Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Commercial UNIX" was always an attractive proposition for companies that didn't want to touch Linux or FreeBSD because eeww, free ( = unsupported).

Also there are better and more efficient kernel architectures than Linux. But in tyool 2018 I imagine it's just too much of an uphill battle when the companies they would normally be selling servers to are just spinning up AWS/gcloud instances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've always set a hot corner to trigger the screen saver, and require a password after 5 seconds or whatever.

That way I can walk away from my desk with a mad flourish :buddy:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:same: Top left is for desktop exposé, and I can't use the right ones because I usually have another display there

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Generally speaking, in macOS the Ctrl key combos are the ancient ones inherited from Unix and GNU Readline. So you can jump around in text fields with ^A and ^E for example.

https://tiswww.cwru.edu/php/chet/readline/rluserman.html

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Binary Badger posted:

Apple stopped paying attention to its own UI guidelines back around 10.9 as far as I can tell..

To be fair I remember when people were making the exact same statement about like System 7

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Luv too differentiate the selected/unselected state of two tab bar buttons with two sets of neutral colors

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I use Safari primarily for dogfood reasons. Chrome might have X or Y feature, but I know that the vast bulk of Mac users will be using Safari and I'd better be sharing that experience if I want to develop for them.

Then again that might be baseless since every single Mac user I've ever seen in the wild has followed whatever universal mind signal it is that tells them to switch to Chrome, so who knows.

Also I have to use Chrome for Meet and Google Earth because Google doesn't gaf.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How are Firefox's form widgets so goddamn ugly in 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Call me old-fashioned but the idea of a password manager that handles 2fa just sounds like someone inventing a way to speed up TCP by pre-acking packets

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“We want in on this super hot mii action”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

park.com

(Remember when small .exe files were called .com files)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now do the rationales for all the Keyboard Viewer/Key Caps mappings :haw:

(Seriously, I always thought those were cool mnemonics, even if they made Douglas Adams so mad they inspired him to write snide commentaries about them)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's not a "little touch", my sense is that that's kind of a marquee feature.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vulture Culture posted:

It beats the other chain, who disavowed all legal culpability for an employee murdering a pregnant subordinate and raping her corpse with the still-alive fetus inside after numerous unresolved complaints about his behavior

Instead of making a loss prevention joke I

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why does Mojave no longer show hourly weather details in the notification sidebar?

Do I have to configure something now, or did they straight up remove functionality?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Huh, that got it. Re-added one of the locations and they all started working.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every now and then I reread this

https://panic.com/extras/audionstory/

:unsmith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What you need is a combination of physical password notebook and computer-based random memorable password generator

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fallom posted:

Kind of struggling to think of what a save icon would be if not a floppy

None of my open apps have an icon and that's no fun at all

(:v:)

e: actual answer, maybe more like

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 18, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember seeing like "file cabinet" type icons back in the Win3.1 days, but they were used for aggregate archives and such (.cab files) because the floppy for save was fine at the time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've always thought it was a pretty hilarious choice of Mac OS X to use a photorealistic picture of an internal hard drive for its Macintosh HD icon.

I mean I don't know what would be better, but that's about the least logical, least friendly thing they could conceivably have gone with, right? And it's long outlived the age of skeuomorphism at that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zenostein posted:

They went through the trouble of updating every possible disk type you could jam into a macintosh to their neat photorealistic style. It would be unthinkable to leave in the old 2d rectangle Macintosh HD icon. What else could they have possibly used? It's a hard drive, so it looks like a hard drive, just as a CD looks like a CD and floppies look like floppies (I presume, because I cannot possibly remember the last time I used a floppy disk in OS X).

I'm not sure how it's any less logical or friendly than the old rectangle icon, especially since it's rather clearly labeled right out the box.

Now, if you're complaining that it doesn't reflect that most macs now have an SSD, that's fine, but I'm not sure "some chip looking thing" is a particularly appealing solution.

I mean in the sense that the vast majority of computer users, especially Mac users, shouldn't be expected to know what a hard drive looks like. I didn't think I was being that outré here.

When I click "like" on a tweet I'm not clicking on a photorealistic human heart.

I would have expected Apple of all companies to come up with an abstract symbol to represent persistent storage. If the IT world can have a stacked cylinder that universally says "database", surely something similar for "the place where you save things" would pay long-term dividends in a world where they had to know the tech/medium would change invisibly over the coming decades but the use patterns probably wouldn't.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tankadillo posted:

The obvious solution to making a good save icon is what every decent Mac app does: not include one at all and autosave everything.

On the one hand it's a totally stupid accident of history that we have such concepts as "saving" and "booting" and "loading from disk into memory" in the first place, and I can't wait until they are all gone.

But on the other I still regularly autopilot my way through traditional muscle-memory workflows like taking a high-resolution PNG and scaling it down in Preview, exporting as a JPEG, closing the window, and realizing just then that I have hosed myself out of my hi-res original because now it's saved scaled-down and can't be restored.

e: Oh you mean I have to "duplicate" this 11.5GB file before working with it, oh nah that's okay I'm not short on disk space or anything *watches beachball for 100 hours*

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 18, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy drat, that Affinity stuff looks like the better-than-Adobe suite I've always been waiting for. Is it too good to be true?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nude posted:

Yup, pretty sure it's Sierra and I agree with how great it is. Although it bugs me it's a hotkey making the discoverability basically non-existent. While we are on the subject if you use Go->Go to Folder and enter a path to a hidden folder it will work (i.e. ~/.config). Sadly this is kind of limited as the dotfiles in the folder will still be hidden.

Lol, it still doesn't show .DS_Store files :suicide:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I for one welcome our new Marzipan overlords

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Window management (and passthru click handling behavior) is far and away the #1, #2, #3, ... top 100 reasons I would rather eat mud than use Windows

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lambert posted:

But Windows has the same options as Mac OS, but way more flexible? This doesn't make any sense.

Tell me how to make it so when you click a backgrounded window in Windows, it doesn't pass that click through to whatever widget in that application happened to be under your pointer but you couldn't see because it was in the background, and it'll change my life.

I'm forever hunting for a piece of dead real estate to click on to bring a background application forward, and if I miss by one pixel I find I've hit a link or clicked an action button or something that has made that Windows app go off and do all kinds of overenthusiastic stuff that no application should execute if it was clicked on while the app itself was in a background window, because there's no way the user did it on purpose with full knowledge.

And then if that is by some miracle possible, conversely I want to know how to make Windows recognize gestures and navigation inputs on windows that are not necessarily focused, like why the bloody hell can't I two-finger swipe to scroll a file list unless I click in it first? Two-finger swipe scrolling should definitely work even on a background window.

I want to be able to see what's in the background without having to bring that app forward, and I want to be able to bring an app forward without tiptoeing around live-click land mines.

These are behaviors that are default on Mac but seemingly impossible on Windows, and I'm on a locked-down Win7 so if this is fixed in Win10 or something then ignore me, I'm just pointlessly grousing like an OS beardo from the 90s

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes, that's what I end up having to do, and I hate it

I like clicking the big sticky-outy part of the app that's right there, instead of hunting for the right title bar among fifteen :smith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lambert posted:

Windows 10 does allow you to execute gestures/scroll inactive windows. Funnily enough, this should be behavior you don't like, considering your first gripe.

I mean, that's why I included a line explaining why I wanted the one behavior and not the other. Windows does the opposite of what I want in each circumstance.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's certainly possible, even likely, that I'm the weird one and nobody else likes things the way I like them. I'll adapt or die I suppose.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Diiiiiiick move

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The first release of iTunes was the best, and every subsequent one made it worse

1.0 and its relational-database interface was a loving revelation in a world where "organizing your music" meant filling up folders full of ungainly numerically-sorted filenames (like iTunes does under the hood) and stuff like compilation albums or searching by composer was just impossible

I'm being somewhat facetious, Smart Playlists and other later features that leveraged the database underpinnings were similarly amazing, but it seems like everything after that has been an attempt to bury that functionality where no one will ever find it ever again, to the point where I simply stopped caring about music rather than try to keep up with the paradigm

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

IUG posted:

Heads up to the other 2 people who rip CDs still with iTunes. The latest update seems to have changed MP3 ripping so everything is 160 kbps. Thankfully I only ripped one CD before I caught it.

Partying like it's 1999 :dance:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Green initiative, conserving precious bits

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boris Galerkin posted:

Then go with the built in iOS/Safari stuff. Don't know if it offers to save/generate passwords by default but if it doesn't then it's one switch and then you won't have to deal with troubleshooting it over the phone when they call you about "it just doesn't work" and instead just schedule a froot stand appointment for them and let someone else deal with tech support.

Yes it does.

I always feel like I'm going insane when the "what password manager for mac" conversation comes up because uh it's frickin built into the OS. I have never found it lacking and I don't know what everyone else needs a separate app for.

(I guess Chrome doesn't use it? I avoid Chrome, maybe that's it)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of iCloud Mail, anyone know why pull-to-refresh stopped working a couple of months ago?

Super annoying having to go click on the little icon every time, since it usually doesn't refresh on its own.

(It would be nice if that worked too)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So they finally bought Audion?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

enojy posted:

Oh it was faster than a motherfucker, don't get me wrong. It's actually a pretty renown school for STEM/CS! Just some network fuckery that kept me from maintaining a connection to battle.net.

I bet it was the company I worked for that was to blame :newlol:

We made bandwidth management devices that classified traffic very finely. We monitored message boards to gauge how well we were doing in the real world, how defeatable the tech was, etc. Once we saw a couple of posts that went like:

"My college has a <device> on its network and it's preventing me from getting a reliable connection to gaming servers. Anyone know how to circumvent it?"

"Well, you basically have two options:
1. Transfer to a different school
2. Get a bat and smash the <device>"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They should just release iTunes 1.0 again