Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas
I'm getting a bit aggravated trying to figure out why a practically-new mid-2011 13" Air only gets ~5 hours of battery life during very light web browsing. All suggestions appreciated!

Firefox purportedly uses 5-10% CPU at all times while other browsers sit at <1% with the same number of tabs open. Is that considered a negligible amount or would it be worthwhile to give up Firefox for Safari or Chrome?

Also, what's up with the Dock using half a gig of memory? Is the Dock process really just the Dock does it serve other OS features as well? Should I even be concerned?

I'm new to Mac, so I apologize if this sort of thing has already been discussed to death.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

flyboi posted:

Try ditching Firefox and using only Chrome or Safari for a bit and see if it helps. Firefox is a turd in OSX, or at least it was before I forced myself to get used to Chrome 2 years ago.
Good to know. I never seriously considered Chrome back when it didn't have extensions but apparently it does now! I'll give it a try.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

What brightness setting do you have it on? At least in my experience, the screen brightness is the biggest factor affecting battery life.
Thanks, I'll turn it down and see if it makes a difference. I probably should have thought of that myself! My last laptop was a Dell with a lovely matte screen and I suppose I may have been over-indulging a bit on screen brightness since I switched.

I believe the number of icons on my dock is reasonable. I do have a fair number of widgets on the Dashboard but it appears to have a separate process. Besides, they are mostly Stickies and I should hope those don't use too much memory.

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

Oh wow, that's really neat! Thanks!

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

flyboi posted:

I have uhhhh..... 25 windows open currently encompassing 12 applications and I am only using 53MB in my dock according to activity monitor. Oh and 5 widgets on the dashboard.

However, I do not use Mission Control. So unless he beats that I gotta :raise:

The thing that I find interesting is that dock uses more than kernel_task which has always been #1 on my system.

Found the culprit: desktop backgrounds! :doh:

It seems Dock and System Preferences (!) may have a memory leak issue when the background is set on a rotation of very large images. The Dock is down to a sane 20 MB after switching to a solid color and relaunching the process.

:downsbravo:

thatdog fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 20, 2012

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

How well does the Migration Assistant work? I'm considering a Mini for the home and it would save me a whole lot of time if I could blast my applications, photos, and settings directly over from my MBA. Does Migration Assistant make that sort of thing easy or is it a still a huge hassle like certain similar tools under Windows?

We are stuck with 512k ADSL for the next few months so re-downloading everything from the App Store would be less than ideal. :(