Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

No. 6 posted:

I seem to have finally figured out how to get all of my standard folders (Inbox, Spam, Sent, Trash) working with the exception of Archive.

All of the guides I find online basically have you trading delete option for archive. Is mail.app gimped in the same way as the iOS mail application where I must manually move things from my inbox to 'All Mail' when I want to archive.?
All of my GMail folders work and I'm pretty sure I have a default configuration. I remember in earlier versions (Snow Leopard maybe) you had to fiddle with the IMAP prefix and all that but now it just works. If you set up your GMail pre-Lion, try a fresh configuration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

korora
Sep 3, 2011
The next step is to remap Caps Lock to be a dedicated QS/Launchbar/Alfred button using PCKeyboardHack. Why push something twice when you could push something once?

korora
Sep 3, 2011

fartmanteau posted:

I don't think this has been brought up yet. I updated my 2013 Air to Mavericks the day it came out. Now I'm getting this intermittent thing where there's no sound when I wake from sleep. The output device is still there, and it switches from Internal Speakers (built-in) to headphones as normal, but there is no output.

Restarting fixes it, but that really sucks. Before the updates my uptime was at more than two months.

Sounds like it's being discussed, but no fixes yet.

Also try sudo killall coreaudiod, which has fixed weird audio problems for me in the past.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So I'm traveling for the first time with my new rMBP and I'm wondering if Excel is supposed to be pretty slow. It lags noticeably doing simple things like inserting columns and doing a cmd-c of a section of cells results in a ~2 second pin wheel. All of these things are near instant on all of my Windows devices, even far less powerful laptops.

Is this just Microsoft being lovely? It's Office 2011 (which is the latest version, right?) but it's almost unusable for me. I'm assuming Numbers is pretty efficient but I'm not sure how well it will handle large and complex spreadsheets.

Any ideas?

I've seen this before. Excel is really picky about the state of your installed fonts. Try these instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/message/21833302#21833302.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Though, that said, if I'm already married to MS Word because of EndNote, would Pages be a better solution? Odds are good I'll continue to draft the raw text in Word just because of EndNote, so maybe I'd be better served with software that focuses on layout instead.
For journal articles LaTeX produces much better-looking output and Google says it works with EndNote (I use BibTeX so I can't speak to it personally). There is some learning curve but honestly for most things LaTeX is really easy and anything that's not easy is easily Googleable. In my experience most journals have a .tex template and accept PDFs but I have heard that varies depending on your field. You could always write in TeX and pandoc to a docx.

korora
Sep 3, 2011
Does anyone know of good intermediate video-editing software? Something between iMovie and Final Cut in both cost and capabilities. Basically I'm looking for the Pixelmator of video editors.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

carry on then posted:

It's not really a Pixelmator esque product, but would Premiere Elements be something you're after?

the_lion posted:

When you say pixelmator, I'm guessing you're looking for cheap. Davinci resolve, the newest version has editing tools I think. Also it's free for 1080p projects.

It's a bit higher end in capabilities, just skip the colour grading stuff if it doesn't interest you. I've never edited in it so hopefully it's not a "I wish I'd bought premiere" moment.
Really what I'm looking for is something that is lightweight without being dumbed-down, if such a thing exists. My wife is a performer and currently uses iMovie to edit video of her work, but it hasn't really suited her needs since the iMovie '08 rewrite.

Premiere Elements seems like it maybe has the same problems iMovie does in terms of overly holding your hand and being full of unnecessary "Hollywood" transitions and effects, but I see there's a free trial so it's probably worth checking out.

Davinci Resolve looks a bit heavy and I don't think it will run on her mid-2012 MBA (whereas it does meet the system requirements for Final Cut Pro) but I'll give that a shot too.

korora
Sep 3, 2011
This seems too obvious but have you tried dragging the gray circles above the movie clip icons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

korora
Sep 3, 2011

LPG Giant posted:

Yeah that increases/decreases the amount of speeding up/slowdown. I fixed it by splitting the clip right before it speeds up again, and this new clip I then slowed down. Also a workaround, but at least I didn't have to go back to the phone it was shot with.
OK, here's how you do it. After you drag the clip into your timeline, look at the toolbar above the playback window. There's a button that looks like a speedometer that should be turned orange. Click on that, then select Speed: Slow. To get your full slow motion effect, click on Auto in the bar with speed % options (or put in 12% as a custom speed).

You can also turn off the default behavior in Preferences > "Apply slow motion automatically" but it doesn't really save you any time because then you still have to enable slow motion for your clips.