Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ziploc posted:

Does it need to be 'awake' all the time while in the dock for this to happen? Do MacBooks have the capability to WOL when plugged into ethernet?

Check Energy Saver settings. There should be a wake on LAN option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Macaroni posted:

Dunno about the new ones, but my 2017 model was atrocious. Routinely failed to connect to Bluetooth devices, or dropped connection. And Airplay was just like "No recipients detected, what are you playing at?"

macOS and Mac Software: No recipients detected, what are you AirPlaying at?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I recommend this Firefox addon to block YouTube ads, but you'll need to use Firefox.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Toe Rag posted:

I need to run a piece of Windows software, which I assume is poorly written. It needs to be able read/write via my USB bus (?) to some external hardware! Is Wine appropriate for this? I'm not sure if it would have hardware access, since it is supposed to be only not an emulator. I don't have BootCamp or Fusion.

The way Wine works is it replaces the libraries that windows programs use with versions built to run on the target computer instead. As the replacement libraries are constructed using copyright-safe reverse-engineering techniques, there's sometimes a disconnect between what should happen and what actually happens.

Whether your program will work with Wine or not...? Maybe. Try it and see.

There's also the case of if there's any drivers this item needs.

If 'some external hardware' is a copy protection dongle, by the way, I'd say the odds are lower than if it's another hardware item.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

kefkafloyd posted:

What's the product/software that's stuck on 32 bit for you?

Old casual games.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Come again?

M1 macs only have Internet Recovery. At least for reinstalling the OS.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BobHoward posted:

Intel Macs have UEFI, firmware complex enough that it's basically its own operating system. It's so feature-rich that Intel Mac Internet Recovery is a UEFI application program. Since it's stored in the same flash chip as the UEFI firmware, you can use it to install a new OS even if the Mac's disk has been completely wiped.

What M1 Macs have given up is that ability to Internet Recover a completely wiped disk. M1 firmware isn't UEFI any more, it's a very minimalistic thing which can only boot a macOS kernel. All special boot services like choosing a boot disk and Internet Recovery are now provided by booting one of the two Recovery partitions (there are two for some redundancy). These are miniature installations of macOS, plus baked-in utility programs like the installer for downloading and installing an OS.

If both of the recovery partitions on a M1 Mac's internal SSD get nuked, it can't run Internet Recovery any more. In fact, it's likely in a state where it can't boot a USB installer either. At that point, the only option is to connect the bricked M1 Mac to a second Mac through a USB cable, and use Apple Configurator 2 running on the working Mac to unbrick the other one.

Ohhh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Martytoof posted:

Wow this Safari update sure is.... going to take some time to get used to.

May I suggest trying Firefox?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Djarum posted:

If Firefox could use Keychain I'd be using it but it can't so I am not.

Yeah, Firefox used to have Keychain integration through a plugin, but those APIs were removed in the grand overhaul.

Now, Firefox acts as its own password manager.
(I'm content to let it.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If you’re OK with Firefox storing passwords within itself instead of using the Keychain… Firefox is there for you. Reliable, more efficient than Chrome*, not owned by an advertising company…

*I suspect it stacks up pretty well with Safari but haven’t seen stats

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That’s a checkbox right in the first screen of the preferences :D

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

It pisses me off so much that Chrome is the only option for heavy dev-ish use, if for no other reason than dogfood — I want to be using what the bulk of Mac users will be using

I webdev on Firefox anyway :v:

Seriously, though, I use Opera as a Chrome substitute for testing. That way I don’t have to worry about Google stealing my pants.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

VOX isn't bad, if you turn off the online features. It also plays .ogg files.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Firefox has an integrated and really straightforward password generator and manager.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sad Panda posted:

Brew is broken somehow but I don't know where or how.

Run the command ‘brew doctor’ and it’ll tell you.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Data Graham posted:

Jeez, that's the turning of a table. Time was that I championed the Mac app installation/deinstallation process for its self-contained directness: just drag an icon into a folder, or to the Trash. Whereas with Windows you always had to run a deinstall wizard or risk a million weird keys being left all over your Registry, and even then you could never be sure you got them all or there weren't any lurking surprises remaining.

I take it that's no longer a thing in Windows then?

I mean, the old System 7 Preferences folder was basically what Application Support is today.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Centrist Committee posted:

Safari 15.1 is buggy as poo poo. Closed tabs forever showing up in the iCloud tabs list, Feedly can't open tabs in named tab groups, closed tabs reappear at random. Safari is a mess. Safari is a waste.

You should switch to Firefox. :D

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Centrist Committee posted:

Oh yeah I have a new music playlist that’s supposed to only show tracks I haven’t played and lol that garbage never syncs across devices. Worlds’s most valuable company, baby.

Ah, so you’re getting a kind of syncing feeling.

:v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Martytoof posted:

Setting up a new Mac has finally urged me to come up with a first-install script that will brew install all my common tools. Not looking forward to seeing how outdated it is by the time I actually use it again.

You'll have to install python and ruby manually soon :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Martytoof posted:

Nah, I avoid this whole mess by just being indecisive. Every time I start to link about learning Python to do a specific thing I get to this point:

No, lemme explain: Brew requires Ruby (I don't think it needs Python but I'm not sure) to run. Soon, Apple is removing those from being preinstalled on every Mac. So, you'll have to manually install Ruby and maybe Python just to install Brew.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Roadie posted:

Apple is removing the system-shipped Ruby / Python / Perl because (a) an overwhelming number of users never use them and (b) they're massively outdated and (c) the people who do use them use the non-outdated versions from Homebrew anyway.

Yeah, but now if you come upon a mac in the wild you won't be able to program on it by default even if the sysadmin locked it down :eng99: :v:

Quackles fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 3, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Python 2 has been deprecated by brew - brew won't even let you install it any more without digging up an old version of the formula.

More broadly, Python 2 has also been suggested as 'don't do it' for people starting new projects.

And I recommend Python 3 myself.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TACD posted:

Is there a Markdown editor for Mac that is:
  • Native (Electron makes me puke)
  • Single-pane, WYSIWYM (who the gently caress wants a dual-pane editor :confused:)
  • One-off purchase
  • Able to read/save files from my file system instead of its own proprietary / hidden cloud database
  • Ideally not completely butt-ugly

It doesn’t seem like an unreasonable list of features but I just can’t find one that meets them all. I’m on the verge of trying to start coding my own because Typora’s bugs are getting to me and I have a feeling the full release will be a paid subscription.

BBEdit.

EDIT: Whoops, I have been informed BBEdit is dual-pane. But it does the rest of the stuff.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 15, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

japtor posted:

Can't you just...hide the second pane in dual pane apps?

The way BBEdit does it, the second pane is actually its own window, which appears when you select 'Preview in BBEdit'.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TACD posted:

So, the reason I’m a bit neurotic about Markdown + local storage is because I’ve spent so much time rotating through different note apps like this already — Evernote, OneNote, Notion, Agenda, Standard Notes — they’re really lovely and beautiful and fun to use, until the free version gets crippled and the subscription becomes exorbitant, or the app keeps growing and bloating until it’s a sluggish mess, or you just want to try something different. And then the proprietary note format and storage means you’re locked in and it’s months of work to move a lifetime of notes over to a new system (I still have things in OneNote I haven’t exported yet.)

Markdown + local storage means my notes are agnostic to whatever app I use on whatever platform and I don’t have to worry if the app I’m using turns to shite because I can easily just switch. Plus I don’t have to create a parallel file system for my notes, because they already live next to whatever files they reference.

Have you considered macOS's Notes app? It's not Markdown and notes are stored internally, but you're never going to have to pay for it and Apple can't ruin it too badly.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ahobday posted:

I use my wireless headphones with Apple Music.

The music starts to play. About five seconds later the volume drops down. I can just turn the volume up, but I'm curious about why this happens.

I don't think it's a headphone thing, because this doesn't happen with any other source of sound (Youtube videos, for example).

But there are no playback settings in Apple Music that seem to be related.

There's also a weird situation where I can turn the volume down one "tick" in macOS and the volume of the music actually goes up. It seems like Apple Music, or something else, is doing some weird volume adjustment.

Any ideas?

In iTunes, or whatever's replaced it these days, is 'lower volume with headphones' set?

I don't know the exact name of the preference, but basically ear protection against songs that are too loud.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I think the 'latest' folder just was an alias to the newest snapshot anyway...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Clearly, the best Mac web browser is... Firefox! Eminently customizable, reliable, and (unlike Chrome) won't steal your pants.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Guitarchitect posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I'm a PC guy so i'm a little out of my depth with some simple Mac stuff.

My daughter started virtual kindergarten today (ugh), and of course for Google Meet she's a little too young to be trying to move a mouse around or her finger on a trackpad. We're using a Macbook Air.

Is there a piece of software (or native way) to bind google meet shortcuts to better/easier keys? "Option+D" to unmute, and god knows what to raise hand, isn't going to cut it. I found one chrome plugin that turns the spacebar into a virtual "walkie talkie" button but when she wants to talk or show and share, she needs to fully unmute. My thinking is that I will just set up a USB numeric keypad with little icons on it, as long as i can somehow bind the keys to act as the shortcuts. Does that make sense - and if so what app/software/native function would I use to set that up?

BetterTouchTool can set up custom keyboard shortcuts that will trigger an app's menu commands, as long as the commands are present in a menu.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Anyone have an equivalent to Hands Off! ?

(Think like Little Snitch, but it had an additional component where it could monitor processes' file access and allow/prevent them from accessing resources on a file-by-file or directory-by-directory basis. I found the latter was the most useful part of it.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

the_lion posted:

In Firefox and Chrome, control tab used to switch tabs. It seems they updated this, because now it selects page elements, not switch tabs.

Anyone know how to switch these to the old behaviour? I can use option command and the arrow keys to switch but that's not convenient.

In Firefox, it's the first setting in the preferences under 'Tabs' (as of 97.0b6).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

~Coxy posted:

ControllerMate can do it but only works up to Mojave.

Alas, poor ControllerMate. Possibly the best and most powerful input-remapping application for macOS.
I knew him, Horatio.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

My new Mac is prompting me as to whether I want to turn on FileVault.

I'm on the fence, because of the possibility of having to theoretically perform data-recovery on the SSD some ways down the road in case of a failure.

What do you think? Is it worth enabling?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Does FileMerge have a three-pane view? I forget.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shaocaholica posted:

Sure and right now the venne diagram of people who meet that criteria and want to game on a Mac is…..500?

I'm standing right here.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

101 posted:

I don't think it'll still be high def by the time video conferencing services compress the poo poo out of it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Data Graham posted:

So guess how I learned that Mail.app apparently now respects "recall" commands issued by Hotmail?

"You're welcome Data Graham [for acting on a request for mod action on a community art site that I've maintained since 1999]. You know you'll always have support from our community! But I have a question: who will take over the site when the sun sets on your time?"

Then the message disappeared as I was reading it

Is it Mail.app, or the associated server?

I admit I have all my mailboxes set to POP3 to ensure a record exists.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You could look into BetterTouchTool. It can integrate with Automator, Applescript, and shell scripts, and it has a lot of useful actions it can do.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

von Braun posted:

My 2017 macbook pro never goes fully to sleep. i notice this on my pc or when i open the macbook since I see it has been connected to IRC for hours when it's actually supposed to be in sleep mode., or randomly joining/disconnecting to IRC.

I have done the stuff google search tells me to check Battery/Power settings, SMC reset etc. Is there any other possible culprits? The IRC client I use on my macbook is Lime Chat.

Go to the Terminal and type in " pmset -g ". If a process is preventing sleep, pmset (the system power-management utility) will tell you what it is.

Once you know that, then you can figure out what to do with the process in question. Even if nothing is preventing sleep, the settings listed there will tell you why your computer might or might not be sleeping.

(If you do try this and post the result here, we might be able to give advice.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

There is no way to change or disable keyboard shortcuts in Outlook for Mac, like, for example, the one that sends an email you're editing. You can't change them, and you can't turn them off.

You can use BetterTouchTool to inhibit the effect of certain keyboard shortcuts while running set applications. Just set up a shortcut for that application and keyboard shortcut, then choose the action "No Action".