Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Petey posted:

Well, I read the way Lion works is by partitioning your disk on the fly. I figured that would have to be while it was off but I figured it was worth asking. Going to walk downstairs and get a blank DVD now :)

e: crap, forgot the optical drive on my machine has been freaking out and not recognizing DVDs. I can probably find a thumb drive - but has that been confirmed that you can just pop the DMG on a thumb drive and it works? For that matter, could I just put the DMG on an external USB HD and boot from there? Or are these thumb drives apple is shipping some kind of special deal?

e2: found directions! http://www.yourdailymac.net/2011/06/how-to-create-a-bootable-mac-os-x-lion-installation-usb-stick-or-external-hard-drive/

I don't know why everybody is making this so complicated? After Lion creates the recovery partition, you can boot from that and erase from Disk Utility there, and then do a clean install. You don't need to extract any DMG files or mess about with external drives at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

El Jackalope posted:

My co-worker upgraded to Lion the other day, and it froze during the upgrade. When he got it going again, all of his mail was gone. He apparently got in touch with Fruit and they put remote desktop on his late 2010 iMac and helped him recover everything off of his servers, but the past five years of emails is gone. These include important emails from good friends etc.

Luckily he has a time machine backup. My question is: how does he restore the old emails from the Time Machine, and after that, where are they located so he can back them up on a DVD?

he;lp :(
Open up Mail, then run Time Machine. You'll enter the TM interface within Mail so you can pull back those messages.

Now, TM will only show you messages up since the account was created, so if his Mail accounts were RE-created as part of the recovery you'll have to pull back the ~/Library/Mail folder and do some manual recovery, or just overwrite the current folder with the backup.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

I can't figure out some font issues I'm seeing. They happened in Snow Leopard too, and I tried an upgrade to Lion to see if that'd fix the problem but it hasn't. Basically, Helvetica is completely messed up. If you see the attached screenshot, this is the Calendars button on the top left of the iCal window on two computers. The left is the messed up one, the right looks fine. These were taken at the same resolution and the same font size. I've tried validating fonts, clearing out duplicates, and so on, with no success. The only app installed I can think of that messes with fonts is Office 2011, but I can only blame it for so much.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to avoid a full-blown reinstall.

Do you have anything in ~/Library/Fonts? If so try deleting them or just rename the Fonts folder and logout/login, that'd be my first thing to try.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

El Jackalope posted:

By the way, my co-worker says THANK YOU for this, it worked like a charm.
Yaay ^_^

pokeyman posted:

Deleted a couple fonts that I didn't recognize and restarted. Still busted. Then for shits I replaced /Library/Fonts with the contents of same from a Lion install that isn't suffering from this issue. Still no go.
That sucks. You do have font smoothing turned on, right? Otherwise, I don't know :(

JHVH-1 posted:

Kinda wish I could re-order desktops and full screen apps in launchpad by dragging. Seems like an obvious thing that should be doable but its not there.
This, and the fact that there's absolutely no indication that you can change desktop wallpapers on a per-desktop basis (including rotation settings) were my two main gripes when stress-testing Lion at IL. Neither got changed of course, but they did at least take care of the buggy POS Safari was at the time.

TACD fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 24, 2011

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

amf5 posted:

No. Try it.
Preview has an 'export' option and it works just fine for this :confused: I just did this right now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I just realised I never asked this: Is everybody getting this (presumably buggy) behaviour in the new Mail where both read and unread messages appear in bold? The blue dot still indicates which are unread but I find it very difficult to pick out unread messages at a glance now. The options for 'message list font' and 'Display unread messages with bold font' seem to do absolutely nothing.

Going back to the Classic interface fixes it but I'd rather move forward and try out all the new stuff if possible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Abel Wingnut posted:

Not sure if this is the place or not, but I applied to the Genius position and will be interviewed later today. Any advice?
Assuming the interviews are similar wherever you go, don't expect many (if any) technical questions if you've worked with Macs before (which presumably you have to have gotten this far). The first interview is usually a group interview with around 30 people applying for various positions so ideally have a couple of insightful questions about the company and stories about how you've dealt with problem customers or tricky situations prepared in your head so you can speak up and get noticed. Be outgoing, personable and eager, but for God's sake don't be a fanboy. It's kind of pathetic when people pipe up at the interview to mention they've owned every iteration of the iPhone and have three iPads.

It's far, far easier to get hired on as a Genius from outside than to move up within the company. So good luck :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Neurophonic posted:

Here we go:

quote:

By editing the application's info.plist and making LSUIElement true the application loses it's dock icon and doesn't show up in alt+tab menu anymore. You can however then open the application and use it while in full-screen with another app.
Whoa whoa hold up. This sounds like exactly what I've been after to stop Wuala showing up in my Dock all the time. I can't wait to try this out.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

brc64 posted:

Quoting myself because you fuckers aren't giving me the free tech support I'm entitled to! :argh:

Seriously, though, this just happened again tonight. I pulled up the Network Utility and she had an IP address. I opened terminal and could ping her IP address. I could ping the gateway. But Firefox and Safari told her she was offline, and the errors were instantaneous, not from timeouts.

What the gently caress? It's extraordinarily frustrating for her, especially since everything else on the wireless network is working fine. Even power cycling the Airport Extreme didn't fix it right away this time. It just started working again on its own sometime later.
Do you have any weird / manual DNS entries?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sparrow's the first purchase I recommend to switchers, with 1Password in a close second.

On a somewhat related note, a coworker was asking me questions about Macs today since he's considering one for his dad. I had my Air and my girlfriend's new MacBook Pro on my desk so I decided to show him some cool poo poo. The best examples I could come up with for "it just works" were AirDrop and Back to My Mac. He was extremely impressed with both of those. Does anyone have any other cool features to show off? Expose/Mission Control are a bit hard to understand without actually using the machine for an extended period. I explained how iCloud works and that was pretty exciting to him as well.
I distinctly remember my first 'holy poo poo' moment with a Mac was uninstalling an app. After years of dealing with uninstallers and registry crap in Windows I couldn't quite believe that 'drag it to the Trash' was it... And then I couldn't believe I'd thought it was normal to expect anything less obvious.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh God, I'd totally forgotten about Location Reminders. iOS 5 cannot loving come fast enough.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Molten Llama posted:

Distorted video on a 2008 MBP, you say? And then problems booting?

Visit the Genius Bar, I say. Seriously, though, if you've got one nearby, go get it checked out. It's free, takes like 5 minutes once they actually get to you, and you may win a brand new logic board.
For anybody who might still be vulnerable to / experiencing this problem, go sooner rather than later because if your machine is more than 4 years old you are SOL.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

duck monster posted:

Mails turned into bit of a wreck in lion if you ask me. The three column mode is more or less unuseable. Its just not a good idea.
Personally I would love it and use it all the time if this option wasn't literally useless. It does nothing in three-column mode and I don't know why it's even still enabled.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Grayham posted:

Is it just me or does this always somehow automatically get set back to immediately?

I set it at 15 minutes and a day later I'll look again and it'll be back to immediately.

Actually yea, this happens to me to. Do you have FileVault enabled?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

eames posted:

Haven’t seen this mentioned yet:

ClicktoPlugin 3.5.2 now supports Airplay, so you can send any HTML5 video (and most Flash videos) from Safari to your TV via an AppleTV.

This is a huge game changer for me, I love put on long TED Talks and Google Talks on my TV while browsing the net… with just a single click.

Questions:
Is http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/ the proper download page for this? It still shows version 2.5.2 as being the latest.
When I right-click on a YouTube video I see this, what am I doing wrong?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cyne posted:

Cougar. ;-*

Which I think is basically a panther, which they already covered. Still, I would really like to use Mac OS X Cougar. :wink:
I'd like to see Lynx and Ocelot used as well :) Though I guess ocelots are not that big, but it's a cute name.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Did the option to always confine a certain app to a space disappear in lion? I'd love it if my full screen instance of VMware fusion stayed to the second space instead of covering up my osx workspace every time I launch windows...
If you have more than one desktop, you can right-click an application's Dock icon, and go Options > Assign To... to keep it attached to a particular desktop.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Can anybody help me understand what benefits the 'Pro' version of iOS 1Password offers over the regular version? The differences aren't immediately clear to me.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My PIN is 4826 posted:

But there are no applications starting other than those three? I'm on an SSD as well, so it should be pretty drat fast if that was the case anyway :confused:
Check Console.app, see if anything is taking a lot of time to start up or whatever.

Cadoc posted:

Second:
Why has Keychain syncing been canceled (Mail Account and Mail Rule seems understandable from a marketing point of view)? And are there any alternatives? And do not come at me with "Just import all your mail into your me adress."
It's hardly ideal but you could potentially move your login.keychain into Dropbox and create a symlink from the Keychains folder on each machine you want to keep synced.

Captain Charisma posted:

I think there's a lot of people in the UK that still use it for whatever reason
Yea, in England I don't think a lot of people even know what AIM is. MSN is the primary IM tool. I seem to recall that Brazil almost exclusively uses ICQ.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Alright, so this is what happens right before my login items start dropping in. It kind of makes sense being a disk management process because I haven't had it happening before getting the SSD...
Everything in that portion takes place in under a second. Check the numbers on the left (current time), see if you can spot anything in the logs where there's a significant amount of time between events, or something repeating over and over for a significant amount of time.

'Significant' obviously being on the scale of how long the machine is taking to start up, probably seconds or tens of seconds.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kapncobs posted:

Currently, nope. Apple are offering advice here for managing multiple Apple IDs, but word on the street says that Apple are working on a solution to merge Apple IDs, which would make everything sunshine and rainbows seeing as practically everyone has multiple IDs.
In addition, http://support.apple.com/kb/HE37 has a very straightforward response.

quote:

Apple IDs cannot be merged. You should use your preferred Apple ID from now on, but you can still access your purchased items such as music, movies, or software using your other Apple IDs.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My PIN is 4826 posted:

So I have this one app where the "this is an application downloaded from the internet" doesn't go away after the first ask. Just one app :confused:
Betcha you're running it from inside the .dmg

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

japtor posted:

The 2006 Intel Mac minis did this too, at least with the old white keyboard vs aluminum ones. Didn't know it affected other machines too, maybe it's a first gen Intel Mac thing in general?
Yes. If your machine shipped with a white keyboard you will be unable to use a newer one for startup key sequences.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

chimz posted:

Does it actually support backups? I don't think it does officially.

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

Edit: a Genius friend is saying it does. Hm.
It doesn't support it officially, but it should work just fine.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BrokenDynasty posted:

Is there some piece of software (or some way to use keyboard shortcuts) to have mail templates/canned responses in Mail? There are 7 or 8 several paragraph mails that I send fairly often and now I just look for the most recently sent mail with the content in it and copy paste, but if there was an easier way (ala iOS keyboard shortcuts) where I could just type 'canned1' and it fills in the appropriate content.
Set up signatures with the text you want and choose from that list?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

benloran posted:

I've got a 2007 Macbook Pro that won't quite boot. It starts up, lets me input my password (I've got full-disk FileVault 2 on), then the apple logo appears with the spinning wheel, and after a few seconds the wheel stops spinning and nothing happens.

I've tried resetting the pram/nvram, I've tried booting from my Lion install disc, I've tried booting from an old external HD with Snow Leopard on it, I've tried booting from the Lion recovery partition... the same thing happens, it freezes on the spinning wheel.

I was able to get the Apple Hardware Test to run by putting in the original install disc and holding D, ran the test normally and with the "thorough" option checked, and everything passed both times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit:

I can boot into single-user mode, and can use the shell there. I'm not sure what to look for, though. The only thing that jumps out at me from the log is a line that says "AppleLMUController: smcReadKey received error 0x84 when reading key 'VRLA'>;*BUNCH OF NONSENSE*", with which my google fu is failing to help.
Boot up using verbose mode and you'll be able to see what's crashing or looping during that spinning gear.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

benloran posted:

Thanks, I tried verbose mode and what do you know, it booted all the way. I swear I've tried rebooting this thing 20 times since it stopped working, and now I've done it twice in a row (once with verbose mode and then without) and it seems fine. Now I'm wondering if there's a loose connection internally or something. I don't really want to take it apart so I guess I'll just see if it keeps working.
Verbose mode also runs a filesystem check so there may have just been some minor directory damage preventing it from booting it was able to repair. :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

David Aames posted:

I'm having some weird Mail issues.

Every time I send or receive an email, I have like 50 different lines in my header showing everything from Return Paths, X Mimeole, Mime-Version, etc.. in between the To and Importance.

How do I get rid of this in Lion?
Show header detail - I bet yours is set to 'all'

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Follow these steps to make the bootable media of your choice (DVD, USB, FW, etc.)
There's also an official tool now that is even easier than this.
http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1433

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Even more useful as I left my USB drive at home. She has a new external drive with 2 partitions. Once I use this tool should I be able to erase the partition that the lion recovery deal is on?
Sure, if you're not going to want to install Lion again. Re-partition the disk in Disk Utility to have one partition and it should wipe out the hidden recovery partition as well. If you type 'diskutil list' into Terminal it will show you all the partitions you currently have, including the hidden recovery one so you can verify it's gone.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

decypher posted:

Man, that's really awesome. I am done with the task but I am going to try and set it up to see if it would have worked for me.

edit: Sure enough it worked really well. Was able to set it up to go to each link on the page, automatically save a screen shot, then used folder action to convert screen shot to a small size and then I print. Computers are awesome.
Rule of thumb: Any time you find yourself doing a repetitive task over and over, you're Doing it Wrong. That's exactly what computers are for.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

japtor posted:

Another simple (analog) one is ClockSaver.
If we're doing favourite clock screensavers, I can never get enough of PolarClock: http://blog.pixelbreaker.com/polarclock

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Two questions:

1) Any recommendations for free software to bulk convert Ogg Vorbis to MP3? Since iTunes match won't scan my .ogg files and the iTunes plugin I've been using to play them no longer works, I think it's time to throw in the towel and accept that MP3 has won. So I'd like to transcode (ew) all my music to MP3 so I can get it matched.

2) Any way to get iTunes Match to replace my ID3 tags with the master versions Apple presumably has? One of the things I was actually looking forward to with Match was not having to trawl through all my music updating and correcting tags I haven't yet cleaned up.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Howdy all- I just got my mom a current gen 21" iMac to replace her first gen intel iMac as it was really starting to creak along. I am going to get her Windows 7 as she needs it for a few programs for work. At this point which is the easier virtualization software? She's not going to be doing any gaming or anything on this, so those kinds of stats don't matter at all.
If you're not going to be playing games or doing anything graphically hardware accelerated like that it's worth checking out VirtualBox since it is undoubtedly the best free virtualisation software around.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the only Macs that can do Internet Recovery with a blank drive (relying on EFI only) are still the 2011 Air and Mini. Other models still require the recovery partition to already be present, if they can do it at all. I would love to be wrong though, since that would make restoring my iMac much easier.
You are incorrect, there was a software update to patch in Internet Recovery for earlier 2011 machines. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Seams posted:

I did a dumb thing and bought a product (two, actually) that don't work with Lion due to them being PowerPC applications. What are the changes of an easy workaround or something coming out in the near future?
Best bet is to set up a Snow Leopard virtual machine.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ZeeBoi posted:

Does anybody else's iCal crash when it's attempting to update from a Google Calendar account?
I've had endless issues with iCal either crashing or telling me it can't access Google's servers. I tend to just close iCal and use Google's site until it's stopped having a tantrum.

Also, grump. It looks like they've just today instituted a policy of not letting you change your iTunes account region while you have iTunes Match enabled. I wanted to change my region to UK to take advantage of http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/08/apple-launches-free-12-days-of-christmas-app-for-european-customers/ and I'm being told I have to cancel iTunes Match first. But just yesterday I was able to change to the UK region to get the good version of 15 Years of Hospital Records so it's definitely a new thing. Most unwelcome.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

FCKGW posted:

My Airport Extreme with a USB disk attached isn't backing up anymore. I get this error:

Any ideas? Googling that error message gets me exactly 4 results, none of which relate to my problem.
I had this happen to me recently, unmounting and remounting the disk took care of it. Try that!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

FCKGW posted:

It looks like the Disk isn't mounted at all now. Maybe the disk is bad, or not spinning up?
Am I right in thinking you said this is an external drive connected to your AirPort Extreme? What happens if you plug the drive straight into your machine?

This is probably why the 'external hard drive plugged into AirPort' setup isn't officially supported even though it should work :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Crowley posted:

I just ordered a new Mini and I have a few questions.

If I buy a small SSD disk how can I (for example) put the OS on the SSD and /Users on the slow traditional HDD?

Where can I buy a cheap-ish Bottom Hard Drive Flex Cable (part: 922-9560) in the EU?
Probably the best way would be to create a symlink to redirect the /Users folder to your other drive. And eBay shows that part available for ~£40 - you might find an agreeable AASP who'd sell you one for cheaper. Alternatively you could sweet-talk a Genius into hooking you up, it's a 922 part so it wouldn't look out of place for there to be nothing to send back to the warehouse.