Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

beefnoodle posted:

Is there a way to view the transfer rate in the App Store like there is with iTunes downloads?

Go to your Purchased tab, you can watch it downloading there.

(Downloaded in 30 min for me, thanks FiOS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Couple of questions:

- After you install Lion does it delete the file you downloaded? I realized I want to do the DMG thing and make a USB installer, but I've already installed it and it's not clear if it kept the installation file.

- Is there a newer XCode out now? I thought I had the version from the MAS but when I launch it I get an error saying XCode 3 is not compatible with Lion (of course). The Mac Dev Center seems to be overwhelmed right now (maybe other people trying to download xcode?)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

KidDynamite posted:

If you have a paid dev account you can get Xcode 4 for free. If not it's 5 bucks on the app store.

And no sadly Xcode 3 does not work on Lion. I hope some new Obj-C, OS X, and iOS books come out written using Xcode 4.

I realize this, but I don't see Xcode on the MAS anymore. Searching for 'xcode' just comes up with some shortcuts app. It's still in my Purchased list but when I click on it I get a "Could not complete this request" error.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Xcode is back up on the MAS and free for Lion users.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/xcode/id448457090?mt=12

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Kobayashi posted:

Question about software: Any recommendations for money management and accounting? I used to use MS Money; now I use Gnucash. But being a Gnu application, it is dreadful on OSX. I also use Mint.com and an Excel spreadsheet for forecasting. Gnucash is my actual transaction register of record, though.

I've been using Koku lately and like it.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Vertigus posted:

I use jitouch to re-enter the 21st century, where having a middle mouse button/3-finger tap to open new tabs is a no-brainer.

Holy poo poo thanks for this. I had the same issues with three-finger click and BTT not working half the time and thought it was a lost cause. jitouch seems to work every time for me reliably. (I prefer clicks to taps) I thought I was doomed to ctrl-click forever :(

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
John Siracusa spent two episodes of Hypercritical talking about ZFS and Apple (and filesystems and HFS+), I found it very interesting:

http://5by5.tv/hypercritical/56
http://5by5.tv/hypercritical/57

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Any other Retina MBP owners having issues with three-finger-click? On my previous MBP (mid-2010) I used jitouch, and before that bettertouchtool to make three-finger-click into middleclick for opening links in Firefox. Worked fine, never had any problems. On my new MBP neither of those seem to work anymore. Since it's using a special build of Lion and (I think) the middleclick is done through a private API, I'm wondering if something has changed internally.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I believe only the Airs (and newer Macbooks?) can boot the Windows installer from USB, it was something they added so that Boot Camp would work on the Airs. I don't have a source but I recall seeing this somewhere when trying to install Windows via USB on my 2010 MBP a while back.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Bonobos posted:

What's the easiest, most idiot proof way to convert my DVD movie collection into HQ iTunes compatible movies these days?

I already have Ripit (which is an awesome DVD ripper to rip into ISO, I know it can encode, but this again doesn't do anything for tagging). So basically I am looking for something I can just take the file I ripped with Ripit, and encode it into a high-quality movie format (auto-tagged would be ideal) so that I can play it in iTunes / iOS devices.

I read that iVi, iFlicks and Roadmovie would do what I am asking, but I can't seem to find a consensus on which is best. Handbrake seems that it has way too many options (and I no idea which settings would look the best while taking the least amount of space). Also, that doesn't help with the tagging, which I believe it doesn't do last I checked. I also read that there is an automated version of Handbrake, but I can't seem to find it (anyways I read its based on an old version and is unstable). I have roughly about 300+ movies to convert, so I would like something automated if at all possible.

Since I would like to do this only once I do not mind spending money to get a better product...any suggestions?

It's not as automated as you like but this is what I do:

- Rip DVDs and Blu-Rays with my Windows PC (using AnyDVD - can't help you on the Mac side here but seems like ripit will do the job)
- Use Handbrake, with AppleTV2 preset
-- I'm ripping mine for my AppleTV, and these rips seem to work ok with my iPad, although I guess you can use the Universal preset too
-- I don't usually alter the settings, except subtitles if necessary (Handbrake nightly build has BR subtitle support) and I usually leave the audio as-is unless it's an old movie with 2-channel sound only, where I take out the AC3 track and just leave AAC in
- Use iDentify to tag with metadata and cover images for the AppleTV

Works fine for me. I've gone through most of my DVD/BR library this way.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Mug posted:

Can you buy Mountain Lion on DVD? I only have a 50gb per month limit at the moment due to being a poor person.

You can buy Lion on a thumb drive, so maybe they'll do the same for ML.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Akujunkan posted:

I switch Spaces all the time, and the delay in Mountain Lion is way, way too long because it does this gradual slide instead of quick snap. Any ideas how to make that quicker?

This bugs me as well (in Lion), a few weeks ago I looked around and the Internet consensus seems to be that there isn't a way to make it faster. You can increase the speed of the Mission Control transition (the swipe up) but not the side to side transition. Maybe there's something in ML that has changed but I somehow doubt it.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you lose rEFIt upon moving to ML?

I didn't.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I have CrashPlan running on every computer in my house. It is a great solution as long as you are willing to wait for the initial upload as it can take a while. You could spring for them to mail you a drive. Also, it takes up hardly any system resources.

You also probably want to hang onto a local Time Machine backup as well so if poo poo goes South you can restore quickly.

I'm a big fan of Crashplan and have a family plan backing up all of my computers as well (including a few dozen gigabytes of data from my file server). With fast Internet it's not too bad on the upload (I have FiOS and it took a couple of days to do the initial upload)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

do it posted:

Does anyone have opinions on VPN clients? A few that I'm considering are Viscosity, Tunnelblick, and the native client in preferences.

Does OS X have a native OpenVPN client now? Viscosity and Tunnelblick are both OpenVPN clients. I've used Tunnelblick before and it works fine. I've also used the native client with PPTP and IPsec VPNs and it works fine (and I prefer this to OpenVPN when possible).

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

snakeater posted:

I think the best thing about OmniFocus is that you don't actually have to subscribe to GTD, or at least totally commit to it, for the app to be of value. I dropped my GTD workflow a while back, and I still find it the best project management/todo application on the Mac.

Download the trial and check out David Spark's screencasts to get a feel for it.

If you like his screencasts, check out his great podcast Mac Power Users.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Bonobos posted:

Not sure if I should ask here or in the mouse thread, but since we are talking software...how is the logitech software for OSX? I know a few years ago the consensus was to just use STEETMOUSE or similar, but supposedly their drivers / software has gotten better?

Or is it still a buggy mess? Mouse is a G500S btw.

I've been using SmoothMouse and I like it a lot. http://smoothmouse.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Ratjaculation posted:

Guys its MSc time. Any recommendations on reference management?

I like BibDesk, there's also Papers. BibDesk is open source and free, and worked good enough for my needs (100 references or so, relatively minor).