Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Aww, the new version of Safari got changed the behavior of the back button. It used to do something (always rerun scripts?) that meant unread post counts were accurate when backing into thread lists. Now, it shows the old count like Firefox does, meaning to get the updated counts, I have to hit refresh. The new features are nice otherwise, but that one feature made browsing the forums even nicer. Is there a reason for the new behavior?

toady posted:

The second monitor is used for auxiliary windows.

How so? I tried opening the Organizer from a fullscreen Xcode window, and it actually went through the whole animating to fullscreen deal itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

^^^^ we'll see whether we're still using natural scrolling. :v:

Space Racist posted:

How does upgrading on top of Snow Leopard handle your old Time Machine backups?

I think it works fine. I didn't have to start over again after upgrading, but I did try to be crafty and pull the "Install Lion" app out of my backup and got a "data could not be read or written" error.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mikey-San posted:

Please file a bug and include the archive generated by the tmdiagnose tool.

Interesting, I tried it again and it worked fine. I'll make sure to do this if I ever see the problem again though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Diabolik900 posted:

I literally just came to ask the exact same thing.

Map Mission Control to a keystroke, then configure that button to execute the keystroke. I'm not sure if it will have entirely the desired behavior, however, and can't test because I left Logitech's software for USB Overdrive a while ago.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Ziploc posted:

Why is Time Machine an anal retentive bitch now?

Before, I would backup about once a day (or every two days depending on file changes) to an external hard drive. This worked fine, and I would only get the ( ! ) up top when it was longer than a week from the last backup. I liked this because it was a good reminder.

Now I get the ( ! ) after like 30mins - 1hr after removing the external HD. Why? Is this behavior I can change? Or is this a new Lion 'feature'?

The new Lion feature is local TM backups when the external drive is absent. I think the exclamation mark appears when TM has created a local backup but hasn't gotten the chance to move it to the external drive.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mo0 posted:

That's the equivalent of a Windows user running around amok in C:\Windows\System32, isn't it?

Or is it closer to the user running around in the registry?

~/Library? Like messing with their Users\name\Application Data folder (not a good idea). /Library would be more akin to messing around with folders in C:\Windows.

quote:

How did you get your dock to look like that, some sort of third-party add-on?
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -bool YES && killall Dock
Onyx works, as well.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Private Browsing in Safari 5.0.x still respected cookies created when the mode was turned off. All it did (I think) was stop recording history and, when the mode was ended, deleted all cookies created that session.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I've actually come to like the new system; it's great for guaranteeing the document is saved, and I've become quite attached to just closing documents when I'm finished with them. I can't wait for everything to adopt the system.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Every once in a while QuickTime would forget about Perian and claim it couldn't play .mkv files, and reinstalling fixed that problem each time.

I'm having trouble getting Perian to update from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3. Every time I click check for update, it finds it, downloads it, and installs it, but the version number is always 1.2.2. This has persisted across both reinstallations and reboots. I'll give it another shot, but I think something else has to be done.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah, 10.7.2 is just an iCloud test bed. As you'll notice, they haven't mentioned anything about 10.7.1, except that it won't contain iCloud because that's what 10.7.2's for :v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

17.4MB on my Pro :smug:

Glad to see they got the binary delta updates working, weren't all point releases for SL well north of 100MB?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Once you plug in the projector the other resolutions will show up.
Yeah, this'll happen. If you use extended desktop to do your presentations (which gives you the presenter display) you'll get a separate window on the projector with appropriate resolutions. If not, I think you should still get the resolutions you'll need added. Is it a special kind of projector? The standard short throw ones I've used could deal with a large range of resolutions, including good old 1024x768.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Anyone else experience hard freezes during login? Randomly (does not matter whether I'm resuming applications or not) OS X will freeze completely, just after loading the menu items associated with the system (clock, Wi-Fi, battery, etc.) I can still move the mouse, but nothing short of a hard reset gets me out of it. I've looked through console and can't find any messages indicative of an error. Since it had not been fixed in 10.7.1, I planned to report a bug at http://bugreport.apple.com but as soon as I punch in my Apple ID, it gives me an error.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Granite Octopus posted:

Do you have an InsomniaX installed?

Nope, nothing of that sort.

I noticed two entries in my Login Items list that had the "not found" triangle next to them (iTunesHelper was one of them, oddly) so I tried removing those. I'll see if it happens to me again, but I can't be sure for a while because the problem was completely unpredictable.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

There isn't any gesture in the default set, no. You might be able to make one with BTT though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Auriak posted:

How is this Lion not-closing-processes-thing supposed to affect battery life? When I'm not plugged in, I'm pretty anal when it comes to closing apps I'm not using.

An idle app here or there won't affect your battery life at all, and I have yet to come across a process that was supposed to close actually using any resources other than memory.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

meme23 posted:

I'm sorry but no amount of use will get me adjusted to the awkwardness of the palm pinch.

Really? I think it's actually kind of fun. :v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I noticed that back when they put up the preview pages they actually had it as "four-finger pinch and spread." It's much easier to do with three fingers and thumb, but still works the old way.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The reason you couldn't see the file anywhere was because it's a hidden file, as all files whose names begin with a "." are. I have no idea why it let you delete it only after you uninstalled Skype, however.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Command-Option-Q will discard windows. You can see this by opening the Preview menu and holding the option key. This works everywhere, by the way.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The application grouping is nice when you have several applications open but only a few windows in each application. What would be nice is if after 3 or so windows in an application, scrolling on it to spread them out would actually trigger per-app Expose. Now, with tons of windows they just overlap too much and it becomes impossible to get at a window at the bottom of the stack.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Alright, I figure you guys might get a kick out of this. I was messing around a bit in /Applications, and had a considerable amount of items selected when I accidentally hit enter. Powerless to do anything as my computer dutifully launched 20 apps, I decided instead to wait because I was curious to see what Mission Control would do with that many apps.

The results were predictable, so I decided to do it one better: I launched every application I could think of:

It gets quite crowded, though I'm fairly confident it managed to squeeze everything in there. Note that Mission Control isn't smart enough to stop showing individual windows after a certain point; if you look closely, you can see single white pixels which are the windows. Though they look like the belong on the background, you can see (for instance) a few "stars" on the planet in the upper left corner.

Mission Control, it seems, didn't take to kindly to being abused, and waited until I switched to a fullscreen app to take its revenge:

I had to relog to get it to go away.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Here's one for the Mail experts: When I get email from my parents, it's always in a tiny font; I think it's just Outlook Express 6's default appearance as rendered by Mail.app. Is there any way to tell mail to display the plain-text alternative from certain senders only? I know about Command+Option+P, but I'd like something that persists across restarting the software, if anyone knows of such a feature.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

KingEup posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with the overlap here?

That's how Mission Control displays 3 windows from different apps. The algorithm doesn't put space between them until you have a few more apps and/or windows open.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

KingEup posted:

So I opened 6 and now I can't even see all the windows:

What happens if you throw in two more Safari windows? If that doesn't trigger it to make them all smaller then something has broken.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

edit: ^^^ ~ is a wildcard that means your home directory, e.g. /Users/yourname/

Abel Wingnut posted:

Yesterday I installed a Flash update. Now I learn there's malware spreading around under the guise of a Flash update. How can I tell if my Flash update was legitimate?

It seems like a legitimate copy. I didn't click any buttons; the update just appeared like other Flash updates have. I just want to ensure my system is still safe and sound.

Do you remember what the installer looked like? This article has screenshots and descriptions of both.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 27, 2011

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The joke is that Adobe would never willingly use the standard installer :v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

That reminds me, I'm fairly confident this hasn't been posted yet, but it looks like there might be a Textmate 2 after all: http://blog.macromates.com/2011/whats-next/

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's in Software Update, as well.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

10.7.2 is in Software Update now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I got that for my 2010 MBP as well. Looks like they can't do delta updates with that or something.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm pretty sure your update source depends on your installation source. If you installed from the App Store, you update through the App Store. Otherwise, updates will continue to come through Software Update. I believe this applies to Aperture, iLife, and iWork.
This. I got iLife '11 on disc and my update came from Software Update, but if you have it in the App Store that's where you'll go.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm having trouble getting an Automator folder action to do what I want. Basically, I have a screenshots folder where the output of CMD+OPT[+SHIFT]+[3/4] sent. Inside that folder, I have another folder where I move older screenshots. To automate this, I set this workflow as a folder action:

I think this means if an image file is 30 or more days old, move it to the Archive folder. The problem is, whenever I take a screenshot, it immediately archives the new file. Is there something else I have to add to get it not to do that?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Zenostein posted:

Insert "Get Finder Items" between the two. That worked for me in a quick test.

No dice with either Get Specified or Get Selected (although I think that latter one wasn't supposed to be used there.) Thanks though.

edit: Looks like "Find Finder Items" is a bit dumb. Threw in explicit rejections for anything created this week and now it works. Seems like a pretty glaring bug that has apparently existed since Automator was introduced in 10.4.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 14, 2011

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Might have to do with the differences between a straight workflow and a folder action. I could never test it inside Automator because it kept telling me to put a Get Specified action at the beginning or I wouldn't get any results.

It could also be a difference between 10.6 and 10.7. Odd.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Martytoof posted:

I use this on my Hackintosh, I'm not sure if it'll work on a real mac but I'm not sure why it wouldn't:

http://netkas.org/?p=72

Looks like the link on that page is dead. I found it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?1yylmatzull

For what it's worth, I don't see the frequency changing at all, even on battery (though I do have about a dozen apps open.) Maybe Lion doesn't slow the processor down.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

If you release too soon after you press, it won't trigger to prevent accidental input.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

SimpleCoax posted:

Does anyone have a new iCloud email address who wasn't a MobileMe member that can actually receive mail? I can't make it work. Every mail test comes back undeliverable but I can send them through the website. It appears on the Apple forums that I'm not the only one, but there's no single fix I can find.
iCloud's mail has been up and down the past few days. It's nothing on your end, you just have to wait for it to start working again. I had the same problems last Sunday, and probably would have experienced them when you did had I been using the account for mail.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bootcamp question: I have a slipstreamed XP SP2 disc that I want to install in boot camp (I'll then upgrade it to Windows 7.) The bootcamp wizard won't recognize the disc as a Windows disc and refuses to go through with the installer. My question is, would it be sufficient to partition my hard disk manually and then boot to the CD? Does the bootcamp wizard do anything else?

This is Lion, by the way, and I know they don't officially support anything less than 7, but I have the Snow Leopard disc with Bootcamp 3.whatever. If it's too risky, I can wait the week or so until I have access to my Windows 7 disc and try to fake it out, but I'd like to get the XP installation out of the way now so it takes less time later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'd do that if I had access to my Windows 7 CD, but I don't. What I do have is my XP CD and some downtime, so I was hoping to get half the install process done now and just have to do part 2 once I got the right disc.