Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN
I plug my Retina MBP into an external display often, and the windows get all jumbled when I do that. I tried to write an Applescript to reposition things, but it's only doing part of what I want and it's buggy. So I was wondering if anyone knows of apps that are designed to help deal with plugging/unplugging from external display.

Also, I would like to be able to press a physical button to lock my computer when I leave my desk. Is there some USB device I can use to trigger an (ugh) Applescript when it's pressed? I feel like there used to be a product that did this. It was like a big silver knob with a glowing blue ring. Pretty sure I didn't make that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN
http://store.griffintechnology.com/powermate

Here's what I was thinking of. Page says it's compatible with 10.9. If it can emulate a keystroke or other way of going to the lock screen that would be perfect. I also would prefer if it didn't control volume at all.

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN
Rad, will order. Thanks!

About the other thing: still haven't tried Moom, but did try Display Maid and it's pretty crappy. Only seems to work about 1/4 of the time.

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN

fordan posted:

vs just using Control-Shift-Eject (or Control-Shift-Power if no eject button)?

My keyboard has neither eject nor power. Also I'll never remember that stupid combination and end up randomly slapping key combinations until I give up and do what I do now (username menu in top right corner)

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN

Mercurius posted:

The other thing you can do is go into Keychain Access->Preferences and turn on 'Show keychain status in menu bar'. It'll put a padlock icon in the menu bar that has a 'lock screen' function that you can get to in two clicks from anywhere. Also has the added benefit that if you've got your screensaver turned off it'll immediately put your screen to sleep.
That's a great tip, thanks. Never thought to look in Preferences of Keychain Access.

About the Powermate, I bought one and had it set up to do exactly what I want in just a couple minutes. Seems pretty sweet so far, I recommend it. (Rather than emulate a keystroke, it runs an Applescript that runs a shell script to go to the lock screen. I even get the fancy cube-rotate animation!)

Hey! fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 1, 2014

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN

flosofl posted:

Sorry for chiming in so late and this may have been mentioned. If you want to lock the screen easily, is there a reason you can't just use "hot corners"? You can have it start the screen saver or sleep and then just make sure the Security is set to lock immediately upon sleep or screen saver.
I know about hot corners, I think they're great! I specifically wanted a physical button I can press when I leave my desk.

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN
I upgraded to Yosemite and it didn't break anything which is actually very surprising to me, but anyway, now when I lock my computer & log back in it does all this poo poo. Repositions/resizes my browser windows, switches back and forth between spaces a couple times, looks like it reloads all the web pages... why? Can I turn this off? It shoves Chrome all the way to the right side of the screen, about 200px wide and like 1000px tall.

Hey! fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN

Kobayashi posted:

How does Virtual Box work with Yosemite? I like Parallels, but I don't use it often enough to justify the upgrade cost.
I just upgraded and all my Vagrant/VirtualBox stuff works with no issue. I just checked, it's VirtualBox 4.3.18 FYI.

Edit: So, this is awesome. VirtualBox works fine but it looks like I need to "vagrant up" every single god drat time I log into my computer after locking it now. IE, your VM gets suspended if you lock your computer for a minute. (All the code I write runs on a VM.) Fuuuuuuuuck :toot:

Hey! fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 18, 2014