Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Kobayashi posted:

I am ridiculously excited for Lion. My first OSX upgrade experience.

I think I am going to copy my home directory an external USB drive and re-install Snow Leopard from scratch, just so I can experience things the way Steve intended me to.

It's like Christmas everyday.

You don't need to do this. The OS X installer is smart enough to do a proper upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Ziploc posted:

Oh lame.

Full screening an app only fullscreens it on the main monitor. Leaving the external monitor to become absolutely useless.

The second monitor is used for auxiliary windows.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

What's the default setting for the running indicator lights on the Dock? The last developer preview had them on by default for me, and my GM installation also has them on, but Siracusa's review says they're off by default.

Ziploc posted:

Which no full screen apps use?

I'd rather the app full screen on the monitor it was sitting in. Leaving the other monitor fully usable for anything.

I understand the appeal of running fullscreen on a second monitor, but I'm just repeating what Apple said at WWDC. Several fullscreen apps have secondary windows.

Toady fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 20, 2011

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Haggins posted:

I've had this MPB I'm using since 2008 and I've never done a clean install. I bought lion this morning but I'm waiting to finish up some photos for a client tonight before I install it.

Is it worth it to do a clean install? If so, what would be the best way of doing so? I have a time machine backup and a TB free on an external drive that I can utilize.

It's not worth it. The OS X installer is intelligent enough to cleanly install a new system and migrate your account and files to it.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

DigitalChaos posted:

Well, with Safari you reopen the app and you can see it reloading all the pages from the net. That isn't something you would see from an app that has been frozen to disk. I am pretty sure Safari has always had this behavior. I know Firefox and Chrome certainly have the option to reload your last session. That is very different from the description of app suspend though.

You're using phrases like "app suspend" and "frozen to disk" that imply serialization of application memory and other data. Window restoration simply remembers some lightweight window state and automatically restores it on next launch. I wouldn't want applications to be hibernating their entire memory state, especially with large documents open.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

So is there a reason that the "customize" option is still greyed out for me? Is there not a way to do a clean install of Lion?

There's really no need to do a clean install of Lion. As an Apple employee said in the dev forums, "The upgrade installer is much smarter than it used to be."

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

Safari fails to handle 8+ tabs with any reliability.

Back to Chrome I go.

I love OS release threads because there are always these posts from people having problems they think they've narrowed down ("Safari starts having problems at exactly 8 or more tabs!"). I've been regularly running Safari with 20+ tabs since the GM seed was released with no issues. If the same application has no problems on my machine in the same stated conditions that it does on yours, the application isn't the problem.

MZ posted:

Installed Lion at work today, it broke some of our software.

Lion didn't "break" your software. You should test for compatibility before installing on work machines. What software is it?

feld posted:

Only Apple can make OS upgrades so painful. I am one of those people with the "this disk cannot be used to start up your computer" message when trying to upgrade and I've tried every trick in the book.

How much free space do you have? I wonder if the installer is trying to make the system recovery partition but is unable to move the files due to a combination of lack of free space and file fragmentation, the same issue that can occur when trying to create a Boot Camp partition. Completely restoring from a Time Machine backup will write the files contiguously, and I bet it will successfully install after that.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Crackpipe posted:

It's a tiny little app that is incredibly useful to a lot of people. They should have spun it off as an optional, paid, AppStore product.

Everybody wins.

It's not that simple. To support Rosetta, Apple has to ship PowerPC versions of all the system frameworks.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I wrote a free PwdHash generator called Locksmith. It's compatible with existing PwdHash implementations and is used the same way: You enter an address and "master password" to generate a unique password for each site. It auto-clears its text fields when left in the background after a while, configurable in preferences, in case you walk away from your laptop in a public place. It's designed so that you can safely leave it running all day and regenerate passwords as needed.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Lexicon posted:

Cool idea. I hope you are using HMACs to generate the hash and not just raw SHA1 or anything though.

HMAC-MD5, based on PwdHash as described in this paper and implemented at http://pwdhash.com. Because it's compatible with existing implementations, you can regenerate passwords on the website if you don't have access to the app for some reason.

Dead Goon posted:

I started using this to generate my passwords last time you mentioned it in a thread and I must say it is very good! You've reminded me I really should write a review and rate it in the App Store :)

Glad you like it!

Toady fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 22, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Going to start using this, thanks a ton!

Can I make a suggestion? Is there any chance you could make it a menubar item? Like have it come to foreground if I click on a menubar item? I usually have a thousand windows open and finding it behind all my terminal and chrome windows can be a pain.

e: Also two more suggestions:

1. Maybe an option to just put the password directly into your clipboard when you hit enter after typing in your master password, without displaying it at all.
2. A little finer grained control over the auto-clear time. 1 min minimum is a lot longer than it takes me to copy and paste the password. I'd say let me drag it down to five or ten seconds. Ten minutes is probably unrealistically long, I'd say. But that's just me.

Anyway, thanks again! Great app :)

I like these suggestions, especially the menubar item.

The auto-clear timer used to be 10 to 60 seconds, but I expanded it based on feedback. I mimicked the Energy Saver preferences panel that lets people set weird sleep times like 1 hour and 37 minutes. There's always someone. In any case, I'll probably increase the granularity to 10 seconds and figure out a reasonable maximum.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

Keychain Access comes with Password Assistant which can create a unique password. Is this anything like it?

I'm not familiar with Password Assistant, but at first glance, it generates passwords alone, while PwdHash hashes a given key using a domain name for the salt, the idea being that the passwords can be regenerated using the same input.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

japtor posted:

I have no clue what "salt" means in this context, but it sounds like you're saying this basically takes a domain + user password to generate another password, is that right?

That's right. "Salt" is a cryptography term.

Bob Morales posted:

I've been playing Super Crate Box all morning. Slightly disappointed that it's a little laggy on my 1.4GHz Air. I'd just play it on my phone but the buttons suck.

I'm hooked on this game, but I wish it didn't create its save file in the Applications folder.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I'm not trying to compete with 1Password or sway anyone from using it. This is just a free implementation of Stanford's PwdHash. I wrote it because I was tired of loading KeyGrinder in a browser window. There's also a Firefox extension that will transparently hash password field inputs for you. From what I understand, 1Password data isn't easily accessible away from a Mac, so that might be seen as an advantage for PwdHash.

The master key is clearly precious, and the app take some steps to try to protect it, but at some point it does fall on the user's shoulders. I'm personally willing to risk using a master key in exchange for having unique passwords, because it's easier for me to guard one than dozens.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

UnbornApple posted:

This seems like a cool quick and dirty way to have multiple passwords for websites but only have 1 master key, but unless I'm mistaken it would break down for any site that requires that you change your password periodically, correct?

In situations like that, you might consider an easily remembered variation of the master password, perhaps based on the year of the change (or month or whatever the change interval is).

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

Not digging Messages (as a lot of pointed out already) and I want it to default to the "Buddies" screen so I can see who is around like a normal chat application instead of having to hit cmd+1 and closing out the main screen.

If you quit with the buddy list open, it should be open on next launch.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

quote:

If one edits a document, then chooses Save As, then BOTH the edited original document and the copy are saved, thus not only saving a new copy, but silently saving the original with the same changes, thus overwriting the original.

This behavior makes sense because the point of the new document model is that your changes are silently auto-saved while you work. So of course the original document will keep the changes you made. Everything is a live document now instead of a scratchpad. For the old Save As behavior to work, OS X would have to somehow know to stop auto-saving changes in anticipation of the fact that the user was going to save them to a new document.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

royalejest posted:

It's versioned though, and one of the versions is "As Opened", so it shouldn't be that tough.

How would OS X distinguish between changes made to the original document that should be kept and changes that should be discarded?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Going to start using this, thanks a ton!

Can I make a suggestion? Is there any chance you could make it a menubar item? Like have it come to foreground if I click on a menubar item? I usually have a thousand windows open and finding it behind all my terminal and chrome windows can be a pain.

e: Also two more suggestions:

1. Maybe an option to just put the password directly into your clipboard when you hit enter after typing in your master password, without displaying it at all.
2. A little finer grained control over the auto-clear time. 1 min minimum is a lot longer than it takes me to copy and paste the password. I'd say let me drag it down to five or ten seconds. Ten minutes is probably unrealistically long, I'd say. But that's just me.

Anyway, thanks again! Great app :)

Eight months later, I added this stuff to Locksmith along with better automatic termination behavior and other UI improvements.

Toady fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

lord funk posted:

What is going on with Apple and the Save function? I'm sure someone will explain how simple this is, but it makes no sense to me right now. Save As always left the original alone. Maybe this is fixing something with versioning, but I thought versioned apps didn't have a Save As... gah.

There's a Duplicate command that copies the current document to a new file with a different name. In 10.8, they gave it the Save As hotkey, and if you hold Option, it changes the menu item to be "Save As" which opens a save dialog so you can choose the location to duplicate to. People expected this to behave like the old Save As, where changes made to the original file were only saved to the new one. However, in 10.7 and later, documents are live files, and changes are saved as they're made, so the original still had all the changes that the new copy had.

Apparently, Save As in 10.8.2 will allow rolling back changes in the original document to some point, possibly its last opened state. Really, though, it's better if people get used to the idea of everything being a live, continuously-saved document rather than an unsaved scratchpad: instead of making changes and then doing Save As, Duplicate the document before making any changes.

Toady fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 12, 2012