Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

~Coxy posted:

Right-click the "background" of the window and there will be an eject option.
Alternatively, install Ejector and never have to worry about finding that pesky window that opened in the background somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah a hidden 20-30 gb partition would be absolutely unacceptable when they are shipping notebooks with 64 gb of storage as their "everyone" model now. Good thing that's not the case. Now I can lust after the new air in peace.
It's not 20-30 GB. The only time I've seen a recovery partition that large was on this POS HP my brother got about six years ago.

The real size is maybe 1GB and honestly I'd say it's worth it, especially if you have a computer without an optical drive.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Badger posted:

Pretty interesting article about Internet Recovery mode, another new feature of Lion:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/20/new_macbook_airs_mac_minis_feature_lion_internet_recovery_disc_less_repair.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718
That's pretty sweet. I wonder what they did to make this work?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Echo_ posted:

So what do I change on the trackpad settings so I can two finger swipe for back/forward in chrome?
You can't. I'm guessing that Apple changed the API and so far the only apps that have been adapted to it are Safari and Preview. You can't even use the gesture in Finder for some bizarre reason.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Diabolik900 posted:

Reposting this question in case anyone missed it since it was at the end of a page and this thread is moving pretty fast.
Move your cursor to the bottom of the screen, and then move it down again. Boom, Dock.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

echobucket posted:

So if you want apps that don't support Lion full screen yet to work with Lion, chpwn has come up with a hack.

http://chpwn.com/apps/maximizer.html

I tried it, it works with some of my Cocoa apps, but not all of them behave correctly.

Twitter is hilarious in full screen.

The Finder just goes nuts in full screen.

On a bonus, Firefox, TextMate and Transmit all worked fine.

As well as Adobe Lightroom as long as I put it in a window before I launch it and don't use Lightroom's built in full screen mode.
Ooh, this is nifty. It works with Rdio, too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

duck monster posted:

Question is: Is there any working software that can detect cats on the keyboard and shut it down. Despite my best attempts, my dear kitty still keeps jumping up and down on my laptop at any opportunity (presumably trying to communicate her coordinates to the mothership) and I know there was some software called "Catnip", but that hasn't really worked in some time now, abandonware and all that.
Give KeyboardCleanTool a try. It isn't exactly what you want but it's worth a try.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

coconono posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask...but what's the best media server software for the Mac? I want to watch stuff from my ipad without having to load it up.

I'm using Plex but I am really not digging it at all.
I use and love AirVideo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dazjw posted:

Is anyone else having a problem where Safari (5.1, Lion) decides to reload your tabs when you switch to them? Kind of like using an iPad 1, but more annoying since my MBP has 8GB of ram and most of it is free.
It's a feature, actually. It has to do with the new resume stuff. Some apps allow for an iOS style "suspend" of sorts that basically results in it quitting or dumping one of its processes when OS X deciders it needs more resources. The logic is that you won't notice if an app has quit because as soon as you switch back to it via CMD+Tab or the Dock the resume feature lets the program snap back to life exactly the way you left it.

I'm not sure why it happened on a computer with 8GB of ram though. In my experience, Safari has only let OS X dump its Web Content process once or twice and I'm on a 2010 MBA with 2GB of ram. Could be a bug.

In any occasion, I don't mind the feature much.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I decided that it's time I learned to program in Objective C. Of course, Xcode 4 is fairly new, and all the guides I found use 3.2. No problem, I thought, and proceeded to download and install it. I open up /Developers and… no Xcode app. In fact, the folders are mostly empty.

Ok, no problem, I'll just uninstall and reinstall it. There's even an easy one-line terminal command to uninstall it: sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools –mode=all. Except uninstall-devtools isn't anywhere in that folder. Or on my hard drive anywhere. I tried installing 3.2 again without removing it, thinking that maybe OS X would be smart enough to install the files I was missing, but that didn't help.

So how to I remove Xcode? And will reinstalling it even work on Lion?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

wdarkk posted:

Doesn't 3.2 not actually work with Lion? That might be a problem.
Yeah I'm thinking that might be the issue. So how do I remove it? Or will installing Xcode 4 over it upgrade it?

I would just delete /Developer but doesn't Xcode scatter little bits over the OS?

Gordon Cole posted:

Umm, did you not think to try looking in /Developer/Applications to find Xcode before doing all this wacky stuff? If you downloaded Xcode 4 through the app store it would be in your dock or launchpad anyways.

I doubt 3.2 will work with Lion. I don't really know what the best way to undo all the stuff you did is, you can probably get away with trashing the /Developer folder. If you got Xcode through the app store, you should have an app called Install Xcode or whatever inside /Applications that you can run. Otherwise just redownload that through the app store.

edit: Oh I see, you were trying to install 3.2 from the beginning. That's your problem -- it probably just doesn't work with Lion. Just get Xcode 4, it shouldn't be too hard to translate most of what you find on Xcode 3 to 4. If you get stuck, Apple's documentation is pretty good and should be up to date.
I didn't install 4, I installed 3.2 from the .dmg I downloaded from the Dev center. I guess I should have assumed that it wouldn't work with Lion, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 25, 2011

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tried that. uninstall-devtools isn't in my /Developer folder, or anywhere on my hard drive.

Oh well, another three hours until Xcode 4 is done downloading. :smith:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vertigus posted:

Has anyone run into an issue where you can't delete applications by dragging them to the trash can? I had to go into the Applications folder in Finder and do a right-click -> delete to get rid of them.
I was actually having issues with this in Snow Leopard, too. I think if an installer program put them in the folder, the user can't drag it to the trash or CMD+delete it without an administrative password.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

passionate dongs posted:

For the record, Xcode 3.2.5 works fine in Lion.
Did you install it on Lion or Snow Leopard?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, from what I can tell if you already had it installed when you upgraded to Lion it works fine but only 4 will install properly on Lion for some strange reason. Oh well.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accipiter posted:

I am really loving hating that they did away with "Save As..." because now doing things like adjusting the size of a scanned image in Preview and trying to save it to the desktop is COMPLETELY GODDAMN IMPOSSIBLE without jumping through eight hundred hoops. Rather than just opening the file in Preview, adjusting the size, and choosing "Save As...", you've got to do some hokey horseshit to duplicate the file, make your changes, then "Save..." the file the way you want it and delete the original from wherever the gently caress.

And it took a bunch of monkeying with "Duplicate" and "Save a Version" to even figure out how to get it to do what I need. And this Version saving poo poo is also awful, since you adjust the size, save a version, and then close/reopen Preview only for it to pop open everything you'd already closed and TRIED to adjust.

I can't stand this bullshit.

I dunno, it makes sense to me and it's only an extra step. Make changes to the file, hit duplicate, then save the duplicate to the desktop. If you want to keep the original the way it is, Preview (and other apps) allow for that—it even pops up a dialog asking you what you want to do with the original when you duplicate it. Not that you need to worry about that, because even if you do accidentally save modifications to the original you can always pop open versions and revert it.

If you close the windows before you quit, it shouldn't pop them back open when you open the program again.

Mu Zeta posted:

So much bitching. After reading the last 20 pages I'm definitely holding off on upgrading my iMac to Lion. Snow Leopard has been fine and I have no complaints. I can put Lion on the laptop to play around with it though. It's not like Lion really adds much for desktop users.
Well, it depends on the person. Do you fear change? Stick with Snow Leopard.

Are you comfortable with changes that are awkward and annoying at first, but are better in the long run? Go with Lion.

I was unsure about disappearing scrollbars, "natural" scrolling, Versions, Restore, etc. at first but I've come to find that they're all pretty awesome features to have.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 27, 2011

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pertplus posted:

I noticed that Cyberduck downloads much more than it needs to when transferring files from a server to my comp. Is there a way I can fix this or is this just something that happens with FTP clients?

So how is Royal Pains, anyway?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astro7x posted:

So... I use to have this feature in Snow Leopard, is it gone?

I could hold Control and scroll the mouse wheel to zoom into the screen. Now that function is gone, but I've noticed "Smart Zoom" where I can double tape withe one finger and it will zoom into the screen. This is fine with the Magic Mouse, but I can't do that with a Mighty Mouse, or any other mouse for that matter. WTF... the feature is so incredibly helpful when showing somebody a screen from across the room, and you can't use "double tap to zoom" on things like Finder or the Control Panel for example.
I control + trackpad scroll works fine for me, perhaps it somehow got disabled when you upgraded?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What I find funny is that almost nobody (myself included) noticed that Apple changed the drag behavior until Lion. Was there something new they put into the sidebar that all of us tried to drag out?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cold Sprunk posted:

Anyone used bootcamp for Windows 7? How do you like it? I may try it on my 2011 Macbook Pro so I can gaming purposes...
Works great on my 2010 MBA but make sure to give it enough room, it's currently kinda cramped on my 20 GB partition (I have Steam & all related games installed on an external drive).

[Edit: The trackpad drivers suck giant donkey dick though. Thankfully I only boot into Windows to play games (read: TF2) so I'm using my Razer Naga anyway.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 15, 2011

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sooooo my adventures with 10.7.1 were going smoothly… until I tried to open Preview. Bounce, bounce, bounce, crash, bug report pops up. So far I've repaired permissions and rebooted, but neither helped. Anyone else got this issue or have any idea how to fix it?

[Edit: Pulled an old copy of Preview from a 10.7.0 Time Machine backup and it launches and works just fine. For what it's worth, they both have the same version number (5.5.1) but the app fliesize is ever-so-slightly different; the one in my Applications folder that isn't launching is 42,156,532 bytes while the one that I pulled from the backup is 42,074,274 bytes. Strange.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 18, 2011

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good idea, didn't work. Guess I'll just have to remember to launch Preview from the desktop from now on…

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Maybe delete the save state cache for Preview so it doesn't try to resume?
Just tried it, didn't work. I'll probably just rename/move the broken Preview app and throw the older one in the Application folder and then forget about the whole thing until another update breaks it again.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So i've been experiencing an issue with my (brand new!) 2014 MPBR and Safari 8 (I upgraded to Yosemite as soon as I created an account) where the computer is still working (so not completely frozen) but it won't accept input from the trackpad or keyboard. I've been through a few different troubleshooting steps, including changing the resolution back from 1440x900 to whatever "best for retina" is, disabling adblock and click to flash, and uninstalling Flash, but I can reliably replicate the issue even after all that by simply loading a page on YouTube. I've had it happen on both video pages as well as playlist pages. I know the computer isn't completely freezing because the screen updates (the video plays) but I can't interact with the computer for about 5 seconds.

It also sometimes happens when I open System Preferences, but not every time.

When I replicate the issue in Safari with Activity Monitor open, I have noticed that Activity Monitor freezes for a second or two; when it refreshes, kernel_task jumps to the top reporting ~15% processor usage.

Chrome plays and browses YouTube just fine.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dik-dik posted:

I have the exact same problem. Do you use Chrome, by any chance? I notice if I'm using my computer for any amount of time, Activity Monitor starts filling up with Google Chrome Helper (Not Responding) processes, which I can only get rid of my rebooting. So far I'm just rebooting my computer at least once a day and it's mostly useable but I'd really rather not have to do that.

Dumb question but did you check to see if they were still there after you closed chrome? I tried force quitting a couple of them myself and that resulted in various extensions and/or tabs closing.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Macys posted:

Hoooly poo poo; Yosemite is the most gently caress-ugly garbage I've ever seen.

Is there any way to get rid of that loving eye-sore grey poo poo surrounding my dock?
Or to re-skin Safari so it doesn't look like faded unbolded poo poo?
And where in the gently caress did List mode go in iTunes? Some of us actually like looking at their poo poo in single file.
If I wanted a loving spread of album squares I would have bought Windows loving 8.

They looked so much better before.

Have you tried enabling "Use dark menu bar and Dock" under General in System Preferences? That way you get dark grey poo poo surrounding your dock instead of light grey poo poo surrounding your dock, which may be more to your liking:

Also the menu bar looks pretty baller too:

Both of those images are taken from Siracusa's review because I don't feel like screenshotting my desktop.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Milkman posted:

Hopefully now that Yosemite is out devs will actually get on making menu bar icons for dark mode. That and the AWFUL folder icon color are the only things that really bother me.

I've installed a few third party apps that place poo poo in the menubar. Radiant Player and Gears For Google Music, Creative Cloud, Twitter, and Chrome all handle the dark menu bar properly. The only app that hasn't so far is OneDrive, which I can live with (if I really want to make sure that it's actually syncing I can just click on the blank space where the icon should be and see it there).

Dark menu bar is for pro tier users, only scrubs keep their menu bar blind-your-eyes white :smuggo:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

spongeworthy posted:

So I just received my rMBP 13", making the switch from a MBP 15". This is going to be a difficult move losing so much screen real estate I feel.

This More Space option that "Looks like 1680*1050" (Give people real options, Apple) is -not- Retina, correct?

And, the advertised 2560*1600 is just Apple-speak for their pixel-doubled default 1280*800?

I obviously haven't kept up on these things over the past couple years since it didn't apply to me until now.

I have scarily good vision and the 1680*1050 on a 13" is going to have to do I guess, but I wonder if I'm losing out on any other "Retina" benefits.

The pixels are so small that you won't notice a difference. I'm using the "More Space" option right now and everything looks super sharp, so much so that even tiny text like this submission box that I'm currently typing in (it's roughly an 8pt font) can be read easily. Sometimes I think I've capitalized an "i" but didn't and can't tell the difference because of how small the text is, but that's my only issue with this resolution setting.

Well, that and there's a pretty significant performance loss from running Dolphin while I have the computer resolution increased, but I'm not really surprised by that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toe Rag posted:

Thanks.. I changed that setting, and my computers started to show up, but they still wouldn't work. They are now, though. Not sure if it's from rebooting/upgrading or just needed time to think about it :shobon:

Has anyone tried making a phone call from their Mac? It's surprising awful. There needs to be a phone app. You can't type a number into Spotlight and call from there. The only way to call is either call from your contacts, or right click a number on a website/email/whatever. If you want to dial a number, you'll need to open TextEdit (or something similar), type the number in there, and then right-click to call. The lack of dial pad makes it impossible to dial into a bridge too. I have a bridge number saved in my contacts, but the "dial ####.." option that shows up on my iPhone is absent on the little continuity bubble in the top-right. I transfer the call to my phone so I can dial into the bridge, and then I can't transfer it back to the Mac.

Am I missing something here?

Shamelessly stealing the headline, but here's the phone dialer Apple should have included with Yosemite.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

vtlock posted:

Right click on the app, choose "show package contents," open the resources folder, and then swap the mac-normal and mac-normal-inverse icons.

For anyone wondering, OneDrive doesn't have those sort of icons... so I made my own. Here's a link to a folder of them, which also includes the originals, so that you can replace them easily if something goes wrong. It's the same location as the Dropbox example above, just drag and drop them in and choose "replace".

Make sure to quit OneDrive first before updating the icons, of course.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

My new rMBP came with Mavericks before I slammed Yosemite onto it as fast as possible. Mavericks looks like absolute rear end now.

Yeah, when I got my rMBP I was marveling at how awesome it looked and remembered how much I liked OS X for its design... then Yoesmite finished downloading and installed and GOD:drat:.

The retina display definitely makes it look better, too. I've considered installing a Windows 8 VM to see how it looks in comparison but can't really afford this disk space. Curse my unwillingness to spend an extra $200 to double the storage (really I should just look into sticking some of my larger apps (Garageband, Photoshop) onto an external drive and go from there).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

spongeworthy posted:

I don't really mind the UI but the font looks like complete poo poo on this retina screen.

That's odd, the fonts look fine to me. Microsoft apparently released an update back in 2012 to support retina resolutions. Some of the UI uses old images that look lovely, but the actual fonts that you type with and all that look fine.

Is it possible that "Open in Low Resolution" is selected in the program's Get Info pane?

That said, I hope that the rumors about Office 365 coming to Mac are true, because the new interface is awesome and having to go back to the mess that is 2011 was disappointing. I've been using Pages and Scrivener for the time being (which has been nice, actually, I may not go back).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 28, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

spongeworthy posted:

Hmm that update doesn't seem available through the program itself. Downloading the 14.2.4 update separately. Thanks

The latest version is 14.4.5, but I'm not sure it's available on The Pirate Bay Microsoft's site.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the Office apps should auto update unless someone's taken specific measures to disable it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh cool, Microsoft released Outlook 2015 for OS X.

*downloads DMG*

*Installer says that it will take 701.1 MB of space*

:staredog:

*...installs it anyway*

[Edit: Well, it seems to work! No keyboard shortcuts for Archiving in Gmail (not that I expected there to be...). Thankfully you can make your own and Command+Control+A isn't used.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 31, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dirtyfrog posted:

I had a link recently to a good guide on installing Windows to an external hard drive, which appeals as I'd only use it rarely so don't want to give up disk space for bootcamp. Buggered if I can find the link again though, and my google-fu is just finding info on formatting drives so they can be read on both. Anyone done this recently?

Here's a link to the guide I used: http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.fr/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html

It was way easier than I expected (and works fantastically), though it does require access to a Windows computer or a virtualized Windows install on your Mac. I should note that the guide did get one small fact wrong--when you boot from the external, there's no need to wait for the chime to press the option key. You can press and hold it as soon as the computer shuts down and it'll boot into the boot drive picker.

Also a quick (I guess fairly obvious) side note that isn't covered in the guide: after holding down option while booting you'll see three drives; your Mac's HD, one labeled Bootcamp, and one labeled EFI. You'll want to select Bootcamp to boot to Windows, since EFI, well, takes you to Windows' EFI menu. Once or twice the EFI drive has appeared before Bootcamp drive did; just wait a few seconds and the Bootcamp drive should appear.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 20, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dirtyfrog posted:

Thanks guys, japtor's links look a little more straightforward so I'm gonna give that a try.

They're a little easier. In my case I didn't want to do Bootcamp in the first place (I already filled too much of my SSD before wanting to run Windows) and installing Windows to... install Windows seemed backwards to me. But then again I had a Windows PC to use, so that made it easy for me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

decypher posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right.

The AppleCare tech must've had dark mode enabled as well cause she able to see it straight away. Didn't even think of Dark mode, thanks man.

For what it's worth, I have both enabled and it looks fine:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So the latest update has solved my two big bugaboos with Yosemite on my 2014 rMBP: lagging animations (zoom and showing/hiding the dock is smooth again!) and Window server is now using a reasonable amount of CPU at non-Retina resolutions. Pretty happy here.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slowhanded posted:

I use radiant player as I had some weird bugs with fluid. Feel free to stick with it if it works for you.

I really liked Radiant Player but it kept on using an abnormal amount of my CPU, to the point where if I tried to skip a song it would beachball for about 15 seconds, so I switched to Gear. It's not perfect--finding All Access tracks is a pain, so I still do most of my library management through a browser--but when it comes to shuffling my Google Play library it works just fine. Media keys work with it too, though it uses a third party program called Media Keys to hijack them (and occasionally I have to hit the buttons twice for them to work).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

The closest you'll probably see is that music & video streaming get a new app and everything else stays the same.

I can't see Apple abandoning iTunes anytime soon, what's much more likely is that they'll roll Beats streaming into iTunes and call it iTunes Radio Plus or something like that.