Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

What do you people use for KeePass?

I tried the mono thing and it sucked and then came across this: https://github.com/mstarke/MacPass

I'm not a person that just automatically sees open source and assumes it must be safe but I also don't want to look through the code of that thing. Does anyone else use this software and is it trustworthy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

ZShakespeare posted:

keepassx supposedly uses native code, so there's that.

I thought I tried that too but it's been a while. If I remember correctly, it didn't look right on a retina screen?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Is there anything better than MS Word (but also plays nice with MS word formats) for word processing/page layout/etc? I was going to buy Pages because at 20 bucks it seemed like a good deal but it seems like nobody likes Pages 5.

I specifically need this for long grant proposals/scientific manuscript writing/etc. Part of the problem is that EndNote only works with MS Word, and I rely very heavily on EndNote when I write for citations. If there is a better program that works with the Bestest Mac Wordprocessor, though, I would be interested in considering that too.

I think the new version of MS Office is coming to Mac in March?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

carry on then posted:

Got a link? I'd be curious to read about it, since I hadn't heard anything about a new version of Office:mac at all.

Ah shoot, it was just a rumor.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac-software/microsoft-office-mac-2014-release-date-rumours-leaked-images-3456798/

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is there any free software that converts a Mac Mail mbox file to a PST file?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

What is the best window snap software? I've been looking at Cinch but was wondering if there is anything you guys recommend better?

edit: The closer it resembles Windows, the better. Also if it has the arrow key shortcuts.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

BetterSnapTool is usually the most recommend option around here.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is there a way to completely disable mouse acceleration and mouse scroll inertia but leave the trackpad settings intact?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Slowhanded posted:

I use Smoothmouse for exactly this.

Ah great, it's working for acceleration, however, scroll inertia is still there. Anything else you recommend?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I have a .bash_aliases file in my home directory and it works fine.

However, if I type...

code:
ssh-agent bash
ssh-add
...so that the terminal will remember my ssh key's passphrase, I can no longer use my bash aliases. I'm sure there is a simple solution, anyone know what that might be?

Edit: It appears I can reload them by typing "source ~/.bash_aliases"

kiwid fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 12, 2015

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I need a software recommendation. I need to create a brief training video for some software I wrote.

My idea here is that I'll use OBS to record but rather than recording the entire thing in one go I'll be recording segments that I'd like to stitch together and maybe add some text effects, etc.

Since this is going to be a one-time thing, I'd rather not spend much if anything so can anyone recommend a cheap/free product that is easy enough to use for this?

edit: oh hmm, I didn't know iMovie was free. Would you recommend this?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 2, 2019

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Be aware render times can be radically different depending on hardware. I was testing a 2016 MacBook m7 on whether it was suitable as a lighter replacement for my work machine (it was not, I gifted it to my nephew a month later). I gave up rendering a 17 minute 1080p movie after about 30 minutes (it was nowhere near done). My 2015 15" rMBP (quad-core i7) tore through the entire film in less time.

I'm still running a late 2013 13" MBP. I wonder how bad the render time is going to be.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Question, when I hit CMD+Period, this note? taking app comes up.

Is this built into macOS or is this another app on my system? I can't find it anywhere, and the title bar doesn't show any context.

edit: also I played with it a bit and I can't save notes, so what is this for?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

eightysixed posted:

I just tried it on Monterey and got nothing. It has to be a separate app, I think. Also, it would be a neat little feature, but the whole ‘not able to save’ kind of kills it.

Hmm, I'm on Ventura. Any way to trace this somehow? I looked in activity monitor but there is too much detail in there.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

eightysixed posted:

But how did you accidentally hit CMD + . in the first place? :v:

I fat fingered CMD+comma.

101 posted:

When you open the window does pressing CMD + , open a settings screen? Might give you some more context or end up showing in the dock/menu bar

Raycast popped up. Hmm.

edit: Found it!

kiwid fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 23, 2023

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

How can I find out what application is causing this error everytime I restart?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

Have you looked in your login items? You can try disabling them all and then enabling them one by one until you find the culprit.

Was hoping to avoid that but I suppose I can. Is there not a log somewhere?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Many of these are just to fix bullshit macOS quirks.

LinearMouse to fix mouse accel and stuff.
BetterTouchTool to map some keys.
Cursr to provide context-aware mouse across different resolution screens
noTunes to stop Apple Music from opening when I use my AirPods (like why the gently caress)

kiwid fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 6, 2023

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Ya so I removed my first item, reboot, error went away. Re-added the item just to be sure and still no error. What the gently caress.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Sounds about right. :D

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Do any of you have a subscription to SetApp, and if so do you think it's worth it?

I currently pay for a SetApp sub and while I do have 14 apps installed, the only one that really makes it kind of worth is TablePlus.

Second question, do you guys use CleanMyMac X at all? I don't really use it for the "optimizations" or anything but rather to keep my apps up to date.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Skeezy posted:

I had a SetApp trial for a while but didn't find use for it.

CleanMyMac is junk imo just like CCleaner but you say you're using it for updating apps, for that I've used https://www.corecode.io/macupdater/ before.

This looks awesome, maybe I'll swap this out then.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

tuyop posted:

I use homebrew and it’s free

I do too but usually only for coding/programming stuff. I should probably see if I can use it for everything.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Surprised no one mentioned https://tableplus.com/ yet.

I use it for accessing redis, sqlite, sql server, and mysql. Also it comes with https://setapp.com/ which alone made the subscription worth it for me.

edit: nvm my reading comprehension sucks apparently.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 3, 2024

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Am I stupid or is it painful to edit an image on macOS by default?

I scanned a document (a signature) via the notes app on my phone. AirDropped it to my MacBook. Then I used Adobe Acrobat to export it to a png format.

Now I want to do some basic editing of the file like cropping, making the background solid white, and resizing but the image opens in the "Preview" app that doesn't allow me to edit it. Do I need third party software?

I ended up just doing it all on my Windows laptop via Irfanview but was hoping macOS had comparable software?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've used image resizing on Preview before when making Telegram stickers. Does it not do that now?

There is a pencil icon but it's greyed out. No idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Branch Nvidian posted:

You want to use the icon two icons to the right. The greyed out one is for highlighting and notes in a pdf.

omg...