Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
Wow, I really love the new Safari! I like the magical disappearing scrollbar (I'm pretty sure it's going to be controversial, though), the ability to zoom in with a double-tap, predictive typing, and reading list features. I've been using Safari for a while now just to give it a fair chance to impress me over its more popular peers, and this update marks a pretty big improvement.

Mission Control seems great, I'll have to try out Launchpad soon. I am missing the ability to run PowerPC applications, but overall this feels like a pretty exciting update!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This is how I feel as well. I don't really get what Launchpad offers that isn't already available through the Application folder. Or by just typing in the name of the program you want to run through the search.

It doesn't offer anything strictly new, but it has advantages over those two methods. For instance, you can't search for an application if you can't remember the name (or misremember the spelling). The Finder interface is a little unintuitive and hard-to-find for new users. And you can reach the launchpad with a single multi-touch gesture.

It's not really designed for power users but it's a helpful crutch if you're new to Mac.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
I have a quick question for a friend. Does anyone know if the full install with upgrade media workaround for Windows 7 will work with Boot Camp? I have a friend who's only prepared to take the plunge into Mac if he can get a student discount on a copy of Windows, and those only apply to upgrade editions.

I feel like maybe he's missing the point a little, but to each their own I guess.