Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
So is 1Password worth it vs something like Last Pass?

On Windows I used to use Keypass and sync with dropbox, but felt it lacked some features.

I've played a little with lastpass - I like that It will fill out forms for me if I want it to.
I'm unsure about which is 'more secure' or better.

Any thoughts on this?

1Password is 25 bucks in the App store, as someone pointed out a few posts back - but LastPass is 1 dollar a month or something like that I believe. In reality neither break the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sparrow's the first purchase I recommend to switchers, with 1Password in a close second.

Well I'm thinking about picking up Sparrow now as well. Just bought 1password, sounds like I won't be disappointed.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Couple of pages back someone was asking about a To-Do list app, but it was excluding Omnifocus and Things.

Is OmniFocus the reining app? Do any of you use this kind of software?
Seems pricey but right now i'm just using Gcal to plan things out, and for tasks that require multiple steps it isn't easy to make Google Calendar work.

Should I spare my wallet or have any of you find Omnifocus or a similar app conducive to Work/School?

Also - IOS5 supposedly has some new features that are Omnifocus like, but given that I've never tried the software not sure what that means.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

I'm currently having a crisis about whether to switch from a ThinkPad to an MBP:TNG for school, but I'm stuck on the fact that I can't live without Microsoft OneNote. I don't believe it has an OS X port, nor am I seeing any information about an official port yet to come. In fact, since "Please port OneNote" has been asked for about ten years and it hasn't been, I doubt I can assume it will.

So here's what I like about OneNote:
  • Folders/Tabs/Pages/Subpages organization
  • Quick formatting for some moderately complex things (lists and outlines, tables)
  • Autocorrect for symbol shorthand
  • Outlook integration
  • Time-synced audio recording
  • Asynchronous page sync, even when offline
  • Usable on all my machines.

I've searched and tried for a long while to replace Onenote in some form.
The Onenote replacement I have found is GrowlyNotes:
http://growlybird.com/GrowlyBird/Notes.html

The issue I have with it is that it is not CrossPlatform. It does export reasonably well. I specifically wanted something to work with Ipad as well.

I tried CircusPonies - the iPad app was terrible. It doesn't handle the images well and is not as flexible. Lost a fair chunk of change on the Desktop and iPad versions of this.

I tried Curio for a while - mindmapping and freeform notetaking is cool, but again this isn't cross platform and seemed to be a better brainstorming application.

I wanted something that would allow me to import PDFs or PPT documents and write near them, and Curio didn't do that as well or smoothly as Circus Ponies did.

I also demoed Pear, which does a great job at taking notes and syncing audio but not much else.
Again this also isn't cross platform.

In my opinion, Evernote is great for organizing and clipping things around the internet. IE if I'm working on something, I can clip all my research in there. Or if I'm taking a Test soon, I can clip questions I need to review later on - or concepts from different pages.

For me, I think I will probably stick to Evernote and use Google Docs -- I know the latter sounds weird but I like being able to import select images and write notes around them.
Google Docs has become more flexible with doing this -- and I can organize things well.
That's my thought for now, I'm sure this will evolve more.

Evernote is more of a 'store everything' reference wise, rather than the greatest notetaking system ever.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Growly's export doesn't look like it does one thing I absolutely need, which is be able to access my notes on my desktop (a PC) both regularly and in case of Critical Laptop Failure (dropped, stolen, or otherwise borked). Even if I were to Hackintosh or replace it with a Mac, it seems like sync would rely rather unrobustly on DropBox, SpiderOak, or an unsupported jimmying of iCloud.

I'm not sure I'm not-paranoid enough to accept that.

Yeah -- I can fully understand that.
This is how I used to use onenote 5 or 6 years ago and the results were merely Ok.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Anyone have ideas on a good way to take notes with PDFs?

I've been using Preview and the annotations feature, but it has some limitations -- namely that I cant draw 'freeform' when I need to.

Otherwise it hasn't been bad.

I'm trying to find something that will sync up nicely with a PDF Application on iPad, so I can sync the two via Dropbox.

I might try Skim for OS X , but any other ideas/workflow suggestions?

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Are any of you using the Mail app with Gmail?

I have Sparrow but I wonder if there is something better out there beyond it. I mostly use Gmail in browser, but wondering if I'm missing out on something.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Anyone know how to make sure autocorrect is disabled in Mavericks?
I went into keyboard then text in preferences, and unchecked it there, but the OS still corrects what is perceives are misspelled words but are actually not.

Anyone else having this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalix
May 8, 2009
it's actually a problem in Keynote of all places. Was trying out the new version for last few days. Not sure if i'm missing the setting somewhere.