Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I started using my iPad as an AirPlay display, and it works surprisingly well, but is there any way to disable the pseudo touchbar and weird sidebar that are taking up screen real estate on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Yes there is. It’s in the settings there when you airplay it.

I just did it last night on my MBP.

Thanks! I was looking everywhere in the AirPlay and display settings. Took me awhile to find the separate sidecar settings.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Any idea why network file sharing between my M1 MacBook and desktop Windows PC is insanely, unbelievably slow (7mbps read, 5mbps write from the Mac)? I've been troubleshooting this for the past couple hours and I'm out of ideas. I've found several Reddit/blog/forum posts going back years complaining about SMB and providing possible solutions (turn off SMB signing, turn off TCP ack, disable writing .DS_Store files, changing min/max SMB credits on the Windows machine, mount the drive with "Connect to server" not the Finder sidebar), but nothing has worked. No other machine in the house has speed issues with this PC, and it happens both over WiFi and ethernet.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

ihafarm posted:

How are you mounting the share?

“Connect to server” > smb://address in Finder.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

ihafarm posted:

Any difference if you specify ‘cifs://address’?

No difference at all :(

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

I have like half of my 2016 MBP's drive currently occupied by "Other" data. I updated to Big Sur and it's now completely hosed.

I've cleared time machine local snapshots and done a disk utility first aid run. Grand Perspective also just labels this all as "Misc".

It currently won't allow me to update xcode because there's not enough space and I need to do that. What should I do?

I came here to post about this same issue. DaisyDisk revealed a 270GB attachments folder for Messages, despite using Messages in iCloud and System Information reporting only 58GB being used by Messages. Even 58GB seems excessive if I have iCloud enabled and one of the stated perks is that it "helps you save space". This also explain why I very nearly blew past my internet data cap for the month. Very frustrating.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going through the painful process of importing tons of old digital camcorder videos into iCloud Photo Library. Is there a good tool for editing/adding metadata to video? I want to at least geotag and add dates and times to everything, but unless I'm missing something, this seems a lot less straightforward than it is for photos.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I have a 16GB M1 MBA and I’m struggling with horrible, show stopping performance issues and bugs in the Photos app. Long start up times, jerky scrolling through the library, iCloud sync issues, crashes, extremely slow imports and exports, you name it. My photo library is on an external spinning disk that otherwise doesn’t have any issues, and it consists of about 100,000 photos and videos. Before I start heading down the lengthy troubleshooting rabbit hole, has anyone else had similar issues on Big Sur or their M1?

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Violator posted:

Was it working fine on a previous computer?

This is my first time using Photos in a serious way so I have no point of reference there.

the corona quid posted:

External drive is the issue friendo. Mine is on my NAS and even over Ethernet it's a bit of a struggle.

I was worried this might be the case. I figured it would be rough but it still seems excessively bad. I timed it with a stopwatch, and starting the app after rebooting shows a spinner for 5 minutes and 34 seconds before my library pops up. I just exported 4 screenshots totaling 8MB and it took 70 seconds.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I definitely plan to get one eventually, but my photo library is over 1TB so the options are still a bit too expensive for me.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Chris Knight posted:

Photos has this automatic non-opt-out able facial recognition job that churns through your library when first installed. Is there anything in Activity Monitor that's pegging the CPU and hard drive?

I actually wanted this feature to work, but it refused to do any kind of indexing or syncing whatsoever. No background processes running up the CPU and almost no network activity.

I finally bit the bullet on a 2TB SSD and as soon as I moved my library over, all of my problems were fixed instantly. It immediately started indexing photos and syncing with iCloud, and I haven’t run into any performance issues whatsoever.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know to what extent the Monterey Safari redesign can be rolled back in preferences? Trying to keep an open mind but I feel like I’m going to hate it!

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Any recommendations on a good Finder alternative? I miss Directory Opus coming from the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Glad it's not just me. I've been trying to transfer a 100GB file over the network from an external SSD. This takes about 6 hours but macOS never goes that long without spontaneously disconnecting the SSD. Extremely frustrating.