Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Crisis posted:

It doesn't offer anything strictly new, but it has advantages over those two methods. For instance, you can't search for an application if you can't remember the name (or misremember the spelling). The Finder interface is a little unintuitive and hard-to-find for new users. And you can reach the launchpad with a single multi-touch gesture.

It's not really designed for power users but it's a helpful crutch if you're new to Mac.
Still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Accipiter posted:

Yeah, that works fine when you're manipulating the data directly. (e.g. Via touchscreen.) With an intermediary device like a mouse or a trackpad, it makes less sense.

See: every mouse scroll wheel ever. It's the exact same finger motion, and reversing it would make no sense at all.
Yet they did reverse it. And it's not really that big of a deal at all...

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
So if I missed the option to ERASE AND INSTALL then is my only option to do an ERASE AND INSTALL of Snow Leopard, and then download Lion again and do it all over again?

Downloadable content isn't all it's cracked up to be. :(

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
So is there a reason that the "customize" option is still greyed out for me? Is there not a way to do a clean install of Lion?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Accipiter posted:

So Launchpad doesn't respect your scroll-gesture preferences. It always uses "Natural" scrolling.

gently caress that poo poo.
You're not really scrolling though, you're paging through. Same goes with spaces/safari gestures.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

DirtyWorker posted:

Or just buggy 3rd party software which hasn't been fixed for use with Lion yet.
This is the most likely scenario.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Doctor Zero posted:

The third post in the thread tells you how to get Lion if you'd already downloaded it. :(
For what it's worth, I tried this after upgrading to Lion (wanted to do a erase/install instead) and was prompted with "A newer version of this software already exists on your computer" message when trying to redownload Lion.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Any way to make dropbox have a stylized folder icon on the finder sidebar like before? Is this just something that Dropbox is going to have to implement in an update?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
So what's everyone's new preferred gesture (magic mouse) for "Next Track"? I had it set to two-finger swipe right and got pretty used to that with SL, but with the same gesture being used for desktop paging in Lion, I'm toying around with Better Touch Tool and haven't been able to come up with anything. Is there a way to request new gestures or add your own or something? I used two-finger swipe up for Expose before, so I've remapped Mission Control to that because I'm used to it, but it would be nice to remap the current Mission Control gesture (two finger tap) to next track, but it seems BTT doesn't have that available as a gesture currently.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
VMWare.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Anyone know why my screensaver or powersaver options won't invoke while Transmission is running? I know it counts as a running process and won't allow the computer to sleep, but I'd at least like the display to shut off.

Never happened in SL.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Corbet posted:

Is anyone surprised about how much like enjoy fullscreen implementation on Lion? I've always been a big proponent of carefully organized windows on one display, but I really like being able to three finger swipe between different apps/desktops.

Now we just have to wait until all apps implement a full screen function.
While I love the concept, I guess it also really depends on your real estate too. On a 27" iMac, there's really not many apps that make sense taking up a full 2560x1440 space. I've been doing it with iTunes just to feel like I'm using it (and having it on grid view looks pretty), but Sparrow/Safari/Etc. all just seem ridiculously overwhelming at that res.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

Grabbing scrollbars with the cursor isn't that hard even if they're set to hide automatically. Moving the cursor immediately after scrolling makes the scroll bars persist longer.
Moving the cursor at any time when they're visible makes them stay visible, and once you over in the scrollbar area they'll stay there until you move away.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Xandu posted:

Since the latest update seems to have broken Transmission, what other good torrent programs are there for mac?

What "latest update"?

I'm running the latest Transmission on Lion just fine......

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

FCKGW posted:

What am I looking at here?
A full screen space with a resizing error at the bottom?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Did you try running the application?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I know Launchpad uses some strange alternate method of displaying app icons (currently it's impossible to change the icon of apps purchased via the app store with tools like Candybar). Maybe look into people troubleshooting that issue?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Doesn't actually work if you sign in with a current .me account lol.

Still looks pretty interesting. Curious to see how they implement the file sharing / iTunes features though.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Xandu posted:

They didn't even actually integrate Find my iPhone into it, just put a redirect to me.com
It's a beta...

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
You made a direct comment about them just putting a redirect to me.com, as if you thought that that's what the final product would be like. Obviously it's just a proof of concept and they're working on reforming everything to fit with the new site. (Mail also redirects to me.com at the moment)

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Ahh, well I was attempting to view it using a non-me account, so that makes sense.

As it currently stands I'm redirected to http://me.com/move (which doesn't exist) when trying to log in using my MobileMe account.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Is there any way to disable the "feature" of mouse acceleration when you quickly move your mouse over a small distance it automatically jumps all the way to the edge of the screen? I'm fairly certain that I've got my acceleration levels the same as they were on SL, but I'm noticing a ton of problems with this now on Lion. It seem like any time I even touch the mouse after leaving it sit for a while that I'm jumped all the way the the edge of the screen (which is annoying on 27"). Is this new? Do I just have my acceleration set too high but can't tell? Am I insane?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I just disabled Dashboard on my Air. I don't really need the memory savings, but I'm tired of seeing it when I use Mission Control. I check the weather and stock quotes on my iPhone when I'm on the go anyway. I'll leave Dashboard doing its thing on my iMac just so I get Delivery Status notifications pushed.
It doesn't show up in MC if you remove it from its own space.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
You're crazy.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

lord funk posted:

Lion looks like fun, but I think I speak for all the Snow Leopard holdouts when I say :smug:
what

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

SERIOUS posted:

Yeah the whole Adobe Create Suite runs quite poorly on Lion. It doesn't appear to be unstable and I have not experienced a crash, but things do run very slowly.

I like Lion but I simply can't use it yet.
Adobe CS has worked absolutely perfectly for me. Perhaps the issue is with your workflow or Lion install?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

every posted:

Agreed. Something like Mission Control was sorely needed. Expose was horrifyingly incomplete.
What's largely different between MC and Exp other than "space" integration?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They merged the "show all windows" and "show program windows" functionality so that one MC swipe shows everything, with multiple windows from the same program grouped. Another swipe over that group expands it.

edit: I guess app-specific Expose is still there, just disabled by default. I just found it in the gesture options.
Yeah, I thought about that immediately after I posted it. By default it just used to show all open windows in one huge grid. I could have sworn there was a way to show open windows grouped by application in the old Expose (separate from the 'application expose' feature) but perhaps I was just dreaming.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I thought you weren't supposed to let your HD get over like 85-90% full? Or does that not affect SSDs?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
What do you mean non-upgraded/migrated accounts? I'm running a fresh install of Lion and haven't run into any issues at all.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

SERIOUS posted:

So I found a potential bug in Lion:

I have my display set to go to sleep in one minute (I'm weird like that). It completely ignores that. I have nothing running that would hold up the sleep process.

Back to Snow Leopard today, until this stuff is sorted out in a patch.
You have something running that would hold up the process.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Mex posted:

After about a day or two of using Safari, not restarting the Mac, with around 3 to 8 tabs, is it normal for it to use huge amounts of memory?

Activity monitor says "Safari Web Content" is holding 800mb of memory, and Safari itself 500mb. I have 4gb of ram so it's not a big deal but it does slow down sometimes when browsing.
No, it's completely normal. If it bothers you that much, restart Safari.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

What I find funny is that almost nobody (myself included) noticed that Apple changed the drag behavior until Lion. Was there something new they put into the sidebar that all of us tried to drag out?
They changed it mid SL actually. With the prevalence of trackpads these days it's not really that uncommon to accidentally drag something off the sidebar (or anywhere really), hear that familiar *poof*, and then freak out because you don't even know what you dragged off of there in the first place.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

ndrake posted:

Anyone else notice this lion bug? When I have full screen apps running (safari, iTunes), and quit a program on my primary desktop (say, word) it automatically moves me to full screen safari. It's driving me crazy, every time I quit an app it moves me off of my primary desktop even though I have multiple other things running there (powerpoint, stata, etc).

I don't recall any other version of OSX since I started with 10.3 shipping with so many bugs. I'm sure everyone else is enjoying the wifi bug. How do you break that??
Yeah, not experiencing either of these bugs.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

ndrake posted:

I'm jealous. I'm on macbook air connecting to an airport express (apple gets all my money) and when the computer wakes up it only finds my network 20% of the time. My mbp with snow leopard has no troubles.
Perhaps it's a problem with your Air's wifi connection?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Binary Badger posted:

Never trust 10.X.0 releases..
What does that even mean?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Binary Badger posted:

It means never trust the initial releases of OS X unless you like crashing a lot. Wait for the fixes in later versions.
But I mean in regards to your link. Your link details an update that introduces iCloud functionality for app developers. It doesn't say anything about bugs or bug fixes.......

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Petey posted:

Ok, so you know how when you select and drag a bunch of things in Finder it will (after a second or two of holding it) move and bunch them all up together?
No? What view mode are you using?

Can't replicate this at all with column view.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Hmm, yeah I experience the jumping back and forth, although I have no idea what causes it. I think it's just trying to keep the list contained within the finder window. Hence the fading out (and moving up).

However, it doesn't actually change the position of the cursor at all so it shouldn't really be affecting your movement abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

FamDav posted:

So apparently I had a bunch of items bought over a week or two ago not make it onto my iCloud purchased tab.
While I understand that they should be there (and honestly it's probably just propagating through their database), is it really a big deal that they aren't?

Did you just want a list of all your purchased apps? If you wanted to redownload something couldn't you just search for it and click install?