Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benloran
Aug 26, 2009

I've got a 2007 Macbook Pro that won't quite boot. It starts up, lets me input my password (I've got full-disk FileVault 2 on), then the apple logo appears with the spinning wheel, and after a few seconds the wheel stops spinning and nothing happens.

I've tried resetting the pram/nvram, I've tried booting from my Lion install disc, I've tried booting from an old external HD with Snow Leopard on it, I've tried booting from the Lion recovery partition... the same thing happens, it freezes on the spinning wheel.

I was able to get the Apple Hardware Test to run by putting in the original install disc and holding D, ran the test normally and with the "thorough" option checked, and everything passed both times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit:

I can boot into single-user mode, and can use the shell there. I'm not sure what to look for, though. The only thing that jumps out at me from the log is a line that says "AppleLMUController: smcReadKey received error 0x84 when reading key 'VRLA'>;*BUNCH OF NONSENSE*", with which my google fu is failing to help.

benloran fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benloran
Aug 26, 2009

TACD posted:

Boot up using verbose mode and you'll be able to see what's crashing or looping during that spinning gear.

Thanks, I tried verbose mode and what do you know, it booted all the way. I swear I've tried rebooting this thing 20 times since it stopped working, and now I've done it twice in a row (once with verbose mode and then without) and it seems fine. Now I'm wondering if there's a loose connection internally or something. I don't really want to take it apart so I guess I'll just see if it keeps working.

benloran
Aug 26, 2009

TACD posted:

Verbose mode also runs a filesystem check so there may have just been some minor directory damage preventing it from booting it was able to repair. :)

You know, I think I did see a message about fsck doing something. I didn't realize that might have fixed the problem though. Thanks for mentioning that.

benloran
Aug 26, 2009

lazer_chicken posted:

Jesus gently caress I hate the new "Duplicate" functionality. Why can't I have "Save As..." like we've had since the dawn of time? Consider the following situation in the program Pixelmator:

1. I open an image and make a few changes
2. I hit "Duplicate" so I can save it to a new file and leave the original unchanged
3. It saves the changes I made to the original file and then duplicates, so I have two copies of the same (modified) file.

How the gently caress are you supposed to do this the Lion way? If I open a file, make changes, and then want to save the changes to a new file without altering the original, what do I do?

I just tried this in Pixelmator. When I tried to Duplicate the image after I modified it, I got a popup dialog asking me whether I wanted to "Duplicate and Revert" or just Duplicate. The first option would make a copy and then revert the original to its last saved version, the second option would save the changes first, then make a copy (which is what you described happening).

I guess the Lion way to do it is: Duplicate before you make changes, or hit "Duplicate and Revert" instead of Duplicate. Or copy the file in Finder before you open it.

You can also go to File -> Revert Document to revert the original to a previous version after you Duplicate.

Any way you look at it, though, it's definitely more steps than "Save As..." would be. Guess we just have to get used to it.