Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

I'm a Mac Hole. Yes... I do like Macs up the ass.
I am part of the ETCE (Ethical Treatment of Consumer Electronics).
Now go shove an apple up your ass... you'll see....
I have been looking for a decent Mac Remote desktop client.

What I want to accomplish: I want to be able to access my work machine from my home computer while keeping the work screen private.

Solutions I have looked into so far.

1. Logme in: log me in has a feature called "blank screen" however, this feature only works with windows clients. the problem with this is that if i'm at home and remoting into my work machine, people can see everything I'm doing on the machine im remoting into.

2. Splash top: Same problem, it works great, except my screen is not blanked out.

I have looked into Apple Remote Desktop, and I know they have a "security screen" feature. However ARD is around 70 dollars, and I was hoping there was a different solution.

I could always set up a SSH connection, but that doesn't allow me to launch the programs on my work machine, that would only allow me to access files.

I have not tried "Back to my Mac" via I cloud yet. I'm concerned about security using Back to My Mac.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or could suggest a VNC client that had the blank screen security feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why? It does exactly what you want and I don't see why it wouldn't be secure.

Illogically I am a little paranoid using my apple cloud login. I will try it, and report back.

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

echobucket posted:

If this is mac only, the built in screen sharing now allows you to use a "Virtual" screen. While in this mode, the remote mac just stays at the lock screen.

I have tried setting this up, and the only way i can get this to work is if i'm logged in as a different user...

For example, If i have USER1 and USER2. I want to access USER1. My mac has to be logged in as USER2, when I try to connect, I can connect as USER1 and access USER1 desktop and the machine stays locked..

However If I am logged in as USER1 and want to access USER1's desktop, If I login the screen does not remain locked(the remote screen)

I don't get the option for a "Virtual" screen either, I get an option saying "Log in as "user2" without interrupting "user1" and view your own desktop"

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

The option seems to be gone in Mountain Lion's Screen Sharing. :wtc:

I know it was there from Leopard through Lion.

Well dip me in ****, that is frustrating. Do you know of any other options Sex Parrot?

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

Right, so it's only useful for multi-user systems now. That's annoying that they'd remove the option.

I agree, I don't understand the reasoning, either. Maybe ill shell out the dough and try ARD, I know they have a secure screen feature. I was just hoping to avoid the 79.99

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I seem to have been bitten by an oddly specific bug that causes audio stuttering in Mountain Lion. Handful of people on the Apple forums have observed it, and no fix in sight. Boo. It makes listening to iTunes and doing basically anything else at the same time unusable. Has anyone else seen this?

EDIT: Strangely enough, a huge contingent of people with the problem seem to be the World of Warcraft forums. So It's probably the going through the OpenGL pipeline that's causing it.

I had some problems initially when I upgraded to mountain lion. Booting to the recovery partition and running repair permissions fixed almost every bug I have experienced so far.

On the computers that I did a fresh install, I haven't experienced many bugs.

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

Going Back to the remote desktop solution.

I tried using Apple remote desktop, and it does exactly what I want. I was able to "lock" the screen. It just seems a little ridiculous to spend 79.99 for the ability to lock or "curtain" the machine being remoted into.

I do have to say that Apple Remote Desktop does work flawlessly with "Back to my Mac" so that is a Plus.

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

wolffenstein posted:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4908

ARD used to cost much, much more.

that is true, if I recall it was over 600 dollars wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone have a favorite network sniffer (that works with wireless) for Mac?

Ever heard of MacPorts? https://www.macports.org
they have a version of Kismet that you can install among other things.