Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
In macOS is there any way to apply an equalizer or even just treble/bass adjustments to the audio output? The only thing I can find relates to audio from the Music app only. I have an M1 iMac and I can't stand the built in sound, it seems like there are layers of processing added to the sound to make it sound more "full" but it just ends up making everything sound compressed and unpleasant. Alternatively I wish I could turn off that processing if it is there.

Also, is there any way to speed up OS animations like minimizing, maximizing, pop up prompts, etc, other than disabling animations and movement? I've found some terminal command lines online but nothing seems to actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Thank for the EQ recommendations earlier in the thread!

And the scrolling recommendations. I can't stand the Magic Mouse and the fact that you can't force macOS to treat a regular scroll wheel as "1 wheel click = X number of lines" like Windows is probably the most frustrating thing about macOS for me. It attempts to simulate touch scrolling, but my brain always interprets it as input lag.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My initial impression with Sonoma is that my M1 iMac feels more snappy and responsive than it ever has, so so far I'm happy with it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Perplx posted:

It feels like the early iPhone when they had hardcoded transition animations and slowly lowered the duration of the years.

Yeah. Some of them on Mac were way too drawn out for my tastes especially when windows transitions are like 3 frames long.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've had a 24" M1 iMac for two years now and I barely use it. Every time I try to force myself to use it I get hung on on one thing: the loving mouse pointer control in macOS sucks absolute poo poo.

At first I thought it was just the Apple Magic Mouse, and while that is the worst mouse I have ever used, it isn't just that. I have tried several different mice, Logitech's Logi+ app, 3rd party github mouse pointer apps. Nothing. The mouse acceleration always feels unnatural to me, causing me to over or undershoot the things I want to click constantly, no matter the settings. The scrolling, since they refuse to give you "one mouse wheel click = X number of lines no matter what" as an option, always feels laggy and jumpy. The hacks that attempt to override this only result in the scrolling being even more jumpy and sporadic.

Any other suggestions before I give up and sell this thing?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

Steermouse. It's 20 bucks, which is a little ridiculous for something that should have just been a few settings in the OS to start with, but it does exactly what you're asking for here and does it well. I've been using it happily for years.

I'll give this a shot since it has a free trial, but I've tried a few recommended github programs that I can't recall the name of that look just like this with the same options. The newest Logi Options+ combined with the MX Anywhere 3S (a very good mouse though a little overpriced) also more or less does this.

Basically macOS forces scroll acceleration on you in an attempt to make mouse wheels feel like touch scrolling. I don't want that, if I rotate the mouse wheel one click, then I want that to always move the page the same distance. In Windows, you define this by number of lines per mouse wheel rotational click which I set to "5". That way, when you spin the mouse wheel faster, the page scrolls faster in a consistent way. Every single thing I've tried that attempts to fix this ends up making it feel like the fix is fighting the macOS scroll behavior.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

There's a Steermouse setting for exactly that. I use it myself, and it's the only thing I've found that actually works and doesn't run into the problems you describe.

Oh nice. I’ll get this a try then, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Tokit posted:

The mouse cursor polling rate/acceleration in macOS is absolutely loving terrible and has been a problem for years if you search online.

I had a macbook air m1 for a month with this same problem and returned it for this exact reason, wasted over 2 weeks of my time trying to make the mouse cursor not feel like hot garbage to no luck. Same thing you and lots of other people you find searching online have gone through. Changing mice, messing around with settings, downloading (lmao at paying for) one of those lovely apps like steermouse, which didn't work for me.

There is a big reddit write up post on it that was super informative but I can't find it again. It was a pretty long post breaking down why the person thinks it was happening and boils down to bluetooth in the M chips being poo poo/bugged/broken. It didn't have many solutions but using a mouse wired/2.4ghz wireless dongle instead of wireless over bluetooth. But you didn't say if you were using a bluetooth mouse or not and I find it hard to believe that it would fix the problem anyway.

The summary of the reddit post was the dude saying it has been a problem for a long time and he is hard pressed to think that apple is going to fix this anytime soon, which I agree with. I imagine they don't see it as a problem. That too and most of the time you search online for the problem people constantly say stuff like 'feels fine to me' or 'why are you using a gaming mouse on a mac?' to 'just use the trackpad lol'

I kind of want to get a m3 macbook air, because passively cooled computing baby. But I just know this bullshit will still be there. Not interested in putting up with my primary input of the computer being gimped for such an expensive system.

In my opinion just sell it, you said you don't use it anyway and used macs do a good job of holding their value.

I have definitely considered that it could just be brainworms from using Windows for 30 years that makes me hate mouse pointer control on macOS, but good to know I'm not alone.

The refusal to allow you to turn off mouse wheel acceleration is baffling to me, though very on-brand with Apple I guess.

I might sell it. What's the best way to sell an iMac? I'd rather not do eBay, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace.