Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nobody’s biting on “AI-driven” as a positive selling point, right?

It all comes across like “your email will be filled with dogs and eyeballs and hands with 19 fingers”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As much as I roll my eyes at anyone touting AI-anything, I will 1000% believe *GPT or whatever could tell me "what's traffic like up ahead?" which to this day Siri can't make heads or tails of.

It is literally the only question I could ever imagine asking Siri and it has absolutely no idea how to handle it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Where is the nearest Walmart/Michael's/Publix/etc"

"Here is a list of <x>, the nearest one is Y miles away"

"OK, directions to the first one on the list"

"I'm sorry, what? Hi my name is Siri, nice to meet you, I have no memory of any prior interactions"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Where is the nearest gas station up ahead?"

"The nearest gas station is 5 miles away *directions to gas 5 miles behind on the freeway because it has no concept of the fact that I am driving in a direction*"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arrival estimates are eerily accurate, like it's able to nail my arrival 17 hours later on a road trip without any knowledge of how fast I'm likely to drive or what traffic I will run into, within like 10 minutes. Repeatedly.

It feels like the issues with Siri are at the "parsing human language"/"understand intent" level, and I accept that it could be my fault for not talking enough like a computer, but it's a whole nother issue that I feel really dumb giving voice commands and I keep having to reword things and misspeak and try to start over and get all tangled up in knots trying to make it time out so I can try again and not crash at the same time. Star Trek this isn't

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's not a directory, that's the documentation of the command's usage, telling you what options are available. For future reference on commands like this, that's how you know what you typed wrong.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Does my heart good to see ancient apps like Graphic Converter (which dates back to the early 90s) still relevant and kicking rear end today :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had that too, Cmd+` (to cycle windows within an app) stopped working in one app and then another. Sometimes it would come back if I clicked off the app and back onto it, but gradually it went away permanently in all apps, leaving Exposé as my only decent option to pick an app window. When Cmd+Space to bring up Spotlight stopped working too it was conveniently time for the next Sonoma point update so I rebooted and it's fine now, 🤞

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Branch Nvidian posted:

Get ready to feel dumb…
(At least since Leopard, which was my first MacOS version)

Yeah I remember that being in the Public Beta lol. It was one of the main things to show off Quartz live magnification and smooth scaling which was :aaaaa:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Implying that there's a way in which "Spotlight" and "working fine" occur in a comprehensible sentence

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

iitt wwoorrkkss ffffiiiinnnneeee

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

App Exposé is my :airquote: tabs :airquote:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lord Bude posted:

My dad has been using mail.app on his new Mac and he doesn’t like the way that when you attach a document to an email it shows a great big preview of the document instead of just an icon. Can this behaviour be changed?

TBH I'd like to know this too. Mail has some really strange choices about attachments, particularly images. Multiple times I've tried sending my family a handful of photos and it scrunches them down to thumbnail size even though a) they show up full-size in the message body prior to sending, and b) I have "Actual Size" selected for attachment handling. (One at a time is usually okay, it's like there's a byte size threshold that triggers it or something.) And I have no way of knowing what it will do until it gets to them and they're like "uuuhhh what are these, vacation photos for ants? Weren't you supposed to be good at computers?"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 21, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Handy cheat sheet in Settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can you not still Cmd+doubleclick (or Option or whatever it was) on the app icon to make it give you an override "open anyway" button on the warning dialog?