Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I need some input. I have a new iMac which I just finished setting up. Besides my OSX applications, I also have bootcamp running Win7.

I would like to do a clean install as everyone seems to be recommending, but I don't want to screwup my Windows installation. Will a clean install have any impact on my bootcamp partition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Note to all users wanting to remove the login name, battery meter, clock, etc from your Menu Bar. Simply hold Cmd and drag the icon out. It disappears into the ether.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Haggins posted:

Cool, now how do I get it to move over so there isn't an empty space?

I never experienced this so I'd say rebooting might fix this as already suggested.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Xandu posted:

Since the latest update seems to have broken Transmission, what other good torrent programs are there for mac?

edit: I downloaded vuze, but it seems a lot more powerful than I need.

Try uTorrent. It's a small, simple, and easy to use torrent program. I prefer it greatly over Vuze.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My comments on Lion:
I've seen some weird graphical glitches as previously described but only in Finder.

I've experienced one hard lock where only the cursor would respond.

It's all anecdotal but there's something oddly comforting in knowing your problems aren't unique.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I hope this is the best place to post this.

I currently have an iMac with a 256GB SSD (~155GB partitioned for OSX). All of my media (music, movies, films, vacations pics, etc) are stored on a separate external 1TB USB HDD. I also use TimeMachine to backup my PC plus my media drive on a separate HDD.

I was thinking about buying a WesterDigital 6TB My Book to consolidate my Media and backups, but I'm trying to be as efficient as possible. Since TimeMachine will continue filling its backup drive until full I was thinking that I should buy the 6TB drive, set it up as a RAID1, and partition 500GB for TimeMachine and just dump all of my media on the remaining 2.5TB. That way I have the media covered via RAID1 and the OSX stuff covered (although redundantly) via TimeMachine.

Is this possible?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The way that Apple handles Gmail always pisses me the gently caress off. Does anyone have a simple guide how to configure Mail.app to work 100% with Gmail so when I press delete the message is moved to Gmail trash and when I press archive they're moved to All Mail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I seem to have finally figured out how to get all of my standard folders (Inbox, Spam, Sent, Trash) working with the exception of Archive.

All of the guides I find online basically have you trading delete option for archive. Is mail.app gimped in the same way as the iOS mail application where I must manually move things from my inbox to 'All Mail' when I want to archive.?