Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

kapalama posted:

Is there a Jdownloader replacement for YouTube video downloading, since JDownloader seems to given up being able to download YouTube stuff?

iTube Studio works pretty well, but isn't free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Or you could just take the files you want to keep out of the trash.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Splashtop is my go-to for cross-platform VNC. It isn't free for using outside your LAN but worth the price- has never had any issues connecting back home to my server that's buried behind too many routers out of my control for Apple's Remote Desktop to work.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TheQat posted:

What's the least ugly way to monitor CPU temperature in OSX? Looking at the apps on the app store they seem non-conformant with the UI or goofily bloated (why does one of them have a built-in music player?)

Just looking for a celsius number for each core on the right side of the top bar, really

iStat Menus

efb - but yeah it's the poo poo

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

You could also do something wild like download Adobe Reader.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Preview can do image resizing.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

I keep forgetting if there's an iphone thread but anyway

there's a bunch of free watermark apps on iphone, can anyone recommend one over another?

there is indeed http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668654

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I did a filthy upgrade on both my 2014 MBA and my 2010 Mini and haven't had a single problem on either one.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Having problems with the App Store not completing a download of the El Capitan update (from Mavericks) that was aborted a while ago by a negligent user. I've restarted several times, but the App Store is locked on "Waiting" when I try to resume/complete the downloading. Is there any workaround for this? Unfortunately all of the combined updates O can find for manual updating say they require El Cap to be already installed.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ok thanks, I'll take a look and give that a shot.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Good idea, thank you Grimshak. I don't have access to the computer until this weekend but I'll try these suggestions then.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Choadmaster posted:

Have you tried just deleting the half-downloaded file from your applications folder and then trying the El Capitan download again?

I haven't yet (only see this computer on the weekends) but will give that a shot first.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Just heads up for those of you tired of uBlock Safari not being updated anymore, 1Blocker for Safari is available now. I downloaded it this morning and from what I've tried so far it seems to be as solid as the iOS version, which I know gets recommended a lot in the iOS thread.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

I finally got sick of ad targeting and installed Ghostery on my Mac. Is 1Blocker the thread recommendation?

I think Ghostery gets funding from or was bought out by an ad network, I don't recall which. 1Blocker, however, hasn't been bought out.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Moving my Time Machine backups to a new drive... as simple as setting the new drive up in Time Machine and then drag+copy the backup folder over from the old drive? Or is this something best done by Carbon Copy Cloner?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Great, thanks. Safe to assume backups done by other machines via Server will copy over the same way?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Just get a lightning to HDMI adapter it will do exactly what you're looking for.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Theophany posted:

There's a large middle-Eastern immigrant community where I live so you absolutely must make a distinction between kofte, shish and doner in your takeout menus. I now eagerly await the shwarma menu icon...

I pita the fool...

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Is anyone running High Sierra on a mid-2010 Mac Mini? I have had mine in storage for over a year now and am thinking of setting it back up for some light use but I'm not sure how far to upgrade macOS without getting it bogged down under all the new bells and whistles.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ok thanks, guess I'll give it a go.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

iMovie is easy to use.

Adobe, Vegas, all those other ones are absolutely not intuitive.

Yeah as an entry-level editor it's pretty solid, and definitely easy for kids and not-so-tech-literate folks to pick up without problems.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Shut up, Pivo.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

1Password also lets to save notes, software licenses, and pretty much anything you can put into an encrypted database. Plus easy family/team sharing etc etc etc.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I'm hesitant to upgrade because my work's remote access requires Java support in Safari, and I understand that Safari 12 cans that support... is this correct?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Blah I figured as much - thanks, gang. I'll wait to roll the dank.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Plus haircut reminder upgrade for at least an extra $4.99/mo.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Fusion 11 runs Windows 10 (and 3.11) just fine on my 2014 Mini. I tried Virtualbox at first but found it pretty laggy.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

On my bus commute every morning I see a horrifying number of people watching movies while driving with their phones on dash mounts.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yeah my massive iTunes library moved over just fine.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

The Shield keeps any usb storage awake just fine without needing any help. Maybe this wasn't the case before but it hasn't been an issue for mine in the entire time I have owned it.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

barkbell posted:

what is the good online backup service? i remember backblaze being on a lot of podcasts a decade ago.

Backblaze B2 Works For Me

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

tuyop posted:

iTunes is gone past Mojave, isn't it?

No, it was only renamed to "Music" but is still there along with all of its warts.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

1Blocker now blocks ads beyond the browser if you pay the pro subscription.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Beets + Plex manages all my thousands upon thousands of mp3s just fine. Plexamp on my iPhone plays the sweet jams all night long.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

My sisters and I have our parents on a shared 1Password vault so we can get to their passwords when they forget. Seems to work pretty well, our parents are able to use 1Password without too much problem.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Crunchy Black posted:

Very sorry she won't be getting COVID?????

Or maybe OP is at wits end trying to keep a 5yo on a laptop all day, on top of having to work all night rather than sleep?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

NextDNS blocks well for me, I use it on all my devices.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Warbird posted:

Is there any sane way to get the umpteen thousand “favorite” photos off my wife’s phone and into a NAS? As best I can tell your options are more or less “plug into computer, lol iTunes” and/or “plug into Mac, lol now it’s in a database because deranged perverts made the photo app ecosystem”.

I’m just mass throwing them into a dedicated album on the NAS via Synology’s Photo app but that’s a “dumb” option. I’d be curious to hear if there are better options.

I’ve been using PhotoSync for a long while now to backup my iPhone photos to my Synology… I have it set to upload at 2am each night when the phone is plugged in. It can work with smb/dropbox/backblaze/etc. if you want to keep multiple copies.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

He’s not using it professionally, just his own spreadsheets to track his investments and finances and poo poo (he’s a retired accountant). He doesn’t use pivot charts or adding or macros.

Sounds like he’s only using it to keep track of numbers, not manipulate them via automated functions. Would you agree?

If so then he shouldn’t have any problems with Mac Excel. Opening his existing spreadsheets in Libre or Numbers might mess up the sheet formatting he’s set up, but if he’s ok with adjusting then they would be the cheapest options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Pages and Numbers are good for quick basics but I wouldn’t want to do any professional work with them. I keep a basic family budget sheet in Numbers because it’s easy to share/manipulate amongst our Apple devices. I wouldn’t want to try to do anything beyond basic math functions with it because the interface is so simplified.

Same with Pages, it’s fine for writing a quick letter but beyond that and you’re wandering into pain.