Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I downloaded the entire 10.7 image in seconds at work (dedicated 100 Mbps connection). Apple's servers can certainly dish it out.

I'm burning it to DVD now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Workgroup Manager is busted.

I just installed the Server Admin Tools for 10.7. "Server Admin" seems to work, but not "Workgroup Manager".

- Every time you open it, it opens with however many connection dialogs you had open, plus one (open it 20 times, it will open with 20 windows).

- It will NOT connect. I enter in the server name, username, password, then hit enter - it just sits. I can close the program, so I know it isn't locking. It just isn't connecting or doing anything.

I deleted the com.apple.WorkgroupManager* files from ~/Library/Preferences, but it didn't seem to help any.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Has anyone bothered making a bootable DVD yet?

I did. I just bought a new hard drive, so I'm starting with a clean slate.

Installation requires a connection to the Internet, and it does not work with WiFi on some systems.
(I tried this on my MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, and it couldn't find any networks via WiFi. I had to plug in an Ethernet cable.)

You must sign into the Apple Store with the account you purchased Lion with before the install starts. Hello Mac OS X Product Activation.

Also, I have no idea what it is installing from the DVD vs from the Internet. It says it is downloading poo poo, and then said there are 5 hours left of the install. It quickly jumped to "2 hours", "1 hour", and now it's down to just 36 minutes left. So I'm guessing it didn't download much.

Server Admin Tools are completely hosed. I guess no one running the beta has to work with Mac OS X Server. I think I need to wipe my work system and go back to a clean 10.6 install.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

theperminator posted:

What method did you use to create your bootable dvd? I've done it burning InstallESD.dmg and it hasn't asked me for any details yet.

There is only one method.
The App Store purchase downloads a disc image. Burn that and boot from it.

The installation said it needed to verify with Apple before it would copy any files.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I just read that Mac OS X Server 10.7 doesn't support acting as a Primary Domain Controller, and no longer has NFS GUI management.

We spent a gently caress load on Apple Xserves and used them as PDC and NFS servers.
I've been moving to Dell servers to have a better Windows/PDC experience, but I was wanting to stick with Mac OS X Server for the nice NFS GUI.

What does NFS management look like now? The 10.7 Server Admin Tools are a busted loving mess, so I haven't been able to do poo poo with them. They are seriously pre-beta "quality".

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

mayodreams posted:

Another fun tidbit about the 10.7 Admin Tools: you can't access a 10.6.x Server. I found that wonderful fact this morning. I setup Lion as a OD Master, but the client lost it after a couple of hours, and that caused the AD authentication to fail. Also, adding the OD master on client puts the server in the list, but does not actually bind it, which is loving retarded. This is just another gently caress you to enterprise/education customers following the death of Xserves and the clusterfuck that is FCP X.

Well, thanks to how great 10.7 has turned out, starting today we are testing CentOS 6.0.
Our Xserves are aging, with no migration strategy from Apple, and now it's clear that Mac OS X Server is dead.

Because of how bad SMB/NT Authentication was in 10.5/10.6, we had been trying to migrate users to a Windows Server (Server 2003, again because of SMB authentication issues 10.5/10.6 has with 2008/2008R2). The Windows server handled all our Mac and Linux users fine - but we wanted to continue with Apple's server due to how nicely NFS management was (NFS management is a huge pain on Windows).
I thought 10.7 would be the fix we wanted. All new SMB guts (non-Samba), with the NFS control we had come to rely on. Ha!

So yeah, it looks like our Apple servers are being replaced with Dell PowerEdge systems running Windows Server 2003 R2 and CentOS 6. All that surplus cash we would have spent on Apple will just go to pay for more office parties, I guess.
Our Apple servers are several years old, and leaving them to run "as is" with no upgrade path is not what I want.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

10.x.0 releases haven't been very good in the past. Snow Leopard was pretty good, but Lion's definitely been the best so far. It's not without issues, but certainly their best effort yet. I sort of expect it by now though, considering how long they've been working on OS X.

Personally, I've never seen anything as bad as 10.7.0. Not just the circus involving the lack of physical media, but the fact I have to remote into 10.5 and 10.6 systems to do any work since things like the (10.7-specific) Server Admin Tools package is non-functional on 10.7. The File Sharing tool won't let me share files, the Workgroup Manager won't let me manage workgroups, etc. Maybe 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 will fix that.

Besides stuff that doesn't work, the default (and sometimes non-changable) options for applications is just annoying. "Reopen windows when logging back in" cannot be disabled correctly, documents no longer prompt to save when closing them, and all the windows I previously had open all come back open when I go to open just one document.

Not to mention that 10.7 Server seems to be missing 50% of the functionality of 10.5/10.6 Server. I doubt any point-update will restore all the missing functionality Apple removed.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

vikingstrike posted:

This can be changed in Sys Prefs -> General -> Restore windows....

Thank you! That's one down...

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

mayodreams posted:

Yeah, I had some DNS issues that were not present in Snow Leopard too. Once I bound a machine to the OD as well as the AD, it couldn't find the OD DC, and then AD authentication failed. It turns out you need to set the server's DNS to 127.0.0.1 in the System Prefs and relay requests to your real DNS server in the DNS service prefs.

ARD has been sucking a huge cock too in that it 'loses' machines and says it is not active if a Lion machine has a user logged in. I am pretty pissed with the lack of enterprise polish on Lion, but that is par for the course this year with Apple pissing on education/enterprise.

I HAVE to deploy Lion client and server this fall in my computer labs. This is how thrilled I am about that: :smithicide:

Wait, you *have* to deploy Lion Server? Why? 10.7 was the nail in the coffin for us.
I printed up a list of what it is missing compared to 10.5/10.6 and gave it to the higher-ups. 10.6 didn't fix the problems we had with 10.5, and 10.7 removes the File Sharing component we rely on (we mostly use OS X Server for SMB and NFS shares). We can still do SMB & NFS, but the pretty File Sharing interface (the big advantage of Apple's Server compared to Linux or Windows) is now gone with Lion.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Brilliant. Server Admin Tools 10.7.2 are just as broken and non-functional as they were when Mac OS X 10.7 was in beta.

Why does Apple hate enterprise so much?

I just downloaded almost 1.2 Gigabytes of updates to be greeted with the same broken OS and apps as I had in July.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

Brilliant. Server Admin Tools 10.7.2 are just as broken and non-functional as they were when Mac OS X 10.7 was in beta.

Why does Apple hate enterprise so much?

I just downloaded almost 1.2 Gigabytes of updates to be greeted with the same broken OS and apps as I had in July.

Workgroup Manager still fails to connect to any of our servers since updating to 10.7 in July.

It fails to connect, always with this error:
An error of type -14910 occurred.

It has been doing that for three months. This is even on a clean install of 10.7 (not an upgrade).

When I Google that error:

quote:

No results found for "An error of type -14910 occurred.".

I can't believe so few people use Mac OS X Server Admin Tools that Google couldn't fine a single page with the same error on it.

Since July, I just remote into a 10.6 or 10.5 system and run Workgroup Manager that. I shouldn't have to do that.

Besides Workgroup Manager never connecting, the Server Admin tool always displays corrupted icons when browsing the file system. It had issues reading permissions in 10.7.0/10.7.1 (I haven't seen it with 10.7.2. yet).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'd use KeePassX over 1Password.

KeePass is free and supported on Mac/Windows/iOS.

1Password charges for the Mac client, then they charge for their Windows client, and then they charge for their iOS client. Not good if you want it on multiple platforms. Then of course you're locked into their proprietary format.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Xenomorph, have you filed a bug report about it? Or checked in the support forums? Honestly, you might want to just pay $99 for a Mac Dev account so you can bounce this error around the developer forums too. I love that place.

Of course none of this excuses the fact that you've been having the same error for three months now.

You do have a point. I've felt my bug reports to Apple went unnoticed. I filed reports for bugs I found in iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, (etc, etc). They seemed to simply go ignored.

I haven't submitted reports for Mac OS X yes. I guess I'm just spoiled by Windows and Linux. Any problem with Windows or Linux is usually fixed by hitting Google. Usually others have already experienced the same problem and got it fixed.
With Mac OS X problems (and we have a lot), I can Google for hours, and usually end up with no information. Everything from Server Admin tools to failures with NFS user homes.

I'll submit a bug report for the server tools.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

FamDav posted:

To the person who mentioned KeePassX, how well does it work with an iPhone? There's about 3 apps and they all seem iffy.

EDIT: Yeah 1Password is definitely price gouging, but when other options have poor interfaces across multiple platforms, what are you going to do :(.

PassDrop is what I use on my iPhone.

KeePass (Windows), KeePassX (Mac OS X), and PassDrop (iOS) all open my KeePass database file (protected with a 16-character passphrase) from my Dropbox share, so it's always in sync with all my devices and computers.

chimz posted:

Googling for "An error of type 14910 occurred" gives me over a million results. FYI, Google interprets a minus sign as 'exclude documents with this word in it'. :downs:

Google says it looks like the clocks on the machines are out of sync, and Kerberos is unhappy about that. Try re-syncing the clocks and killing your Kerberos tickets.

It can't hurt to call support or file a bug with Apple.

I put it in quotes, since it's an exact error message.

When I do NOT put in the minus sign:

quote:

No results found for "An error of type 14910 occurred".

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm trying to use the Tragic Macpads. My primary concern is that I'll like it so much that I'll want to use it on every computer I touch.

Does anyone here feel it is truly superior to a Mouse?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
A co-worker got a new MacBook Pro (w/ 10.7), and used Time Machine to restore their files/settings from their old MacBook Pro (w/ 10.6, upgraded from 10.5, upgraded from 10.4).
They ended up with a mess of nasty crap, like ancient HP drivers and Cisco VPN kexts in /System, messed up permissions, etc.
I removed the problem kexts that I could identify, and most permissions have been reset.

However, coreaudiod now pegs the CPU at 100%. The CPU fan is always spinning, the system is slow, etc. coreaudiod just restarts when we kill the process.

Any way to figure out what is messing up Audio? Old kext? browser plugin?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm not an expert with Time Machine backups yet, but this keeps happening:

- Connect/mount disk.
- Select it for backup.
- Time Machine runs.
- At the end of backup, Time Machine unmounts the disk, then just sits there.

It says "Next backup: When disk is connected"

Console has this in it after the backup runs:
code:
1/26/12 3:57:17.308 PM com.apple.backupd: Ejected Time Machine disk image.
I've clicked on the Time Machine status icon and selected "Back Up Now", and Time Machine just complains that it can't access the disk.

Right now I have a daemon in ~/Library/LaunchAgents that tries to remount the drive every 10 minutes. After seeing how well that works (so far, so good), I will stretch it out to every 30 minutes.

Why would Time Machine eject/unmount the disk it's backing up to?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there anything to watch out for when doing Time Machine backups to a sparseimage on an SMB-shared network drive?

Would a network drop cause the "disk" to be corrupted?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, 10.7.3 is installed, and Server Admin Tools 10.7.3 are installed.

Workgroup Manager still gives the An error of type -14910 occurred error.
Server Admin still has trouble reading ACLs from the login server, and still displays folders/icons deformed on first load.

When I Google the error in Workgroup Manager, the only results I find are me bitching about it in the past on this forum and MacRumors. It's been over half a year, and server interaction is just completely loving dead on any system with Lion installed. I have to remote in from my Mac running Lion to any other Mac running 10.5 or 10.6 just to manage our servers.

I've submitted bug reports with 10.7.0, 10.7.1, 10.7.2, and 10.7.3.

This Lion poo poo has majorly accelerated our "all Apple servers go into the trash" plans.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

mayodreams posted:

I started to mess around with Lion server again, and its still a loving dumpster fire. I took my frustation out in photoshop.

We have four out of five remaining Apple servers set to be replaced now with Dells running Windows or Linux. The release of 10.7 Lion (and all updates that fixed nothing) finalized the roadmap.
It's not just the server that is terrible, all of the 10.7 server tools (for managing older versions of Mac OS X) are broken.
Trying to get help with Apple Servers is impossible, as hardly anyone bothered running it in the first place, and Apple itself turned its back on it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Even with all the hatred I have for 10.7 (Mac OS X Vista), I'm liking the iOS stuff more and more. Mac OS X 10.8 may be what finally gets Mac into everyone's home.

iOS, iPhones, and iPads have really made an impact, and having all that fun on a computer is just nuts. iMessage, Notes, Game Center? Yes please!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

invid posted:

How useful is iDefrag? There seems to be a mixed bag of reviews and it is quite expensive to purchase. What is general consensus on its usefulness?

TIA

We've actually purchased multiple copies of this for where I work.

Apple's recommended method to "defrag" is to back up your data, format your drive, reinstall Mac OS X, then restore your data from backup!
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375

On one of my systems it reduced my boot-up time by 40 seconds.

I've seen a lot of Macs that were insanely fragmented.

1997 posted:

Useless.

It seemed pretty neat to me.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
When I click the "Applications" folder on my Dock in 10.8/Mountain Lion (or any dock folder), the mouse wheel scrolling seems all off.

It use to be quicker, with a little bit of over-shoot. It would scroll the page 1 row of icons at a time.

With 10.8, it scrolls very slowly.

How can I get the Dock folders to scroll like they did in previous versions of Mac OS X??

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

decypher posted:

This was one of the first things I noticed after upgrading. Flick the mouse wheel and it barely moves!

It seems to scroll like a web page now, barely 1 small line at a time. I logged into a 10.6 system, and each scroll was more like a Page-down.

Before 10.8:
Quick flick to shoot down the list, click my app.

10.8:
I find myself flicking half a dozen times while the jerky Applications window scrolls down. It seriously takes 6+ scrolls to get the same spot 1 or 2 did with previous versions.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ha! I just found out Disk Utility doesn't let you manage NFS mounts any more. It doesn't remove existing mounts or anything, it just prevents you from removing them or adding new ones.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm having a weird installation issue on a client's system with Mountain Lion.

MacBookPro4,1 (GeForce 8600M GT)
Mac OS X 10.6.8 (all updates installed)
~35 GB free disk space (single partition, no bootcamp)

- Ran Disk Utility & repaired permissions.
- Ran Disk Utility (from 10.6 boot disc) to run "repair disk" (no errors found).

We're trying to install 10.8/Mountain Lion (downloaded). The installer runs, he selects his hard drive, it copies files, then reboots - and he ends right back up at his 10.6 Desktop.

No errors, nothing.

How do I start to diagnose this?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

I'm having a weird installation issue on a client's system with Mountain Lion.

We're trying to install 10.8/Mountain Lion (downloaded). The installer runs, he selects his hard drive, it copies files, then reboots - and he ends right back up at his 10.6 Desktop.

No errors, nothing.

How do I start to diagnose this?

I feel dumb. I was just double-clicking the DMG and then running the installer from that (a reboot would cause the DMG to unmount).

I dragged the installer to the Desktop and ran it from there. Mountain Lion installed fine, then.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm sure this absolutely futile:

Is there any way for me to apply Exchange rules to my email?

Outlook for Mac: You can only apply local rules. You can create/edit Exchange rules, but it does not let you apply them.

OWA: Same as Mac client. You can create/edit rules, but not apply them.

Mail (10.8): Like Outlook for Mac, it only lets you apply local rules.

Do I really need to load a Windows virtual machine just to apply a rule?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Wow, yeah, I've had Powerpoint users be really jealous of Keynote presentations.

In my office, apparently we only use Keynote.

Word
Excel
Keynote

I don't know why, actually. Someone had started using it some time back (I don't know how old it is), and so everything is set up in Keynote format now. I have a script set up to extract PDF files from the Keynote presentations and copy them to our web site to make it easy to share some of our presentations. Does PowerPoint automatically save PDF embedded in its file?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

decypher posted:

Yes, I do believe PDFs inserted in a PowerPoint are not linked but embedded in the file. If that's your question?

In Keynote, when you save, it can be set to save the presentation in two formats at the same time.
Think of making something from scratch in PowerPoint, hitting the Save button, and it creating a PPT ~and~ PDF file. Instead of two files, it's a single file. We're not embedding a PDF, the program is creating a PDF.

This lets us make one presentation and then load it up on a computer or web browser. The PDF version lacks animation/sound/etc, but it matches a static presentation perfectly.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
This bugged the poo poo out of me:

quote:

A fix for an issue that may cause the desktop picture to change after logging out or restarting

Every time I'd log out or restart, my wallpaper was different.

Not only that, but Mac OS X saved the wallpaper based on which video card I was using. I'd have to set my wallpaper when using Intel/Integrated, then force the system to Discreet/NVidia and set the wallpaper again. That was my "work around" to try and keep the wallpaper from changing so much.

Edit:
It's still doing it with 10.8.3! I set the wallpaper with one video card, but it still shows the old wallpaper with the other video card.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 15, 2013

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Windows 8 gets a Twitter client. When can we get Twitter for Mac back? :(

Get it back? Is it gone?

I've used Twitter for both Mac OS X and Windows 8, and the Mac OS X client is a LOT better.

I couldn't find Lists on the Windows 8 app, and it is of course full-screen. The one for Mac OS X just runs in a little window and lets me view my lists.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I don't know if this is a dumb question:

Is there a way for me to remotely manage a Windows Server 2012 system via command line?

Would "PASH" allow it?

I'm able to sit in Terminal all day with our FreeBSD, Apple, and Linux servers, but I have to load up Remote Desktop GUI or VMware or whatever just to get right back to the command line in a PowerShell window on a Server 2012 box.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

Had just an awful time getting my mid-10 MacBook Pro to upgrade. That's not surprising though as it's probably the worst machine Apple has ever made. I wish I could throw it out a loving window.

What do you mean by this? Is the 2010 that bad?

I use a 2010 MacBook Pro.

Issues I've had:

* USB sometimes stops working (I have to unplug and plug a mouse back in).
* It sometimes seems like not enough power is on the USB ports. Trying to restore an iPhone or flash an Android in download mode fails (I have more success on my 2006 MacBook Pro).
* The screen becomes kinda blueish when the discrete graphics kick in.
* OS X (under 10.7 and 10.8, I don't know about 10.9 and I don't remember 10.6 doing this) will save a different wallpaper for integrated and discrete video.
* The discrete graphics kick in all the loving time. Open my picture in Users & Groups? NVidia kicks in. Open Microsoft Office? NVidia kicks in. Open any web browser? NVidia kicks in. Open pretty much anything? NVidia kicks in. I get about ~3 hours of battery life. I can get almost double that if I try to force integrated graphics with gfxCardStatus (but it fails more and more with each new version of OS X).

I've bitched about automated graphic switching on other forums. I hate it.

I was looking at the new Retina MacBook Pro - the high-end one that is Intel-only. That will definitely NOT have graphic switching.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

outlier posted:

I'm in no tearing hurry to upgrade to Mavericks. Sounds like it might be wise to wait a while and let the bugs shake-out. Agree/disagree?

I recall annoyances with the 10.7 and 10.8 releases, but I haven't had any issues with 10.9.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
* Random super-long shutdowns (nearly 1 minute) instead of quick. I thought things were bad in 10.7/8/9.

* I hate that the + button defaults to FULL SCREEN mode unless you hold the Option/Alt key.

App Store:

* Keeps asking me to tie bundled applications to my Apple ID. They are already tied to it. I tried signing out and then back in, rebooting, etc.

* Notified me that there is 1 update available for Apple Remote Desktop. 3.7.2 from March 2014. I already run 3.7.2. When I try to update it says:

"Remote Desktop is already installed on this computer. Choose Software Update from the Apple menu to check for available updates."

If I try to re-install 3.7.2 (manual download from Apple's site), it says I have a newer version installed (even though 3.7.2 is the latest).

Other than that, things have worked well with 10.10.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Does anyone recall how to fix Classic apps (Mac OS 8, 9) that have been moved to a "non Apple" file system?

Their resource forks (or whatever) were stripped, and now the system no longer sees them as applications.

With OS X apps, it's as easy as "chmod +x", but that doesn't work with Classic apps.

I have some old scientific apps that I need to resurrect.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Supposedly trimforce is in OS X 10.10.4.

code:
sudo trimforce enable
Is all you should have to do now for TRIM on third party SSDs. I don't have a properly configured system to confirm.

I can play with it tonight on one of my systems. My 2010 MBP has an OWC w/ SandForce controller. I work with some people that have an 840 EVO and an 850 EVO. I'm very interested in how well it works for them. My 2007 Mac Pro has an Intel 530 (SandForce). I won't get around to updating Yosemite on it until later.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

tuyop posted:

TRIM sounds like a good thing. Is there any potential downside to turning it on?

In most cases, no, TRIM has no downsides. Enabling it helps improve an SSD's built-in maintenance and garbage collection. TRIM can help reduce excess writes, help keep write performance fast & consistent, and help prolong drive life.

However, some drives have had issues with TRIM.

* Some older drives didn't work right with it, sometimes leading to data loss. It was usually because of buggy firmware. (This is probably not something to worry about any more.)

* Some Samsung and Crucial drives were found to have issues with TRIM on Linux (see https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/ and http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/M500-M5x0-QUEUED-TRIM-data-corruption-alert-mostly-for-Linux/td-p/151028).

* In certain configurations (usually when an adapter is used) a drive that identifies as supporting TRIM ends up causing a hang when the system cannot actually send the TRIM command to the drive. I have a ThinkPad T43 with two PATA to SATA adapters. Windows is unusable until I disable TRIM.

I'm going to enable TRIM on my SandForce drives (as they seemed to work fine when I used TRIM Enabler), but I will wait a few days before I recommend our Samsung users enable it (both of whom have been going without TRIM in order to avoid any issues with kext signing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
*cringe*