Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn
Just installed Lion...

Using the reversed scroll thing with the magic trackpad is not bad at all. It actually makes a strange kind of sense.

Safari is MUCH more responsive. I don't know why. It was terribly sluggish and occasionally didn't even load pages on 10.6.whatever version it was yesterday. It felt like using Opera when you tell it to "load new page data every 20 seconds".

iTunes looks better for some unknown reason.

Still fiddling with it, but it is a definite improvement. I'm a new Apple user, but this has made me a bit of a fan. Then again, it kinda frightens me to think of how cruddy Safari might have been for the last 9 years or so for the rest of you.

The full screen option is awesome considering the maximize button doesn't actually maximize some windows the way Windows does it.

edit: the scrollbar can be turned on in the preferences...

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

carry on then posted:

Aww, the new version of Safari got changed the behavior of the back button. It used to do something (always rerun scripts?) that meant unread post counts were accurate when backing into thread lists. Now, it shows the old count like Firefox does, meaning to get the updated counts, I have to hit refresh. The new features are nice otherwise, but that one feature made browsing the forums even nicer. Is there a reason for the new behavior?

I thought the old behavior made the browser run like poo poo.

At least now Safari doesn't crap out on me when I hit the Back button. Or the Refresh button. On a 600k down connection.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Radnor posted:

In what browser? Safari listens to two-finger swipes for forward & backward, as three fingers moves across Spaces. Chrome doesn't seem to listen to anything (yet) beyond scrolling up and down.

I actually like the two finger swipe for backward & forward. If I'm already navigating up and down with two fingers, why not go left and right with two?

Lion is really making me feel like I did the right thing by buying a Mac (2 weeks ago) after being a Windows user since 3.1. I also like how Safari now jumps to the last post like all the other browsers do.

Having the option to swipe in some way to switch between tabs would also be nice, but maybe I'm asking for too much here.

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 21, 2011

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Ziploc posted:

What about when someone breaks your tables?

EDIT: I wish Safari had an awesome bar.

Use the arrow keys?

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Dan Hollis posted:

I've yet to see a solution, and it defeats the purpose of a launchpad for me.

Hmmm... I'm not entirely getting the launchpad love.

Hitting Command + Spacebar seems to work much better.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Crowley posted:

Two things I hate about the new Safari.

1: I remembers what sites I had open when I close it, and insists on going there again. I just want it to start with my actual start page, dammit!

I think Safari was one of the few browsers that didn't have that feature as an option until very recently.

You can also hit Command + W until all your sites are closed then open Safari again.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

DirtyWorker posted:

Love having it fullscreen. It's only a three-finger swipe away. :P Which is also a really good reason why using anything other then Lion after this will bring tears to my eyes.

Well, most browsers, including Internet Explorer have the full screen option.

And why is it that Lion only seems to recognize my router's 2.4ghz broadcast and not the 5ghz one? I mean, it shows the 5ghz one...SOMETIMES, but very rarely. I have it configured to use both so it's a moot point, but what's going on here?

I also decided to decrypt my iMac. Doesn't seem to have much of a point if I'm not using it on a portable device...

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 21, 2011

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn
Weird. I have a mouse and a trackpad, but when I configure the mouse to not use natural scrolling and the trackpad to use natural scrolling and close the configuration, it automatically assigns natural scrolling to both devices.

What if I don't want this?

edit: as for why I have both...games.

Safari also doesn't seem to auto-forward me when posting.

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 21, 2011

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Zwille posted:

Me too, mid-2009 MBA. Things run a teensy bit sluggish too, sometimes, but overall I think the benefits outweigh the lost battery life. Maybe I even just need to recalibrate the battery.

Either way I'll probably be getting one of the new Airs as soon as I have the money.

I wonder if they programmed Lion to do this just to get people to buy new laptops.

I have an iMac and iPhone, and love the things, but I can't help but notice that Apple isn't held to the same antitrust/antimonopoly rules that Microsoft are. In other words, if Microsoft did a lot of the things that Apple does, they would get slammed really, really hard by the government.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn
^^^^ - Not yet. I asked the same question. Nada.

Zwille posted:

I sure hope that's the case. I kept hearing around these parts that OS upgrades actually make better use of older hardware, and this - coupled with the slight performance problems and that the guy with the Mr Tingle avatar says white plastic Macs don't take the upgrade well - makes a good case against it. But yeah, in general, the improvements are certainly worth the bit of sluggishness and if that's gone with the next few patches, that's just an added bonus.

Sometimes the price of progress involves eliminating the weak links. Imagine what it would be like if butterflies were still capable of destroying our computers.

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 23, 2011

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn
I'm only asking this question because I've only become a mac user 2 weeks ago: Can I only play the latest and greatest games by installing Windows via Boot Camp?

This isn't exactly life ending, and I love having the option of using both operating systems, but the games for mac seem horribly old.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn
Since this is the Mac Software thread, I'm curious about something.

Is there any particular reason to get Photoshop Extended over regular Photoshop?

I always get the regular version of Photoshop and for the most part it does what I need (I use it mostly for recreational reasons). Then again, Extended does increase the price by a considerable amount and I'm wondering if it is worth it.

edit: I've also noticed that programs deleted from the Applications folder do NOT get removed from the Launchpad. That has a lot of potential to get really annoying, especially since you can't remove dead links from the launchpad.

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 24, 2011

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

theperminator posted:

I've found that If you don't empty the trash it'll stay in Launchpad, but once you empty trash it is removed.

That didn't work for me. I also tried rebooting.

I suppose I'll just have to deal with having a bunch of programs pretending to exist. Like ghosts. Or maybe it is just a Steam thing. It's not enough that the games are half a decade old, it has to ruin my Launchpad, too.

Is there any way to get iBooks running on my iMac, or do I have to use Kindle? If I have to use Kindle, then why the hell do I have iBooks at all? (It's like a choice between reading books on ALL of my Apple devices, or SOME of my devices; clearly Apple didn't think this one through)

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

wolffenstein posted:

Currently there is no iBooks app for Mac, only iOS devices. I suggest providing Apple with your feedback.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Done.

They're missing out on some money here. Sure, it's probably chump change in the scheme of things, but Amazon is collecting what Apple could be getting.

edit: Unless this is part of Apple's master plan for making their desktops less useful and eventually phasing them out. Honestly, I wouldn't mind using just an iPad if I could use it for Office (word/powerpoint/etc) and Photoshop stuff. I think Photoshop could work with a stylus.

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 24, 2011

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Hello Spaceman posted:

Haven't seen this being mentioned yet. It's quite easy to miss, but pretty goddamn handy.

Right click on a video or audio file. See that option right at the bottom?
It's definitely not for something I have installed. So I clicked it.

And then this pops up:

That is interesting. Thank you so much for that bit of information.

I remember in Windows it was a very complex procedure involving numerous 3rd party applications.

I still wouldn't mind finding something like dvdfab for mac, though. I have a bunch of dvd's that are not on iTunes.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

duck monster posted:

More like hiding C:/Program Files/ Theres lots of stuff in there that needs to be manipulated in regular maintainance of a machine, in my experience.

Really?

Like what?

I just backup my important files and reinstall everything at yearly intervals. Windows is still pretty terrible in some regards. (I even do this for things like my iPhone, but hopefully I won't have to do this for my Mac... we'll see)

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

dazjw posted:

An hour spent doing that's quicker than a clean install + migrating all your stuff.

I'm not sure I see how that's easier.

Isn't it better to start clean and move your stuff over instead of starting dirty, moving your stuff over, and then cleaning things that shouldn't be breaking your system?

edit: I'm new to the mac world, so my apologies if I don't understand the logic being applied here.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

dazjw posted:

What would really be better is if there had been some tool I could've used so I could see what my system was doing while booting up or loading Finder and see that plugin/library X is taking an entire minute to do something, or whatever.

There is an Activity Monitor.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn
I just got an email from the guys at dvdfab. Apparently they are coming out with a mac version very soon, as in a few months.

And here I was giving serious consideration to installing windows on my mac just so I could backup my dvd's.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

amf5 posted:

I don't like it, it doesn't add any appreciable new functionality, and it's implemented terribly. It's only "the new way of doing things" for two applications. The "feature" is the one who sucks, why should I change the way I've been doing things for like 20 years?

You must have forgotten how absolutely terrible the Mac OS was 20 years ago... (up until OS X, there was really no difference in quality between the Mac OS and Windows Millenium)

They say that when people age they tend to only remember the good things and they forget the bad things.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

lord funk posted:

Lion looks like fun, but I think I speak for all the Snow Leopard holdouts when I say :smug:

I'm actually having no issues with Lion. :smugissar:

Well, I think I will pick up a copy of windows 7 just so I can use dvdfab. It's really the only thing that the mac doesn't truly have an equivalent for. That and modern games, but...

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 4, 2011

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

SERIOUS posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to go back to Snow Leopard on my computer for the forseeable future.

I think I'm going to go back to OS 9 on my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

coldplay chiptunes posted:

what

He's that guy that thought Windows 98 was a downgrade from Windows 95.