Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

K someone brought me their macbook. Mountain lion 10.8.5 on it. Trying to get it updated but it fails with "unexpected error" after I agree to restart. There seems to be a fair bit of junk on it. When I manually try to go to the app store and download Sierra it asks for the account password which they dont even know. Trying to reset it just yields an endless loading loop after I click continue on the forgot password email entry. Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I tried that but it just hanged when I tried to continue. However, snooping into startup and there were about 100 instances of this poo poo called Genieo so I'm trying to remove that now, after quitting it I was able to continue with the password reset but their mail hasn't synced since May :D
Also after expanding the updates that were queued I was able to install them individually, or some of them anyway.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Got this piece of poo poo Macbook Air here, the owner had filled it up with junk, didn't even remember the password so I couldn't do the upgrade to sierra, they are still back on yosemite. So I went into recovery and erased the drive and set out to reinstall the OS, and I'm stuck. Was telling me password had been entered incorrectly and had to be reset, that was bullshit because I was able to login to the website fine with their info (that was the other big hooah, they had previously had one appleid for the whole family and now they all have their own and wanted this particular one put on this laptop). Now its just saying "this item is temporarily unavailable" when I enter the credentials which I've verified correct. I saw a fix online that said go to "get help online" and login to icloud, done that, still the same. I'm guessing theres probably no way I can create Sierra USB media from Windows and do it via USB? Anything else I can try?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a mac mini here thats running 10.8.5. We use it to bootcamp into Windows to run a proprietary software. Dont know why they didn't just get small form factor PCs. Anyway, I want to update the thing to high sierra, but cant. I made an apple ID, tells me it hasn't been used with the app store and to review my info. I added a billing address and selected no payment info, still wont advance. Then it tells me I need to update macos to change the info! Yay apple! So I'm stuck in eternal limbo. gently caress it, I'll just try and update the Windows install. Get a hard disk failing message. So I figure this is my chance to clean install high sierra. But it looks like the only way to do that is to download it from the store first, which I cant do? I also had planned to wipe the bootcamp install and do W10 but when I put the ISO in there it tells me it only accepts W7 or above. So I was also hoping that updating the OS would make it recognize the newer ISO or is that impossible too?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Probably better for the networking thread idk, but at work we have a couple of users doing multimedia stuff so they have macs. One died, we got a new iMac pro in for her. Having a devil of a time trying to connect it to our domain. I've read a couple of guides that seem pretty straight forward, go into users&accounts, join, enter the info. Keeps failing saying the current credentials don't have sufficient privileges. I'm not sure if thats coming from the local side or the network side. I know my own admin account I enter into the AD fields should be fine, and its the local admin account I'm using so neither of these things add up for me. It wouldn't work out of box and I updated it to mojave, same thing. Any thoughts here?