow but I'm going to hold off til the weekend and do a clean install. It wouldn't feel right to have a shiny new OS without wiping everything else clean. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

syphon posted:

Since Lion is only sold online... what happens when I sell my Laptop with Lion installed on it? Does the buyer get Lion, or does it stick with the person who bought it? (me)

I imagine it'd be the same as if you sold your Mac and didn't include the OS restore disc. You own the license, but the OS stays installed on their computer.

Also, I can't confirm this since I'm not a developer, but I think Lion reserves a restore partition on the hard drive when it's installed, that way you can restore without an actual disc.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
LIon's up!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
How does upgrading on top of Snow Leopard handle your old Time Machine backups?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

carry on then posted:

I think it works fine. I didn't have to start over again after upgrading, but I did try to be crafty and pull the "Install Lion" app out of my backup and got a "data could not be read or written" error.

That's cool. The more I think about it the more I don't want to deal with wiping and reinstalling everything, especially since I'm not sure if I've used up my licenses for Office 2008.

Also, for anyone still on Snow Leopard, Safari 5.1 and iTunes 10.4 are out.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Mo0 posted:

Does iTunes 10.4 mess with the UI the way it did on Lion, or is it just behind-the-scenes updates back in SL land?

10.4 goes back to the horizontal red/yellow/green button configuration, otherwise from what I can tell it still looks the same.

Also still 32-bit. 64-bit cocoa is apparently Lion-only.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Actually now that I've looked more closely, the iTunes 10.4 UI in Snow Leopard is much more tweaked beyond just rearranging the close/minimize/maximize buttons. It's pretty subtle but a bit more pleasing, I think. Too bad there apparently isn't much in the way of under-the-hood tweaks, but that's alright.

e: scrolling through the library seems smoother than I remember, but that could just be me.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Another upgrade question: one of the reviews I read (not sure which, think it was Anand's) mentioned that Lion doesn't include many of the older OS X wallpapers in its install package. If you're upgrading from Snow Leopard, does it keep the old wallpapers or erase them? I still like going back to the old blue ones for nostalgia's sake now and then.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Oh god, one new feature in Safari 5.1 that I love: when opening a link in a new tab, the new tab opens directly adjacent to the originating tab, instead of being placed all the way at the end. E.g., if I have five tabs open, browsing SA in the leftmost tab, any links I open will now be in the second tab position just to the right of the SA tab, instead of all the way at the right of the fifth open tab. It's a little thing but it makes browsing the forums much more manageable.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

grahm posted:

Are you guys using this inverted scrolling wackiness? It's not intuitive for me, but if this is what the future is like, I'd rather learn it now than later.

I'm planning on sticking with it. It'll be hell whenever I have to use a windows machine at work, but when you're switching between Mac OS and iOS devices throughout the day it makes a lot of sense to have the same scrolling paradigm.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Accipiter posted:

I can't stand it, and I shut it off immediately.

Like I said earlier, for direct manipulation it's appropriate. But via a mouse or touchpad it's analogous to turning your head. You scroll down when you want to look down, and scroll up when you want to look up.

I'd argue on touch-input devices it makes perfect sense, but on traditional mice scrollwheels it's a terrible idea. Just me though.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Has anyone tried using Lion with Connect360 yet? Anything broken in the upgrade?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Except Front Row but gently caress that.

What happens when you point an Apple remote at a Mac now?

Also, gently caress clean installing after all, I think I'm going to go ahead and download this baby tonight. This is exciting - despite using a Mac for nearly 5 years I've never been on a ground floor 10.x.0 update. :v:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

DirtyWorker posted:

One cool thing about the new safari (don't know if someone has posted it before), but, reading forums like this one in full screen on a 27" iMac is kinda taxing.

Turn this:

Into this by dragging the left or right side of the Safari window in towards the middle of the screen. :P

Do you always maximize the web browser window? Even on my 21.5" iMac that sounds ridiculous and unnecessary.

Cool feature though. :shobon:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

DirtyWorker posted:

Love having it fullscreen. It's only a three-finger swipe away. :P Which is also a really good reason why using anything other then Lion after this will bring tears to my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I like fullscreen apps even on iMac screens (iPhoto comes to mind), it's just that so few websites are formatted to make use of all that screen real estate that running Safari in fullscreen on a desktop wouldn't seem to have any tangible benefit. Just my personal preference.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Just got Lion up and running a little while ago. Really enjoying the changes so far, and none of my favorite apps are broken (yet).

Also, my god, the magic mouse has improved dramatically with Lion. Gestures seem more responsive and also make more sense (e.g., two fingers left/right to swap spaces, versus one finger left/right to move forward/back), and right-clicking is mind-blowingly better now that they actually let you use the entire right side of the mouse instead of the uppermost corner. I'll pick up a trackpad eventually, but it'll be easier to forego for the time being.

e: and smart-zooming owns more than I thought it would.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 22, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

FCKGW posted:

EDIT 2: I guess I misread your question, I have no idea if there's a way to downgrade OSX Server.

Not sure if the installer checks hardware config first, but I'd guess it'd be possible to wipe the drive on the Mini then do a clean install of Lion, and then download the server version from the App Store if he wants. Bit of a pain in the rear end, but it might work.

e: and obviously back up the Mini before formatting. :v:

Also, is it just me, or can the mouse no longer be used to wake the display? Not talking about full sleep, just the screen being turned off.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Kobayashi posted:

Also is swiping to go back broken in Finder now?

It doesn't seem to work anymore. You can swipe to change spaces at any time, but 'back' functionality only seems to apply to Safari.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Footboy posted:

One of the big reasons I upgraded to Lion was the enhanced trackpad support, but I'm not seeing any of it.

:confused:

I'm going to go ahead and guess you're on an old Macbook with plastic trackpad (the kind with a big button at the bottom).

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Footboy posted:

It supports two-finger scrolling. It used to support pinch-zooming, but now it just wants to right-click whenever I try.

Yeah, those trackpads max out at two-finger gestures only, and I think just scrolling (they could pinch-zoom, but it was terrible in my experience).

Lion's advanced gestures are only on the new glass trackpads. You can get a Magic Trackpad, or alternately get a new Macbook. :v:

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 22, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
The new Macbook Airs have a dedicated Launchpad key in place of the old Dashboard key. Is there any way to re-map the Dashboard key to Launchpad on the (slightly) older bluetooth keyboards? I'm using a Magic Mouse so I only have a gesture to activate Mission Control, but I'd like some sort of easy access to Launchpad as well rather than having to move the mouse cursor and click the icon (which defeats the idea of a quick application launcher).

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bush Muncher posted:

Saw this story on TUAW earlier today offering a work around (free app + quicksilver remapping keys).

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/22/make-your-pre-lion-keyboard-work-with-launchpad/

Awesome, I'll give this a try later. Thanks.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Haggins posted:

Speaking of magic trackpads, does anyone dislike them? I mostly use my MBP docked to external kb/monitor/mouse and I find I kinda miss using the built in trackpad.

I don't own one myself, but I've used them a couple times and in general they own especially now that Lion's gesture support is out. It's a bigger touch surface than the Macbook trackpads, so it's nice for desktop use (and also slanted so I think it's a bit more comfortable to use).

If you're near a fruit stand, they usually have a couple out for demos.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Okay, so in case anyone like me also wanted to re-map their Dashboard key to be the Launchpad key (like on the new MBAs), FunctionFlip is all you need. The TUAW post I was linked to earlier mentioned also using Quicksilver, but that's unnecessary. Just install FunctionFlip, check the box beside F4/Dock, then go into keyboard preferences and you can map Launchpad to the newly-flipped F4 key.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So I know inverted scrolling has gotten a mixed reception, but as far as iOS style features go, how many people have opted to disable indicator lights for active applications? I've thought about it, but I feel like I'd at least need 8 GB of RAM to safely give no fucks like that.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

withak posted:

Supposedly along with that option, other iOS-like stuff will happen that will kick unnecessary stuff out of memory if required.

Yeah, I read that in Siracusa's review on Ars. The only downside is applications have to be coded to take advantage of that functionality (as I understood it).

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Petey posted:

Well I found that but I thought - incorrectly it seems - that on older OSs you could see those by default.

I think 10.4 was the last one that displayed them by default.

~Coxy posted:

Same as it always was dude.

How did you get your dock to look like that, some sort of third-party add-on?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
As a counterpoint, Safari full-screen with smart zoom enabled is pretty sweet. It's like a giant iPhone! :v:

Kind of silly on my iMac, but I'd use the hell out of that on a Macbook.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
e: ^^ :argh:

Pages was just updated as well to take advantage of Lion's features. I'm guessing a fullscreen mode is in there somewhere.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
What usually works for me is just to highlight all of an album's tracks, select 'get info', then manually re-type all the ID3 info. After saving it'll usually force iTunes to regroup them. Not very efficient if it's a widespread problem, but if it's just Adele you're regrouping then it's not so bad. :shobon:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not like Lion really adds much for desktop users.

Huh? The only Lion feature that really screams 'laptop' is the fullscreen apps thing, and even that can be nice on the desktop in certain scenarios. Not saying your usage patterns are identical to mine, but I'm loving Lion on my iMac so far.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Mu Zeta posted:

I was thinking all the gestures, spaces with full screen apps, launchpad, and some other small things like natural scrolling are kind of useless for me. I use a mouse and keyboard and my display is big enough that I never need to use spaces and full screen apps look dumb on 2560 x 1440. I'm going to install Lion eventually. I'm just going to play around with it first on my MBP before I put it on the desktop.

Is there any reason to rush into Lion on my iMac? What features do you like the best? I'm assuming Apple will release a big patch like they always do with a new OS, might wait for that first to clean out the small kinks.

I wasn't saying you had to be in any rush to install Lion on your iMac, just responding to your claim that it only added much in the way of features for laptop users. I should mention that I use a magic mouse with my iMac, and Lion really improved the gesture experience on that device for me. Besides that, I prefer Mission Control to Expose/Spaces of before, Launchpad has really grown on me (at least once I mapped it over the original Dashboard hotkey on my keyboard), and once there's better app support I'm sure I'll get plenty of use out of Versions. Plus under-the-hood stuff like FileVault and sandboxing are always nice.

And you haven't lived the true Apple experience until you disable active indicator lights under your open apps and are giving as many fucks as an iOS user. :cool:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Noticing a weird bug with waking from sleep and wifi - basically when I wake the computer from sleep, after a couple seconds the wifi status indicator will indicate a full-strength connection to my router, but the computer isn't able to send or receive any data (e.g., if you load a page in Safari, it gives the 'not connected to the internet' message). Oddly enough, when you open the wifi menu, it only shows my SSID and none of the other surrounding ones as normal. Turning wifi off and then back on clears up the issue.

I'm just curious if it's wide-ranging or tied to my individual hardware. I'm running an iMac 11,2 (21.5", mid-2010) and using an AEBS. Never had this issue with any version of Snow Leopard. Has anyone else had this issue?

Reporting it to Apple in any case.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

I realize this is somewhat :spergin: but does anyone have a good SSD icon before I make one? The fact that Lion still ships with the default "Macintosh HD" and ancient icon when probably half the machines Apple sells use SSDs is kind of silly.

Doing a GIS for 'ssd icon' turned up some pretty decent ones.

I'm kind of partial to this one.

e: typo

VVVV Yep! This might push me to finally turn it off.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 8, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Yeah that update results in 2011 Airs and Minis still having a unique build.

I'd guess it was just quick & dirty to patch bugs, while 10.7.2 will bring them all together. Still kind of weird, though.

Now if I could just get iOS 4.3 on my CDMA iPhone...

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Okay, here's a bit of an oddball problem I'm coming to suspect almost no one else has encountered (based on googling) - on my 2010 iMac, I have FunctionFlip installed to switch my dashboard key to a launchpad key. Works great, unintrusive, etc. Then, today, I open up my new 2011 Macbook Air, and use migration assistant to pull my user settings over, thinking this would be a seamless transition. Well, it was, except for the FunctionFlip part.

FunctionFlip has now completely broken my launchpad key. It does nothing. Resetting defaults does nothing. I've tried erasing, reinstalling, and re-erasing FunctionFlip to no avail, the key remains useless. Holding Fn+F4 still works, but the default mapping for the key has been completely superseded.

Is there any way to remap this key, short of wiping the slate and starting over (and likely manually migrating my settings)? In theory I could just reinstall FunctionFlip, but this is one of those little things that will drive me crazy if I don't figure out how to fix it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Huh, apparently it has nothing to do with FunctionFlip and everything to do with user migration. Worked like a charm, thanks!

edit: What I'm trying to say is that I'm better at :google: than you.

To be honest, while posting I found myself thinking "I wonder if SWSP will have a snarky solution to this" :v:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Looks like 10.6.8 might not be the end for Snow Leopard.

The update will presumably bring some level of iCloud support to Snow Leopard, though likely not full support for the service, based on their statement of 'some features' requiring Lion.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Anytime that typo correction blurb pops up, especially on my MBA, I have to really resist the urge to reach up to the screen and touch it to dismiss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

El Jackalope posted:

Somehow I've killed the dashboard on my MBA (I think in Mission Control I clicked the X to close it's window) and now I cannot get it back. I can click on the app but it does nothing. There are a few stickies in there that I really would like to get the info off of. How can I relaunch the Dashboard?

Does it persist after rebooting? Or does that erase the info on the stickies?

Anyway, I'd check Keyboard under System Preferences, you can set a manual keyboard shortcut for the dashboard. Alternately, check Mission Control (again under System Preferences), and see if the box for 'make dashboard its own space' is checked.